NFL Off Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Yes it is.

Since 1960, Pittsburgh is 13-3 in major sports championships.

Steelers 6-2 (Super Bowls)
Pirates 3-0 (World Series)
Penguins 4-1 (Stanley Cup Finals)

I feel bad for you St. Louis fans. On one hand you guys have the second greatest team in baseball (behind the Yankees), but your Blues have never won a Stanley cup, and your NFL Cardinals and Rams have both left.

Since 1960, besides Pittsburgh, only New York City and Boston have 3 pro sports teams that have won at least 3 pro championships each.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Since 1960, besides Pittsburgh, only New York City and Boston have 3 pro sports teams that have won at least 3 pro championships each.

And today the NFL denied Josh Gordon's reinstatement request. Browns be Browns....

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What do you think of Terrelle Pryor leaving the Browns for the Redskins?

If I was a WR, I would not want to play for Cleveland.

He only signed a one year deal, and took less money. He has Kirk Cousins to make him look better. I don't think he stays long, assuming he has a big year. He might be hedging to that outcome. He does not have Randy Moss's natural ability, but has every bit the athleticism. You have seen his run in Oakland.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You have seen his run in Oakland.

Yep. I watched it live, he broke Kordell's record (at the time). I also remember watching Kordell's live.

Longest runs from scrimmage by a QB:

1) 93 yards - Terrelle Pryor (2013)

2) 90 yards - Colin Kaepernick (2014)

3) 87 yards - Marcus Mariota (2015)

4) 80 yards - Kordell Stewart (1996)

Kordell's record stood for 18 years until Pryor broke it, then Kaepernick and Mariota topped it also.

**** Pryor's 93 yard run also broke Bo Jackson's 92 yard run for longest run in Raider's history.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Browns be Browns....

Speaking of the Browns, the coach let it slip that he wanted the Ohio State safety that had all those pic sixes in his one year. And the team traded down to to take the tweener Jabril Peppers from Michigan. I went to the Ohio State board, and it was a melt down.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Tony Dorsett has the longest run in NFL history with 99 yards. A record that can be tied, but never broken.

So.....Dorsett has the longest run in NFL history, and Pryor has the longest run by a QB in NFL history.

The connection between the two?..... Both were born and raised in Pittsburgh.

Jerry Shugart

The connection between the two?..... Both were born and raised in Pittsburgh.

As usual you are delusional as Dorsett was born in Rochester and raised in Aliquippa-- not Pittsburgh.

Next you will be claiming that Tony played for the Steelers and not the Cowboys.

You still think that the Steelers are America's team!

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
As usual you are delusional as Dorsett was born in Rochester and raised in Aliquippa-- not Pittsburgh.

Jerry, Jerry, Jerry.......Aliquippa and Rochester (not Rochester, NY) are about 10 miles down the river from Heinz Field.

And, if Dorsett was raised in Aliquippa like you claim, why didn't he go to Aliquippa High School? Dorsett went to Hopewell High School. Hopewell is where Pittsburgh International Airport is. Notice it's not called "Hopewell" International Airport, it's called "Pittsburgh" International Airport.

Nope, the Steelers are Pittsburgh's team. The Steelers turned down being called "America's Team" after they beat the Cowboy's in Super Bowl X.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
When everyone knows Atlanta is America's team.

First it goes about its business picking up steam while no one really notices.

Then as the wins mount the talking heads in the sports community laugh and remind us "it's Atlanta" refusing to take its chances seriously.

Eventually they sit slack jawed while the Falcons beat everyone to advance to the largest sports stage.

And, of course, when it finally gets that opportunity to show everyone what its made of it comes apart like a train held together by gum.

Atlanta, making the underdog narrative "grate" again. :)

Jerry Shugart

The Steelers turned down being called "America's Team" after they beat the Cowboy's in Super Bowl X.

Yea, in Art Rooney's dreams!

You also failed to note that the best player in the history of the Steelers, Mean Joe Green, was born and raised in Texas!

I really, really enjoyed watching the Steelers beat Dorsett and the Cowboys in Super Bowl XIII

I even enjoyed it more watching the Boys beat the Steelers the last time the two met in the Super Bowl.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Steelers were something in the 1970's I heard.
Pretty good in the 2000s too.

Just for fun...

The Steelers owned the 70s with a 3 to 2 SB edge over Miami.
The Niners owned the 80s with a 3 to 2 edge over Washington.
The Cowboys owned the 90s with a 3 to 2 edge over SF and Denver.
The Pats owned 2000-2009 with a 3 to 2 edge over the Steelers.

With two years left on the 2010-2019 run it's the Pats 2 and a six teams who could tie and/or take the decade: NO (unlikely), GB (possible), Gia (iffy) Bal (unlikely), Seattle (maybe), and Denver (with Romo, one thing, with what they have, not going to happen).

Jerry Shugart

Dallas also won two SB in the 70s. They also played in more SBs than any team during the 70s with a 5 to 3 edge over the Steelers.

Dallas also won more regular season games during the 70s than any team. During the 70s the Cowboys had ten consecutive winning seasons which contributed to their NFL record of 20 consecutive winning seasons.

Dallas has the highest winning percentage of all teams during the regular season and during the regular season and the playoffs combined.

So Dallas' record during the 70s cannot be overlooked. And during the 90s the Cowboys had a 3 to 2 edge over SF and Denver in Super Bowl wins.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Dallas also won two SB in the 70s.
That's right. Add them to the list of runners up along with Miami.

They also played in more SBs than any team during the 70s with a 5 to 3 edge over the Steelers.
Who counts losses? I mean other than the Vikings and Bills. :plain:

Dallas also won more regular season games during the 70s than any team.
Ah, the Peyton Manning of franchises. :eek:

During the 70s the Cowboys had ten consecutive winning seasons which contributed to their NFL record of 20 consecutive winning seasons.
How'd they do in the last twenty? I'm kidding. No one wants to hear about that. :nono:

Dallas has the highest winning percentage of all teams during the regular season and during the regular season and the playoffs combined.
And still only dominated in one decade? How did they avoid moving to Atlanta anyway?

So Dallas' record during the 70s cannot be overlooked.
Okay. . . Good job, Dallas. You and Miami were t-h-i-s close. :D

And during the 90s the Cowboys had a 3 to 2 edge over SF and Denver in Super Bowl wins.
I literally wrote that. :plain: Again:

The Niners owned the 80s with a 3 to 2 edge over Washington.
The Cowboys owned the 90s with a 3 to 2 edge over SF and Denver.
The Pats owned 2000-2009 with a 3 to 2 edge over the Steelers.

Last edited:

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
...I literally wrote that. :plain: Again:

The Niners owned the 80s with a 3 to 2 edge over Washington....
Am I missing what these numbers mean? I thought Pittsburgh and SF each had four SB wins in their respective decades of dominance? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.