Modern Day Pharisaism

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
This article is not intended to cause discourse even though it will.

Having been a Pharisee at one time in my Christian life I am more than qualified to write about it.

a Pharisee has little to no knowledge of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, nor do they want to know the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Their main preoccupation is with the law and what they can do to please a holy God, as though that were possible. The Pharisees in Jesus's day were champions of religion. Some even tithed down to the mint in their gardens, Matthew 23:23. It was all about the law and pleasing God by doing or keeping the law.

When the modern day Pharisee is told that "The Just Shall Live By Faith" they believe that means faith in the law or faith in their ability to please God. It is unconceiveable to the modern day Pharisee that living by faith means to live by faith in Christ and his Gospel apart from the works of the law and religion.

Paul said to the Pharisees, "For they being ignorant of God's righteousness and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves into the righteousness of God" Romans 10:3. There you have it in one scripture. The true Christian will readily confess that he has no righteousness of his own because he is a sinner. His righteousness is in heaven at the right hand of God. Paul understood this principal when he referred to himself as "The Chief of Sinners" 1 Timothy 1:15. If Paul taught holiness or obedience it was for the sake of the Gospel. One cannot be a good witness for Christ and his Gospel if they are not living a holy life.

The modern day Pharisee does not care to hear that they have been reconciled to God by Jesus Christ, 2 Corinthians 5:18, 19. They want to know what they can do to reconcile themselves to God by their own works and obedience to the law. To say that the modern day Pharisee is anti-Gospel may be an understatement. There is no room in their religion for the Gospel that justifies the ungodly, Romans 4:5 and reconciles the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:19.

When told that all one has to do to be saved is to believe and have faith in Jesus, they will promptly refer you to the book of James where it says "Faith without works is dead". Which of course is true. All that have been indwelt with the Holy Spirit will do good works, but this does not justify the Christian, nor should the Christian trust in his good works for acceptance with God. To say that good works and obedience justifies, is to say that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is worthless. What it comes down to is what are you trusting in? Are you trusting in what you are and in what you have become, or are you trusting in what Christ has done to save you?

Basically, a good post. However, I would add a caveat. The book of James was written to the Scattered tribes of Israel, not to the Gentile believers.

Robert Pate

Banned
Qualify the underlined/bold for me please. How does one become a Pharisee? The Pharisees were an ancient sect. Do you mean this as a figure of speech or literally?

And the Pharisee's as well as the those following Jewish orthodoxy don't believe in Jesus Christ. So it stands to reason they are ignorant of him and his teachings. Whats more concerning to me is the utter vitriolic contempt that's taught by some Rabbis from the Babylonian and and Jewish Talmud -essential a book of Jewish philosophy that's not divinely inspired- of Jesus. I'm not even going to repeat the things written about Jesus in it they're that bad. But the Pharisee's preoccupation with pernicketing over the law and the way they thoroughly trivialized it with their false piety shows how little they cared about spiritual matters much less worshiping in the spirit of the law. The purpose and point of the law was completely lost on them.

A Pharisee is one that is trying to be justified by the works of the law (what they do).

Paul makes it clear they we are justified by faith in Christ apart from the works of the law, Romans 4:5.

I would say that the most obvious Pharisees today are Catholics.

Cruciform

A Pharisee is one that is trying to be justified by the works of the law (what they do).
Here's your fatal flaw once again. NOTE: Not every type of "work" (deed, act of mercy or obedience) qualifies as a "work of the law," as you wrongly assume. This is made clear by the apostles themselves, Paul in particular, the same apostle who warned against trying to be saved through performing "works of the law." For example, consider Pauline statements like those in Romans 2:6-11; 1 Corinthians 9:23-27; 15:10; Galatians 5:6-7; and Philippians 2:12-13. In addition, throw in Hebrews 5:9 for good measure; there are other passages that could be mentioned as well. If your assumption---"any and all deeds" = "works of the law"---were true, Paul could never have written any of the above statements without directly contradicting himself. Therefore, the contradiction must be yours.

(Note now that even though Pate has been utterly refuted by St. Paul himself regarding Paul's own phrase "works of the law," he (Pate) will simply continue to make the very same claim in countless subsequent posts here on TOL. (Pate apparently knows more about Paul's own statements than Paul does, after all.) Truth, for Pate, simply doesn't matter when compared with the traditions of men that he's been fed by his preferred recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect. His lack of intellectual integrity is thus glaringly evident and publicly noted.)

Paul makes it clear they we are justified by faith in Christ apart from the works of the law, Romans 4:5.

Amen, all Catholics wholeheartedly agree that "works of the law" (that is, the Mosaic Law Code) will save no one. However, then there are the deeds of mercy and obedience (also called "works") that Paul talks about in the biblical texts cited above. One's interpretations and theology must account for BOTH sets of texts. Pate's theology plainly fails to do so (see above).

I would say that the most obvious Pharisees today are Catholics.
Given the above, it's more than clear that your doctrine of soteriology is fatally flawed and hopelessly erroneous, as are your sectarian opinions about the Catholic Church and her teachings.

End of thread.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Robert Pate

Banned
Catholicism is a religion of works.

They try to hide this by saying that it is the grace of Jesus working in them that cause the works.

I say HOGWASH.

Paul clearly teaches that "The Just Shall Live By Faith" and not by rules, laws or religion.

If they don't do their religion, they don't feel that they are saved, which tells me that they are trusting in their religion to save them.

Catholics will be in the Lord, Lord, didn't we, group. What the Catholic church is to the Catholic, Jesus Christ is to the Gospel believing Christian.

radind

Mt 15 8 “’This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me; 9 in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’” ESV

Cruciform

Mt 15 8 “’This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me; 9 in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’” ESV
Amen. For example, the myriad recently-invented, man-made sects of Protestantism teach as doctrines such "commandments of men" as sola scriptura, "believers-only" baptism, anti-sacramentalism (anti-Incarnationalism), sola fide, a truncated and incomplete biblical canon, Restoration Theology, Primitivism, "once-saved-always-saved, etc., etc., etc.

radind

Amen. For example, the myriad recently-invented, man-made sects of Protestantism teach as doctrines such "commandments of men" as sola scriptura, "believers-only" baptism, anti-sacramentalism (anti-Incarnationalism), sola fide, a truncated and incomplete biblical canon, Restoration Theology, Primitivism, "once-saved-always-saved, etc., etc., etc.

I think that the Bible provides sufficient guidance and it appears to me that the Catholic Church adds things ('man-made')not included in the Bible

Cruciform

I think that the Bible provides sufficient guidance...
Your assumption is radically contradicted by the phenomenon of Protestantism itself: tens-of-thousands of competing and contradictory self-defined man-made sects and denominations all separated from one another not only by trivial matters, but by essential and defining doctrines of the faith. A hopeless chaos of interpretive subjectivism and doctrinal innovation.

...and it appears to me that the Catholic Church adds things ('man-made')not included in the Bible
Provide an example, please.

radind

Your assumption is radically contradicted by the phenomenon of Protestantism itself: tens-of-thousands of competing and contradictory self-defined man-made sects and denominations all separated from one another not only by trivial matters, but by essential and defining doctrines of the faith. A hopeless chaos of interpretive subjectivism and doctrinal innovation.

Provide an example, please.

The Pope

Cruciform

radind

This is an example of a "man-made addition by the Catholic Church which is not included in the Bible"? My reply is simply to offer the following sources:

Is there another example you can offer?

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

A lot of information, but I remain unconvinced by your assertions.
In my opinion, the Bible is sufficient:
2 Timothy 3:15–17

radind

One more( final). I do not think that confession to 'Priests' is required by the Bible. I believe that Jesus is our High Priest and that each Christian has access to Jesus and the Holy Spirit without going through a man-made layer.
Hebrews 7:22–28

Cruciform

A lot of information, but I remain unconvinced by your assertions.
....just as you have been conditioned to be by your chosen recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect. No surprise there.

In my opinion, the Bible is sufficient: 2 Timothy 3:15–17
Of course, your proof-text here says nothing whatsoever about the Bible being "sufficient" (you've merely read it into the text), but only about the Scriptures being "useful"---hardly the same thing, is it. See THIS and THIS.

If you have a genuine interest in understanding this point, I recommend THIS, THIS, and THIS as well. You might want to make copies of these articles to study at your leisure. May God bless you as you seek the truth.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

radind

No thank you.
We clearly have a different interpretation of the Bible and could continue discussion endlessly. I don't see the utility of this. I deny being in a 'sect' and the term 'proof text' is yours, not mine.

We should all endeavor to constantly seek the truth with humility and to communicate with others in love.

Cruciform

One more( final). I do not think that confession to 'Priests' is required by the Bible.
And yet the Bible's own teaching indicates otherwise, as well as the consistent teaching and practice of the early Christian Church.

I believe that Jesus is our High Priest and that each Christian has access to Jesus and the Holy Spirit without going through a man-made layer.
Except that the Catholic Church was founded not by mere men, but by Jesus Christ himself in 33 A.D. Indeed, it is the only claimant to the label of "the Church" which was NOT ultimately man-made [SOURCE].

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Pharisaism is Pops McHoliest up in the Vatican, founded in 1054 AD when it was decided that he was the unblemished surrogate of Christ and anyone who had a problem with it should die.

Just like how the Pharisee came to corrupt Moses' seat, so to did the Roman Church to Peter's.

radind

And yet the Bible's own teaching indicates otherwise, as well as the consistent teaching and practice of the early Christian Church.

Except that the Catholic Church was founded not by mere men, but by Jesus Christ himself in 33 A.D. Indeed, it is the only claimant to the label of "the Church" which was NOT ultimately man-made [SOURCE].

I agree that Jesus Christ founded His Church in AD 33. However, I do not agree that this was 'the Catholic Church'.
I will continue the seek the truth to the best of my ability and expect that we will continue to disagree.

Cruciform

No thank you.
That's what I thought. So much for a genuine desire to understand on your part. Sadly, your disingenuousness is therefore noted.

We clearly have a different interpretation of the Bible...
Could not some of your personal interpretations of Scripture in fact be wrong, requiring a paradigm shift in your conception of the Christian faith?

I deny being in a 'sect'...
My point was that you have derived your present doctrinal ideas and beliefs from various non-Catholic sectarian sources, which of course you definitely have. (You certainly didn't derive them from Catholic sources, after all...)

...and the term 'proof text' is yours, not mine.
Actually, "proof-text"---a text intended to prove or support one's position---is a common term used in theological discourse and scholarship. It's a perfectly legitimate---not to mention accurate---word to use on a theological discussion forum.

We should all endeavor to constantly seek the truth with humility and to communicate with others in love.
Amen. It won't help us, however, to then proceed to "seek the truth" in a manner which is faulty and inadequate, and which will ultimately fail to bring us to any sort of doctrinal certainty or authority whatsoever. Yet this is simply the condition of all like yourself who remain mired in the clay of Protestant sectarianism, and who fail to make their way, by God's grace, to that one historic Catholic Church founded by Jesus Christ himself, and against which he declared that the gates of Hades would never---never---prevail (Mt. 16:18-19; cf. 1 Tim. 3:15).

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+