NFL 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Carolina vs Denver...

:yawn:

The only story here this is probably Manning's last game.

I hope Denver gets waxed.

Not me. I want him to get his second ring and ride off into the sunset. Also, I think the Panthers are obnoxious and would be the worst winners in the world.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
The irony is that it was Bill Belichich who lobbied for the rule change to move the extra point back 15 yards.
I have thought more about this season. Gostkowski missed the PAT, but, Belichick, back in December, opted to kick instead of receive for OT against the Jets. At the time, I figured that he must have been thinking his team could use some real-game practice or something, but now, given the eventual seeding, and knowing that had they won against the Jets, yesterday's game probably would have been at NE instead of at Denver, I've got to put this one on the coach.

Yes, he wanted the PAT moved back, and it served his purpose unwittingly when Gostkowski flanked it (it makes the PAT less automatic), but if he had opted to receive against the Jets in OT that day (which is what the conventional wisdom was), instead of being such a maverick, then yesterday would have played out much better for the Pats. IMO.

I'm happy for Manning and I agree with Granite's last post on the matter of the SB. Go Broncos.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Carolina by 20 at least. Broncos will melt down on the first play like they did with the Seahawks 2 year ago.
Not likely. That was a confluence of things. First, injuries to Manning made him ineffective and easy to swat down or pick, the latter happening twice. Two additional team turnovers, a kick return for a td breakdown on special teams and a defense that was worn out by halftime made for a dramatically uneven game.

Why is this different? Because this defense is the best in the game and Carolina hasn't seen its like yet. Peyton is no longer trying to do what he's increasingly less capable of doing and will play within himself. If he doesn't or gets hurt his back up might make the Panthers wish they'd been kinder.

I have the game as an 8 pt Carolina victory, but I've had the Broncos behind each of the playoff games and they've surprised (I had NE by 7). This one could as easily be close.

The Berean

Can the Panthers become just the third 15-1 team to win the Super Bowl? The 1984-85 San Francisco 49ers and the 1985-86 Chicago Bears did it. I'm a 49ers fan but that Bears team was simply unbelievable.

genuineoriginal

screen-shot-2016-01-25-at-9-15-30-am.png

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Can the Panthers become just the third 15-1 team to win the Super Bowl? The 1984-85 San Francisco 49ers and the 1985-86 Chicago Bears did it. I'm a 49ers fan but that Bears team was simply unbelievable.
84 49ers
PF: 475
PA: 227

85 Bears
PF: 456
PA: 198

2015 Panthers
PF: 500
PA: 308

So they've scored 25 more points than SF and given up 81 more points defensively. And it's worth noting that, again, Carolina racked up most of those totals against weaker competition. They looked the part against Arizona, even so.

In the last twenty years a team with over 300 pts allowed on defense during the regular season has won the Super Bowl a scant seven times.

Seven out of twenty. And the Pats were involved in three of those. The last one, which is a near miracle win for NE and two collapses against inferior Giant's teams. Subtract the two NE meltdowns and the improbable win and the total would be four out of twenty.

That's another reason for Denver fans to feel better.

I'm looking at SBs for the fun of it. Figuring the biggest upsets relative to regular season performance.

In the last twenty the worst five are:

1. Denver/Seattle

Remarkably, though this one looks horrific and is the worst of the lot, it's only a five point statistically worse performance than our next stinker.

2. Gia/NE I

Right, it's a close game so it looks less embarrassing, until you look at the regular season numbers between the two and realize the Giants should have looked like the old Denver vs SF game.

3. Oak/TB

This one makes a little sense, given the man who put together that mostly unaltered and impressive offense was on the other side telling his new team's defense how to beat it.

4. Chi/Ind

Though on the flip side of this Peyton has the odd distinction of being involved in both the worst and, here, one of the best within the top upsets relative. He shows up again at six on the downside. Meaning he and Brady are captains of four of the six worst SB letdown performances.

Who'd have figured?

5. Gia/NE II

Though the Giants came in weaker on offense and especially defense for part II, the Pats had come back somewhat on offense and declined appreciably on defense.

Who's celebrating the Broncos win?
A lot of people who like Peyton, including most Indy fans.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Not me. I want him to get his second ring and ride off into the sunset. Also, I think the Panthers are obnoxious and would be the worst winners in the world.

I do get annoyed by some of their antics and I think they could be obnoxious winners. I still hope they win.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I was out of town for the Championship Games, but this was the mindset in Pittsburgh before the games:

Spoiler
12548986_10208694523028761_5232488095800265529_n.jpg

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Can the Panthers become just the third 15-1 team to win the Super Bowl?

Before Carolina this year, only four teams have previously gone 15-1.

Two of those teams won the Super Bowl, the other two lost their Conference Championship Games.

The two 15-1 teams that won the Super Bowl:

1984 San Francisco 49'ers
1985 Chicago Bears

The two 15-1 teams that lost their Conference Championship Games:

1998 Minnesota Vikings
2004 Pittsburgh Steelers

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
:noid: I do what I can.
I'm feeling a new Chiefs motto coming on. :thumb:

Hang in there, kmo...your children may not live to see it and their children may not live to see it, but one day Kansas City will be on top again. Or at least make the conference finals.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The NFL has released its 50th Anniversary Golden Team. Some interesting selections and omissions.

OFFENSE

Joe Montana, QB
The obvious choice. The argument would be over number two.

Jay Novacek, TE
This I don't get. He was a terrific player, but he's not even my first Cowboy at the position, and that guy isn't in my top 10. Give me Gonzales or Winslow Sr. or Sharp.

Emmitt Smith, Franco Harris, RB
Another head scratch for me. Fine RBs, but I'll take Jim Brown, Barry Sanders and Sweetness before them. Bo, healthy.

Lynn Swann, Jerry Rice, WR
Rice is another no brainer, but Swann? Video fodder but the second best wr on his own SB teams. In any event I'll take Moss as the second option.

Mike Webster, C; Art Shell, Forrest Gregg, T; Gene Upshaw, Larry Allen, G.
I'll go Dawson, C; Munoz, Williams, T; Hannah, McDaniel, G

TBC...
DEFENSE

Reggie White, Charles Haley, DE
Joe Greene, Randy White, DT
Lawrence Taylor, Jack Ham, OLB Ray Lewis, Jack Lambert, ILB
Mel Blount, Deion Sanders, CB
Ronnie Lott, Jake Scott, S.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Adam Vinatieri, PK
Ray Guy, P
Desmond Howard, KR.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
This I don't get. ....Rice is another no brainer, but Swann?...... I'll take Jim Brown, Barry Sanders

It's guys who played in Super Bowls.

Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, and Winslow Sr. never played in a Super Bowl.

Swann excelled in Super Bowls, as did Franco and Emmitt.

Walter Payton and Randy Moss didn't do much in the one Super Bowl they each played in.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It's guys who played in Super Bowls.
I knew there had to be a reason. Thanks.

Swann excelled in Super Bowls, as did Franco and Emmitt.
Moss was in one and a better wr. I'd take Franco over Emmitt, who was a smart back with a sense for finding the hole, but greatly benefited from one of the best O lines any back ran behind.

Walter Payton and Randy Moss didn't do much in the one Super Bowl they each played in.
Too small a sampling, but I'll take either over the given, given what they showed throughout. Give them four SBs and see what happens. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.