Moon Landing Hoax

Daniel1611

Its an accurate representation of the contents and oceans.

Both poles have been overflown, how come nobody has seen the edge of a flat disk when flying over the south pole? If I fly in a straight line, can I fly off the edge of the disk? If not, why not?

No independent person or team has flown across Antarctica, and anyone who goes at all must use government approved paths. Captain Cook claimed to have tried to sail around Antarctica, logged something like 60,000 miles and found nothing but a wall of ice. This would make sense if it is 360 degrees of ice. A few others have made similar claims, but I can't recall off hand. I'll have to check.

As to whether or not you could fly off, that's hard to say without trying. It could be that after the ice wall you could fly off. Or the ice wall may be extremely long or infinite. Or there could be more habitable land on the other side. Or the whole system could be enclosed by some sort of natural dome or firmament. It's probably impossible to say without actually going and looking for yourself.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Does it matter whether the Earth stopped or the sun stopped? Not at all.
If you took my careful response to imply that it does not matter you have misread me. I made it plain that the historical account declares the sun stood still. To deny this is to deny the verbal plenary inspiration of the Bible, as I have asserted carefully in my post. You want to substitute "earth" for "sun" in the passage. This is imposing allegory without warrant on the passage in question. Concede, please, for the Scripture is plain on the matter.

Your "harmonization" is bowing to man's science and imposing that upon Scripture. Hence, man's science becomes the regual fidei, and not Holy Writ. As I have noted at length, Scripture's view of the earth is geocentric. This cannot be denied. The verbal plenary inspiration of the Bible declares that the penmen were kept from error in what they wrote.

I am fairly well versed in the scientific method. I also assume I have a fairly firm grasp about the various discovered laws of nature. Indeed, they are reliable, and at times elegant. As I understand it from your past posts, we both possess advanced engineering degrees. We took many of the same classes and understand the mathematics and physics of the same.

But they are only summaries of observations. They don't actually identify what is going on—the ultimate reality that is only described in Scripture. Because God created his universe to be orderly, these observations do well at predicting positions of heavenly bodies. Indeed, I wouldn't gainsay that for a minute. Astrophysics is wonderful.

But do we really know what gravity is? Do we really know what happens when we observe momentum? No, we take it as a given. We observe objects move a certain way, and we come up with formulas (that is why we say things like let G=the force of attraction between body A and body B).

But that force is just a way of saying that under such and such circumstances, body A tends to move toward body B. We could just as easily say that God is pushing them together by his Word, and He always does this when we look at such things—and our laws of nature could not disprove this statement at all.

Because, at its most basic level, science starts out with a few suppositions and goals:

Suppostion: the universe is orderly. (We have no actual proof of this, other than Scripture. Science only has empirical observations that seem to confirm it.)

Supposition: in a given model, repeated consistent observations increase the likelihood that our model is reliable for (for what?) for making future predictions. Nothing more. The model does not say what is really happening.

Initial goal of science: to leave out the supernatural, not to address it. (Which of course, means that it has nothing to say about it).

Primary goal of science: to systematize observations to allow for predictive observations. Again, nothing more. Science allows for predictions, but does not do anything but describe what is observed.

So, if I'm going to launch a satellite for the purpose of relaying communications, certainly I would use the natural laws because they are pretty reliable predictors of physical behavior.

But if you were to ask me what keeps that satellite up in space, I'd respond: it is the hand of God, maintaining his universe according to his decree.

And I'd say, as I have noted in my responses, that Scripture definitely speaks about a geocentric universe. It does not address astrophysics in detail, but it does tell us God's focus: In the beginning God created heaven and Earth.

Two basic things. Heaven and Earth. After that, almost all the focus of Scripture is on Earth and, even more to the point, on Man. I take it that divine revelation tells us that God's focus is uniquely on this speck some call "geo."

The exegetical level is where the discussion must focus. Given that man has dominion over the earth all manner of scientific theories may be put forth and be wonderfully functional. That is not the issue at hand. The issue is what does God describe in the historical account of His miracles. Let's not impose scientific theories upon Holy Writ without warrant.

AMR

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
If you took my careful response to imply that it does not matter you have misread me. I made it plain that the historical account declares the sun stood still. To deny this is to deny the verbal plenary inspiration of the Bible, as I have asserted carefully in my post. You want to substitute "earth" for "sun" in the passage. This is imposing allegory without warrant on the passage in question. Concede, please, for the Scripture is plain on the matter.

AMR
Sorry, but I don't agree. The scripture is ambiguous on whether the sun stopped or the Earth stopped. Either scenario results in the same effect so its impossible to tell the difference with out additional information.

But if you were to ask me what keeps that satellite up in space, I'd respond: it is the hand of God, maintaining his universe according to his decree.
I would say orbital mechanics that are governed by the physical laws that God created for His Universe. This is a revealing peak at how a difference in theology (closed view vs. open view) has implications for the sciences. Very interesting.

zoo22

Great thread. Moon landing hoax AND flat earth. Awesome. It's like the best layer cake ever. Nice to see the ever-astute "it looks flat to me!" approach. And the "well, if the earth is moving, then how come I can't feel myself moving?!" question is really food for thought.

It's maybe even better than one of Stripe's "the earth is 6000 years old I'm a scientist!" threads. What with the extra level of moon landing government conspiracy. Kind of like combining a Stipe 6000 year old earth thread with a Nazaroo "FEMA death camp false flag!!" thread. Magic.

Anyway. I'm really looking forward to finding out more as the layers of deception are slowly peeled away...

Keep those free thoughts flowing! Stay hungry for knowledge! Educate the sheeple!

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
No independent person or team has flown across Antarctica, and anyone who goes at all must use government approved paths. Captain Cook claimed to have tried to sail around Antarctica, logged something like 60,000 miles and found nothing but a wall of ice. This would make sense if it is 360 degrees of ice. A few others have made similar claims, but I can't recall off hand. I'll have to check.
360° is ambiguous as it is the same measure whether you go around the inside of a disk or the out side.

Another problem that you need to explain is how the south pole experiences constant day or constant night for a portion of the year. Same with the north pole.

As to whether or not you could fly off, that's hard to say without trying. It could be that after the ice wall you could fly off. Or the ice wall may be extremely long or infinite. Or there could be more habitable land on the other side. Or the whole system could be enclosed by some sort of natural dome or firmament. It's probably impossible to say without actually going and looking for yourself.
You wouldn't believe them because all they would bring back are pictures, pictures that would look remarkably like the pictures of Earth taken from space.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
some-ideas-will-change-the-way-you-see-the-world-15-photos-10.jpg

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Sorry, but I don't agree. The scripture is ambiguous on whether the sun stopped or the Earth stopped. Either scenario results in the same effect so its impossible to tell the difference with out additional information.
Perhaps your notion of ambiguity is different from that of perspicuous Scripture on this historical account:

Joshua 10:

12 Then spake Joshua to the Lord in the day when the Lord delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon.

13 And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day.

14 And there was no day like that before it or after it, that the Lord hearkened unto the voice of a man: for the Lord fought for Israel.

The facts are that there is no shift between (1)Joshua's prayer, (2) God's answer to the prayer, and (3) the inspired narrator's statement of fact. From each and every perspective, the sun stood still. At no place in the narrative or the full counsel of Scripture appear markers that would support allegorization of the text. In a fight between the text and the interpreter the text wins every time and those that oppose the text must concede.

If you ascribe the differences in opinion to open theism vs. orthodox Christianity, perhaps you are a wee bit too "open". ;)

AMR

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I was hoping for AMR to give us his verdict on the moon landing hoax.
No hoax there. It happened.

To claim a hoax was afoot is to ignore man's insatiable desire to uncover scandal. The degree of secrecy required to perpetuate such a hoax is quite beyond our itching ears and argues for such a degree of "integrity" on the part of its secret keepers that is literally self-refuting. Think about it, and it will come to you. :AMR:

AMR

Nimrod

No hoax there. It happened.

To claim a hoax was afoot is to ignore man's insatiable desire to uncover scandal. The degree of secrecy required to perpetuate such a hoax is quite beyond our itching ears and argues for such a degree of "integrity" on the part of its secret keepers that is literally self-refuting. Think about it, and it will come to you. :AMR:

AMR

It just proves you are not right on everything. :cigar:

I found the Moon hoax easy to unravel.

Do you think planes crashed into WTCs on 9-11?

Nimrod

Q: Why do prominent astronomers like Sir Bernard Lovell and Patrick Moore support the Moon landings if they were faked?

A: Scientists and astronomers around the globe know full well that the Moon missions were faked, but relay on NASA to gain access to the vital data beamed back to Earth from the Hubble space telescope. They cannot slag off NASA otherwise NASA would deprive them of this essential information, which they so much require.

Interesting.....

I wonder what would happen if you worked on the Pluto mission and told your boss that the moon landing was a hoax. hhhmmmmmmm.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
It just proves you are not right on everything. :cigar:

I found the Moon hoax easy to unravel.

Do you think planes crashed into WTCs on 9-11?

Indisputable fact: airplanes were deliberatly flown into the towers.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Perhaps your notion of ambiguity is different from that of perspicuous Scripture on this historical account:

Joshua 10:

12 Then spake Joshua to the Lord in the day when the Lord delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon.

13 And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day.

14 And there was no day like that before it or after it, that the Lord hearkened unto the voice of a man: for the Lord fought for Israel.

The facts are that there is no shift between (1)Joshua's prayer, (2) God's answer to the prayer, and (3) the inspired narrator's statement of fact. From each and every perspective, the sun stood still. At no place in the narrative or the full counsel of Scripture appear markers that would support allegorization of the text. In a fight between the text and the interpreter the text wins every time and those that oppose the text must concede.

If you ascribe the differences in opinion to open theism vs. orthodox Christianity, perhaps you are a wee bit too "open". ;)

AMR

A person with no knowledge of astrophysics such as the people during the time this account was recorded would see that the sun stopped moving. They would have no way to know whether the sun stopped or the Earth stopped. We watch the sun move across the sky each day and it appears that it is the sun that is moving when in fact, it is not. We only know this because people got curious. They wondered why Mars had such a strange orbit. How come nobody wants to deal with Mars's orbit in the geocentric system on this thread?

In any case, the sun appeared to stop. Whether the sun stopped or the Earth stopped, the miracle is no less.

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A person with no knowledge of astrophysics such as the people during the time this account was recorded would see that the sun stopped moving. They would have no way to know whether the sun stopped or the Earth stopped.

Please review my previous post as relates to the view that the passage is an accommodation to man by God and the terrible ramifications of such an assumption.

AMR

Tyrathca

Soooo just catch up on the fun, not only is the earth flat but it is a disk with the north pole at the centre and the edge some distance into the Antarctic.... And we might be able to fly off the edge but for some reason no one has tried... And no one has noticed that the southern hemisphere is way larger than the north (basic geometry)

And there is a global super conspiracy keeping the truth hidden because... Why? (fun?)

Oh and gravity is also part of the conspiracy (intelligent falling, seek the truth!)

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Science tells us no. Just like Science tells us the moon landing is another hoax.
I don't know where you get your science from. The airliner wreckage in the debris fields would prove that airliners were involved.

Now, as to petrified wood on the moon: Here is the rest of the story.

The "rock" had originally been been vetted through a phone call to NASA. The US agency gave moon rocks to more than 100 countries following lunar missions in the 1970s. A genuine moon rock was given to Holland and kept in Mr Drees's own personal collection. When Mr Drees died in 1988 after loosing his sight, officials handling his estate came across a rock and a card from NASA with the Apollo 11 astronauts names on it. These legal officials were not geologists and simply assumed the sample was the moon rock in question and was put on display. No geologists were employed at the Art Museum either. Four years passed when a geologist visitor recognised the rock as Petrified wood.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Please review my previous post as relates to the view that the passage is an accommodation to man by God and the terrible ramifications of such an assumption.

AMR
I have looked at what you posted and I don't agree with you. Science and God are opposite sides of the same coin. We can not read the OT while assuming they had the same understanding of science as we to do today. TO do so is ludicrous. We must understand how ancient people would have viewed and event and then understand their observations against what we know today. Your view requires a cognitive dissonance that I don't believe God ever intended. God created the physical laws that govern how the universe operates. Being created in His image, we can learn to understand those laws and use them for our benefit. There is nothing wrong with coming to understand a passage of scripture a little better by applying what we know today to what is recorded in scripture. Whether the sun stopped or the Earth stopped, God's accommodation is the same.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Earth can be flat and round, like a disc.

The earth appears as a disc on photographs taken from space regardless of the vantage point, and the only geometric solid which looks like a circle from any direction is a sphere.

-- http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae535.cfm

The other planets may not be terraformed earth like planets. They're lights in the sky as far as we can tell with the telescopes we can buy. Maybe they're just similar to stars.

If the other planets are flat (as Eric Doobie says they are), then why do we never see them edge-on? Instead they always appear spherical with curved shadows as we would expect to find only on globe-shaped objects. What's up with that?

If the planet Mars is flat, why do we see it rotating with no edge?

Why would the earth be flat while every other planet, moon, star, etc is spherical?

Every object in the observable universe over a few hundred miles in diameter is at least roughly spherical in shape due to its own gravitational force. Why would the earth be any different?

Last edited: