NFL 2017

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Good game on tonight. We'll get to see who has more momentum, Philly or the suddenly dangerous Panthers. Carolina is a 2.5 favorite and on a roll, having battled and beaten Detroit on the road. Philly destroyed the Cardinals at home.

Breakdown:

Carolina

Per game Off: 21 pts scored (18th), with 228.6 yds passing (17th) and 98.6 yds rushing (19th)
Per game Def: 18.8 pts allowed (9th), with 194.2 yds passing allowed (5th) and 79.8 yds rushing allowed (5th)

Philly

Per game Off: 27.4 pts scored (6th T), with 259 yds passing (8th) and 138.8 yds rushing (5th)
Per game Def: 19.8 pts allowed (13th), with 283.2 yds passing allowed (29th) and 62.8 yds rushing allowed (2nd)

If you concentrate on pts scored and allowed it looks like a Philly upset is in the making. If you look at how the scores were produced then Philly looks vulnerable...of course you have to look at who they've moved the ball against.
Nobody watches anymore. Nobody cares. :rotfl:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Interesting games on tap for Sunday. A lot of mismatches, but a few with potential.

Pit @ KC: would be great time for the Steelers to make noise, though as it stands the Chiefs are too much for anyone to handle.

SD @ Oak: Same thing, really, only it's Oakland's turn to step up before the season slips away.

Det @ NO: time to see it Detroit, a bit banged up, can rebound or if the Saints' defense has actually come to help out a still potent offense and make a serious move toward playoff contention.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Week 6 so far

1. Phi @ Car: my admiration of the Eagles continues to pay dividends with the mild upset. 1-0 :D
2. Mia @ Atl: my admiration of the Falcons continues to kick me in the shins. 1-1 :mmph:
3. Chi @ Bal: my lack of confidence in Baltimore and that 7.5 line looks like it's going to help take me to 2-1 :D
4. Cle @ Hou: if you didn't call this one it was probably the 9.5 line, but this kid. I couldn't go against him, thankfully. 3-1 :D
5. Det @ NO: 70% of the ESPN action was laughing at the Saints covering a 4.5 line. I'm laughing now. 4-1 :D
6. GB @ Min: thought this one looked to be a squeaker and the 3.5 was a half pt too far for me. 5-1 :D
7. NE @ Jets: I like NE, but not by that big a line, not with their line problems. 6-1 :D
8. SF @ Was: oh well...I thought the Redskins could cover the 9.5. They're up 2 but there's no way they make that. 6-2 :mmph:

Late games:

9. Ram @ Jag: two teams that can kill you when they're hot. I'm taking the home team to cover the pick'em 2.5. :mmph: 6-3
10. TB @ Arz: AP has already made an impact and a td, but I took Tampa to win this one. Oh, come on. :mmph: 6-4
11. Pit @ KC: I'm not getting off that KC bandwagon, but the Steelers really need this one. Waffled and played the pts. 7-4 :D
12. SD @ Oak: I'm so irked with Oakland I'm taking the Chargers to at least keep this one closer than the 6.5 line. :D 8-4
13. Gia @ Den: 12.5? That's just too many pts for me. I'll take the Giants to keep it within...10? 9-4 :D
14. Ind @ Ten: a 3.5 Ten edge? I don't know, but I went with the Colts for the upset. EDIT: actually went with Ten once Mariota was put in play. 10-4 :D

Last edited:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Browns are once again 0-6.

Here's the Brown's last 10 seasons:

2008 (4-12)
2009 (5-11)
2010 (5-11)
2011 (4-12)
2012 (5-11)
2013 (4-12)
2014 (7-9)
2015 (3-13)
2016 (1-15)
2017 (0-6)

So, not only are the Browns 1-21 the last two years, They are 4-34 the last three years, and 38-112 the last ten years.

Ben Roethlisberger and Joe Flacco, as starters, are a combined 37-4 against the Browns.

The Browns traded Carson Wentz to the Eagles for nine players nobody's ever heard of.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
This year, in 360 minutes of football (6 games), the Browns have led for 4 minutes and 12 seconds.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Harvard has produced 8 US Presidents, and 9 NFL Draft picks.

The Cleveland Browns have 3 Harvard grads in their front office. They have been there the last two years.

Chief strategy officer Paul DePodesta, director of football operations Sashi Brown, and head of player personnel Andrew Berry all hold degrees from Harvard.

Yet, the Browns are 1-21 the last two years, with all these Harvard guys.

:think:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Arrowhead Stadium is supposed to be a tough place to play at. It's allegedly the loudest stadium in the NFL.

The Steelers are now 12-6 all-time at Arrowhead, including 3-1 in their last four games there.

After today, the Steelers are now 6-1 against the Chiefs, home and away, since 2010, including 3-0 the last two years.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Arrowhead Stadium is supposed to be a tough place to play at. It's allegedly the loudest stadium in the NFL.

The Steelers are now 12-6 all-time at Arrowhead, including 3-1 in their last four games there.

After today, the Steelers are now 6-1 against the Chiefs, home and away, since 2010, including 3-0 the last two years.
That Steelers defense was rock solid most of the day. It's good to see KC looking mortal.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
502495f14d2cff4bcc7e8532dae86a67.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Harvard has produced 8 US Presidents, and 9 NFL Draft picks.

The Cleveland Browns have 3 Harvard grads in their front office. They have been there the last two years.

Chief strategy officer Paul DePodesta, director of football operations Sashi Brown, and head of player personnel Andrew Berry all hold degrees from Harvard.

Yet, the Browns are 1-21 the last two years, with all these Harvard guys.
And Marino is a HOFer with one of the most abysmal Wunderlick scores in memory.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

They certainly seem to know how to play KC. They also had a lot of help from KC. The line was a bit beaten up and Alex missed throws that could have changed the outcome late. I think he was hearing footsteps.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The Top Ten for Week 6

1. ^ Philly: they got it done against a game Carolina team and move up to take the top spot from KC.

2. v KC: because no one below them impressed enough and it took a lot of things for the Steelers, who play them well to begin with, to take home a tough win.

3. ^ Sea: with GB temporarily off the board the Seahawks move up on a bye.

4. ^ Hou: because they're winning and even with the injury losses, why not?

5. v Den: because that defense will still keep them around and the offense can play, but lacks consistency.

6. ^ Rams: a convincing win at Jacksonville propels them up a couple.

7. v Det: banged up but dangerous.

8. ^ NO: inconsistent defensive play, but in stretches they can play it and that might be enough for Brees and company to make some noise.

9. Pit: the nature of the win merits.

10. Min: talented defense and a question mark on the road, but a great win against GB.

Hon. Men.: Ten

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
As long as #12 is taking the snaps, they are NEVER out of it.
I'm hearing that a lot this year. It's unmerited, this year.

Yes, he orchestrated the greatest comeback in the history of SB-comebacks, but that was last year. It was like almost nine months ago.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'm hearing that a lot this year. It's unmerited, this year.

Yes, he orchestrated the greatest comeback in the history of SB-comebacks, but that was last year. It was like almost nine months ago.
The opener was awful. He didn't look like himself. A 70 rating and 0 tds? But you have to give him credit for the next four.

139, 146, 104, and 94 ratings, 11 tds against 1 pick, and a better than 70% completion rate. Game 6 was a weaker outing, but not embarrassing by any means. 2 tds against a pick. His completion percentage was way off for him. So 4 fine to outstanding games, one poor one and one okay one. It's weaker than his 2015 outing, but better than 2014, 2013, 2012, and comparable to 2011.

His wheels may come off, but there's no reason to worry about him yet. His team now...that's another thing.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
1) Yankees vs. Dodgers in the World Series

2) Lakers vs. Celtics in the NBA Finals

3) Steelers vs. Cowboys in the Super Bowl

A Yankee win tonight would pit the Dodgers against the Yankees in this year's World Series.

Which of the above three is the greatest championship rivalry in sports?

Yankees & Dodgers have played in 11 World Series (Yankees lead 8-3)

Lakers & Celtics have played in 12 NBA Finals (Celtics lead 9-3)

Steelers & Cowboys have played in 3 Super Bowls (Steelers lead 2-1)

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
1) Yankees vs. Dodgers in the World Series

2) Lakers vs. Celtics in the NBA Finals

3) Steelers vs. Cowboys in the Super Bowl

A Yankee win tonight would pit the Dodgers against the Yankees in this year's World Series.

Which of the above three is the greatest championship rivalry in sports?

Yankees & Dodgers have played in 11 World Series (Yankees lead 8-3)

Lakers & Celtics have played in 12 NBA Finals (Celtics lead 9-3)

Steelers & Cowboys have played in 3 Super Bowls (Steelers lead 2-1)
For me it's the Celtics/Lakers.

I thought the Steelers/Cowboys rivalry was more like Ali/Frazier, with Dallas as Frazier. Could he win? Sure. Was he likely to? Not as a rule.

The Lakers/Celtics felt more evenly matched, if not by position. I hate the Yankees and Dodgers so I can't really speak to that one. :D

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So far it's an interesting day of ups and downs for me. We're having tornadoes so no games are on, just dopler radar and giddy local news crews. :mmph: Looking over my picks for today.

1. KC was an odd 2.5 fav. over Oak. I took that and ran. 1-0 :D

2. TB @ Buf (2.5): easy call here with one of the best defenses in the NFL playing at home (and their offense plays better here as well). I like Tampa as an up and comer, but not here. 20-28

3. Car (3.5) @ Chi: nervous Nelly game, as I hate the half point and Chicago is one of those odd teams that could stick it to me over that difference, so no. 24-21

4. Ten (5.5) @ Cle: too many pts on the road for me to love. Right at the margin for me. 24-20

5. NO (5.5) @ GB: I just don't know what the back up gives GB. But he's not new to the system and the defense in GB isn't bad. I'd jump on a fg, but I'm staying away from that many pts until the Saints show me both sides of the ball consistently. 35-31

6. Jac (2.5) @ Ind: a pick'em game. Shouldn't be. Without Luck the Colts can't overcome their weaknesses across the board. 27-17

7. Arz @ Rams (3.5): ...at home and at 3 I'm fine. The half pt will probably kill me again, but I just don't have any faith in the Cardinals at this point. Rams. 22-28

8. Jets @ Mia (2.5): I'll as likely lose this one, but I rarely feel bad picking against Cutler. 24-21

9. Bal @ Min (5.5): At home? :think: That's a lot of pts, but I have it at six so I'll hang in with the Vikings. 13-21

10. Dal (6.5) @ SF: Man...I'm going to regret the pts, but I like a needy Boys to cover on the road. 34-17

11. Cin @ Pit (5.5): looked like a wake up call last week. I'm pulling the trigger of the Steelers continuing the run. 14-24

12. Den @ SD (1.5): Denver needs this to use the KC stumble from last week. SD lost by a fg to Denver, in Denver, but they've been horrible at home so far. They're due and close enough. I'll take them on a hunch. 20-23

13. Sea (5.5) @ Gia: I haven't seen enough out of the Seahawks' offense to like that big a line. I'm going for the upset here. 20-17

14. Atl @ NE (3.5): neither of these talented teams is playing up to their potential. It has to change at some point. I like the Pats at home 19-31

15. Was @ Phi (4.5): you already know I like the Eagles to represent the NFC, so there's no suspense here. 17-28