Modern Day Pharisaism

Robert Pate

Banned
This article is not intended to cause discourse even though it will.

Having been a Pharisee at one time in my Christian life I am more than qualified to write about it.

a Pharisee has little to no knowledge of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, nor do they want to know the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Their main preoccupation is with the law and what they can do to please a holy God, as though that were possible. The Pharisees in Jesus's day were champions of religion. Some even tithed down to the mint in their gardens, Matthew 23:23. It was all about the law and pleasing God by doing or keeping the law.

When the modern day Pharisee is told that "The Just Shall Live By Faith" they believe that means faith in the law or faith in their ability to please God. It is unconceiveable to the modern day Pharisee that living by faith means to live by faith in Christ and his Gospel apart from the works of the law and religion.

Paul said to the Pharisees, "For they being ignorant of God's righteousness and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves into the righteousness of God" Romans 10:3. There you have it in one scripture. The true Christian will readily confess that he has no righteousness of his own because he is a sinner. His righteousness is in heaven at the right hand of God. Paul understood this principal when he referred to himself as "The Chief of Sinners" 1 Timothy 1:15. If Paul taught holiness or obedience it was for the sake of the Gospel. One cannot be a good witness for Christ and his Gospel if they are not living a holy life.

The modern day Pharisee does not care to hear that they have been reconciled to God by Jesus Christ, 2 Corinthians 5:18, 19. They want to know what they can do to reconcile themselves to God by their own works and obedience to the law. To say that the modern day Pharisee is anti-Gospel may be an understatement. There is no room in their religion for the Gospel that justifies the ungodly, Romans 4:5 and reconciles the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:19.

When told that all one has to do to be saved is to believe and have faith in Jesus, they will promptly refer you to the book of James where it says "Faith without works is dead". Which of course is true. All that have been indwelt with the Holy Spirit will do good works, but this does not justify the Christian, nor should the Christian trust in his good works for acceptance with God. To say that good works and obedience justifies, is to say that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is worthless. What it comes down to is what are you trusting in? Are you trusting in what you are and in what you have become, or are you trusting in what Christ has done to save you?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect? (James 2:22)​

Noah was not saved by faith alone, it required sweat on his part.

beameup

There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. - Rom 8:1
That the righteousness of the LAW might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. - Rom 8:4
This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. - Gal 5:16
If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit Ruach HaQodesh . - Gal 5:25

It's a breeze

Last edited:

Robert Pate

Banned
It's a breeze

To walk and live by the Spirit is to walk and live by the Gospel.

In the Gospel we have been reconciled to God by Jesus Christ, 2 Corinthians 5:18, 19.

In the Gospel we are complete "In Christ" Colossians 2:10.

In the Gospel we sit in heavenly places "In Christ" Ephesians 2:6.

Ben Masada

Having been a Pharisee at one time in my Christian life I am more than qualified to write about it.

a Pharisee has little to no knowledge of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, nor do they want to know the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Their main preoccupation is with the law and what they can do to please a holy God, as though that were possible. The Pharisees in Jesus's day were champions of religion. Some even tithed down to the mint in their gardens, Matthew 23:23. It was all about the law and pleasing God by doing or keeping the law.

When the modern day Pharisee is told that "The Just Shall Live By Faith" they believe that means faith in the law or faith in their ability to please God. It is unconceiveable to the modern day Pharisee that living by faith means to live by faith in Christ and his Gospel apart from the works of the law and religion.

Paul said to the Pharisees, "For they being ignorant of God's righteousness and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves into the righteousness of God" Romans 10:3. There you have it in one scripture. The true Christian will readily confess that he has no righteousness of his own because he is a sinner. His righteousness is in heaven at the right hand of God. Paul understood this principal when he referred to himself as "The Chief of Sinners" 1 Timothy 1:15. If Paul taught holiness or obedience it was for the sake of the Gospel. One cannot be a good witness for Christ and his Gospel if they are not living a holy life.

The modern day Pharisee does not care to hear that they have been reconciled to God by Jesus Christ, 2 Corinthians 5:18, 19. They want to know what they can do to reconcile themselves to God by their own works and obedience to the law. To say that the modern day Pharisee is anti-Gospel may be an understatement. There is no room in their religion for the Gospel that justifies the ungodly, Romans 4:5 and reconciles the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:19.

When told that all one has to do to be saved is to believe and have faith in Jesus, they will promptly refer you to the book of James where it says "Faith without works is dead". Which of course is true. All that have been indwelt with the Holy Spirit will do good works, but this does not justify the Christian, nor should the Christian trust in his good works for acceptance with God. To say that good works and obedience justifies, is to say that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is worthless. What it comes down to is what are you trusting in? Are you trusting in what you are and in what you have become, or are you trusting in what Christ has done to save you?

All right Robert, if this article of yours above was not intended to cause discourse, why have you posted it in a discussion forum? That's indeed a very attractive theme especially for a Jew but, you said it is not for discussion and I don't want to be banned again for the hundredth of times.

Ben Masada

To walk and live by the Spirit is to walk and live by the Gospel.

In the Gospel we have been reconciled to God by Jesus Christ, 2 Corinthians 5:18, 19.

In the Gospel we are complete "In Christ" Colossians 2:10.

In the Gospel we sit in heavenly places "In Christ" Ephesians 2:6.

What gospel Robert, the gospel of Paul or the gospel of Jesus? The gospel of Jesus was according to the Law and the Prophets.(Mat. 5:17-19)In the gospel of Paul, we have been released from the Law. Therefore, we are no longer under a Law that does not exist. (Rom. 7:6) Serious difference between the Jew and the Christian, don't you think so?

SonOfCaleb

Qualify the underlined/bold for me please. How does one become a Pharisee? The Pharisees were an ancient sect. Do you mean this as a figure of speech or literally?

And the Pharisee's as well as the those following Jewish orthodoxy don't believe in Jesus Christ. So it stands to reason they are ignorant of him and his teachings. Whats more concerning to me is the utter vitriolic contempt that's taught by some Rabbis from the Babylonian and and Jewish Talmud -essential a book of Jewish philosophy that's not divinely inspired- of Jesus. I'm not even going to repeat the things written about Jesus in it they're that bad. But the Pharisee's preoccupation with pernicketing over the law and the way they thoroughly trivialized it with their false piety shows how little they cared about spiritual matters much less worshiping in the spirit of the law. The purpose and point of the law was completely lost on them.

Nameless.In.Grace

BANNED
Banned
All right Robert, if this article of yours above was not intended to cause discourse, why have you posted it in a discussion forum? That's indeed a very attractive theme especially for a Jew but, you said it is not for discussion and I don't want to be banned again for the hundredth of times.

Lol.... Ben, is there sarcasm in your words?

Sent from my iPad using TOL

Robert Pate

Banned
What the law was to the Pharisees, Jesus Christ was to the New Testament Church. (R. D. B.)

What the Catholic religion is to the Catholic, Jesus Christ is to the Christian. What Calvinism is to the Calvinist, Jesus Christ is to the Christian.

The 2nd commandment says... "Thou shalt have no other god's before me" Exodus 20:3.

The Jews said that the Torah was the way, the truth, and the life. John took what the Jews said about the Torah and applied it to Jesus, John 14:6. It appears to me that people are more in Love with their religion than they are with Jesus Christ.

Cruciform

Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect? (James 2:22)​

Noah was not saved by faith alone, it required sweat on his part.
Along the same lines, one should see, for example:
  • Romans 2:6-11
  • 1 Corinthians 15:10
  • Philippians 2:12-13
Also:

End of thread.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Robert Pate

Banned
Along the same lines, one should see, for example:
  • Romans 2:6-11
  • 1 Corinthians 15:10
  • Philippians 2:12-13
Also:

End of thread.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

The Pharisees would spend countless hours inspecting and disecting the law to see if they could find one more little thing in the law that would make them more holy.