NBA 2015-16

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Jason Williams went to Florida, and was drafted #7 in the first round of the 1998 NBA draft.

Randy Moss went to Marshall, and was drafted #21 in the first round of the 1998 NFL draft.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Jason Williams didn't make any of my lists, but IMO, of all the white guys who ever played, Jason Williams was the most "black" in the way he played.
I don't know what that means, but he had a great handle. Too undisciplined but a flash of Pete in his passing now and then...if you could keep passing to the right team. :thumb:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Grizzlies gave Mike Conley the largest contract in NBA history. He is good, but I'm not seeing it. If he is worth $153 million, what is Durrant worth? Half a billion?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The Grizzlies gave Mike Conley the largest contract in NBA history. He is good, but I'm not seeing it. If he is worth $153 million, what is Durrant worth? Half a billion?
Ridiculous amount.

Meanwhile, Whiteside has said he'd take a less than max contract. Pay attention, GS, Clev and Spurs. He could be a difference maker.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
His nickname was "White Chocolate".

What do you think that means?
Bird once said he was offended when they put a white player on him. I suspect it's a way of racially inculcating the idea of excellence in playing the game. I think that's a foolishness and a waste of time. If someone said a black guy played hockey "white" what would the response be? Even though white hockey players have comprised an overwhelming majority of those who've played the position and played it about as well as a body can.

I know there was an interesting study relating leg to torso length and noting the advantage that, as a rule, black runners had with higher centers of gravity and shorter torsos...an advantage the was flipped in the swimming pool. But it's hard to imagine that impacting a game where there is so much more than speed running up and down the court is involved and I don't know of any truly conclusive studies that can make a genetic argument.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
If someone said a black guy played hockey "white" what would the response be?

There's a big difference.

The NHL wasn't at one time an all black league that turned into an almost all white league.

However, the NBA started out all white, and has become almost all black.

This years 2016 NBA All-Star Game was the first NBA All-Star Game with not one white player. The first 6 NBA All-Star Games were all white.

So, white people tend to get excited when players like Larry Bird and Jason Williams come into the league.

At NBA games, 99% of the people in the stands are white. Black people couldn't care less about hockey.

"And if you just had a couple of white guys in there, you might get them [the fans, not the guys] a little excited. But it is a black man's game, and it will be forever. I mean, the greatest athletes in the world are African-American,"
- Larry Bird

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Forget about white people dominating in hockey, where they dominate is team ownership.

Out of the 153 teams in the six largest sports leagues in the United States (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, WNBA, and MLS), there is one black owner (Michael Jordan).

However, in the history of the 100 meters, only one white man has ever done it in less than 10 seconds.

:think:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
His nickname was "White Chocolate".

What do you think that means?

How about chocolate thunder? Surely that entered your mind when you prepared your post. Because that is immediately where I went.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
There's a big difference.

The NHL wasn't at one time an all black league that turned into an almost all white league.

However, the NBA started out all white, and has become almost all black.
It's not that different from the NFL.

This years 2016 NBA All-Star Game was the first NBA All-Star Game with not one white player. The first 6 NBA All-Star Games were all white.
Out of what, 66 all-star games?

So, white people tend to get excited when players like Larry Bird and Jason Williams come into the league.
They didn't get excited about MJ?

At NBA games, 99% of the people in the stands are white. Black people couldn't care less about hockey.
Most people don't care about hockey.

I still don't get the "playing black" business.

"And if you just had a couple of white guys in there, you might get them [the fans, not the guys] a little excited. But it is a black man's game, and it will be forever. I mean, the greatest athletes in the world are African-American,"
- Larry Bird
Love Larry, but I rarely get my philosophical or scientific understandings from professional athletes. :nono:

I suspect the whole "playing black" business is a hold over from the resentment generated by the influx of black athletes into those traditionally white sports.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
ESPN is now reporting that Kevin Durant states he will sign with Golden State. This is like Len Bias going to the Celtics and not dying. I think we will see playoff history.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
ESPN is now reporting that Kevin Durant states he will sign with Golden State. This is like Len Bias going to the Celtics and not dying. I think we will see playoff history.
I was just about to chime in with this...man, if they don't go on a serious run. The Cavs need to get Whiteside pronto.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't know how Cleveland can beat this, assuming the Warriors gel as a team. You need a starting five like the Celtics and the Lakers back in the 80s, when half the players on the court are future Hall of Fame inductees.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I don't know how Cleveland can beat this, assuming the Warriors gel as a team. You need a starting five like the Celtics and the Lakers back in the 80s, when half the players on the court are future Hall of Fame inductees.

It is the gelling that makes me skeptical about this. I think it could go either way. Maybe they are great. Maybe they lose chemistry a d drop off from last year.

I was hoping Durant would stay in OKC.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
If the Cavs pick up Whiteside and play more like those old Celtic teams of Bird they could challenge. Whiteside is already really, really good and he's improving. They could be a beast inside and look for another perimeter defender. This move will cost GS some of the difference making bench. It's imposing, but now they have to find that hard to manage big three balance.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's imposing, but now they have to find that hard to manage big three balance.

It can be done. I think Durant going shows he will be a team player and it isn't all about him. Some are saying he is just jumping on the bandwagon. Maybe so. But he has to play with them now, and I think he knows it and will do it. It has been done before.

14-Celtics2.jpg

Magic-Johnson-Kareem-Abdul-Jabbar-James-Worthy.jpg

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It can be done. I think Durant going shows he will be a team player and it isn't all about him. Some are saying he is just jumping on the bandwagon. Maybe so. But he has to play with them now, and I think he knows it and will do it. It has been done before.
I suppose it depends on how you see the talent. The Lakers had Jabbar and Magic, with terrific role players in support. I don't think they really had a big three. With Boston I think it was Bird then a half step down you had McHale and then a terrific set of role players, some of whom (as with the Lakers) could play like All-Stars. You could argue it's Durant and Curry, with Klay more of a McHale on his way to being a legitimate third great...but it's really difficult unless you have one of them willing to play the third wheel, the way Bosh did in Miami. The way Love did (if you consider him a great--I think he's a tweener, somewhere between the really talented role player and the legitimate big time player, at least in a market where attention is paid to him) in Cleveland.

If Cleveland gets Whiteside at center they'd be a lot like the Lakers in terms of talent and a really interesting match-up with GS.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You wouldn't say that if Worthy had been a Celtic.

Love had 2 different seasons. He couldn't score against GS because...he is slow, white, and has no moves. He was nearly a non-factor from 3 point range. But he did the small stuff and played great defense. He will help them through the season again with more scoring, and the playoffs. And he needs to be a different player against GS again.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You wouldn't say that if Worthy had been a Celtic.
I said it about the Chief. I ran Worthy's numbers. He reminds me of Horry. Could kill you in a game, but his numbers aren't spectacular when you really look at him. I respect his game the way I respected Cooper's defense. But you take Worthy off that team and he's not in the Hall. Just another very good player who had the right help and rose to the occasion a few times that were memorable.

You didn't include them for consideration. That said, Worthy was a really, really good player, but he wasn't a great one. He was a very, very good one who complimented great players, which Magic and Kareem were.

The Lakers had a talent for finding excellent complimentary pieces, like Robert Horry with the Kobe Lakers, but if Worthy isn't with the Lakers he's not a HOF. His numbers won't put him there without the championship glow and a few great performances on that stage. In a twelve year career he managed better than 20 pts in a season average four times, as you note, while seemingly confused about the role of a point guard, like Magic. I'll get to the numbers directly.

Magic's first two rings came without Worthy even on the team. Heck, Wilkes was arguably as talented as Worthy.

Magic avg: 19.5 pts shooting .533%, 7.2 rbs, 11.2 ast, and about 2 steals a game.
So Magic scored, on average, right at twenty for his career while being integral in another twenty two or so points a game as a facilitator while collecting more rbs, as a point guard, than Worthy. :plain:

Kareem: 24.6 pts, shooting .559%, 11.2 rbs, 3.6 ast, and about 1 stl a game, nearly 3 blks a game.
Linchpin. Great numbers over a long career. Backbone of the franchise for a long, long time.

Worthy: 17.6 pts, shooting .532%, 5.1 rbs, 3 ast, 1 stl. Just not on equal footing with the big two.
Wilkes: 18.4 pts, shooting .516%, 5.4 rbs, 2.6 ast, 1.2 stl. in his seven years as a Laker.

He doesn't deserve to be put on the same level as Magic or Kareem. Neither does Worthy. He's a lot like Horry.

Love had 2 different seasons. He couldn't score against GS because...he is slow, white, and has no moves.
I think he just isn't comfortable in his role. He's had some great games against great defenses, but he wasn't in the position and didn't have the same sort of pressure. His talent is there, but I think his head is suspect. Not everyone is built for the role he ended up with...though I think if they got Whiteside it would actually help him.

Last edited: