John Calvin said this....

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You are judging God based on your own sense of justice.

He he were just, you would never have breathed a breath... neither would I for that matter.

Translation:

You are judging God on your own standards of justice.
Instead, you should judge God on my own standards of justice.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Matthew 23:37 states: "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!

This verse shows that (God the Son) longed for the House of Israel to cling to Him yet, they would not. They had a "choice" not to. That's obvious.

If you interpret it that way, then you have to come to the conclusion that your god is inept.

Just because God longs for something does not make him contradict his other immutable attributes. God has chosen some people for glory and some for damnation.. there is no way around that.

If we truly had a choice, than there would have been no need for Jesus... think about it.

I think you must have a twisted view of God if you think that he can in one part of his being long for his people to come to him and in another part of his being cause them to reject him and be damned forever.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I think you must have a twisted view of God if you think that he can in one part of his being long for his people to come to him and in another part of his being cause them to reject him and be damned forever.

Excellent post!!!

Thanks GM. I think it is not only a twisted view of God that makes people think like that but a twisted view of man. They really believe that man deserves nothing other than unending punishment just for being born. And they put on a theological dressing about being sinful in Adam but what it amounts to is that they hate everyone in the world except themselves and delight in nothing other than the thought of them being saved by God's mercies.

And they are all for it, when they know that they themselves are saved because it is a highly convenient belief for them. This is what is so truly obnoxious about them. This is the reason for my first pillar of TULIP which is in my signature below.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
That is not an 'old fashion way'... its actually pretty much a 'new age way'.

I didn't need Calvin to be saved either... it's just that when you mature in the word and look back at what happened, his take on scripture makes the entire process a LOT clearer.

I didn't have any clue who John Calvin was before I went to college... and I was saved at 8 sitting in the back of a station wagon with two of my cousins that had just returned from the mission field (Japan). Its my most vivid memory of child hood.

At 8 did you suddenly have an "Epiphany," that went something like this? John Calvin was right, "I am of the Elect!"

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That is also true.

God is the alpha and omega... the beginning, end and everything in between is all under his absolute control.... not a single hair falls out of your head unless he decreed it.

Your assumption is based on God creating a stone that is too big for him to move.

If I believed that to be true Christianity would be the most vile, evil, religion to have ever existed.
It's creepy that some believe God commanded every rapist, adulterer, murderer, etc., to do what they did.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
There was a Calvinist in the 70s that had a radio show and he said,
if a wife was being beaten by her husband, she should stay with him
even if he killed her.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
That's what B57 believes. I believe Nanja and HS do, as well.

There was some priceless correspondence with B57 I remember but which was deleted in the cull. B57 said something like "God neither loves everyone, nor is it his desire to save everyone." And that was in the context of what he would tell his child when asked if God loves her. He actually has no idea whether God loves her or not. His own child.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
His name was Harold Camping on "Family Radio." He later predicted the
world would end in the 90s then, when that didn't happen he predicted
it would end in 2008 I believe it was?

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
There was some priceless correspondence with B57 I remember but which was deleted in the cull. B57 said something like "God neither loves everyone, nor is it his desire to save everyone." And that was in the context of what he would tell his child when asked if God loves her. He actually has no idea whether God loves her or not. His own child.

He's deranged.