NBA 2015-16

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm leaning to this one going seven.

I would not have thought this after games 1, 2, 3, and 4. I'm sure our resident stat man will chime in, so what I read some time ago (2 decades?) is that the team that wins game 5 in a series wins 75% of the time. That is really high. They only need 1 of 3 and were good enough to win 3 of the first 5. To say I was surprised is correct. Leave it to Cleveland (naturally) to throw in that monkey wrench.

I was looking for some data about it and found a few things.

To demonstrate this, I pulled more details from all playoff series that were tied 2-2 going back to 2003. Of the 57 series, 50 of them (or 87.7%) were won by the winner of Game 5. However, this becomes less impressive if you consider that the team with home court advantage won out 77.2% of the time. Going from a 77.2% chance of winning the series before Game 5 to an 87% chance of winning the series after Game 5 doesn’t seem quite as dramatic.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Take heart, Berean. Jack, my little genius, called this...and he said Golden State in seven. He was right about the seven. We'll see about the rest. Are they hungry or fragile? That's the story of game seven. They'd better not disappoint my son, even if I wouldn't mind it.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Leave it to Cleveland (naturally) to throw in that monkey wrench.

Don't know if you saw ESPN's 30 on 30 "Believeland", but it's about the sports curse in Cleveland since 1964.

Of all the agony Cleveland sports fans have been through during those 52 years, the loss to the Florida Marlins in Game 7 of the World Series, after leading 2-1 going into the bottom of the 9th, was what they said was the hardest. Not "the drive", "the fumble", "the shot", "the move", "the decision", or "Red Right 88".

Sunday could change that, if the Cav's are leading late in the 4th quarter, but blow it, or lose at the buzzer.

Because it's Cleveland, I predict Game 7 will be another chapter of misery for Cleveland sports fans, and possibly even a knew catch phrase.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
This is the 33rd time a team took a 3-1 series lead. And for only the third time there will be a game 7. :madmad:

In the history of NBA playoffs and Finals, only 10 teams have come back from a 1-3 deficit, including this years Warriors against OKC. Last years Rockets did it against the Clippers. Prior to that was 2006.

However, it has never happened in the Finals, only in the playoffs.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
From 1905 to 2015, for all NBA, NHL, and MLB 7 game series, the home team's record in a Game 7 is: 370-68

In the NBA, home teams are 15-3 all time for Game 7's of the Finals. The last team to win a Game 7 on the road in the NBA Finals was the 1978 Washington Bullets.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Teams that have won Game 7 Championships on the road:

NBA:

1978 Bullets
1974 Celtics
1969 Celtics

MLB:

2014 Giants
1979 Pirates
1975 Reds
1972 A's
1971 Pirates
1968 Tigers
1967 Cardinals
1965 Dodgers
1955 Dodgers

NHL:

2009 Penguins
1971 Canadians

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Teams that have won Championships after being down 1-3

NBA:

None

MLB:

1979 Pirates
1968 Tigers
1958 Yankees
1925 Pirates

NHL

1942 Toronto (they were down 0-3)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Curry's wife is complaining, like he did at the end, that the game is fixed. The players are not throwing it, but bad calls effect the games. She is right. It isn't as bad as when Jordan played, but it is the worst it has been in a long time.

I believe the NFL is straight, and NCAA football is not.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Cavs will totally dominate game 7 and win by 15

So you don't know Cleveland sports history. I think GS is a better basketball team. They have more players with basketball skills. Pushing somebody out of the way and dunking is not a skill (Shaq). I don't dislike Cleveland, but I do admire what Curry and GS have done for the league. I enjoy watching them.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I really hope James is denied the title.
Being a KJVO, you'd think I would be a bigger fan of his.

That's because you're from a white hick town in North Carolina (Mayberry) that hates black people.

If James was white, you would love him more than you loved Larry Bird.

:chuckle:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
However, if Cleveland wins....GO THERE !!!!

Go there for a week !!!!

It will be bigger than Octoberfest, Carnival, and Mardi Gras combined.