John 10:30 – Jesus is The Son of God

TrevorL

John 10:30 – Jesus is The Son of God

John 10:30-36 (KJV): 30 I and my Father are one. 31 Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him. 32 Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me? 33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God. 34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods? 35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken; 36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?
John 10:30 clearly teaches that Jesus is The Son of God. In verse 30 Jesus states that he is at one, at unity with His Father, thus claiming that God is His Father, and thus that He is The Son of God. When the Jews objected Jesus gives clear and thorough reasons why their accusation is incorrect, including verse 30 where Jesus reiterates in different words what he had stated in verse 30 by saying:
John 10:36 (KJV): I said, I am the Son of God

Kind regards
Trevor

Jerry Shugart

In verse 30 Jesus states that he is at one, at unity with His Father, thus claiming that God is His Father,

Trevor, the Lord Jesus said that God is His Father and the Jews understood that He was claiming to be God:

"But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work. Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God" (Jn.5:17-18).​

If this was just a misunderstanding then surely the Lord Jesus would have denied that He was making Himself equal to God.

In fact, in the same discourse He claimed to be able to raise the dead (v.21) and said that the Father had committed all judgment to Him (v.22). He also said this:

"That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him"
(v.23).​

It is inconceivable that the Lord Jesus would have said that to the Jews if He is not God.

keypurr

Trevor, the Lord Jesus said that God is His Father and the Jews understood that He was claiming to be God:

"But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work. Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God" (Jn.5:17-18).​

If this was just a misunderstanding then surely the Lord Jesus would have denied that He was making Himself equal to God.

In fact, in the same discourse He claimed to be able to raise the dead (v.21) and said that the Father had committed all judgment to Him (v.22). He also said this:

"That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him"
(v.23).​

It is inconceivable that the Lord Jesus would have said that to the Jews if He is not God.
Because the Jews were wrong does not mean you have to be.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using TheologyOnline mobile app

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Jesus is very clear that the Father is the only true God. He is also as clear that we have the very same God and the very same Father as He does. Even Paul backed that up with only one God the Father.

John 17:1-3

1 Jesus spoke these words, lifted up His eyes to heaven, and said: "Father, the hour has come. Glorify Your Son, that Your Son also may glorify You,
2 "as You have given Him authority over all flesh, that He should give eternal life to as many as You have given Him.
3 "And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.
(NKJ)

John 20:17
17 Jesus said to her, "Do not cling to Me, for I have not yet ascended to My Father; but go to My brethren and say to them, 'I am ascending to My Father and your Father, and to My God and your God.'"
(NKJ)

1 Cor 8:6
6 yet for us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we for Him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and through whom we live.
(NKJ)

TrevorL

To further explain John 10:30, Jesus uses similar words in John 17. This is part of the prayer that Jesus addresses to His Father, the only true God:
John 17:1-3 (KJV):1 These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee: 2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him. 3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

Now Jesus had spoken of his unity with His Father in John 10:30, and he repeats this idea here, and speaks of the purpose to share this unity with his disciples:
John 17:6 (KJV): 6 I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word. 17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. 18 As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world. 19 And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctifieda through the truth. 20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; 21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. 22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: 23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

Thus the expression of unity between Jesus and His Father in John 10:30 is reiterated here in John 17 and extended to incorporate the unity between God the Father, Jesus and the disciples. This is a further development of the Yahweh Name.

Kind regards
Trevor

TrevorL

I would like to briefly consider the first of two “answers” that Jesus gives to the Jews
John 10:30-33 (KJV): 30 I and my Father are one. 31 Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him. 32 Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me? 33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

Notice that Jesus answered them. He answered them because he knew what they were thinking, and of what they were attempting to accuse him, even before they spoke. Even then they completely ignored his answer and blurted out their accusation: “for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God”. But Jesus did not claim to be God, as the Trinitarians also would like to suggest, but that the works and miracles that he performed were from God his Father, and they were evidence that God was with him.

John 3:1-2 (KJV): 1 There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews: 2 The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.
Acts 2:22 (KJV): Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:

Thus with this first answer, Jesus was not claiming to be God, but the Jews were oblivious to his words.

Kind regards
Trevor

marhig

I would like to briefly consider the first of two “answers” that Jesus gives to the Jews
John 10:30-33 (KJV): 30 I and my Father are one. 31 Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him. 32 Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me? 33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

Notice that Jesus answered them. He answered them because he knew what they were thinking, and of what they were attempting to accuse him, even before they spoke. Even then they completely ignored his answer and blurted out their accusation: “for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God”. But Jesus did not claim to be God, as the Trinitarians also would like to suggest, but that the works and miracles that he performed were from God his Father, and they were evidence that God was with him.

John 3:1-2 (KJV): 1 There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews: 2 The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.
Acts 2:22 (KJV): Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:

Thus with this first answer, Jesus was not claiming to be God, but the Jews were oblivious to his words.

Kind regards
Trevor

I agree, the Jewish leaders were trying to falsely accuse him so they could put him to death for blasphemy, he never said he was God. And once they tried to accuse Jesus of making himself God, he corrected them and said "because I say that I am the son of God"

He only ever said that he was the son of God, not God, and not God the son.

Also, we know that Jesus never said he was God, but he did say that he was a man and that he had heard the truth from God.

John 8:40

But now ye seek to kill me, a man that hath told you the truth, which I have heard of God:

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Jesus claims to be God's Son......other claims are superimposed.......

Jesus claims to be God's Son......other claims are superimposed.......

(v.23).​

But as shared previously, Jesus did NOT claim to be 'God', but only the Son of God. We might also add he uses Psalm 82 to show that even human beings are called 'elohim', and children of the Most High, so that Jesus claim to be the Son of God, was perfectly within the realm of relational truth, that he was not claiming to be 'God' Almighty, but merely His SON. No claim to Godhood, but just the opposite as shown earlier here by others. He was corrected the Jews for their 'mistaken assumptions' that merely affirming God as one's Father does not them 'God'. Also the concept of God being our 'Father' was a concept in some passages of scripture already, although not that prominent,...such a concept of the Fatherhood of God was of course a prominent feature of Jesus gospel message.

As to your second passage above, just because the Father has committed all judgment to the son and a measure of divine power/authority, this does not make him 'God'. A Unitarian interpretation is a rational logical perspective to take on these passages. My Christology is quite eclectic, and includes perspectives beyond both Unitarian and Trinitarian ones, since there are many different and wonderful views of Jesus, concerning his place in the divine hierarchy, as well as his humanity, and the various roles of his as a MAN anointed, empowered by God. The hypostatic union con-fuses issues even further.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
All that exists being God's creation, is "of God"

All that exists being God's creation, is "of God"

Where does it say father of God in the Bible?

lol - lets back track on Saul to Paul's little formula :)

STP writes:

Godhead:

1. Son (of God)
2. Father (of God)
3. Holy Spirit (of God)

I believe STP is presenting a basic Trinitarian formula...showing that all these 3 persons are 'God', or (of God)....'God' being the one original universal divine essence. So there is the one divine essence which all these personalities share, making them essentially One in essence, but different in personality-form and function. I'm sure you know the Trinitarian liberties with this formula of 'compound unity' metaphysics :)

View attachment 25039

So you see, all 3 personalities are of 'God', the one essence. We could in a more liberal sense extend this to all sentient beings, all spirit-souls,....in that we are 'of God', being God's offspring, his children. Just like the psalmist says,..."did I not say ye are gods (of God), and children of the most high?" If God is really a Person, as the Universal Father,..then that Father, Our Father is the father of all 'personality' and all personalities, so its a big cosmic family of personalities :)

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist

Kind regards
Trevor

Something else to note are the subtle nuances in John's gospel and the writers attitude towards Jews (probably written by gentile writers, as some portions are believed to have been 'redacted'). John's gospel alone gives us these subjects of 'dialogue' where the other gospels are silent, concerning the 'logos' and Jesus Sonship. John's emphasis is always his SONship! even if you want to flex out a pre-existing logos doctrine from within a greek philosophical context,....it is still the plan, design, wisdom, logic, thought-expression of 'God' being carried out THRU Jesus that is of central import here. This is why whether you couch it all within a Unitarian or Trinitarian context, the central theme of Jesus being the Agent of God still holds. The rest is 'cosmetics'.

Jerry Shugart

Because the Jews were wrong does not mean you have to be.

Of course you did not address what the Lord Jesus said here:

"That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him" (Jn.5:23).​

If the Lord Jesus is not God then what He said there is blasphemy of the worse kind. How do you defend the Lord Jesus' words there since you do not believe that He is God?

Jerry Shugart

But as shared previously, Jesus did NOT claim to be 'God', but only the Son of God.

Let us look how Paul used the term "son of" here when he spoke to Elymas:

"O full of all deceit and all fraud, you son of the devil, you enemy of all righteousness, will you not cease perverting the straight ways of the Lord?"​
(Acts 13:10).​

The Jews who heard this would understand that Paul was saying that Elymas' "nature" was that of the devil.

And when the Lord Jesus claimed to be the Son of God those who heard Him would understand Him to be saying that His very nature is that of God. And when He said that God is His Father and the Jews understood that He was claiming to be God:

(v.23).​

How do you explain what the Lord Jesus said there? If the Lord Jesus is not God then those words are the worst sort of blasphemy possible. How do you defend what the Lord Jesus said there?

Last edited:

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
God the One and All.......

God the One and All.......

"O full of all deceit and all fraud, you son of the devil, you enemy of all righteousness, will you not cease perverting the straight ways of the Lord?"​

The Jews who heard this would understand that Paul was saying that Elymas' "nature" was that of the devil.

And when the Lord Jesus claimed to be the Son of God those who heard Him would understand Him to be saying that His very nature is that of God. And when He said that God is His Father and the Jews understood that He was claiming to be God:

Already addressed this,....btw,....Adam is called the Son of God in one passage, and so are the angels, and so are humans. Are they 'God'? Any offspring of God then could be called a son of God, if indeed God is the Generator, Producer, Progenitor of that offspring. All living beings are 'of God'. Jesus may have a more special and unique 'Sonship' of course, but we are all included as the progeny of God.

That was just what the writer of the gospel was projecting, assuming the Jews thought this, but what Jesus shows is that scripture has said they are all 'elohim' and sons of the most High. - therefore they were highly exaggerating about his claim to 'Godhood' by merely calling himself the Son of God, since we are all sons of God. He was chiding them on their ignorance about their own scriptures, - it was they who had 'egg on their face' while posing as religious high hats.

31 The Jews picked up stones again to stone Him. 32 Jesus answered them, “I showed you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you stoning Me?” 33 The Jews answered Him, “For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You, being a man, make Yourself out to be God.” 34 Jesus answered them, “Has it not been written in your Law, ‘I said, you are gods’? 35 If he called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken), 36 do you say of Him, whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, ‘You are blaspheming,’ because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’? 37 If I do not do the works of My Father, do not believe Me; 38 but if I do them, though you do not believe Me, believe the works, so that you may [f]know and understand that the Father is in Me, and I in the Father.”

Note Jesus rebukes them for their false charge of blasphemy, because he claims to be the Son of God. If Jesus was 'God Almighty' himself, wouldn't he just clear it up then and there, by saying "I am God"? But he doesn't, because he is ever giving the title and office of Godhood to The Father ALONE, which any true Jew would do anyways, since God is incorporeal, the invisible power and presence that upholds all existence, God being Spirit. It is the Father in him who is doing the works, he is but the vessel, messenger, agent and representive of God. Here the concept of 'agency' is appropriate. There is the vessel and person being directed by God, filled by God, used by God. Inasmuch as it is the action of God working thru that person, such is God at work. But we would do well to differentiate the invisible power or spirit and the physical body or personality serving as an instrument. Of course on a more universal liberal view of spirit, energy and consciousness....its all 'God' anyways.

(v.23).​

Sure, God has committed much to the Son, this does not make the Son 'God'. The honor is granted to God and his anointed, to God and his representative,...since they are one. The honor is one. The glory is one.

Furthermore from John ch. 5 if you go just a little futher with verse 24 -
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Jesus is always confirming that the Father alone is 'God', that those who believe in Jesus word, will believe in the One who sent him, and that One is the only source of life. The invisible Spirit is the essence of life. The invisible, incorporeal, timeless, eternal, infinite PRESENCE....is the source of all.

How do you explain what the Lord Jesus said there? If the Lord Jesus is not God then those words are the worst sort of blasphemy possible. How do you defend what the Lord Jesus said there?

Not blasphemy at all, since the One who sends and the one sent are honored with equal respect, because the honor is one, the worship of God is singular to God himself, besides whom there is no other honor, no other glory, no other power. God is the One who fills all and all, and Jesus is the revelation of that one individually realized. Jesus is always giving glory to the Father, pointing to the Father, directing worship to the Father...and rightly so. He then prays in his high priestly prayer that we all be one, even as He and his Father are one. Such is divine community, or the body of 'Christ' comprised of awakened souls who recognize their own sonship with the Father together with Jesus illumined by the Spirit. And so it is.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

Actually the Jews well understood the relationship between father and son. They understood that an apple doesn't fall far from the tree. They realized like father, like son.

The Jews knew reproduction was of like kind.

Jerry Shugart

Not blasphemy at all, since the One who sends and the one sent are honored with equal respect, because the honor is one, the worship of God is singular to God himself, besides whom there is no other honor, no other glory, no other power. God is the One who fills all and all, and Jesus is the revelation of that one individually realized. Jesus is always giving glory to the Father, pointing to the Father, directing worship to the Father...and rightly so. He then prays in his high priestly prayer that we all be one, even as He and his Father are one. Such is divine community, or the body of 'Christ' comprised of awakened souls who recognize their own sonship with the Father together with Jesus illumined by the Spirit. And so it is.

Let us look at the verse again:

(v.23).​

I don't know about you, but the best way that I honor God is by worshipping Him. So I honor God when I worship Him. And since the Lord Jesus says that we should "honor"Him even as we "honor" the Father then if I do that then I must worship the Lord Jesus.

In fact, one of the meanings of the Greek word translated "honor" is "revere" (Thayer'sGreek English Lexicon).

And that matches the following meaning (in "bold") of the Greek word translated "worship":

"to make obeisance, do reverence to" (from pros, "towards," and kuneo, "to kiss"), is the most frequent word rendered "to worship." It is used of an act of homage or reverence"
(Vine's Expository Dictionary of the New Testament).​

The dictionary also defines "worship" in the same way:

"reverence offered a divine being or supernatural power; also: an act of expressing such reverence" (Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary).​

If you are not worshipping the Son to honor Him as you do the Father then you are not honoring the Father:

(v.23).​

You said:

...the worship of God is singular to God himself.

We honor the Father by worshipping Him and we are to honor the Lord Jesus as we honor the Father. Therefore, we must worship the Lord Jesus. And as you said, "the worship of God is singular to God himself."

Therefore, common sense dictates that the Lord Jesus is God.

Now a question for you. Do you honor the Father when you worship Him?

Thanks!

keypurr

Of course you did not address what the Lord Jesus said here:

"That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him" (Jn.5:23).​

If the Lord Jesus is not God then what He said there is blasphemy of the worse kind. How do you defend the Lord Jesus' words there since you do not believe that He is God?
Jerry, you do not need to make someone God to honor them. Christ came to show us how to honor his God. He said he could do nothing but serve his God. He said his Father is greater than all. Jesus was not looking for honor. Does he deserve honor? Yes, as the Son of God and as the Lord of all creation. But not as the most high God.

Sent from my A622GL using TheologyOnline mobile app

keypurr

(v.23).​

Read the words the Father sent him Jerry. He was sent by his God to do a job. He did not sent himself, he did not come of his own accord. He was sent.

What does that tell you?
It say he has a God.

How many Gods are there?
John 17:3 gives you the answer friend.

Sent from my A622GL using TheologyOnline mobile app

TrevorL

Some of the following has been mentioned by others. I would like to now consider Jesus’ second answer from John 10:30-36. This second answer is in response to their accusation in verse 33, that Jesus was speaking “blasphemy, and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God”:
John 10:33-36 (KJV): 33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God. 34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods? 35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken; 36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?

This citation of Psalm 82:6 at first seems obscure, and we may ask how this answers their accusation. This passage is talking of the Judges in Israel and Jesus draws attention to the fact that the Hebrew word “Elohim”, translated “God” or “gods” is used for these Judges. It is interesting to note that the translators had difficulty with the relevant verses where the Judges acted in the role of God (Hebrew Elohim):
Exodus 21:6 (KJV): 6 Then his master shall bring him unto the judges; he shall also bring him to the door, or unto the door post; and his master shall bore his ear through with an aul; and he shall serve him for ever.
Exodus 21:6 (ASV): then his master shall bring him unto God, and shall bring him to the door, or unto the door-post; and his master shall bore his ear through with an awl; and he shall serve him for ever.

Exodus 22:8-9 (KJV): 8 If the thief be not found, then the master of the house shall be brought unto the judges, to see whether he have put his hand unto his neighbour’s goods. 9 For all manner of trespass, whether it be for ox, for donkey, for sheep, for raiment, or for any manner of lost thing, which another challengeth to be his, the cause of both parties shall come before the judges; and whom the judges shall condemn, he shall pay double unto his neighbour.
Exodus 22:8-9 (ASV): 8 If the thief be not found, then the master of the house shall come near unto God, to see whether he have not put his hand unto his neighbor’s goods. 9 For every matter of trespass, whether it be for ox, for donkey, for sheep, for raiment, or for any manner of lost thing, whereof one saith, This is it, the cause of both parties shall come before God; he whom God shall condemn shall pay double unto his neighbor.

The role and responsibility of the judges is indicated in the following:
Deuteronomy 1:17 (KJV): Ye shall not respect persons in judgment; but ye shall hear the small as well as the great; ye shall not be afraid of the face of man; for the judgment is God’s: and the cause that is too hard for you, bring it unto me, and I will hear it.
2 Chronicles 19:6 (KJV): And said to the judges, Take heed what ye do: for ye judge not for man, but for the LORD, who is with you in the judgment.

So the judges were called God or gods because they were united in administering the work or judgements of God. They represented God and were given the title of God. Jesus was claiming a similar though superior role as The Son of God, by calling and claiming God as His Father. He also represented God, but was not claiming to be God. This then is a key to unlock many of the OT passages. If the Judges were called Elohim because they represented God, the various appearances of Angels, where the word God or Elohim is used, has the same concept, they represented God. These passages are not speaking of a pre-existent Jesus, or the second person of the Trinity, God the Son.

Jesus is thus rejecting their accusation that Jesus is claiming to be God.

Kind regards
Trevor