NFL 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
That's why I only count teams that make the Super Bowl from the Wildcard position. It's unfair to credit teams who play one game less. Or some such nonsense...:plain:

C'mon, do you think it's equally as easy to win a championship playing 3 games in the postseason as it is to play 1 game?

I acknowledge that the wildcard teams that have won Super Bowls never would have even made the postseason before the merger, but they are a rare occurrence (although not recently).

1980 Raiders
1997 Broncos
2000 Ravens
2005 Steelers
2007 Giants
2010 Packers

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Name one player from the 60's Packers that is one of the all-time greats?

You won't find Bart Starr on any Top-10 QB's of all time lists.
A bit of an arbitrary cut off. He's in the bleeding Hall of Fame and no one seriously suggests he's out of his depth there.

You won't find Paul Hornung or Jim Taylor in a "greatest running backs" lists.
You won't find Franco Harris on most top ten lists either. He was a pretty darn good back.

You won't find Ray Nitschke in a "greatest linebackers" conversation.
You're daft. Athlon sports, to name one, has him as the fifth greatest middle linebacker of all time.

Their coach (Vince Lombardi) is the most famous person from those teams.
Great coach, but your distinctions are mistaken and artificial.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
FYI: the 1997 Broncos and 2000 Ravens were both wild card teams, but they both hosted games at home during the wild card round.

So, they only had to win two games on the road to reach the Super Bowl.

The 80' Raiders, 05' Steelers, 07' Giants, and 10' Packers all had to win three games on the road to reach the Super Bowl.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
C'mon, do you think it's equally as easy to win a championship playing 3 games in the postseason as it is to play 1 game?
I think it's harder to play sixteen than twelve. But in the end you play the best and you make your case on the field. They did that. The rest, as I've noted, is arbitrary and there's no end of the "different/harder" permutations to be had under a microscope and arguments all around.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
A bit of an arbitrary cut off. He's in the bleeding Hall of Fame and no one seriously suggests he's out of his depth there.

I know he's in the HOF, but show me a Top-10 QB list that has him on it?

You won't find Franco Harris on most top ten lists either. He was a pretty darn good back.

Franco's 13th all-time in yards, and Jim Brown and Walter Peyton are the only backs ahead of Franco that didn't play all of their careers with a 16 game schedule.

If you factor in Franco's average yards per game, and apply that to two extra games the first six years of his career when he played a 14 game season, Franco would be 7th on the all-time list.

You're daft. Athlon sports, to name one, has him as the fifth greatest middle linebacker of all time.

Ok, I'll concede on that one, but IMO Ray Lewis, Mike Singletary, and Jack Lambert played at a different level.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
there's no end of the "different/harder" permutations to be had under a microscope and arguments all around.

Look at the Yankees.

They went to the Word Series 28 times from 1921-1963 (43 years) because they had the best record in the American League those years.

Once MLB added more teams, and an extra round in 1969, they only went to the World Series 12 times from 1969 - 2014 (45 years) despite having the American League's best record 18 times during that span.

IOW, with more teams the talent is diluted, and the extra postseason round makes it harder.

It's why the Montreal Canadians were so dominant from 1942 - 1967 (they won 12 championships), there were only 6 teams, and they only had to play one round to make it to the Cup Finals.

You're not going to see an NHL team win 12 Stanley Cups in 25 years with 30 teams and 3 rounds just to reach the finals.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Therefore, I don't really care what happened before the Super Bowl Era

We know. You should also not care what John Adams, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin think about how this country should be run because it was before you were born.

You don't acknowledge it because you are homer, no other reason.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I know he's in the HOF, but show me a Top-10 QB list that has him on it?
Too many great players wouldn't make that list. It's an artificial barrier.
Franco's 13th all-time in yards,
So when it suits you alter the standard? :nono: He's not on that short list. Should he feel embarrassed? Lessened? Of course not.

If you factor in Franco's average yards per game, and apply that to two extra games the first six years of his career when he played a 14 game season, Franco would be 7th on the all-time list.
If he had wings he might have flown. Next.

Ok, I'll concede on that one, but IMO Ray Lewis, Mike Singletary, and Jack Lambert played at a different level.
A purely subjective foundation in distinction.

You're selling the Pack short for no good reason and I'm not for the reasons given prior and the lack of legs on your objections generally and else.

Look at the Yankees...
You can make two arguments for expansion. One is that it dilutes the general level of competition, which gives more modern players an easier roe to hoe, despite extra games. Like I said, you can go down that sort of rabbit hole and never see sunlight again.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Like the Canadians, the Boston Celtics had great success with a small amount of teams in the league, and only having to win one round to make the finals.

The Celtics won 8 titles in a row, and 11 in 13 years when the NBA had 9 teams in the league.

The Celtics had to win one five game playoff series to make the Finals.

Today, there are 30 teams, and an NBA team has to win three seven game playoff series just to make the finals.

Which is why you won't see an NBA team win 9 titles in 13 years.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You should also not care what John Adams, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin think about how this country should be run because it was before you were born.

All but one of the aforementioned men owned slaves.

You don't acknowledge it because you are homer, no other reason.

What the Steelers did in the 70's was a far greater achievement than what the Packers did in the 60's.

What the Chicago Bulls did in the 90's was a far greater achievement than what the Celtics did in the 60's.

Somehow you guys think winning a championship with 8-14 teams in the league and one playoff round is the same thing as winning a championship with 30 teams and three playoff rounds.

It's a lot harder nowadays.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yeah, Satchel Paige was something else. But that thread is in a couple of weeks.

When Babe Ruth hit 54 home runs in 1920, he broke the record of 27 by somebody other than him (29 the year before). In other words, when Bonds hit his 73, (pretending he was not on HGH) that would be like hitting 146 the next year for the new record. But keep saying Ruth would have been slowed down.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
When Babe Ruth hit 54 home runs in 1920, he broke the record of 27 by somebody other than him (29 the year before). In other words, when Bonds hit his 73, (pretending he was not on HGH) that would be like hitting 146 the next year for the new record. But keep saying Ruth would have been slowed down.

Take a look at the Top-10 for most career HR's, and see how many white guys are on it besides Ruth.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Other news and notes:

Warren Sap has been fired from the NFL network following an arrest for an altercation and solicitation of prostitution.

Johnny Football is now Johnny rehab, surprising nearly no one, or his fan club, but I repeat myself.

Ah yes, Johnny: the gift that keeps on giving.

I seriously don't think Cleveland's ever gonna catch a break.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I seriously don't think Cleveland's ever gonna catch a break.

Forget about catching a break, their #1 wide receiver isn't going to catch a pass next year.

Josh Gordon was just suspended for one year.

He missed 11 games last year because of suspension.

In 2013 Gordon was the NFL's leader with 1,646 receiving yards, was named First Team All Pro, and became the only receiver in NFL history to have back-to-back 200+ yard receiving games when he had 237 yards in week 12, and 261 yards in week 13.

Remember how everyone was talking about how great of a duo Johnny Football and Josh Gordon were going to be?

Only in Cleveland......

Granite

Hall of Fame
Forget about catching a break, their #1 wide receiver isn't going to catch a pass next year.

Josh Gordon was just suspended for one year.

He missed 11 games last year because of suspension.

In 2013 Gordon was the NFL's leader with 1,646 receiving yards, was named First Team All Pro, and became the only receiver in NFL history to have back-to-back 200+ yard receiving games when he had 237 yards in week 12, and 261 yards in week 13.

Remember how everyone was talking about how great of a duo Johnny Football and Josh Gordon were going to be?

Only in Cleveland......

Very sad, really, considering how dogged and loyal their fans are. You figure that sooner or later every team gets their day in the sun, and then you look at these guys.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Very sad, really, considering how dogged and loyal their fans are. You figure that sooner or later every team gets their day in the sun, and then you look at these guys.

They have bad ownership and management. New owners after expansion, same bad results.

They needed Sammy Watkins (skill players) desperately last year and took a DB they didn't need and a short QB with a bad attitude who can not take a snap under center. I still don't think he is good enough for the NFL.

They draft terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.