NFL 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Atlanta's going to have their hands full I think. NE's kicking game is average, but their defense is tough and consistent, and their offense is a first-down machine if you can't stop them. They also run flea-flickers sometimes. If Brady doesn't help them out by throwing picks, I can't see Atlanta winning. Matty Ice's just got too much to surmount IMO.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Atlanta's going to have their hands full I think. NE's kicking game is average, but their defense is tough and consistent, and their offense is a first-down machine if you can't stop them. They also run flea-flickers sometimes. If Brady doesn't help them out by throwing picks, I can't see Atlanta winning. Matty Ice's just got too much to surmount IMO.
Let me give you a strange notion. What if Atlanta slows the game down too. Understanding that their defense is unlikely to stop NE, they play the game I've been speculating NE should to keep Atlanta's offense off the field.

I don't think the Pats would be expecting it and with the wealth of talent on the Falcons' side of the ball (and the balance NE lacks) they shouldn't have much of a problem doing it. Why would that be a good idea, you ask? Because then it comes down to who can move the ball fast at the end, which Atlanta can do even better than the Pats and the kicking game.

Atlanta's kicker is the 3rd highest rated in pct efficiency. New England? 18th.

Atlanta--------------New England
FGA: 34------------27

FGM: 37-----------32

FG%: 91.9--------84.4

Longest: 59------53

00-19 yds: 0/0-----0/0

20-29 yds: 12/12--9/9

30-39 yds: 7/8-----7/9

40-49 yds: 9/9-----9/10

50+ yds: 6/8-----2/4

Jerry Shugart

NEWS FLASH!

Twenty players from the Atlanta Falcons have come down with a flu bug, the same bug which attacked the Steelers the week before!

Not!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Pats K can really nail down those 50+ plus yarders as well.
He's 2 for 4. 50% isn't to be sneezed at, but 6/8, or 75% is a pretty strong edge for Atlanta, and the Atlanta kicker has one that's nearly 10 yards deeper among those kicks. What I'm saying is that if both teams play slower ball, the team with the edge is Atlanta. They need to trade until late then dink or, if time is short, get the ball down field the least amount of yards between the two to give their kicker a chance. I really like Atlanta's chances in this game.

And NE has to play slower ball because they won't win a shoot out. So the question is, will Atlanta realize that and shift to a slow game, the way Bill would, or will they play "their" game and be at a disadvantage late, a-la Alabama and Clemson.

The Berean

What's your definition?

There have been great teams for a year or two, like the SB Bears or Giants, but consistent post season success within a decade with a ring or two to show for it seems to be the calling card. For me it's:

60s: Green Bay, with three championships, Bart Starr and "the coach".
70s: The Steelers. Four rings.
80s: SF and four.
90s: Dallas with three.
2000 to 20010: New England. Three rings and four appearances in the SB.
Ummm..The 1960's Packers had 5 championships including three in a row (1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967).

The Berean

I'm only counting the SB wins, but their earlier dominance did factor in my naming them a dynasty despite having only two. That was their decade.
Why are you only counting Super Bowl wins? A championship is a championship, no? Had the Super Bowl started in 1960 the Packers likely would have won 5 Super Bowls in 7 seasons.

Sent from my SM-G920V using TheologyOnline mobile app

Last edited:

beloved57

nihilo

Good luck. Brady's always noticeably affected by effective constant pressure, so if Atlanta can bring the heat, they've got a good shot.

Thats going to be key, pressuring Brady, I think we have the team speed for that on D !

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Why are you only counting Super Bowl wins?
Because that's the usual metric for speaking to modern NFL dynasties (and I credited the prior dominance by noting them as the team of that decade in any event). Given the merger and a need for a line of meaningful demarcation, I think it's reasonable.

A championship is a championship, no?
Well, no, which is why we don't hold all championships in the same light, outside of recognizing the titles conferred.

Had the Super Bowl stated in 1960 the Packers likely would have won 5 Super Bowls in 7 seasons.
Possibly. They won two after the merger, with increased competition. So I credited the past without conflating it with the reality of post merger football.

Jerry Shugart

Well, no, which is why we don't hold all championships in the same light, outside of recognizing the titles conferred.

Wouldn't you agree that the Packer's championships won before the Super Bowl era should be considered "true" football championships in every sense? Especially considering the fact that no other league could be compared to the NFL in quality prior to the merger. And Green Bay proved this by the way that they slaughtered the AFL champions in the first two Super Bowls.

As far as myself, I consider that all of Green Bay's championships are true championships which should not be diminished in any way. On the other hand, I cannot say the same thing about any of the teams which won the AFL championships.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Wouldn't you agree that the Packer's championships won before the Super Bowl era should be considered "true" football championships in every sense? Especially considering the fact that no other league could be compared to the NFL in quality prior to the merger. And Green Bay proved this by the way that they slaughtered the AFL champions in the first two Super Bowls.
I'd say you have to distinguish between one league and the joining of two and that the SBs do that. And noting a dominant team that arguably would have been had the leagues been joined prior doesn't really prove the other league was lesser, only that, arguably, it didn't have anyone who could have competed with the Packers then either.

We both know that sometimes a team advances to represent a league that really isn't the best team that league has to offer and that sometimes the best a league has to offer stands alone in a relatively weak group (see: a down year for the SEC). Late injuries and the puncher's chance of one and dones can often advance weaker teams, as when the Bills managed it with a historic come from behind on the arm of a back-up who'd managed the same thing in college. That sort of thing happens.

As far as myself, I consider that all of Green Bay's championships are true championships which should not be diminished in any way.
I'm truly sorry that you feel my noting the 60s as theirs and representative of their dynasty was insufficient praise. :eek: Should I order them a special trophy?

On the other hand, I cannot say the same thing about any of the teams which won the AFL championships.
Spoken like a loyal supporter of the other conference. That's what Baltimore thought too. :eek:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's going to be some slow Sundays. I'll get the combine results up. After the season.

I will be going to an "I hate the Patriots" SB party.

Jerry Shugart

OK Sports Fans:

New England Patriots -3
Atlanta Falcons

I am taking Atlanta and the points. NE will be in shock when they realize that they cannot stop the Falcons and panic will set in. They will start making mistakes which they didn't make all year.

This game will mark the beginning of the end for the Patriot's great Super Bowl achievements the last few years.

All good things must come to an end!

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
OK Sports Fans:

New England Patriots -3
Atlanta Falcons

I am taking Atlanta and the points. NE will be in shock when they realize that they cannot stop the Falcons and panic will set in. They will start making mistakes which they didn't make all year.

This game will mark the beginning of the end for the Patriot's great Super Bowl achievements the last few years.

How many pts do you think Atlanta puts up? I could see 28, plus or minus. Say, 25-32 pts. Do I think that NE can put up 35 pts? Yes. In order for NE to be shocked, it'd have to be at their own terrible play. Do you think that NE will play terribly? I don't.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
OK Sports Fans:

New England Patriots -3
Atlanta Falcons
I have it a one point toss up so I'd be inclined to take the points. It depends on whether Atlanta slows their tempo and catches NE flat against the change. Also, with Clayborn out Beasley is going to have to take over most of the rush responsibility. Brady with someone in his face isn't Tom Terrific.

Can't see the Pats panicking. They'll look to play slow ball and use Bill's mentor's gameplan against a fast Buffalo Bills team ages ago. That's why I'm thinking Atlanta should shock them and use all that talent to move up the field slowly, methodically. Tire the Pats thin defense out early. If it's close late they can either rely on a better kicker to seal it or unleash the hounds if they have the ball late with little time.

Well, to be fair, they've been three times since Brady's early period and they're fortunate to have one out of the three of the latter performances.

Sure, but who is really ready to challenge the Pats at this point for AFC dominance?

Jerry Shugart

How many pts do you think Atlanta puts up? I could see 28, plus or minus. Say, 25-32 pts.

I think that Atlanta will score at least 21 points in the first half easily. And that will put great pressure on NE and they will start making errors, such as turning the ball over.

Do you think that NE will play terribly? I don't.

NE has not had any pressure on them almost the whole season so they are not used to pressure. And they will prove themselves not able to handle the pressure which Atlanta will put on them with their Offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.