NFL Off Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Hitting a ball that is fast isn't that hard.
You're right. Tommy Lasorda I think said that major league hitters could hit a .357 magnum fired from the centerfield bleachers. He meant that they can both time, and swing fast enough, to hit anybody. So, leading into your next point:
They mix it with the off speed.
Right. Two things. One is that, when a hitter's in a groove, he sees the ball so well that he can hit both the fastball and the offspeed ball, equally well, perhaps driving the offspeed curve into the opposite field. Two, is that there's a speed, at which, most major league hitters cannot adjust fast enough to---it's about 88-89 mph. Above this speed, what the major league hitter cannot do, is sit on an inside or outside pitch, and protect against the opposite. If you're a righty, and you're looking for an outside fastball, if the pitcher comes in with an inside fastball, you can't get around fast enough to protect against that, so you strike out. That's the difference between 88 and 94, in essence. The hitters have to be both physically capable, and smart, above a certain speed.

Of course there are exceptions, one of which was Manny Ramirez, who could turn around on an inside 95+-mph fastball even when thinking outside curveball---he was a treat to watch, let me tell you.
And the good ones have movement on the ball.
You're right. Pedro had the best movement on any ball, AFAIK. His change-up was amazing to watch. It fell off the table, plus off the left-right plane. (It went both down and away from a lefty.)
Hitting an 85 mph straight pitch is quick to pick up. Hitting the cutter at the same speed, not so much.
Right, and the difference between 85 and 95 (or Nolan Ryan's 105) is like night and day. :)
Like I said though, I can't do it. I look like Pedro Cerrano up there.
Me moreso. :) Except on top of that, I'm also dumb. :)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Bob Stoops is out as the coach at Oklahoma. He is only 56 and health is not a listed reason. I don't mean to be cynical, but it doesn't quite add up.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
CBS Sports says Stoops is staying on at OU as special assistant to the AD. If true, he really did just retire. And OU will pay him so he can tell them what they should do.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Pro Football Focus has released their opinion on the top 50 players in the NFL. I will see if I can get it in text and paste it here.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
An NHL Championship during the NFL offseason helps.

Especially after losing the AFC Championship Game to the Patriots, then watching the Patriots win the Super Bowl.

Don't look know, but the Penguins are 1 championship away from tying the Steelers 6 championships.

Also, the City of Pittsburgh is now 14-3 in major sports championships since 1960. That's an .825% winning percentage in Super Bowls, World Series, and Stanley Cup Finals.

No other city with at least 3 professional sports teams even comes close to that winning percentage.

3-0 Pirates
5-1 Penguins
6-2 Steelers

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Most Pro Sports Championships for American cities:

50 - New York City
37 - Boston
29 - Chicago
22 - Detroit
20 - Los Angeles
16 - Pittsburgh & Philadelphia

As we see above, all the cities have at least 4 pro sports teams or more except for Pittsburgh. Yet, Pittsburgh is tied for 6th.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You can't make this stuff up. Hawaii offers a 5th grader a football scholarship.

That would be Titan Lacaden, a quarterback from Hawaii who tweeted this past weekend that he had received an offer from the flagship university in the state. That would also be Titan Lacaden, an 11-year-old quarterback who just completed the fifth grade, which means he’s exponentially closer to elementary-school age than he is high-school age.

While it can’t be confirmed, it’s believed that Lacaden is the youngest player to ever receive an official FBS offer.​

dcbmmkbuqaet2qq.jpg

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Greatest QB's to never win a Super Bowl (QB's before the Super Bowl era don't count)

1) Dan Marino
2) Fran Tarkenton
3) Dan Fouts
4) Jim Kelly
5) Warren Moon
6) Donovan McNabb
7) Randall Cunningham
8) Tony Romo
9) Ken Anderson
10) Rich Gannon

Honorable Mention: Dave Krieg, Boomer Esiason, Phillip Rivers, Michael Vick, Vinny Testeverde, Steve McNair, Bernie Kosar, Ron Jaworski, Jim Hart, Bert Jones, Archie Manning, Sonny Jergensen, Jake Plummer

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
M
Greatest QB's to never win a Super Bowl (QB's before the Super Bowl era don't count)

1) Dan Marino
2) Fran Tarkenton
3) Dan Fouts
4) Jim Kelly
5) Warren Moon
6) Donovan McNabb
7) Randall Cunningham
8) Tony Romo
9) Ken Anderson
10) Rich Gannon

Honorable Mention: Dave Krieg, Boomer Esiason, Phillip Rivers, Michael Vick, Vinny Testeverde, Steve McNair, Bernie Kosar, Ron Jaworski, Jim Hart, Bert Jones, Archie Manning, Sonny Jergensen, Jake Plummer
My order would look a little different. And I won't include anyone who is still active.

Considerations beyond the eye test included: comp%, TD%, INT%, Rating Bold = best in each category by group

1. Marino ---- 59.4 - 5.0 - 3.0 - 86.4
2. Romo ----- 65.3 - 5.7 - 2.7 - 97.1
3. Kelly ------- 60.1 - 5.0 - 3.7 - 84.4
4. Moon ------ 58.4 - 4.3 - 3.4 - 80.9
5. Fouts ------ 58.8 - 4.5 - 4.3 - 80.2
6. Fran -------- 57.0 - 5.3 - 4.1 - 80.4
7. Gannon --- 60.2 - 4.3 - 2.5 - 84.7
8. McNabb --- 59.0 - 4.4 - 2.2 - 85.6
9. McNair ---- 60.1 - 3.8 - 2.6 - 82.8
10. Anderson - 59.3 - 4.4 - 3.6 - 81.9

Hon. Men.

Garcia ---- 61.6 - 4.4 - 2.3 - 87.5
Sonny ---- 57.1 - 6.0 - 4.4 - 82.6
O'Donnell - 57.8 - 3.7 - 2.1 - 81.8
Kosar ----- 59.3 - 3.7 - 2.6 - 81.8
Esiason --- 57.0 - 4.7 - 3.5 - 81.1
O'Brian --- 58.6 - 3.6 - 2.7 - 80.4

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I couldn't help but notice some AFC Central/North QBs on your list. Not that I disagree. Testeverde was like Favre but stupid.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Vinny had great physical skills. Or as Crash Davis said, a million dollar arm and a 10 cent head. If you have to put him somewhere with physical skills, it is below Elway and Favre. More like Marino and Kelly.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Dandy Don was as good as all of those quarterbacks.
Garcia ---- 61.6 - 4.4 - 2.3 - 87.5
Sonny ---- 57.1 - 6.0 - 4.4 - 82.6
O'Donnell - 57.8 - 3.7 - 2.1 - 81.8
Kosar ----- 59.3 - 3.7 - 2.6 - 81.8
Esiason --- 57.0 - 4.7 - 3.5 - 81.1
O'Brian --- 58.6 - 3.6 - 2.7 - 80.4

His numbers don't agree and his career was on the short side. Entertaining as all get out though.

Meredith ----50.7 - 5.8 - 4.8 - 74.8

He looks like a downgrade from Sonny. The least accurate among this second tier, second best at red zone tds on average, but the worst when it came to picks in that position.

Status
Not open for further replies.