MAGA Hats And The Easily-Triggered Left

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
another interesting wrinkle - i can't verify this, haven't seen it, but if true, it would appear that Phillips' entourage was encouraging the kids to react to him?

Nathan Phillips fostered tensions instead of calming them

For over a week, we have read charges that Nathan Phillips wanted to "diffuse tension" that he perceived in a noisy crowd. Indeed, he did diffuse (spread) rather than defuse (calm). Did he know a woman in his group was jumping and twirling like the cheering boys? Did he hear the Black Hebrew Israelites telling his film crew to go after "the hats"? Does it matter that the hats came from sidewalk vendors hours after the March for Life ended? There's misspeaking and there's freedom of speech; I know which I support.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/op...ause-cold-weather-isnt-compassion/2732964002/

ok doser

oh, i have the gear - i'm comfortable enough - just planning to get the car free in case i want (or need) to go out

and i can feel my toes again, so :wave2:

fool

Hall of Fame
oh, i have the gear - i'm comfortable enough - just planning to get the car free in case i want (or need) to go out

I didn't know the temperature display on my car did negative numbers, I'd never seen that other little dash and I thought the display was glitching from the cold. - 13 is what it said but it's a three digit display right next to another display so it looked like this =_ 13.

ok doser

:thumb:

Newspaper Apologizes, Agrees with Project 21’s Call for Mutual Respect

In a mea culpa of sorts for the widespread rush to judgement following recent events involving smirking students and drumming at the Lincoln Memorial, one newspaper looked to Project 21 to help bring reason back into fashion.

When the media and social justice warriors condemned Nick Sandmann and his classmates at Covington Catholic High School for their alleged intolerance before all the facts were clear, Project 21 called on people “to take more time and be more careful before making allegations that increase racial tension.”

It was a wise call.

When the full video of what happened was available, it showed that Sandmann and other Covington students were the target of taunts from radical Black Hebrew Israelites for over an hour before it got to the short but widely-publicized clip of Sandmann and Native American activist Nathan Phillips. And Phillips, portrayed as the target in early accounts, was shown to have singled out Sandmann – contradicting the suggestion that the students blocked his marching. There was also much that contradicted assertions by Phillips about the Covington kids’ behavior and facts he used to embellish his own reputation.

Obviously having remorse for all that happened, the Canton Repository (Ohio) wrote in a house editorial:

Too often, it seems, those clamoring the loudest for [tolerance] are the same people and groups least willing to extend it.

Over the past week, our collective ability to practice what we preach has come under scrutiny. And, yes, we are holding up a mirror to ourselves — the media in general — as well.

Many were guilty of a rush to judgment after viewing only snippets of the confluence of several groups Jan. 19 on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C. Reactions on social media became a tidal wave of hate — vile, bigoted, polarizing and, yes, intolerant to the extreme.

In making their own plea for people to act better in the future, the editors noted:

The Golden Rule? Shoved aside to our own detriment.

more: https://nationalcenter.org/project21/2019/02/01/newspaper-apologizes-agrees-with-project-21/

nice to see Phillips referred to as a "Native American activist" instead of "elder/vietnam vet"

Last edited:

ok doser

Cultural insensitivity

Native elders recount the history of the song Nathan Phillips sang, the AIM Song

As I watched the unfolding story of what happened at the end of the Indigenous Peoples March when Omaha elder Nathan Phillips used a song to potentially pacify interactions between Catholic high school students and Black Hebrew Israelites, I wondered about the history of the song Uncle Nate sang, the American Indian Movement song.

https://newsmaven.io/indiancountryt...ips-sang-the-aim-song-TDMbpXRrVE-nwJNE8JJkfQ/

Isn't that exactly what the CovCath chaperones were doing by encouraging the kids to group together away from the BHI cretins and participate in group pep-rally style chants and cheers to drown out and ignore the obnoxious BHI guys?

Why is nobody calling Nathan Phillips to answer for his cultural insensitivity by intruding into the CovCath kids' space and disrupting their singing?

ok doser

CNN’s Chris Cuomo Likens MAGA Hat to ‘I Hate Black People’ T-Shirts

CNN anchor Christopher Cuomo, host of Cuomo Primetime, likened red baseball caps embroidered with President Donald Trump’s campaign slogan “Make America Great Again” to t-shirts which read “I Hate Black People” on Thursday evening.

A partial transcript is as follows:

CHRISTOPHER CUOMO: It’s a hat with four words on it, but they can mean a lot to people. I’m talking about the president’s MAGA hat. Now, we hear of a chef in San Mateo, California, saying “you wear that hat into my place, you’re not getting service.” He tweeted stuff like this, saying, “MAGA hats are like white hoods except stupider because you see exactly who is wearing them.” Now he’s taken down some of those tweets, and there are reports the chef is getting threats. What’s right here? What’s wrong? What matters? Let’s bring in D-Lemon, how do you see it?

DON LEMON: I think people should be able to wear whatever they want, right? I don’t like banning. I don’t like boycotting. I don’t like people getting fired for what’s just making honest mistakes. But I do say your clothing tells a story, and if you’ve put certain symbols in your home or in front of your house, things tell stories, and you should be aware of the entire story they tell, not just the little part of it that you want to be told. But I don’t like the idea of banning someone for wearing a hat, but that hat, as we have said, it’s no secret, I told you about how I feel and many people perceive that hat.

CUOMO: Right. So, you have the legality and then–

LEMON: It’s legal, right? You’re the attorney.

CUOMO: You can refuse service. You know, no shirt, no shoes, no service. On that, you’d have a counter First Amendment argument. You’re chilling my rights. It’s a private place. Well, how is this any different than the baker with the cake? Well, that was about refusing service to a group of people that should be a protected class.

Why should homos be a "protected class"?

And, unless you argue that Trump supporters should be a protected class, I don’t think you have much of an argument on that.

Here’s my problem on this issue. Ordinarily, I’d go down the line, look, “be bigger than that.” But I don’t want to fold to the trap of underselling the significance of the trigger of the expression to people. I think the more appropriate analogy to say is if people were wearing shirts that said, “I hate black people,” would he be okay to say, “Don’t come into my place with that?” And I think most people would be like, “yeah.”

LEMON: Yeah.

CUOMO: That’s how people like him see the MAGA hat, so does that make it okay? I think that’s the right question.

https://www.breitbart.com/the-media...ens-maga-hat-to-i-hate-black-people-t-shirts/

a shame they missed the opportunity to note the overreach of the original civil rights legislation that strayed from regulating governmental actions and intruded into the private sphere

as far as i'm concerned, the baker, the chef - any private business owner should have the unqualified right to choose whom to associate with, or choose whom not to associate with - for any reason, or no reason at all

ok doser

one of the searches i do daily is on "nathan phillips" - it's a sign that this story is spent when the search returns more hits about the canadian nathan phillips than the native american nathan Phillips :chuckle:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I like this one.

71cBXja3tpL._UY445_.jpg

binyamin7

Yeah it's been bad. And of course we all still have the neighbors that don't have an inch of snow anywhere on their driveway the whole storm. Bunch of Mary Magdalene's lol.

ok doser

i have about two feet to deal with, pretty light stuff, bare in spots, drifted much higher in others

about a half hour away they got dumped on - they always get it - bands of snow off lake ontario - they pick up the moisture all the way across from Toronto, rise up at the slight elevation and dump and dump and dump

this is nothing for them:
jim_teske_boylston.jpg

thank goodness most of that misses me - i'm north of it by about twenty miles - some days they'll be getting a couple of feet and i have bare ground and blue skies :)

i do get more cold than them - they're buffered by the moisture - the other day when that was dumping on them, they were in the low twenties while I was about 6 below

still, i'd rather have the cold than the snowfall