NFL 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry Shugart

But if they did pull out a win, Atalanta would crush them in the NFC Championship

The thing which is overlooked about the two teams is the fact that Dallas has the 5th best defense in the NFL this year while Atlanta has the 27th ranked defense. Besides that, Dallas has the number one rushing defense while Atlanta ranks 17th. Also, Dallas ranks 4th in points allowed while Atlanta ranks near the bottom in that category.

While Atlanta ranks first in total Offense, Dallas is not far behind, ranking 5th.

With those things in mind I do not think that Atlanta will blow out Dallas.

Besides, how can you predict that Houston will beat New England this week while you give Dallas very little chance against Green Bay?

Jerry Shugart

As I said earlier, for Dallas to even get to the Super Bowl, Dak Prescott will have to do what no rookie QB in the history of the NFL has ever done.

There's always a first time for just about everything. There was nobody in the history of the world to go to the moon until Neil Armstrong. That previous history did not forbid a man going to the moon, just like the history of the NFL does not forbid Dak taking the Boys to the Super Bowl.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Dallas had a cake schedule

That's because Dallas finished 4-12, and in last place the year before.

When you finish in last place, you get to play all the other last place teams in your conference the next year. Which is who Dallas played this year.

Next year, Dallas has one of the hardest schedules in the NFL.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
There's always a first time for just about everything. There was nobody in the history of the world to go to the moon until Neil Armstrong.

How many men before Neil Armstrong tried to go to the moon?

Rookie QB's have been trying to take their teams to the Super Bowl for decades, and everyone of them failed to do so.

Your best chance for Dallas to make it to the Super Bowl is for Prescott to get hurt, and/or pulled from the game against Green Bay, and Romo to take over for the rest of the post-season.

Jerry Shugart

I agree, even without Jordy Nelson.

The Cowboys have the number one rushing defense in the NFL. The Boys will shut down the running game of the Packers and make them one dimensional and this week the Boy's best cornerback returns. "Pro Football Focus" ranks the Dallas defensive secondary as the number one unit in the NFL.

Besides that, remember that the last time we played Green Bay it was this year and we beat them by 14 points and we beat them at their own stadium. Besides that, we beat them without our best receiver, Dez Bryant. They had their best receiver on the field.

This time we will play in Dallas and we will have our best receiver on the field. They will probably not have their best receiver on the field.

In the game in Green Bay we ran for 191 yards. The Packers will not be able to shut down the rushing attack of the Boys so the offense will remain balanced throughout the game.

Besides that, the Boys will be lead by Dak Prescott, who had a higher passer rating than did Rodgers.

Last edited:

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
the Boys will be lead by Dak Prescott, who had a higher passer rating than did Rodgers.
I'll bet Rodgers' rating was way higher the last eight games though, and that's what you've got to worry about. He's been unstoppable, with the unique combination of accuracy, arm strength, ability to throw accurately and quickly while moving, with a great intuition about how his protection is changing the pocket around him, and instincts for when to abandon the pocket, all while looking for that one break in coverage so he can zip it to the open receiver. When a qb especially and I'd even argue exclusively is playing like that, it's going to be real tough to beat him and his team. I'm rooting for Dallas selfishly because I'd rather, if NE can win out, that NE faces Dallas for the championship, than a red-hot Aaron Rodgers led Pack. But as a football fan, it's always a rare event when a qb rises to the occasion like this, and it's just a thrill to watch him work.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
How many men before Neil Armstrong tried to go to the moon?
:think: My great uncle, Dave, tried it. . . but he was half crazy on shine and made the effort in a goat cart with a ramp.

It ended badly.

Rookie QB's have been trying to take their teams to the Super Bowl for decades, and everyone of them failed to do so.
It's really more about the team though. If Trent Dilfer can take a team to the SB and win, it's possible for a rookie this talented to manage it with that team...even if I'd play Romo, who I think could take them to and win a SB given the chance. He's the wily pitcher with more tricks in his bag.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
it's possible for a rookie this talented to manage it with that team

Yes, it's possible, but no one has ever done it before.

However, when the Yankees went up 3-0 on the Red Sox in 2004, everyone made it clear that no team ever came back from being down 0-3 in baseball. Well....the Red Sox did.

So, Prescott has a chance to make history, but Marino, Roethlisberger, Flacco, and Russell Wilson were on some pretty good teams too when they were rookies, but none of them were able to make it to the Super Bowl.

We can talk about it forever, but we will find out sooner than later if Prescott is able to do it.

Personally, I'll take a Red-Hot Aaron Rodgers over a rookie (I also said Alabama would blow out Clemson)

The Steelers and Packers are the two hottest teams in the NFL with 7 & 8 game winning streaks respectively, and both teams have QB's who have won Super Bowls.

Which is why KC is only favored by 1.5, and Dallas is only favored by 4.5

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
even if I'd play Romo, who I think could take them to and win a SB given the chance.

It's gotta be killing Jerry Jones.

He knows with Romo, and two home games, there's a tremendous chance they go to the Super Bowl. But, he knows if he plays Romo and they lose, there would be a mob after him.

I'll be curious to see what happens if Dallas falls behind by at least 14 points.

Will they pull Prescott?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yes, it's possible, but no one has ever done it before.
And Alabama had never had a Heisman winner before we did. A very long time without one.

So, Prescott has a chance to make history, but Marino, Roethlisberger, Flacco, and Russell Wilson were on some pretty good teams too when they were rookies, but none of them were able to make it to the Super Bowl.
Not sure I agree about Marino's team, but it's a reasonable point. Hard to do for seasoned qbs.

We can talk about it forever, but we will find out sooner than later if Prescott is able to do it.

Personally, I'll take a Red-Hot Aaron Rodgers over a rookie (I also said Alabama would blow out Clemson)
Alabama wasn't going to blow them out, but if we'd approached the year with a different offensive mindset we'd have won the game comfortably. It was too late by then and it led to quick scoring or three and outs that tired the defense. Such is life. I suspect you'll see some modification next year.

I'd feel more strongly about Dallas if Romo was under center, but GB being on the road might be enough to shift the mo.

Which is why KC is only favored by 1.5, and Dallas is only favored by 4.5
I suspect the qb for KC makes Vegas nervous.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
If Prescott doesn't make to the Super Bowl this year, there is good news for Cowboys fans.

Marino, Roethlisberger, and Russell Wilson took their teams to the Super Bowl the very next year after their rookie years.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Not sure I agree about Marino's team, but it's a reasonable point.

The Dolphins went to the Super Bowl the year before Marino, and went again in Marino's second year, and should have gone the next year (they were the only team to beat the 85' Bears), but somehow lost at home to the Patriots in the 1985 AFC Championship Game. The Dolphins were the #2 seed in the AFC Marino's rookie year

You have to be a good team to go to the Super Bowl 2 of 3 years, be a #2 seed between the Super Bowls, and then go to the AFC Championship Game after the second Super Bowl.

Last edited:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Whoopty Doo!

Five of those opponents were the Eagles, Texans, Bears, Vikings and Lions!

Texans and Lions made the playoffs. Texans are still in it.

Vikings were a .500 team

The Eagles were 7-9, and beat the Cowboys.

Your Cowboys finished the season 2-2, while the Packers finished 6-0

The Giants beat your Cowboys twice, the Packers destroyed the Giants last week.

If I was a Cowboys fan, I would be scared to death of Aaron Rodgers and the Packers.

Especially considering the Cowboys are matching a rookie QB against Rodgers.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Cowboys fans are not scaredy cats like you!

I'm a Steeler's fan. We have no reason to be scared. Since the merger, we have won more than any other team.

On the other hand, you Cowboy fans have had 20 years of misery.

Let's take a look at how abysmal the Cowboys have been in the post season the last 20 years:

1998 - Lost Wild Card to Cardinals
1999 - Lost Wild Card to Vikings
2003 - Lost Wild Card to Panthers
2006 - Lost Wild Card to Seahawks
2007 - Lost Divisional to Giants
2009 - Won Wild Card, but lost Divisional to Vikings
2014 - Won Wild Card, but lost Divisional to Packers.

As we see above, the pathetic Cowboys only made the playoffs 7 times in 20 years, and only won 2 Wild Card games in those 20 years.

Conversely, the Steelers made the playoffs 11 times during the same time span, won 14 playoff games, went to the AFC Championship Game 6 times, went to the Super Bowl 3 times, and won the Super Bowl 2 times.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
And then there's the 70's

The Cowboys made the playoffs in 70,71,72,73,75,76,77,78 & 79.
They won 14 post-season games, including 2 Super Bowls.

The Steelers made the playoffs in 72,73,74,75,76,77,78 & 79
They also won 14 post-season games, but won 4 Super Bowls, including 2 against the Cowboys.

The Steelers won twice as many Super Bowls as the Cowboys, including 2 against the Cowboys, and were the unanimous choice for "Team of the Decade".

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The Cowboy's best era was 1992-1995.

They won 3 Super Bowls in 4 years, and probably would have won many more had their idiot owner not fired the coach after the coach won back-to-back Super Bowls.

Also, in what was the darkest day in Pittsburgh Steeler history, the Cowboys beat the Steelers in Super Bowl XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.