NFL 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Clinton Portis was far from as productive as Davis, and he is not the no-name you speak of. It was Olandis Gary. Sorry if I spelled it wrong. I remember.
And didn't Anderson do all right there as well?

From an solid NFL.com article on the travesty of his not even making it to the final 15 for argument by Kevin Patra:

Twelve players have won both Super Bowl MVP and regular season AP MVP awards in their careers. Seven of the eight eligible for the Hall have been elected: Bart Starr, Terry Bradshaw, Joe Montana, Marcus Allen, Emmitt Smith, John Elway and Steve Young.

Only Davis remains on the outside.

When T.D. eventually does get into that room, his resume will hold more than four fantastic seasons, two Super Bowl trophies and those MVP awards...

The former Broncos back is tied with Emmitt Smith for most 100-plus-yard rushing games in the playoffs with seven. T.D. did it in eight games. Emmitt needed 17. Oh, and Davis' were accomplished in seven consecutive games (holding the record). The Broncos won every one of those contests.

Davis has the highest career playoff rushing average at 5.59 yards per attempt -- he averaged 142.5 yards per playoff game -- and ranks fifth in most career postseason touchdowns (12), in far fewer games than his colleagues, all of whom are in the Hall.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And that also doesn't explain the tackling machine that was Randy Gradishar of the Orange Crush not getting to the Hall. He was only the leading tackler in the history of the NFL when he left. It is complete insanity, and why I mock many of the pro-sports HOF from time to time here.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I cant' figure out the Hall's stupidity when it comes to great Bronco players.

Four Broncos made this years semifinalists:

Steve Atwater

Terrell Davis

John Lynch

Karl Mecklenburg

Besides the above four men, what other "great Bronco players" are there who aren't in the HOF?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The former Broncos back is tied with Emmitt Smith for most 100-plus-yard rushing games in the playoffs with seven.

Post-season career rushing leaders:

1) Emmit Smith 1,586
2) Franco Harris 1,556
3) Thurman Thomas 1,442
4) Tony Dorsett 1,383
5) Marcus Allen 1,347
6) Terrell Davis 1,140

No other back has more than 1,000 yards.

Marshawn Lynch has 917, but no other current back is even close.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Four Broncos made this years semifinalists:

Steve Atwater

Terrell Davis

John Lynch

Karl Mecklenburg

Besides the above four men, what other "great Bronco players" are there who aren't in the HOF?

Atwater was a celebrity for hitting. I am not sure if he belongs. Then again, that is how safeties get recognized. It isn't for actually saving the touchdown on broken plays.

Davis and Gradishar were absolutely dominate while playing. See how many players ahead of him in the hall are way behind. And I thought Mecklenberg was as good as any when he played. Sure, he wasn't a showoff and didn't make a fool of himself like Gastineau. He just tackled everybody. He had more to do with Dan Reeves making 3 SuperBowls with Elway, than Elway did. I know Bronco fans don't want to hear it, but those 3 seasons their defense was outstanding and he crushed it.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have a small list of famous linebackers who tackled less than Gradishar. Just as a reminder, that is what a linebacker should do. It is like a running back getting rushing yards.

Jack Lambert 1,045

Mike Singeltary 1,488

Ray Lewis 1,349 and 1 murder. He is one behind the juice in that category

Rickey Jackson 1,173

Derrick Brooks 1,301

Junior Seau (a favorite of mine) 1,524

Randy Gradishar 2,049

I included some older ones and overlapping, less somebody tries to claim stats keeping differences. It is a bit like Emmit Smith not being in the Hall.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Atwater was a celebrity for hitting. I am not sure if he belongs. Then again, that is how safeties get recognized. It isn't for actually saving the touchdown on broken plays.
Steve Atwater: eight pro bowls in ten years and arguably the best at his position for most of that time, member of the all decade team and defensive captain of both SB winning teams. 1,180 tackles from the free safety spot? He belongs.

Terrell Davis: should already be in.

John Lynch: A Buc, but he's in in time. He's a great hitter and motivator, take him or Sap or Brooks away from Tampa and no one has a ring.

Karl Mecklenburg: the Snow Goose? Absolutely.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I have a small list of famous linebackers who tackled less than Gradishar. Just as a reminder, that is what a linebacker should do. It is like a running back getting rushing yards.

Jack Lambert 1,045

Mike Singeltary 1,488

Ray Lewis 1,349 and 1 murder. He is one behind the juice in that category

Rickey Jackson 1,173

Derrick Brooks 1,301

Junior Seau (a favorite of mine) 1,524

Randy Gradishar 2,049

I included some older ones and overlapping, less somebody tries to claim stats keeping differences. It is a bit like Emmit Smith not being in the Hall.

Interceptions by the above LB's

Lambert - 28
Singletary - 7
Lewis - 31
Jackson - 8
Brooks - 25
Seau - 18

Gradishar - 20

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Steve Atwater: eight pro bowls in ten years and arguably the best at his position for most of that time, member of the all decade team and defensive captain of both SB winning teams. 1,180 tackles from the free safety spot? He belongs.

A celebrity, no doubt. He was a pro-bowler for being a terminator style tackler. Back when players did not get fined laying the boom. His pass coverage was not the tightest. Then again, he was not a corner. I'll buy it. He dominated the AFC while Lott did the NFC.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A bit like Reggie wearing pinstripes in the Hall because of three home runs. Even though the Hall is supposed to be about great careers, not a great game.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
A bit like Reggie wearing pinstripes in the Hall because of three home runs. Even though the Hall is supposed to be about great careers, not a great game.
About it...though I guess you could argue that the impact of those hits and how they defined him makes his choice at least understandable.

Now as unlikely as this is, say Peyton comes back healthy and wins it all. Then he comes back for an encore and wins it all. :think: Or what if Peyton had won the Seattle SB and this more recent one, come back and done well for another year or two. What if Warner won two with the Cardinals?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Kurt Warner happened so fast I did not give him credit at the time for his absolute awesomeness at quarterback.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Kurt Warner happened so fast I did not give him credit at the time for his absolute awesomeness at quarterback.
Would have been a more sustained period but he got hurt and denied it, then gave up his primary job with the Rams and warmed the place up for Eli in New York. You could see him getting it back there and by the time he had the Arizona job fully it was hard to miss what had happened to him, physically and mentally prior. The only reason he's not in first ballot was media bias and the way the Hall is about career length with qbs.

One of the best stories in NFL history and he'd have made it in one if he'd won that second ring with the Rams, which he arguably should have (yes, I'm looking at you, New England) or if his team hadn't let him down in Arizona. One of the greats who just had to have a chance on the field and finally got it.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The end of Bo Jackson's career.

Nobody else would have ever walked away

I was watching some medical stuff on espn about him. The damage that happened was kind of like Dale Earnhardt's crash. It was very violent when he hit the ground because he ran so hard and fast. He said he was in unbelievable pain. And the comment about doesn't appear serious was because of just how tuff he was. They didn't know. It's just a flesh wound.

Status
Not open for further replies.