NFL 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry Shugart

I have it a one point toss up so I'd be inclined to take the points. It depends on whether Atlanta slows their tempo and catches NE flat against the change. Also, with Clayborn out Beasley is going to have to take over most of the rush responsibility. Brady with someone in his face isn't Tom Terrific.

Good point! Besides that, I am now hopeful that my pick may turn out to be the right one since you are making the same pick!

What a glorious day!

Can't see the Pats panicking. They'll look to play slow ball and use Bill's mentor's gameplan against a fast Buffalo Bills team ages ago. That's why I'm thinking Atlanta should shock them and use all that talent to move up the field slowly, methodically. Tire the Pats thin defense out early. If it's close late they can either rely on a better kicker to seal it or unleash the hounds if they have the ball late with little time.

Again, good points. On the other hand If I was the Atlanta I would bring out my best as early as possible and use a "shock and awe" strategy. Try to put the game away as fast as possible.

Atlanta 38
New England 24

Well, to be fair, they've been three times since Brady's early period and they're fortunate to have one out of the three of the latter performances.

Yes, especially the last one! Can you imagine your team losing like that in the biggest game possible by such a lousy call? I would never ever forgive whoever was responsible for that play.

Sure, but who is really ready to challenge the Pats at this point for AFC dominance?

Pittsburg will be back and the Chiefs will improve. If Romo goes to either Denver or Houston then that team will challenge NE.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
I think that Atlanta will score at least 21 points in the first half easily. And that will put great pressure on NE and they will start making errors, such as turning the ball over.

NE has not had any pressure on them almost the whole season so they are not used to pressure. And they will prove themselves not able to handle the pressure which Atlanta will put on them with their Offense.
NE is used to pressure. Every game has pressure, it's just a question of for how long. I expect this one to be high pressure the whole game, and in such games, I think NE has the edge.

The Berean

I don't watch the NFL much anymore but something did catch my about the Atlanta Falcons. They scored 540 points in the regular season. That is the 7th highest point total in NFL history. That's impressive.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I don't watch the NFL much anymore
Philistine.

but something did catch my about the Atlanta Falcons. They scored 540 points in the regular season. That is the 7th highest point total in NFL history. That's impressive.
That's not scaring Tom though. He knows first hand that historic offenses can come unglued in the big game. He's managed it twice...

This could come down to handling pressure. Ryan has never been in this position before, but it's softened by the underdog role. Brady? Well, he knows as well as anyone outside of New England does that he's fortunate to not be 3-3 in the big game--and before anyone says, "Yeah, but SIX appearances!" I remind you the Bills had four in a row, which is even more impressive yet no one really is... So he's four for six. A win would make a real statement and marginalize the Giant's tarnish a bit. Five rings erases the need to talk about the Manning curse. But 4-4? Then you get the "Not only 4-4, but two of those losses came with historically great offenses" resurgence of the soft underbelly of that golden boy mantra, one that undermines a great player and maybe moves him down a peg, over time.

Pressure? It's all around his ankles. And that, historically, doesn't bode well for Tom.

Jerry Shugart

This could come down to handling pressure. Ryan has never been in this position before, but it's softened by the underdog role. Brady? Well, he knows as well as anyone outside of New England does that he's fortunate to not be 3-3 in the big game--and before anyone says, "Yeah, but SIX appearances!" I remind you the Bills had four in a row, which is even more impressive yet no one really is... So he's four for six. A win would make a real statement and marginalize the Giant's tarnish a bit. Five rings erases the need to talk about the Manning curse. But 4-4? Then you get the "Not only 4-4, but two of those losses came with historically great offenses" resurgence of the soft underbelly of that golden boy mantra, one that undermines a great player and maybe moves him down a peg, over time.

EXACTLY!

If the Birds cannot be stopped early in the game no one will feel more pressure to perform than Brady! He knows better than anyone that his legacy is on the line in this Super Bowl.

The Berean

Philistine.
I keep telling you TH I'm not from Philly, ok? I'm from Motown.

That's not scaring Tom though. He knows first hand that historic offenses can come unglued in the big game. He's managed it twice...
Oh, I wasn't making a prediction. The Falcons could very well lose. I just was surpised to learn the Falcons scored so many points during the regular season.

Pressure? It's all around his ankles. And that, historically, doesn't bode well for Tom.
Ok, apply this logic to Peyton Manning. :D

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I keep telling you TH I'm not from Philly, ok? I'm from Motown.
:chuckle:

Oh, I wasn't making a prediction. The Falcons could very well lose. I just was surpised to lwarn the Falsons scored so many points suring the regular season.
Just using the point as a launch pad, though I think the right game plan could win Atlanta its first ring. They have the talent on hand. But the way to short circuit Bill's approach is to beat him at it. He'll be expecting the Greatest Show on Turf, Part II. A surprise could be worth the margin of victory.

Ok, apply this logic to Peyton Manning. :D
He never was the golden boy. He was better liked by the public, but the talking heads started the "couldn't win the big one" while he was at Tennessee and stayed with it until he did. First it was, "solid but limited upside" and "the most ready but then what?" when discussing the Manning/Leaf question. Then it was "the best regular season qb" despite having better playoff stats than Brady. Tom benefited greatly from the best clutch kicker in the NFL and one of the best coaches, getting a good head start on his reputation when he was really only a very good qb. How good is that organization and coaching? Well, when he went down for a year they won ten or eleven games. When Peyton went down his Colts won two.

Heck, a broken down Manning with a good team around him beat Tom in route to the SB.

History will be kinder to Peyton. I'd loved to have seen him with the sort of coaching and stability that Tom has had for his entire career.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't watch the NFL much anymore but something did catch my about the Atlanta Falcons. They scored 540 points in the regular season. That is the 7th highest point total in NFL history. That's impressive.

When that many points are put up by balanced run/pass attack, like Shanahan/Davis/Elway, back to back Super Bowl victories are usually the result.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
tom-brady18.jpg

patriots-cheater.jpg

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Yet, none of those 6 teams that scored more than the Falcons did in a regular season ever won a Super Bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.