NBA 2015-16

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
You wouldn't say that if Worthy had been a Celtic.[/qtuoe]
I said it about the Chief. I ran Worthy's numbers. He reminds me of Horry. Could kill you in a game, but his numbers aren't spectacular when you really look at him. I respect his game the way I respected Cooper's defense. But you take Worthy off that team and he's not in the Hall. Just another very good player who had the right help and rose to the occasion a few times that were memorable.

I think he just isn't comfortable in his role. He's had some great games against great defenses, but he wasn't in the position and didn't have the same sort of pressure. His talent is there, but I think his head is suspect. Not everyone is built for the role he ended up with...though I think if they got Whiteside it would actually help him.

I have a Cavalier attitude

The Berean

I'm still trying to process the Durant signing. As expected the Warriors have to dump lots of salary as Andrew Bogut was traded and Harrison Barnes also signed somewhere else. The Warriors also gave up their rights to Festiz Ezili as well. The Warriors now have to rebuild their bench and bring in new role players. This offseason will me interesting for the Warriors.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Kevin McHale 17.9 PPG James Worthy 17.6 PPG
McHale .558 FG% Worthy .532 FG%
McHlae 7.1 RPG Worthy 5.1 RPG

Worthy was a wing and fast break forward with the Lakers and not a primary post player like McHale. Worthy was all that and then some.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm still trying to process the Durant signing. As expected the Warriors have to dump lots of salary as Andrew Bogut was traded and Harrison Barnes also signed somewhere else.

I'm with you. I think many dominoes will fall in the end. One of my first thoughts was Dwayne Wade to Cleveland. Then I turned on the Herd and realized I am not the only one thinking it.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Kevin McHale 17.9 PPG James Worthy 17.6 PPG
McHale .558 FG% Worthy .532 FG%
McHlae 7.1 RPG Worthy 5.1 RPG

Worthy was a wing and fast break forward with the Lakers and not a primary post player like McHale. Worthy was all that and then some.
Both belong in the Hall of very, very good players. Neither are on par with Bird, Magic, or Jabbar.

As I noted in my bit on that, reproduced a couple of posts ago, Worthy is pretty tightly contested by Wilkes, who no one is arguing for as an all-time great.

So. Very good player. Could take his game higher on occasion and did, though not consistently. He was consistently very, very good. The Lakers had a big two plus. The Celtics had Larry, plus. Really amazing when you think about that.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Once in a while I read that Worthy played with Jordan and then Magic and he is over rated. Yes he did play with them. Duly noted. And he made the best of it. And others did not.

And I maintain that GS could end up similar to those Lakers teams with an aging but still dominating Jabbar and Magic Johnson.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Once in a while I read that Worthy played with Jordan and then Magic and he is over rated. Yes he did play with them. Duly noted. And he made the best of it. And others did not.
I'm not a Worthy hater. He was a tremendous player.

And I maintain that GS could end up similar to those Lakers teams with an aging but still dominating Jabbar and Magic Johnson.
I think if they can put together any sort of decent bench they're scary. Without that, they're a little less scary, but have to still be the prohibitive favorite.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
That's right.

Worthy was the second greatest tomahawk slam dunk'er ever.

Only Dr. J was better.

Dr. J had greatest the single greatest dunk in the history of the NBA:
Well then, put Vince Carter on the all-time lists. :rolleyes:

Really good player. Not on Magic or Jabbar's level by any reasonable metric as demonstrated in my putting his stats side by side with another really good Laker player (Wilkes) nobody is trying to make into something he isn't.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Vince - Worthy

Reg Season

PPG: 18.8 - 17.6
RBS: 4.6 - 5.1
AST: 3.4 - 3.0
STL: 1.1 - 1.1
FG: .439 - .521
3PT: .373 - .241
FT: .800 - .769

Playoffs

PPG: 18.8 - 21.1
RBS: 5.6 - 5.2
AST: 3.5 - 3.2
STL: 1.1 - 1.2
FG: .414 - .544
3PT: .334 - .209
FT: .793 - .727

Vince Carter (Dr. Funk) had the greatest Nike commercial ever:
Well, there's that. :chuckle:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Well then, put Vince Carter on the all-time lists. :rolleyes:

Really good player. Not on Magic or Jabbar's level by any reasonable metric as demonstrated in my putting his stats side by side with another really good Laker player (Wilkes) nobody is trying to make into something he isn't.

I disagree.

Dr. J averaged 24.2 points during his 16 year career in the ABA/NBA. He is second all-time in the ABA with an 28.65 average.

He ranks 20th all-time ABA/NBA, and 7 of the players ahead of him played with a 24 second shot clock instead of the 30 second shot clock Dr. J played under.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I disagree.

Dr. J averaged 24.2 points during his 16 year career in the ABA/NBA. He is second all-time in the ABA with an 28.65 average.

He ranks 20th all-time ABA/NBA, and 7 of the players ahead of him played with a 24 second shot clock instead of the 30 second shot clock Dr. J played under.
Worthy, not Dr. J.

I was talking about Worthy. You did the J sidebar. I stayed on target. :eek:

That's why my next post is comparing Vince Carter and Worthy, not Doctor J.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I disagree with you on Worthy also.

Had Worthy played on terrible teams, he probably would have averaged 30 points a game.

George Gervin averaged 26.2 points during his NBA career playing on San Antonio teams that for many years weren't very good.

Same for Pistol Pete. Maravich averaged 24.2 points per game while playing for teams that sucked.

However, Kevin Love is the better analogy. Prior to playing for Cleveland, the previous season Love averaged 26.1 points per game in Minnesota. In his two years with LeBron and Kyrie, Love has averaged 16.4 and 16.0 points.

If Love could average 26.1 points without LeBron and Kyrie, but 16.0 with them, there is no reason to not think Worthy could add 10 points to his season average playing on a sucky team without Magic and Kareem.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That's right.

Worthy was the second greatest tomahawk slam dunk'er ever.

Only Dr. J was better.

Dr. J had the greatest single dunk in the history of the NBA:

Cooper had to duck his head to not hit the backboard, and the Dr was way above him. His Airness is far smoother, refined, and with better ball skills and shot. But his Airness didn't jump higher than the Dr.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Had Worthy played on terrible teams, he probably would have averaged 30 points a game.

Kevin Love would have done more someplace other than Cleveland. Same thing.

I didn't read the rest of the post. Never mind.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

Wishcraft. I only know what he did and how that compared to those who did more.

Kevin Love is the better analogy. Prior to playing for Cleveland, the previous season Love averaged 26.1 points per game in Minnesota. In his two years with LeBron and Kyrie, Love has averaged 16.4 and 16.0 points. If Love could average 26.1 points without LeBron and Kyrie, but 16.0 with them, there is no reason to not think Worthy could add 10 points to his season average playing on a sucky team without Magic and Kareem.
Love had two very strong years when he put up between 18 and 19 shots on average per game. That's when he hit 26. The other four years weren't as heady, scoring wise.

Worthy took that many shots twice and averaged around 20. Or six fewer points than Love with the same number of shots. Worthy's three pt game was unimpressive and he wasn't great from the charity stripe. . . A very good player who wasn't going to be better somewhere else.

SaulToPaul 2

Cooper had to duck his head to not hit the backboard, and the Dr was way above him. His Airness is far smoother, refined, and with better ball skills and shot. But his Airness didn't jump higher than the Dr.

On Tobacco Road growing up in the 70s, legend had it that David Thompson could take a dollar bill off of the top of the backboard and leave change. :noid: