No Death Penalty. What Is Your Position?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truster

Note that what has been expressed has been based on what the scriptures themselves say (2 Timothy 4:2-4).

You use scripture for support and not for illumination. You attempt to support a lie with the truth. This is what Satan did with Eve and what Satan tried with Yah Shua in the wilderness.

bibleverse2

You use scripture for support and not for illumination. You attempt to support a lie with the truth. This is what Satan did with Eve and what Satan tried with Yah Shua in the wilderness.

Note that no scripture has been used to support a lie (1 Thessalonians 2:13).

The devil's theology is to contradict God's Word with something which sounds better to humans, in order to deceive them into rejecting God's will (Genesis 3:1-6, Matthew 16:21-23; 1 Timothy 4:1; 2 Timothy 4:3-4).

Also, to arrive at correct doctrine, a verse in one place in the Bible must be compared with (conditioned by) other, related verses elsewhere in the Bible (Isaiah 28:9-10; 1 Corinthians 2:13). Our doctrine must be based on what the entire Bible says (2 Timothy 3:16, Matthew 4:4), and not just on what some unconditioned verses say.

For example, note how Jesus Christ put a condition on the verse in Matthew 4:6 (Psalms 91:12) with the verse in Matthew 4:7 (Deuteronomy 6:16). When Jesus said: "It is written again" (Matthew 4:7), He was referring to the principle of Isaiah 28:9-10. For in Matthew 4:7 the original Greek word (palin: G3825) translated as "again" can mean "furthermore" (Strong's Greek Dictionary).

Truster

Note that no scripture has been used to support a lie (1 Thessalonians 2:13).

The devil's theology is to contradict God's Word with something which sounds better to humans, in order to deceive them into rejecting God's will (Genesis 3:1-6, Matthew 16:21-23; 1 Timothy 4:1; 2 Timothy 4:3-4).

Also, to arrive at correct doctrine, a verse in one place in the Bible must be compared with (conditioned by) other, related verses elsewhere in the Bible (Isaiah 28:9-10; 1 Corinthians 2:13). Our doctrine must be based on what the entire Bible says (2 Timothy 3:16, Matthew 4:4), and not just on what some unconditioned verses say.

For example, note how Jesus Christ put a condition on the verse in Matthew 4:6 (Psalms 91:12) with the verse in Matthew 4:7 (Deuteronomy 6:16). When Jesus said: "It is written again" (Matthew 4:7), He was referring to the principle of Isaiah 28:9-10. For in Matthew 4:7 the original Greek word (palin: G3825) translated as "again" can mean "furthermore" (Strong's Greek Dictionary).

You have an intellectual understanding of scripture and theology, but what you have is outward and possessed by many. You have no inward work, understanding or love of the truth.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
You must forgive them if you are to be forgiven by God for your own sins (Matthew 6:15).

And you must not come against them with any physical force (Matthew 5:39), but must leave that to the secular powers (Romans 13:4).

(See also post #4 above)

so if i come across a man raping a little girl and watch him proceed to kill her, i shouldn't intervene?

i should just forgive him and go on my merry way?

Bradley D

As a Christian I am to always love others and hope for conversion of sinners. Jesus told the woman to go and sin no more. Romans 13 Paul tells me that God has set up governments, because they are needed and if I break the law I must pay for it. I am against the death penalty. I believe life in prison gives a person time to repent and be saved. If not they will will have to face God the Ultimate Judge in the end. That will be worse than the death penalty. Also I find that too many people have been cleared of death penalty charges through DNA and other means. One person wrongly put to death is one too many.

Bradley D

It did not say that there were not two or more witnesses. "caught in the act of adultery." Also Jesus told the woman to "go, and sin no more."

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
. . . if I break the law I must pay for it. I am against the death penalty.

These two sentences do not go together.

Someone who breaks the law, "do not murder," must pay for it with his life, because God said "life for life."

I believe life in prison gives a person time to repent and be saved.

Bradley, are you a parent?

If not they will will have to face God the Ultimate Judge in the end. That will be worse than the death penalty. Also I find that too many people have been cleared of death penalty charges through DNA and other means. One person wrongly put to death is one too many.

We'll get to this after you answer my question...

Bradley D

a curious thing to say, for sure, especially in light of his prior statement that indicated that alland how many innocent people killed by murderers allowed to escape justice are too many?

One murder is one too many. God will judge all in the end. If I were murdered I would not want the person to receive the death penalty. King David had Bathsheba's husband Uriah killed, because he committed with Bathsheba.

Right Divider

Body part

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
One murder is one too many.

:thumb:

God will judge all in the end.

Sure, He will. But in the meantime, He expects governments to punish criminals appropriately.

If I were murdered I would not want the person to receive the death penalty.

Sorry, Brad, but you're too nice. You're trying to be nicer than God, and that's a sin.

Arthur Brain

You think that Jesus would have rejected the law?

There were already witnesses to the event. They were trying to wrangle a charge against Jesus but instead were taught their own lesson, that none of them were sinless. Where it comes to OT law then Jesus brought about change didn't He? Why have the NT if everything was supposed to carry on as old? That doesn't mean that the law is discarded either.

Scripture does not say. Care to make some wild speculation?

I wouldn't say it was "wild" exactly but my speculation is that Jesus may have written a list on the ground of behaviours that everyone in the crowd would at least have been guilty of some; lying, coveting, greed, lust etc. Not one person in the crowd felt confident enough to lay claim to be without sin and pick up a stone did they?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Tragic. No other word. What about all of those who could have been exonerated and reunited with their loved ones if they hadn't been swiftly executed? Have you got a word for that?

criminally tragic

and so we have no good outcome for those who are wrongfully convicted

so let's drop from the conversation any pretense that "compensation" has any validity

Status
Not open for further replies.