My convictions of my faith in Christ.

God's Truth

Thanks again

Yes.... but some Christians still love to quote the Old Covenant Laws when it suits them. :)

I'll try. Real instances are much better, but let's take a pretend incident.
...ok.... suppose a Christian might be ranting in hatred about a man who lives nearby who dressses as a woman, a transvestite. Don't worry about what you think about that, this is a pretend situation!...... another Christian tries to support the transvestite's wishes, but the 1st Christian quotes the bible! Because the 1st Christian cannot find a suitable verse in the NT they plump for the OT, and so quote Deuteronomy 22:5! So the second Christian quotes the verse before that Deuteronomy 22:4 and insists that in future the 1st Christian will always be prepared to help their neighbours load their trucks, cars and lorries! The 1st Christian refuses, explaing that he only obeys the NT laws! L:) It can be very funny, sometimes! :)
Thanks, I see what you mean now. I would definitely use scripture from the New Testament to prove it is wrong, but I might also use Old Testament too. But, I do see what you mean.

There are some Christians who only accept some of the NT,but, yes, I might quote NT law to Christians. But I would quote Kitab I'Aqdas to a Bahai, or the Koran to a Muslim, etc.... :)
It sounds like you are well studied in many different religions.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hi...
I didn't miss your point, Jamie....
You feel that Jesus agreeing to a mass killing that it is ok to go killing,say, ISIS.
You feel that Jesus doesn't promote peace.
Well, that's just about what you wrote, above.

That's a problem with some Muslims, imo, they feel that Muhammad supports killing.

So some Christian Creeds and some Islam Creeds support killing. Yes?
If that's what you believe, then that's what you believe.

But if Jesus made such commands back then, he also made the 613, and Christians who clutch at the bits they need for reassurance or righteousness, whilst dumping the bits that they can't be bothered with..... oh dear. :)

Why did Jesus promote non-violence when he was flesh and blood?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
But if Jesus made such commands back then, he also made the 613, and Christians who clutch at the bits they need for reassurance or righteousness, whilst dumping the bits that they can't be bothered with..... oh dear. :)

Jesus was born under, lived under, and taught the Law of Moses. He did so without violating the law's precepts which he expanded on.

But when he died the Father gave him a new life so he could govern the world. The Father is calling people who will work with him.

We don't live under the same law that Jesus lived under. Neither do those who claim to be Jews.

marhig

Romans 13:4 For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

Paul is speaking to believers. Paul is telling believers that if they do wrong, then it is right for them to be put to death by our government.

Romans 13:6 This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing.

Here also is Peter telling you the same thing.

1 Peter 2:14
or to governors, who are sent by him topunish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right

Hi GT i was talking about this in another thread, in the KJV it is written Romans 13:6 that they are ministers of God

Romans 13:6

For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.

In earlier verses it says that the ministers of God do not bare the sword in vain, they are talking about the sword of the spirit.

And I think the verse you quoted in 2 Peter 2 needs to be read with the other verses too.

God's Truth

Hi GT i was talking about this in another thread, in the KJV it is written Romans 13:6 that they are ministers of God
Hi Marhig, I will gladly use the KJV to discuss these scriptures.

Romans 13:6

For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.

In earlier verses it says that the ministers of God do not bare the sword in vain, they are talking about the sword of the spirit.

It is about harming the wrong doer.

And I think the verse you quoted in 2 Peter 2 needs to be read with the other verses too.

1 Peter 2:14 Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well.

That scripture is also about being punished for doing wrong.

I am not sure how you get from that translation that it is not about those who govern and rule over us in this world.

When John the baptizer was baptizing, he baptized some soldiers. The soldiers asked John what they should do. John did not tell them to stop being soldiers. He told them to not extort money, and do not accuse people falsely. This shows us that it is not wrong to be a soldier, and to defend oneself, one’s city, and one’s country.

Luke 3:14 Then some soldiers asked him, "And what should we do?" He replied, "Don't extort money and don't accuse people falsely--be content with your pay."

Read these scriptures:

Matthew 8:8 The centurion replied, “Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed. 9 For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and that one, ‘Come,’ and he comes. I say to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.”
10 When Jesus heard this, he was amazed and said to those following him, “Truly I tell you, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith. 11 I say to you that many will come from the east and the west, and will take their places at the feast with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven. 12 But the subjects of the kingdom will be thrown outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”
13 Then Jesus said to the centurion, “Go! Let it be done just as you believed it would.” And his servant was healed at that moment.

Jesus did not tell the centurion to stop having soldiers.

marhig

Hi Marhig, I will gladly use the KJV to discuss these scriptures.

It is about harming the wrong doer.

1 Peter 2:14 Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well.

That scripture is also about being punished for doing wrong.

I am not sure how you get from that translation that it is not about those who govern and rule over us in this world.

When John the baptizer was baptizing, he baptized some soldiers. The soldiers asked John what they should do. John did not tell them to stop being soldiers. He told them to not extort money, and do not accuse people falsely. This shows us that it is not wrong to be a soldier, and to defend oneself, one’s city, and one’s country.

Luke 3:14 Then some soldiers asked him, "And what should we do?" He replied, "Don't extort money and don't accuse people falsely--be content with your pay."

Read these scriptures:

Matthew 8:8 The centurion replied, “Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed. 9 For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and that one, ‘Come,’ and he comes. I say to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.”
10 When Jesus heard this, he was amazed and said to those following him, “Truly I tell you, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith. 11 I say to you that many will come from the east and the west, and will take their places at the feast with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven. 12 But the subjects of the kingdom will be thrown outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”
13 Then Jesus said to the centurion, “Go! Let it be done just as you believed it would.” And his servant was healed at that moment.

Jesus did not tell the centurion to stop having soldiers.
You have forgotten something the John said to the soldiers, he said do violence to no man. The world will punish by there laws. But I believe that those born of God shouldn't use violence. We are to speak the truth and by the word of God we judge others and leave the final judgement in God's capable hands.

God's Truth

You have forgotten something the John said to the soldiers, he said do violence to no man. The world will punish by there laws. But I believe that those born of God shouldn't use violence. We are to speak the truth and by the word of God we judge others and leave the final judgement in God's capable hands.

I have not forgotten anything that John says. There is no such thing as a soldier not ever using force, evenly deadly force when needed.
Not everyone is a Christian, and a soldier being a Christian is better than a soldier not being a Christian.

marhig

I have not forgotten anything that John says. There is no such thing as a soldier not ever using force, evenly deadly force when needed.
Not everyone is a Christian, and a soldier being a Christian is better than a soldier not being a Christian.
Luke 3

And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages.

It is better for a Christian to abstain from violence and bring God's word and love to others.

God's Truth

Luke 3

And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages.

It is better for a Christian to abstain from violence and bring God's word and love to others.

Again, the soldiers were not told to stop being a soldier. They were told to be content with their pay.

It is about being a bad soldier who is corrupt, and a righteous soldier.

Let us reason together.

If you are living in a country without military, then you are a nation at risk to be overtaken by those who will not let you be a Christian.

If you are living in a country that cannot use guns and kill, then tell me how you will get your kidnapped child or grandchild back safely?

marhig

Again, the soldiers were not told to stop being a soldier. They were told to be content with their pay.

It is about being a bad soldier who is corrupt, and a righteous soldier.

Let us reason together.

If you are living in a country without military, then you are a nation at risk to be overtaken by those who will not let you be a Christian.

If you are living in a country that cannot use guns and kill, then tell me how you will get your kidnapped child or grandchild back safely?
But they were told not to use violence. And I believe that those who belong to God are to do the same.

God's Truth

But they were told not to use violence. And I believe that those who belong to God are to do the same.

They can chain people up in dungeons, but they cannot use violence.

Think about it some more.

John said do not ACCUSE falsely and do NOT EXTORT money. That is about using violence to do things that are sinful. That is not about defending what is right and protecting society.

You also are not addressing how Jesus healed a soldier and said the leader of soldiers that he had greater faith than all in Israel.

marhig

They can chain people up in dungeons, but they cannot use violence.

Think about it some more.

John said do not ACCUSE falsely and do NOT EXTORT money. That is about using violence to do things that are sinful. That is not about defending what is right and protecting society.

You also are not addressing how Jesus healed a soldier and said the leader of soldiers that he had greater faith than all in Israel.
I have nothing against soldiers, I just believe the those who belong to God are not to use violence. We are to bring his word and love to others.

We are to do God's will, and the world will take care of itself

marhig

Does God's will include protecting your family?
I've said this before, if someone came into my home and attacked my children I would defend them. But I wouldn't join anything where I am trained to use violence and taught to kill. I don't believe that this is right before God. Jesus didn't teach us to do this, he taught us that we are to show love, mercy, kindness and forgiveness and bring God's word to others and love one another.

God's Truth

I have nothing against soldiers, I just believe the those who belong to God are not to use violence. We are to bring his word and love to others.

We are to do God's will, and the world will take care of itself

The world taking care of itself needs strong soldiers who are not criminally inclined.

marhig

The world taking care of itself needs strong soldiers who are not criminally inclined.
Jesus said if someone strikes us on our cheek, we are to turn the other also.

I just don't believe that it's right for God's people to use violence, we are to save lives through Christ, not take them.

We'll have to agree to disagree.