NFL 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Slight difference. Terrell Davis was on the roster and was a punishing runner. Denver's upgrades are legitimate but they are not as good of a roster that won two in a row.
I don't know if I agree. Davis gave them a balance that team needed. This one doesn't have that same quality, but it's a better offensive team in an era when the run isn't the same animal either. And the Bronco defense will be much improved as well. I think this is a better team than Elway won with. The question to my mind is more about that offensive line and getting to use the skill positions and making that upgraded and injury free defense play to its potential.

If they do that they're as good or better than anyone.

And Seattle won't be as good. Their qb was exposed late, their rb is in a funk and they played over their heads on defense last year. I think it will be a bit like the Saints, where the breaks don't tend to fall their way and they come back to the pack. SF should overtake them this year unless their signal caller fails to continue to improve or the Saints make it a moot point, which is possible.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I think a slight slip in Denver is inevitable. It's hard to climb the mountain two years in a row.

They'll be bounced in the divisional round.
When you're offensively as good as they were a slip still leaves you ahead of the pack and there's no reason their defense shouldn't be appreciably improved.

As for back to backs (shudder) Buffalo made it four times...so if you're good enough failure in the big game is no bar. And this team, again, should be better overall than they were last year, even with an offense that likely won't be.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't know if I agree. Davis gave them a balance that team needed.

I think Davis was the drive on that team. He made it very easy for Elway who did have a very good receiving corp. And one of the best tight ends of all time.

This one doesn't have that same quality, but it's a better offensive team in an era when the run isn't the same animal either.

It definitely isn't. The rules and enforcement favor the pass. That part of me thinks Manzeil could be a monster when all is said and done.

If they do that they're as good or better than anyone.

Yes, that is why I mentioned the Broncos have won the most games the last two years with Manning at the controls.

I think Pete Carroll is a good football coach, but he has to be in the right situation which he is. The SEC wanted no part of lining up with USC during USC's dominate BCS run. Too bad they had to go and do dumb stuff like lose to UCLA when UCLA was in the dumps.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I think Davis was the drive on that team. He made it very easy for Elway who did have a very good receiving corp. And one of the best tight ends of all time.
And Elway, without the old legs and in a much more structured system had a better time under center with less pressure.

It definitely isn't. The rules and enforcement favor the pass. That part of me thinks Manzeil could be a monster when all is said and done.
If he isn't screwed up by the Browns. It wouldn't be the first qb with potential they've ruined.

Yes, that is why I mentioned the Broncos have won the most games the last two years with Manning at the controls.
Barring injuries they have to be a strong favorite to come out of the AFC.

I think Pete Carroll is a good football coach, but he has to be in the right situation which he is.
He's a fine coach and better motivator, but he has personnel issues this year and I think his defense won't repeat last years output. Which wouldn't be an issue if the offense could improve, but the book on them was in late last year and their most reliable go to is turning prima donna. SF was close enough without that sort of nonsense.

The SEC wanted no part of lining up with USC during USC's dominate BCS run.
They had a strong run. No one was eager to line up with them for a bit.

Too bad they had to go and do dumb stuff like lose to UCLA when UCLA was in the dumps.
Any given Sunday. :)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If he isn't screwed up by the Browns. It wouldn't be the first qb with potential they've ruined.

I seem to remember the best passing QB(by the numbers) to come from the SEC. It didn't work out to well.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I have a feeling Pete Carroll is building the next Super Bowl Dynasty.

Nice story...but it's not going to happen. The Seahawks will probably be pretty good for a while but I don't see them winning multiple titles in the next couple years.

Krsto

Nice story...but it's not going to happen. The Seahawks will probably be pretty good for a while but I don't see them winning multiple titles in the next couple years.

Carroll's genius, with help from his back office, has been to find talent others pass over during the draft, to build a team with depth. That has worked well against teams that rely on a super star and should serve them well this year.

Their first pre-season game is against the Broncos. I wonder how much this game will tell us about the state of these two teams this year. If Denver happens to win Carroll can always say, "Pre-season games are about testing and learning, not about winning." If they route Denver like they did in the SB everyone will be thinking this team is just as good as last year.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I seem to remember the best passing QB(by the numbers) to come from the SEC. It didn't work out to well.
Horrible situation with reports of a coaching staff that seemed dedicated to the failure. That odd self inflicted wounding seems to be a head down condition in Cleveland football. Darn odd.

Carroll's genius, with help from his back office, has been to find talent others pass over during the draft, to build a team with depth. That has worked well against teams that rely on a super star and should serve them well this year.
He has Jimmy Johnson's eye for talent and can motivate like crazy. That will win you a lot of ball games. And he knows how to surround himself with talented coaching. So your organization has a good formula for success, but don't get ahead of yourself. A lot of teams spark for a year and that's it. Look at how dominant that last championship Bears team was. It had a great running back and a qb who could get it done here and there, even if he wasn't a world beater. Had a phenomenal defense. Primed for a dynasty, right?

Their first pre-season game is against the Broncos. I wonder how much this game will tell us about the state of these two teams this year.
Probably not much as the majority of it will be scrubs playing to make the margins.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Primed for a dynasty, right?

You might not think so if you watched that butt kicking on Monday Night Football at the hands of Dan Marino. They (Miami) just lost....to the Patsies.

Just like Denver under Shanahan losing to Jacksonville. As a side note, that made Bret Favre a Super Bowl winning quarter back and prevented a three-peat for Denver.

beloved57

Will M Vick get the nod over Smith in NY ? I hope so ! The Falcons addressed the OL and if that holds out, the Defence should be play better !

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I recall him being pummeled in more than a few, finding the right team balance then winning two, back to back. :p :)

Peyton got the skill positions on offense working well last year but the line was a problem and that killed them in the big game. You need more than a second to complete a pass. If you can't give your qb that no skill position set is going to matter. This year the line play will be appreciably improved, the running game should keep coming along and the defense, barring injury, will be appreciably better both at pressuring opposing offenses and line play. It's a recipe for success.
:noid: I hope you're wrong.

A bad series or two, likely. Absolutely a loss or two. Again, Hoyer, hale fellow that he doubtless is, has been a journeyman qb. He had a couple of good games last year and put up a decent qbr. The year before, in Arizona, he looked appreciably worse.
Yes. It seems like people may be going a bit overboard on Hoyer. Was it their coach who said he reminds him of Brady? :eek: But I wish him success. And Manziel sitting for a bit is probably best for him too.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
:noid: I hope you're wrong.
:reals:

Yes. It seems like people may be going a bit overboard on Hoyer.
By all accounts he's a stand up, decent and likable fellow.

Was it their coach who said he reminds him of Brady? :eek:
Must be thinking of height or haircut, because that's about all I can think of that might be in the ballpark (either).

But I wish him success. And Manziel sitting for a bit is probably best for him too.
It's easier to start Hoyer and bring Johnny along. Manziel has a lot to learn about pro systems and Hoyer appears to be decent enough. It's not like Johnny is the missing piece on a playoff bound juggernaut.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The HOF ceremony was too long. I understand why the guys who made it through after years of waiting have a lot to say, but good grief. Maybe there should be a separate ceremony for those who enter by the Veterans Committee, the way the Oscars puts certain of its awards off the main. That would leave the more current inductees, with the commiserate interest, enough time to speak their piece to the larger and interested audience.

A decent class. Not many particularly memorable moments this year in terms of speeches.

Next year? Pace and Seau seem locks. After that...

Warner should be in, but you never know. First ballot induction for someone with his background and uneven (if often inspired) play and production might be a question mark, as would the lock of Pace, putting two teammates in on the same year isn't something normally done...but given the lack of QB induction for the past seven and taking into account the only downside to Warner's ride could be injury related I suspect he gets in anyway.

After that? Brown is due. Bettis might get in. If Brown gets in does Harrison? His numbers were of the first ballot magnitude, but his off the field reputation and the fact that Peyton appears to create WRs at will might put him in line for a while.

Haley is looking more like an eventual Veterans end run, given the animosity among enough sports writers to keep him out doesn't appear to be thinning appreciably.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I was thinking Strahan is long winded but carried himself well.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
ESPN is talking about Manziel....shocking, I know. He has been wearing his "red jersey". I might watch some of the preseason game just to see if he gets smoked by a NFL linebacker. Because it hasn't happened yet.

Daniel1611

Yinz better be ready for the Stillers to take another ring. I can feel it already. This is going to be another Superbowl year for black and gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.