NFL 2017

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The Boys had that game in the bag and then some stupid coach called for a pass and with the incompletion the clock stopped, leaving the Packers long enough time to drive for a touchdown.

How could anyone be so stupid to do that?

Although I always enjoy watching your Cowboys lose, I have a new respect for Jerry Jones.

Also, Big Ben is done. He didn't even want to play this year, but came back reluctantly, after contemplating retirement. Having to stay in the locker room during the anthem in week 3, and Antonio Brown's melt down last week was the final nail.....He really, really doesn't want to be on that team right now.

I can guarantee you, Roethlisberger will retire after this season.

Jerry Shugart

Big Ben is done. He didn't even want to play this year, but came back reluctantly, after contemplating retirement. Having to stay in the locker room during the anthem in week 3, and Antonio Brown's melt down last week was the final nail.....He really, really doesn't want to be on that team right now.

Who can blame him? Who wants to come to work every day with such a huge group of losers! At least the Cowboys are beginning to get their running game going again so there is still hope for them. Stick a fork in the Steelers.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Winners and Losers

NE @ TB Tampa kept it close enough to give me a win and a 1-0 start. :thumb: Brady relives the old days, setting up his kicker.

Cin and the Jests contributed in my "don't care but I'm calling it" category and I was on my way with 3-0 :thumb:

Carolina revived its flagging defense on the road OR Detroit decided to spot them too many before the rally attempt. Pick your narrative. 3-1. :mmph:

Ten @ Mia: two teams without a qb is a recipe for the home team win. 4-1 :thumb:

Indy held serve at home against the hapless Niners. 5-1 :thumb:

SD @ Gia: a fg game pushed me into the win column with a 3.5 line and Rivers making me nervous. 6-1 :thumb:

Arz @ Phi: my darkhorse continued the geriatric slide of the Cardinals into their customary. 7-1 :thumb:

Jac @ Pit: Okay, I didn't think the Jags would win either, but 8.5 for an up and down Pittsburg? No. 8-1 :thumb:

Sea @ Ram: talked myself into the Rams here in what promised to be a low scoring game, but too late to change my ESPN pick. Sometimes lucky is better than good. 9-1

Bal @ Oak: the two teams seemed to switch identities and I don't know what to think about either. The Raiders are in trouble. 9-2 :mmph:

Hou @ KC: even without the injuries, it was too soon to expect Watson to deliver against the best team in the NFL. 10-2 :thumb:

Tonight? The Vikings need to cover 3.5 on the road against the Bears and it's 11-2. A lot of "ifs" in this one.

The last two weeks have helped me over come a lackluster start to edge back into ESPN Pick'em respectability:

PCT 90
RANK 17k

Tomorrow, my first weekly rankings, if time allows. If not, next week. I usually prefer near mid season for rankings.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
But why wait? The Top Ten for Week 5

1. KC: like I said in my prediction on the week, the Chiefs are the most balanced team in the league so far. Offense: 2nd in yards, 1st in pts per game, 10th in passing yds per game, 2nd in rushing yds per game. Defense: should be stronger. Overall a middling 17th, BUT the pt difference between them and the number one Buffalo Bills? 7 pts. And they're better than 2 tds ahead of the Bills on offense. Meaning they're better but vulnerable. They need to work on secondary coverage or the best playoff teams will have an in to beat them.

2. Phi: outside of the misleading Jags they have the next best differential, understanding that the difference between them and the next six teams is not more than 3 pts. I like the development of their qb and the use he's making of the weapons they acquired to augment the offense in the offseason. Tied with GB for the 6th best scoring team in the league and a defense a half point out of 9th place. The bad news for their division is that they've gotten better every week. Their only loss? A 7 pt away game at Arrowhead. They haven't dominated, but they stay in a game and have the tools to beat you in the home stretch.

3. Den: no one wants to talk about them because no one is in love with their qb. But outside of the one away game in Buffalo, a top 10 defense, he's played really good football. In fact, their offense is tied for 9th in scoring. With that defense it will be enough to hold serve at home and manage enough road wins to contend. Right now it's good enough for me to start them here. Oh, his name is Siemian.

4. GB: best signal caller in the league, bar none. And he's getting enough help from his team. Middling scoring defense, but 6th in yds against the pass, crucial come playoffs.

5. Sea: after a worrisome start they appear to be getting their legs under them. 15th scoring offense and a 5th ranked scoring defense. They're a top 7 defense against the pass, but weak against the run and their O line is still suspect against the harder pressuring front sevens. We'll see if they can build or if they'll slip from this spot next week.

6. Det: they were in both games they lost. Troubling that those losses came at home though. A potent offense (top 10) and a top 10 defense, but like KC they're vulnerable in the secondary.

7. Atl: haven't lost anything meaningful from their SB run and that makes them a dark horse from this position and deadly. Decent defense combined with an offense that is balanced, 8th in both passing and rushing yds per game, 8th in pts scored. Seventh on my list, for now.

8. Rams: I believe in the coaching here, but the turnaround is so quick I can't say I have the same faith in the talent on hand. That said, they're the 2nd best scoring unit at present by the numbers (5th passing/13th rushing). Defensively? Strong against the pass and suspect against the run. If you have to have a weakness that's the way to go...at least in their division.

9. Hou: those of us in the SEC ranks understood how remarkable Watson was before he reached the NFL. Watching the Browns, Bears, and Niners overlook him had me shaking head in the last draft. When the Jets did it I was laughing out loud. Even without JJ this is a strong defensive unit and Watson will have opposing defenses worried while he acclimates and grows week to week. A scary thought over the next couple of years.

10. Car: they surprised me with the improvement in weeks 4 and 5. Cam looked great and his defense played well enough until late. This far down I could put a handful of teams. The Panthers feel like a good choice.

Hon Men: NO, for shutting out Miami and beating up Cam and Co. They were off, but have a chance to move into the top tier next week.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
But why wait? The Top Ten for Week 5

1. KC: like I said in my prediction on the week, the Chiefs are the most balanced team in the league so far. Offense: 2nd in yards, 1st in pts per game, 10th in passing yds per game, 2nd in rushing yds per game. Defense: should be stronger. Overall a middling 17th, BUT the pt difference between them and the number one Buffalo Bills? 7 pts. And they're better than 2 tds ahead of the Bills on offense. Meaning they're better but vulnerable. They need to work on secondary coverage or the best playoff teams will have an in to beat them.

2. Phi: outside of the misleading Jags they have the next best differential, understanding that the difference between them and the next six teams is not more than 3 pts. I like the development of their qb and the use he's making of the weapons they acquired to augment the offense in the offseason. Tied with GB for the 6th best scoring team in the league and a defense a half point out of 9th place. The bad news for their division is that they've gotten better every week. Their only loss? A 7 pt away game at Arrowhead. They haven't dominated, but they stay in a game and have the tools to beat you in the home stretch.

3. Den: no one wants to talk about them because no one is in love with their qb. But outside of the one away game in Buffalo, a top 10 defense, he's played really good football. In fact, their offense is tied for 9th in scoring. With that defense it will be enough to hold serve at home and manage enough road wins to contend. Right now it's good enough for me to start them here. Oh, his name is Siemian.

4. GB: best signal caller in the league, bar none. And he's getting enough help from his team. Middling scoring defense, but 6th in yds against the pass, crucial come playoffs.

5. Sea: after a worrisome start they appear to be getting their legs under them. 15th scoring offense and a 5th ranked scoring defense. They're a top 7 defense against the pass, but weak against the run and their O line is still suspect against the harder pressuring front sevens. We'll see if they can build or if they'll slip from this spot next week.

6. Det: they were in both games they lost. Troubling that those losses came at home though. A potent offense (top 10) and a top 10 defense, but like KC they're vulnerable in the secondary.

7. Atl: haven't lost anything meaningful from their SB run and that makes them a dark horse from this position and deadly. Decent defense combined with an offense that is balanced, 8th in both passing and rushing yds per game, 8th in pts scored. Seventh on my list, for now.

8. Rams: I believe in the coaching here, but the turnaround is so quick I can't say I have the same faith in the talent on hand. That said, they're the 2nd best scoring unit at present by the numbers (5th passing/13th rushing). Defensively? Strong against the pass and suspect against the run. If you have to have a weakness that's the way to go...at least in their division.

9. Hou: those of us in the SEC ranks understood how remarkable Watson was before he reached the NFL. Watching the Browns, Bears, and Niners overlook him had me shaking head in the last draft. When the Jets did it I was laughing out loud. Even without JJ this is a strong defensive unit and Watson will have opposing defenses worried while he acclimates and grows week to week. A scary thought over the next couple of years.

10. Car: they surprised me with the improvement in weeks 4 and 5. Cam looked great and his defense played well enough until late. This far down I could put a handful of teams. The Panthers feel like a good choice.

Hon Men: NO, for shutting out Miami and beating up Cam and Co. They were off, but have a chance to move into the top tier next week.

New England could beat any of those teams on any given day.

With that being said, I can't remember a year like this year, where there are so many teams that are still in Super Bowl contention after Week 5.

I guess it all depends on who is going to get hot in the second half of the season.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
New England could beat any of those teams on any given day.
The top half of teams could manage it on a given Sunday, but not consistently. And one of those teams tore them a new one. No, the Patriots need to work on that defense. Until they get that solved they're not in the picture.

With that being said, I can't remember a year like this year, where there are so many teams that are still in Super Bowl contention after Week 5.
I think a lot of teams are already by and large horrible, but the rest? It's still early. The Giant's made their SB runs late. It happens. No one has an insurmountable lead, but you have to like KC's chances if they stay healthy as it sits.

I guess it all depends on who is going to get hot in the second half of the season.
It can, but NE started and stayed hot all the way to the SB a while back.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Two times New England started the season 2-2, and won the Super Bowl each year.....just sayin.
Actually they did it five times (2003, 2005, 2012, 2014, and this year). The first four they made the playoffs and half of those led to SB appearances. But I'm not counting them out by noting that at this point they aren't performing as well as the teams that made my top ten.

And none of those included two home losses. That's a bad sign. Last year they were 6-2 at home.
They were 7-1 at home in 2014, 7-1 in 2011, 8-0 at home in 2007, 5-3 at home in 2004,8-0 at home in 2003, 6-2 in 2001.

Not a good omen.

As long as #12 is taking the snaps, they are NEVER out of it.
He's had great games that his team lost for him and games where he stank it up and they won another way. This feels like a down year, but you never know.

Last edited:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
But enough about Joe Montana and the woes of the Niners.

So....you end up on Fantasy Island, and you get to own a football team, and you get to pick any QB ever for your team....who you picking?

1) Joe Montana
2) Peyton Manning
3) Tom Brady

??????

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
When you're the greatest quarterback of all times it's tough to stay on top
But enough about Joe Montana and the woes of the Niners.
If we had a "balls-and-strikes" metric to go along with the passer rating, this wouldn't even be a topic of discussion, unless I miss my guess.

And I don't think I am.
So....you end up on Fantasy Island, and you get to own a football team, and you get to pick any QB ever for your team....who you picking?

1) Joe Montana
2) Peyton Manning
3) Tom Brady

??????
It's difficult to go against Brady, but Montana's performance in SBs wrt passer rating anyway is still the gold standard.

If we had a "balls-and-strikes" metric to go along with that, my guess is that Brady's closer to Montana than passer rating indicates.

But then, maybe we'd see that Montana---or even Manning or Rodgers or Marino or someone else---is just out of sight wrt everybody else.

'Would be nice to have that "balls-and-strikes" statistic though. We right now with passer rating probably are measuring 2/3 of the story with the passers. Maybe 3/4. But filling in a lot of that gap with a "balls-and-strikes" measurement would go a long way to honing this argument. Maybe there's just no argument at all. Maybe there's some passer who was brilliantly accurate, but always had a dreadful batch of receivers, and so has no rings, and no ratings. We don't know. Unlikely, but maybe.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

1) Joe Montana
2) Peyton Manning
3) Tom Brady

??????
Depends. As rookies who can have the coach and teammates I want them to have and develop their potential? I'd say Manning. Smartest of the three. The least athletic, but with his reads he didn't have to be. Made up for it the way Marino made up for his slow feet with a savagely quick release. Manning used that intelligence to compensate for diminished arm strength after the injury that everyone suspected would end the career. And given his arm was never that live it's remarkable that he got as much out of it as he did. He even found a way to win when the instrument was obviously done. And against his rival who was far from it. Amazing.

If it's as they are, warts and all, bad habits and everything, then it's Montana. No one played better under pressure. A sure thing in the game that makes legends. Untouchably the GOAT by that measure.

If I'm thinking about longevity at a remarkable level then it's Brady. Best system qb of all time. But that same system made backups look like sure thing starters until they left it, which always had me wondering if he isn't the qb version of Emmitt Smith.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Good game on tonight. We'll get to see who has more momentum, Philly or the suddenly dangerous Panthers. Carolina is a 2.5 favorite and on a roll, having battled and beaten Detroit on the road. Philly destroyed the Cardinals at home.

Breakdown:

Carolina

Per game Off: 21 pts scored (18th), with 228.6 yds passing (17th) and 98.6 yds rushing (19th)
Per game Def: 18.8 pts allowed (9th), with 194.2 yds passing allowed (5th) and 79.8 yds rushing allowed (5th)

Philly

Per game Off: 27.4 pts scored (6th T), with 259 yds passing (8th) and 138.8 yds rushing (5th)
Per game Def: 19.8 pts allowed (13th), with 283.2 yds passing allowed (29th) and 62.8 yds rushing allowed (2nd)

If you concentrate on pts scored and allowed it looks like a Philly upset is in the making. If you look at how the scores were produced then Philly looks vulnerable...of course you have to look at who they've moved the ball against.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Good game on tonight. We'll get to see who has more momentum, Philly or the suddenly dangerous Panthers. Carolina is a 2.5 favorite and on a roll, having battled and beaten Detroit on the road. Philly destroyed the Cardinals at home.

Breakdown:

Carolina

Per game Off: 21 pts scored (18th), with 228.6 yds passing (17th) and 98.6 yds rushing (19th)
Per game Def: 18.8 pts allowed (9th), with 194.2 yds passing allowed (5th) and 79.8 yds rushing allowed (5th)

Philly

Per game Off: 27.4 pts scored (6th T), with 259 yds passing (8th) and 138.8 yds rushing (5th)
Per game Def: 19.8 pts allowed (13th), with 283.2 yds passing allowed (29th) and 62.8 yds rushing allowed (2nd)

If you concentrate on pts scored and allowed it looks like a Philly upset is in the making. If you look at how the scores were produced then Philly looks vulnerable...of course you have to look at who they've moved the ball against.

No one cares man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
There's nothing funnier than someone showing up somewhere to tell everyone how indifferent he is to be there.

And by funnier I mean sad clown funnier. :)

Keep believing in the myth of the NFL. You’ll see my son.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk