NFL 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Be that as it may, every revelation so far hasn't tainted the champs at all--but they've consistently made the league and its officials look clueless. At the rate the NFL and this idiotic investigation are going, there better be an apology.

Mocking You

Let's get started.

What will be the stories of 2015???

Where will Adrian Peterson play football? Or will he play baseball? I hear he's quite the switch hitter.

Will the Seahawks avenge their thrown-away repeat championship?

Possibly. If they have a running back.

Did ya hear the latest about Pete Carroll? He was about to win the Super Bowl in the waning moments of the game....but he passed on it.

Will the Patriots find themselves in another scandal?

Do Catholics take communion?

Who will be the surprise team of the year? Who will be the biggest flop??

Biggest surprise? Like a team that wasn't in the playoffs last year, but will make it this year? If so, I say Atlanta. Second pick: Minnesota

Biggest flop? Like a team that is pretty good but will fall off the table? Gotta go with Denver.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Which last minute SB winning drive was the greatest? (listed chronologically)

1) 1989 49'ers vs. Bengals

2) 2002 Patriots vs. Rams

3) 2004 Patriots vs. Panthers

4) 2008 Giants vs. Patriots

5) 2009 Steelers vs. Cardinals

6) 2012 Giants vs. Patriots

I will say this about the Patriots, all the Super Bowls that they have been in this century have all come down to the wire. Especially the most recent one, whereas had Seattle scored, they would probably be #1 in the above list.

My list:

1) 2008 Giants vs. Patriots

2) 2009 Steelers vs Cardinals

3) 1989 49'ers vs Bengals

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Which last minute SB winning drive was the greatest? (listed chronologically)
:think:

1) 1989 49'ers vs. Bengals
The best I've seen. Around three minutes left on the clock, SF continues to come from behind, drives 92 yards and wins on a td score with half a minute on the clock. You don't get a better under pressure performance. Surgical.

2) 2002 Patriots vs. Rams
I don't count it. The late drive was marvelous, but I'm not sure they didn't get it to be that close on the up and up...and I'm less inclined to credit drives ending in fgs. You want legendary, put it in the end zone.

3) 2004 Patriots vs. Panthers
A very enjoyable game, but the win was set up by a bad kick that gave Brady the ball at his 40 with enough time to set up a fg win in a game that should have gone into overtime.

4) 2008 Giants vs. Patriots
I don't care for this one either. First, the vaunted Pats offense looked almost as anemic against the Giants. Lastly, while Eli was terrific in the drive it took a miracle catch that really was as much luck, thrown in a Hail Mary fashion, to sustain the drive. More luck than skill, again, though the Giants deserved the win that day for generally out playing a team that came in heavily favored.

5) 2009 Steelers vs. Cardinals
This would be my number two. Two and a half left with Big Ben and company trailing by three and he drives them down the field for a td and the win. Cost Warner a walk in HOF nod (though next year should rectify that) but it had everything you could ask for.

6) 2012 Giants vs. Patriots
The best of the two and this one, despite the calculated gimme at the end of it, was a really good drive by the younger Manning. I'll take it third.

Fourth on my list would be the Denver win over Green Bay, Super Bowl XXXII.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yeah, I don't understand why people say that pass from Eli was spectacular. No it wasn't. Neither was Bradshaw's passes. He was much better in the SB than the regular season, but he was a huge beneficiary of great receiver play.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Yeah, I don't understand why people say that pass from Eli was spectacular. No it wasn't. Neither was Bradshaw's passes. He was much better in the SB than the regular season, but he was a huge beneficiary of great receiver play.

Spectacular, no. Unbelievably lucky? Absolutely.

And I've only ever watched it once.:chuckle:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Fourth on my list would be the Denver win over Green Bay, Super Bowl XXXII.

That wasn't "last minute".

There was still 1:45 left in the game when Denver scored (Holmgren let Denver score)

In fact, Green Bay almost had a "last minute" drive. After Denver scored, Green Bay marched down to the Denver 35 yard line and there was still 1:04 left in the game.

Had Antonio Freeman not dropped Favre's pass at the 15 yard line, Favre and Green Bay might be on the "last minute" drive list.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Speaking of big passes that were not spectacular plays by the QB, Doug Flutie while at Boston College has to be the top of that list. That is where the term "hail mary" comes from. All he did was chuck it as far as he could. The receiver, whom most cannot name, was the most outstanding player.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
That wasn't "last minute".

There was still 1:45 left in the game when Denver scored (Holmgren let Denver score)
They weren't stopping Denver so the last second gimme doesn't bother me and under two minutes left is a pretty clutch drive when you're trailing.

In fact, Green Bay almost had a "last minute" drive. After Denver scored, Green Bay marched down to the Denver 35 yard line and there was still 1:04 left in the game.
And t here are a list of "amazing" similar bits when prevent is in play and there's not enough real time left to score more than a fg.

So then what happened?

Had Antonio Freeman not dropped Favre's pass at the 15 yard line, Favre and Green Bay might be on the "last minute" drive list.
And that would have made it higher on the list. :)

Mocking You

Speaking of big passes that were not spectacular plays by the QB, Doug Flutie while at Boston College has to be the top of that list. That is where the term "hail mary" comes from.

Correction. The modern usage of the term "Hail Mary" comes from the Cowboys vs. Vikings 1975 NFC conference semi game. Roger Staubach said he closed his eyes, said a Hail Mary and threw the pass. Drew Pearson pushed Viking defender Nate Wright down and caught the pass winning the game for the Cowboys. A disgruntled Viking fan, angry because offensive pass interference was not called, hurled a bottle of booze and struck the referee in the head.

The play has been called the 'Hail Mary' play ever since.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Ereck Flowers from the U was tops on the bench press with 37 reps. Mitch Morse from Missouri had 36. Sean Hickey from Syracuse had 35 reps.

A large amount were in the 20s. Three others had 30, 30, and 31.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Tight ends running the 40.

1. Saxton, Wes South Alabama TE 4.56 u
  2. Pruitt, MyCole Southern Illinois TE 4.58 u
  3. Williams, Maxx Minnesota TE 4.77 u
  4. Walford, Clive Miami TE 4.79 u
  5. Bell, Blake Oklahoma TE 4.81 u
  6. James, Jesse Penn St. TE 4.83 u
  7. Sifrin, Jean Massachusetts TE 4.84 u
  8. Christian, Gerald Louisville TE 4.87 u
  9. Clear, Cameron Texas A&M TE 4.89 u
  10. O'Leary, Nick Florida St. TE 4.94 u

Last edited:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Tight ends running the 40.

My Steelers desperately need help in the secondary this draft. They really need a cornerback.

However, it's a really bad draft class for corners. Most mock drafts only have one corner going in the first round.

So, they may take a safety.

If they don't pick a corner in the first round, I'm predicting they take Alabama's Landon Collins in the first round.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Darrell Green was the last player selected in the first round when he came out in 1983. Which was also the year of the quarterback. So maybe...

Status
Not open for further replies.