Lesbian Methodist Minister

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Originally posted by firechyld

He interprets the crime of Sodom as being rape, not homosexuality.

And he is wrong. For crying out loud, you said you read the thread, yet you seem to have skipped page 14.

It may disagree with your interpretation, but it's not necessarily incorrect. I think it's more what he's concluding that bothers you.

HR is misrepresenting what happened. If you wanna follow along with him, go ahead. But you will be just as wrong.

Still, you objected to his statement that "rape is rape".

impurex said: "Rape is rape. It doesn't matter who is doing it to whom, or what sex they are."

I said: I guess it only matters to those who care about the accuracy of the event, unlike HR who is always looking to condone sodomy.

In this context, you know, HR misrepresenting what happened, it does matter because that's what happened.

It's a heinous crime no matter what the gender of the individuals involved... at least by modern standards. Do you disagree?

I agree you should follow along and at least try to understand what is being said. My objection (still) is trying to make an event into something it's not. Do you really believe I think rape is ok at all? Get serious.

Instead of trying to make me say something I'm not saying so you will have something to go on about, how about you try taking another crack at that Horus thread?

firechyld

Originally posted by Nineveh

And he is wrong. For crying out loud, you said you read the thread, yet you seem to have skipped page 14.

I and many others... including many Christians of various denominations over the milennia... do not feel that you can make the assertation that this interpretation is "wrong" based solely on what is presented in the text. *shrug* It's an argument that has been going on for a very long time. I doubt it's going to be resolved here.

HR is misrepresenting what happened. If you wanna follow along with him, go ahead. But you will be just as wrong.

Again, it's an old argument. We're told what happened. It's left to the reader to discern why. Unfortunately(?), we're operating in a completely different culture to those for whom the text was originally written. It's not as simple as "misrepresenting what happened".

I agree you should follow along and at least try to understand what is being said. My objection (still) is trying to make an event into something it's not. Do you really believe I think rape is ok at all? Get serious.

No. I don't think that. I think that you often object to people's comments based on your feelings about the individual in question, rather than the content of the post.

"Rape is rape". You obviously agree with that sentiment, yet you responded in a very antagonistic fashion, without acknowledging that the statement itself was not objectionable. Maybe I've grown unused to your idiosyncrasies in my absence, but it jumped out at me.

Perhaps for the best, I have run out of time. Since I'm not sure when I'll be back online, I'll apologise and back out of this discussion now.

Instead of trying to make me say something I'm not saying so you will have something to go on about, how about you try taking another crack at that Horus thread?

That was the thread where I was supposed to be looking up prophecy for you, no? I didn't know that I was going to be online tonight, so I was unprepared. I'll try to remember it next time I have net access. Failing that, feel free to remind me if I show up empty handed again. As I'm sure you will. :)

Take care, Ninevah and all. I'll hopefully talk to you again soon.

Nineveh

Merely Christian

I and many others... including many Christians of various denominations over the milennia... do not feel that you can make the assertation that this interpretation is "wrong" based solely on what is presented in the text. *shrug* It's an argument that has been going on for a very long time. I doubt it's going to be resolved here.

Right, well anyway it seems straightforward enough, and I'll repost this for you since page 14 gives you hives:

Gen 19:4-5
Before they had gone to bed, all the men from every part of the city of Sodom-both young and old-surrounded the house. They called to Lot, "Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them."

Again, it's an old argument. We're told what happened. It's left to the reader to discern why. Unfortunately(?), we're operating in a completely different culture to those for whom the text was originally written. It's not as simple as "misrepresenting what happened".

Feel free to make those 2 verses say anything you want. HR does.

No. I don't think that. I think that you often object to people's comments based on your feelings about the individual in question, rather than the content of the post.

Speaking of context, which you avoided so you would have something to harp on ....

Seems you are being a bit of a hypocrite at this point.

"Rape is rape". You obviously agree with that sentiment, yet you responded in a very antagonistic fashion, without acknowledging that the statement itself was not objectionable.

That's because it took you to yank it out of context.

Maybe I've grown unused to your idiosyncrasies in my absence, but it jumped out at me.

No, you often yank things out of context and charge full steam ahead.

Perhaps for the best, I have run out of time. Since I'm not sure when I'll be back online, I'll apologise and back out of this discussion now.

lol...

That always seems to happen when that prophecy for idols thing comes up...

That was the thread where I was supposed to be looking up prophecy for you, no? I didn't know that I was going to be online tonight, so I was unprepared. I'll try to remember it next time I have net access. Failing that, feel free to remind me if I show up empty handed again. As I'm sure you will. :)

Yes, I will keep reminding you you keep coming up empty handed :)

Take care, Ninevah and all. I'll hopefully talk to you again soon.

Take care :)

Christine

Re: my position on this difficult subject to talk about......

Re: my position on this difficult subject to talk about......

Originally posted by Galadrial

I can't believe there are ppl out there that are believing in things like this.(well, actually I can but it upsets me greatly to know that one of my neighbors could in fact be one of these ppl and I don't even know it.) Not only do I find it wrong but I think god is looking down on these ppl and isn't at all happy with them and the choices they are making. I'm also wondering if they even care about what god thinks of them, and there actions towards others?...........(mind goes blank for a while....) I might add more later but I think thats all for now!

That's intersting, Galadrial. You talk as if you condemn homosexuality, yet the church you say you attend (United Church of Christ) which is one of the most accepting denominations of homosexuals. In fact, they were the very first church to ordain homosexuals, transgenders, and lesbians for the ministry.

Galadrial

Re: Re: my position on this difficult subject to talk about......

Re: Re: my position on this difficult subject to talk about......

Originally posted by Christine

That's intersting, Galadrial. You talk as if you condemn homosexuality, yet the church you say you attend (United Church of Christ) which is one of the most accepting denominations of homosexuals. In fact, they were the very first church to ordain homosexuals, transgenders, and lesbians for the ministry.

well, Christine........I may be a member of a church but it doesn't necessarily mean that I agree with everything that is mentioned in the church, or all that the church says.:-/

Christine

Re: Re: Re: my position on this difficult subject to talk about......

Re: Re: Re: my position on this difficult subject to talk about......

well, Christine........I may be a member of a church but it doesn't necessarily mean that I agree with everything that is mentioned in the church, or all that the church says

Are you saying you disagree with the United Church of Christ?

If you don't agree with the church you should do one of two things:

1: Leave the United Church of Christ and start attending a more conservative church

2: Conform to and start agreeing with the beliefs of the United Church of Christ.

If you do agree, then you're in the right church.

Galadrial

Re: Re: Re: Re: my position on this difficult subject to talk about......

Re: Re: Re: Re: my position on this difficult subject to talk about......

Originally posted by Christine

Are you saying you disagree with the United Church of Christ?

If you don't agree with the church you should do one of two things:

1: Leave the United Church of Christ and start attending a more conservative church

2: Conform to and start agreeing with the beliefs of the United Church of Christ.

If you do agree, then you're in the right church.

You've totally confused me , Christine......I'm not sure what you're saying.......I also don't appreciate you telling me what to do!

Last edited:

Christine

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: my position on this difficult subject to talk about......

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: my position on this difficult subject to talk about......

You've totally confused me , Christine......I'm not sure what you're saying.......
I'll try one question at a time. :)

I've shown you that the United Church of Christ openly supports homosexuality. Do you or do you not agree with beliefs and actions of the United Church of Christ? To put it more simply, do you think homosexuality is a sin?

Christine

Yes, I think homosexuality is a sin and it is morally wrong.

Thank you for answering. :) Now for the next question, why are you attending a church that openly promotes homosexuality?

Art Deco

I find one thing to be true in that, War only makes things worse. It never solves anything.
Another air-head liberal lie, WW II stopped Hitler's war to conquer the world. Only those who read history books know this. The MTV generation are dumber than dog crap...and are a waste of skin.

firechyld

Originally posted by Nineveh
lol...

That always seems to happen when that prophecy for idols thing comes up...

LOL!!

The funny thing is that you probably DO believe that I'd completely log out of TOL and go offline just to avoid answering a question from you. Self important much?

I am, and was yesterday, online from a friend's computer, minus my books, my notebooks, my saved links and stored favourites. I also had limited time, and today have even less. Unlike some, I don't like to "back up" my assertations with poorly researched answers, and I certainly don't like to rely on google for "research". When I have some advanced notice that I will have access to TOL, I'll have a serious crack at that prophecy question. Of course, I'm presuming that you want me to take this seriously and give you a decently researched and verified answer. If you just want a google search, you can do that yourself.

Yes, I will keep reminding you you keep coming up empty handed :)

I keep coming up empty handed? Ninevah, I haven't tried to find material for you yet. I have a life outside of this website. :)

Nineveh

Merely Christian
firechyld,
Since you have found the other thread, let's keep this one and that one as on topic as possible?

NavyDude

Originally posted by Art Deco

Another air-head liberal lie, WW II stopped Hitler's war to conquer the world. Only those who read history books know this. The MTV generation are dumber than dog crap...and are a waste of skin.

Did WWII stop Hitler from taking over the world, or allow the U.S. to take over?

Zakath

Resident Atheist
... I have a life outside of this website. :)
Well, of all the heresies I've ever seen spouted here, this takes the cake!!!! :shocked:

... a life outside of TOL?!?! Who'dve thought it possible.

:chuckle:

Art Deco

Originally posted by NavyDude

Did WWII stop Hitler from taking over the world, or allow the U.S. to take over?
Are you an anti-American Secular Humanist Democrat? They all hate America and long for American defeat across the globe. More Americans have died to rescue foreigners from evil dictators and despots than have died to "take over the world." Your liberal revisionist history is showing.

Galadrial

the things ppl try to betray me as..........

the things ppl try to betray me as..........

Originally posted by Art Deco

Some from this generation might be dummer than bricks. however, I am sure that I nore anyone I know is that stupid.
I maybe ingorant but surely not stupid.....
we are not the only generation who thinks they know all and are hugely mistaken.:mad: :nono: (at stupidity of others!) :rolleyes: