"Let Us Make Man In Our Image"

Right Divider

Body part
You are drawing your own conclusions about the truth so you are the one who has to deal with it, not me. Quit projecting your irritations and learn to face your own problems.
No, I'm reading the ridiculous things that you post and replying to them. If I'm misunderstanding THAT statement, then YOU have a problem with being clear.

YOU said that YOU are INFINITE. You are not.

Elia

Here we see a plurality in the Godhead:

"And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness... So God created man in his own image" (Gen1:26,27).​

Here God is spoken of as being a plurality. This is a case of a "compound unity," a concept which is spoken of here:

"For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. This is a great mystery" (Eph.5:31-32).​

This concept is above the reasoning of our finite minds and that is why Paul calls it a "mystery." Nevertheless, the concept of "compound unity" is found in the Bible and that same concept applies to the Godhead.

The Bible reveals that there is One God in three Divine Persons. That is why we read of the "name" (singular) of God here:

"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit" (Mt.28:19).​

Can anyone explain why we see plural pronouns in this verse?:

"And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness" (Gen1:26).​

Thanks!

Bs'd

Genesis 1:26; "Let us make man" If anybody finds in a text the word "us", would any normal person assume that it refers to one person with a multi-personality disorder? Of course not.

But why then, when Christians see the word "us" in the Bible, do they think that?

Gen 1:26 is used as a 'proof' that there is more than one God, or one God who is not one, eventhough the Bible clearly teaches that there is only one God who is one. and despite the fact that there are several other valid explanations for the plural word "us". One explanation is that it is a majestic plural as used by kings. Another possible explanation is that God was talking to the angels.

Some Christians try to refute the last argument by saying that the angels didn't create. They point to Genesis 1:1; "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." They say: 'God was the creator, and not the angels.' However, it is a given in Jewish law that an emissary is equal to the one who sends him. When a Jewish man marries a woman through an agent, the legal effect is the same as when he marries her personally. A good Biblical example of this is to be found in Genesis 19 where is spoken about the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. God sent two angels to destroy the cities, the angels said to Lot in verse 13: "For we are about to destroy this place, because the outcry against its people has become great before the LORD, and the LORD has sent us to destroy it." Upon this Lot says to his sons in law: "Up, get out of this place; for the LORD is about to destroy the city." Lot didn't say: "The angels are going to destroy the city" He said: "The LORD (Y-H-W-H in the Hebrew text) is going to destroy the city". And in verse 29 it is written: "So it was that, when God destroyed the cities of the valley...." So the angels were send by God to destroy the cities, but God is considered to be the one who did it, because He was the one who sent them. So why shouldn't the same hold true for the creation?

But one way or the other, no plural created man. Look in Genesis 5:1; "When God created man ..." In Hebrew this is: "bara Elohiem adam" Here the verb "to create", in Hebrew "bara", is in the singular, indicating clearly that Elohiem who created man is one. The same goes for the very first verse of the Bible: "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." The word created is here written in the singular; it says "bara". If God was a plural, it should have been "baru".

BUT, back to the pronouns, Y-H-W-H says the following:

Isaiah 44:6 “This is what Y-H-W-H says- Israel's King and Redeemer, Y-H-W-H Almighty: I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God.

It says "I" am Y-H-W-H. And, as we all know, "I" is singular, and not plural, and therefore no three persons in Y-H-W-H. Otherwise He would have said: "WE are Y-H-W-H."

But no such thing, God says: "I am Y-H-W-H".

No trinity.

Another example of a pronoun:

Nehemiah 9:6 “You alone are Y-H-W-H.”

As we see, it says that YOU, in the Hebrew singular, not plural are Y-H-W-H.

Again, no YOU, plural, are Y-H-W-H, but YOU singular, are Y-H-W-H.

So no three persons in God.

Another one:

Isaiah 44:6 “This is what Y-H-W-H says- Israel's King and Redeemer, Y-H-W-H Almighty: I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God.

Clear what? It doesn't say: “This is what Y-H-W-H says- Israel's King and Redeemer, Y-H-W-H Almighty: WE are the first and WE are the last; apart from US there is no God.

No such a thing, it is all SINGULAR.

Another one:

Joel 2:27 “Then you will know that I am in Israel, that I am Y-H-W-H your God, and that there is no other;”

Again, God says: "I am Y-H-W-H", and not "WE are Y-H-W-H" Such a thing simply doesn't exist.

I can go on and on with this, but these examples suffice. There is NO plurality in God.

And the word "us" when God speaks to the angels, does not imply otherwise.

Prizebeatz1

No, I'm reading the ridiculous things that you post and replying to them. If I'm misunderstanding THAT statement, then YOU have a problem with being clear.

YOU said that YOU are INFINITE. You are not.

This thread is based on the verse "Let us make man in our image". Are you saying God's image is not infinite and eternal? Perhaps the collective personality is secretly trying to make a God of itself by implying God is a man. The personality is very good at what it does. Your stuckness and identification with it are examples of it's crafty deceptions.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Last edited:

Right Divider

Body part
This thread is based on the verse "Let us make man in our image". Are you saying God's image is not infinite and eternal?
If you think that this is the meaning of that verse, then you are confused. Made in God's image does NOT mean that we are some sort of copy of God in every way.

Perhaps the collective personality is secretly trying to make a God of itself by implying God is a man.
That is new age mumbo jumbo (NAMJ) that has nothing to do with Biblical Christianity and the God of the Bible.

The personality is very good at what it does. Your stuckness and identification with it are examples of it's crafty deceptions.
Your NAMJ is the satanic deception.

Jerry Shugart

Your stuckness and identification with it are examples of it's crafty deceptions.

Evidently there is a difference between you and Right Divider in regard to the meaning of certain verses but he is certainly not trying to deceive anyone. Can we please endeavor to "keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace" (Eph.4:3)?

Thanks!

Jerry Shugart

Bs'd

Genesis 1:26; "Let us make man" If anybody finds in a text the word "us", would any normal person assume that it refers to one person with a multi-personality disorder? Of course not.

But why then, when Christians see the word "us" in the Bible, do they think that?

Gen 1:26 is used as a 'proof' that there is more than one God, or one God who is not one, eventhough the Bible clearly teaches that there is only one God who is one. and despite the fact that there are several other valid explanations for the plural word "us".

In the Bible one of the names of the One God is 'Elohiym, and that name is a "plural" noun. That name is used in the following verses:

"And God ('Elohiym) said, Let us make man according to our image and likeness...And God ('Elohiym) made man, according to the image of God he made him" (Gen.1:26,27).​

We can see the same thing here:

"Then the LORD God ('Elohiym) said, “Behold, the man has become like one of Us, knowing good and evil..."
(Gen.3:22).​

Prizebeatz1

If you think that this is the meaning of that verse, then you are confused. Made in God's image does NOT mean that we are some sort of copy of God in every way.

That is new age mumbo jumbo (NAMJ) that has nothing to do with Biblical Christianity and the God of the Bible.

Your NAMJ is the satanic deception.

Is God infinite and eternal or not?

Prizebeatz1

Evidently there is a difference between you and Right Divider in regard to the meaning of certain verses but he is certainly not trying to deceive anyone. Can we please endeavor to "keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace" (Eph.4:3)?

Thanks!

The personality and our identification with it is the deception. Almost no one knows this to be a problem and that is the way the enemy prefers it. That way it can go about its business with no opposition. We don't realize the part we are playing in our own destruction. We trade our infinite and eternal identity for something of lesser value (the personality) because we don't know any better. Why should we subject ourselves to living in a world where no one is aware of their own worth? Would we want to pass this lack of self-worth on to our children?

Jerry Shugart

We trade our infinite and eternal identity for something of lesser value (the personality) because we don't know any better.

I do not know why you say that because Christians are told this and we believe it:

"And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son"
(1 Jn.5:11).​

Thanks!

Prizebeatz1

I do not know why you say that because Christians are told this and we believe it:

"And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son"
(1 Jn.5:11).​

Thanks!

The identity of being Christian becomes more important than our infinite and eternal identity. There is unconscious pleasure in identifying with the personality. We like the feeling of control, the foundation, the security of having something to hold on to. It gives us comfort from facing the infinite and eternal spaciousness we would experience if we were to let go. The personality is in effect fighting a war against what is infinite and eternal and therefore against God. The same intensity with which we are gripping the familiar identity of the personality is the same intensity with which the enemy has us in a headlock.

themuzicman

El = God (singular)
Ellah = God (duality)
Elohim = God (plurality; in Gen 1:1 and when talking about God in general, it means 3)

This is incorrect. The Jews never acknowledged that God is triune, and would never use language would imply that God is more than one. Elohim, while plural, refers to a great one.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
This is incorrect. The Jews never acknowledged that God is triune, and would never use language would imply that God is more than one. Elohim, while plural, refers to a great one.
In the Hebrew language there are multiple forms of our word, "one."

Everywhere in the Old Testament where it talks about God being "One", the hebrew word uses echad, which means "one of plurality," not yachad or bad, which are singular versions of "one".

For example, "one man" and "one woman" (both singular 'one') become "one flesh" (the plural 'one'). "The Lord is One" (plural).

See kgov.com/three and kgov.com/deity.

Also, see kgov.com/euthyphros-dilemma

Sent from my Pixel XL using TheologyOnline mobile app

themuzicman

In the Hebrew language there are multiple forms of our word, "one."

Everywhere in the Old Testament where it talks about God being "One", the hebrew word uses echad, which means "one of plurality," not yachad or bad, which are singular versions of "one".

For example, "one man" and "one woman" (both singular 'one') become "one flesh" (the plural 'one'). "The Lord is One" (plural).

Again, Jewish culture would never use any plural regarding God. You're ignoring the fact that the plural is also used for greatness.

What you're claiming about Jewish writers is diametrically opposed to what they believed about God.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Again, Jewish culture would never use any plural regarding God. You're ignoring the fact that the plural is also used for greatness.

What you're claiming about Jewish writers is diametrically opposed to what they believed about God.

See the links above, who were written by someone who has been studying the Bible for 30+ years.

themuzicman

See the links above, who were written by someone who has been studying the Bible for 30+ years.

You might try listening to someone who has studied the Hebrew language and the Old Testament on a Master's level, as well as having studied Scripture for 30 years. Understanding Hebrew Culture is important to understanding Hebrew writing.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
You might try listening to someone who has studied the Hebrew language and the Old Testament on a Master's level, as well as having studied Scripture for 30 years. Understanding Hebrew Culture is important to understanding Hebrew writing.
Have you looked at the links I gave? If not, do so before telling me to look at something else.