NFL 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Tight ends running the 40.

Saxton, Wes South Alabama TE 4.56 u
Big, fast and can catch a ball, though he drops a few. Has the frame to put muscle on but at present won't be very effective as a blocking tight end. He was all right at that with the Jags, but not great and his conference didn't exactly test him against quality defensive linemen. Match up nightmare if you can get him disciplined in his routes.

So if you want him to be another receiving threat he's got real upside...and you could work on the rest. Not a first through third rounder, but I'd take him after that to work with. Give him a year in the weight room and the right coaching and who knows?

Granite

Hall of Fame
So if the Pats stay true to form they'll

a) grab a diamond in the rough who'll be a defensive dynamo in 1-2 seasons
b) utterly whiff on a wide receiver
c) pick the "Who the Heck is That Guy?" of the draft--great chance he's a star
d) make a ridiculous swap, make the other team look foolish, and stockpile for the next ninety years

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Most of the WRs that ran were in the 4.4-4.5 range, which is needed NFL speed. RBs have entered the building. The QB field is weak. Kirk Cousins has correctly criticized them and their spread offenses that take advantage of physical mismatches that won't exist in the NFL. In general, their throwing drills were only so-so. They don't set feet and square hips which leads to inaccurate throws under pressure. They literally "wing it". Mariotta hasn't worked out yet. I have the NFL network on delay with the DVR.

And the mediocre QB play from these guys that put up video game numbers is why I think Winston is best QB in the class. He actually took snaps under center.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The second half QBs with Winston and Mariotta passed better. Or at least they did. And Mariotta ran a 4.5. Winston waddled his way to a 4.96...call it a 5.0. I would still take Winston if you polygraphed him and he clears.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And I think the Cowboys are very close. Think about the non-catch, and how close GB was to Seattle, and how close Seattle was to winning the SB. I think the gap is very small.

I wonder if they will make some sort of deal, foregoing the future for a couple of extra early picks. It might be worth it.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
And I think the Cowboys are very close.
They should draft defense, franchise one of their two offensive stars, preferably their rb and sign their wr to a long term. But the window is closing at qb and that's a concern. This year or the next and its back to reloading the offense.

Think about the non-catch, and how close GB was to Seattle,
Seattle had already come back a little and GB is in a position to add pieces already having confidence they should have been in the last SB.

And that's without noting Arizona, who with Palmer under center would have been better than any of them this year and may well be next. But they have a Cowboys like worry both at signal and wr, so it's another narrow window unless they can address both via free agency and/or the draft this year. Groom the heirs for a couple.

I wonder if they will make some sort of deal, foregoing the future for a couple of extra early picks. It might be worth it.
They shouldn't have to. Though none of them are dynasties in the making unless they luck up at qb follow up acts.

Of course the AFC isn't much better off. New England is a Brady decline or injury away from being a decent team with a shot at a playoff spot. Denver has potential and might be able to build through the last couple of Manning years, assuming.

Teams that could surprise?

The Rams have to be a potential dark horse for the upcoming season. Solid coaching staff and talent at the skill positions. Atlanta has one heck of an offensive line up. Can a change of coaches and some serious work on the defensive side of the ball move them from disappointment to next big thing?

Will Detroit finally impress? Can Baltimore step up?

Should be an interesting season.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Seattle had already come back a little and GB is in a position to add pieces already having confidence they should have been in the last SB.And that's without noting Arizona, who with Palmer under center would have been better than any of them this year and may well be next.

I should have noted how close GB is, but they have a recent championship. Parity in the NFL at its finest. The NFC is tight in terms of good teams ready to be great.

Coming into this season, the Boys are .500 since 1998. I think they have gotten over the hump on needed pieces and are close. So when they started 6-1, I realize they are not going to be 8-8 this year.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And there was several WRs that showed they can be elite. Including the known ones coming in like Amari Cooper. They talked about him today being smooth. I agree. He does it all effortlessly. And flew his way to a 4.42.

Kevin White from West Virginia was exceptional. He plays in the pass happy no defense Big 12 so you don't know until they run the electronic watch. He ran 4.35 and was very effortless in his drills. The Browns are idiots if he is on the board and they don't take him. Then again, they are idiots anyway.

Kenny Bell and Devin Smith from the Big 10 both burned their way to a 4.42. This class (WR) overall looks quite good.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
As a Pats fan I am in no position whatsoever to mock this still-infamous always-controversial play.:noid:

The funny thing about the "Immaculate Reception" and "The Tuck Rule Game" is that the Oakland Raiders were the victims of both.

However, the Raiders had the "Holy Roller" against the San Diego Chargers in 1978.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Jeremy Langford of Michigan State was the fastest running back today at 4.42. Notables Melvin Gordon ran 4.52, Ameer Abdullah ran 4.60 and TJ Yeldon ran 4.61. 2000 yard rusher Tevin Coleman of SEC East Champions Indiana Hoosiers did not run.

Abdullah had 24 reps on the bench and Yeldon had 22, which were the most of the notables. And in a freakish show of strength Hawaiis Joey Iosefa (I never heard of him either) cranked out 30 reps.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Vic Beasely of Clemson, whom ESPN analyst Kirk Herbstreit has a man crush on, was awesome in his testing. Fast and strong. So dominating in the ACC wasn't just because BC, North Carolina, Duke, NC State, etc etc are middling competition. He is the real deal.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My Steelers desperately need help in the secondary this draft. They really need a cornerback.

Ronald Darby of Florida State just cut a 4.37 in the 40 at the combine. This is proof of karma. And he is a coverage corner who gets by on athletic ability over technique. Coaches will correct that part. But he is also not a hitter. Kind of like Deion, only not as fast.

edit: Darby backed up his really fast 4.37 with a 4.32.

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
On a more serious note, Doran Grant of Ohio State ran the second fastest after the two 4.37s with a 4.44. He hits and covers. Remember how Cooper dominated the National Semi Final? Exactly. Cooper will always get his, but was held in check from running wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.