John Calvin said this....

Shasta

So I suppose in a modern scenaro a demon comes to God and asks permission to be a spirit of sexual perversion to go down and inspire a father to rape his innocent pre-pubescent daughter. The Lord gives His permission and the demon is sent out with the commission of child abuse which it carries out for many years. When the abused person finally escapes they, damaged and deformed by the experience asks their Reformed Pastor (who is a strict Calvinist) the question they always ask, "Why did this happen?" True to his doctrine the Pastor replies "God caused it to happen....for your good."

Do you think people do not ask this? I have heard this many times. What are they to think about a God who has caused this to happen? We have to be careful not to be be dogmatic about these cases. Many times in scripture people were subjected to evil because they were simply born into an evil culture, or under the influence of an abusive authority. Because "the kingdoms of this world" are not yet "the kingdoms of this world and of His Christ" evil still is allowed spheres of influence. The Father is working in the present evil world, however, and is not ready yet to call a halt to it.

One assumption that is often made is that demons always have to ask permission to do things. We have drawn this inference on the basis of only a few scriptures. One is Job. The Devil had to ask permission to assault him...but that was because Job was protected by a special "hedge" of protection which had to be removed before he could be attacked.

In another scripture, a demon was given permission to deceive the prophets that were advising Ahab in order to bring the king to judgment (1 Kings 22:21-23 ). Had the prophet's motives not been to please the king and gain favor they might have recognized the spirit of deception but their own crooked motives made them vulnerable to the spirit's influence.

Sometimes demons gain ascendancy in a person's life not because God commissioned them to prevail but because the person willfully indulges in a lifestyle that puts them into contact with the spirit world (Matthew 12:43-45)

From this we need not infer that every time a demon tempts someone (especially a non-believer who is under their power anyway) they must get special permission to do so. It does not make sense that God is in such close contact with the Enemy that He micromanages Satan's kingdom for him. If He did that the Kingdom of Darkness might as well be called God's Kingdom as Satan's

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
No... I absolutely explained it.

Sorry you didn't understand my explanation... when you get mature in Christ, hopefully you will.

You didn't give your interpretation of that verse. You only went on
about "New-age" concepts. Your fellow posters can see that you didn't
give an interpretation of that verse. You're not fooling anybody but
yourself.

Shasta

You can say that of every 'ism'... including yours.

We are all that lump of clay that is trying to question the potters intent.

Eventually you just have to let go and acknowledge that God is sovereign over all... and let the unknowns be unknown... instead of making god in our own image.

Paul's remarks about the potter and the clay in Romans 9 is an allusion to Jeremiah 18:1-4 The potter wanting to make something nice out of the lump of clay began to work with it. Soon however his fingers encountered some resistance in the clay. Since he could not work it out he pulled the hard part out and began reforming it. Not having as much of it to work with the potter decided to make it into something else. The design he had in mind originally was something noble and elegant. Because of the clay's resistance he fashioned it instead into something ignoble - like a bed pan

Many people read the example and get their own ideas about it. A lot of times they do not read what God's interpretation of it was. Jeremiah explains it clearly. The Potter has power over the clay but what the potter decides to make of the clay into depends on whether the clay is resistant or cooperative.

7 If at any time I declare concerning a nation or a kingdom, that I will pluck up and break down and destroy it, 8 and if that nation, concerning which I have spoken, turns from its evil, I will relent of the disaster that I intended to do to it (Jeremiah 18:7-8)

In this case, God has spoken judgement. His intention is to make this a vessel of wrath. Notice that he has warned them. However, when the "clay" which was at first "resistant" changes becoming more pliable God CHANGES the judgement and alters their destiny.

On the other hand, God gives an example of "clay" which is at first soft and pliable. He has envisioned a great purpose for them but then they cease being soft and become resistant.

9 And if at any time I declare concerning a nation or a kingdom that I will build and plant it, 10 and if it does evil in my sight, not listening to my voice, then I will relent of the good that I had intended to do to it. (Jeremiah 18:9-10)

They started out walking with God. They even had prophetic promises. Then when they rebelled their destiny is changed and the "pot" becomes fit only for ignoble uses. The power of the potter over the clay consists in His right to change people's destiny which he does in accordance with their response to Him.

Far from the Potter's House being a archetypical picture of predestination this metaphor allows for the role of human choice IN divine destiny

Jerry Shugart

God is the alpha and omega... the beginning, end and everything in between is all under his absolute control.... not a single hair falls out of your head unless he decreed it.

"This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all" (1 Jn.1:5).​

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
I have a collection of quotes of John Calvin that I think most Calvinists wouldn't admit to agreeing with, if they agree at all. In this thread I'll post one from time to time and we'll see just how many real Calvinists there are around here.

Ready? Here we go.....

“The devil, and the whole train of the ungodly, are in all directions, held in by the hand of God as with a bridle, so that they can neither conceive any mischief, nor plan what they have conceived, nor how muchsoever they may have planned, move a single finger to perpetrate, unless in so far as he permits, nay unless in so far as he commands, that they are not only bound by his fetters but are even forced to do him service” (John Calvin, Institutes of Christian Religion, Book 1, Chapter 17, Paragraph 11)​

Resting in Him,
Clete

It is true so far as Christians are concerned....that will try the faith of many

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I'm not sure you read the quote!

If Satan asked permission then according to John Calvin, he did so because God predestined that he would ask permission and God, according to John Calvin, does not merely allow anything, He commands it.

Resting in Him,
Clete

yeah, i saw that too - i can't agree with the wording. it means everything. word choices; context -