Jewed

CherubRam

Isaiah 65:15
You will leave your name to my chosen ones as a curse;(Jew) the Sovereign LORD will put you to death, but to his servants he will give another name. (Christian)

Acts 11:26
and when he found him, he brought him to Antioch. So for a whole year Barnabas and Saul met with the church and taught great numbers of people. The disciples were called Christians first at Antioch.

CherubRam

Your choice of words is marginal.

Even so, I am not the one who wrote the scriptures. What do you think of my interpretation?

You will leave your name to my chosen ones as a curse;(Jew) the Sovereign LORD will put you to death, but to his servants he will give another name. (Christian)

and when he found him, he brought him to Antioch. So for a whole year Barnabas and Saul met with the church and taught great numbers of people. The disciples were called Christians first at Antioch.

bybee

Even so, I am not the one who wrote the scriptures. What do you think of my interpretation?

Your Isaiah quote was directed to a specific time and place in the history of God's chosen ones. I have not thought of it as a universal, eternal condemnation.
I am open to being proven wrong?

chair

Antisemites are quite skilled at cherry-picking verses out of the Hebrew Bible to shore up their hate.

Daniel1611

Antisemites are quite skilled at cherry-picking verses out of the Hebrew Bible to shore up their hate.

"Anti-Semitism" is one of the most over used words in the world. No one is saying they hate Jews. I hate Judaism. I will say it. I hate all false religions, including Judaism. My prayer for followers of Judaism is that they be saved.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
My Lord and Savior, Jesus the Messiah, is a Jew. I don't understand this thread. The gospel is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes... to the Jew first and also to the Greek. Romans 1:16 NASB.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It is true that Jews did and still do reject Jesus. I also accept that it was God who ejected them from the land of Israel under the Romans.

But it was not primarily the rejection of Jesus that brought this about. It was the long history of rebellion that was only ever patchily overcome, of which the rejection of the Christ was just the culmination.

However, none of that is grounds for prejudice. Rather such matters should strike awe in us. As Paul says, if God rejected the original olive tree and instead grafted in the wild olive branches, then he can just as easily cut the wild ones off and reinstate the original ones. Which he will do if we get to be arrogant in the way the Israelites obviously were.
The judgement fell under the Romans and what happened after that down through the centuries happened because the Jews were without a proper home, defenceless and without status, not because God is still judging them. The Bible says that God still loves the Jews because of the fathers.
Our reaction as Christians should by no means be to join in with cursing but to show love and offer them salvation in Christ. This is the only true way they can ever come back to fellowship with God. This is the way that every Israelite will be saved and there is no other way. Supporting the nation that they now call their own is a way of showing this practical love but without Christ, their fellowship with God will remain purely historical.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Romans 11:17 NASB - But if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive, were grafted in among them and became partaker with them of the rich root of the olive tree,

Romans 11:24 NASB - For if you were cut off from what is by nature a wild olive tree, and were grafted contrary to nature into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these who are the natural branches be grafted into their own olive tree?

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
It is true that Jews did and still do reject Jesus. I also accept that it was God who ejected them from the land of Israel under the Romans.

But it was not primarily the rejection of Jesus that brought this about. It was the long history of rebellion that was only ever patchily overcome, of which the rejection of the Christ was just the culmination.

However, none of that is grounds for prejudice. Rather such matters should strike awe in us. As Paul says, if God rejected the original olive tree and instead grafted in the wild olive branches, then he can just as easily cut the wild ones off and reinstate the original ones. Which he will do if we get to be arrogant in the way the Israelites obviously were.
The judgement fell under the Romans and what happened after that down through the centuries happened because the Jews were without a proper home, defenceless and without status, not because God is still judging them. The Bible says that God still loves the Jews because of the fathers.
Our reaction as Christians should by no means be to join in with cursing but to show love and offer them salvation in Christ. This is the only true way they can ever come back to fellowship with God. This is the way that every Israelite will be saved and there is no other way. Supporting the nation that they now call their own is a way of showing this practical love but without Christ, their fellowship with God will remain purely historical.

:thumb: Excellent!

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

what's your point with this post ?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

pro-semites are quite skilled at imagining persecution and hate, creating the very things they complain about. perpetual paranoia:singer:

chair

"Anti-Semitism" is one of the most over used words in the world. .

Could be. But it is also one of the most common forms of bigotry in the world, and the word has its uses. A thread entitled "Jewed" is asking for it.
No one is saying they hate Jews. I hate Judaism. I will say it. I hate all false religions, including Judaism. My prayer for followers of Judaism is that they be saved.
Do you hate the wrong brands of Christianity as well?

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Romans 11:17 NASB - But if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive, were grafted in among them and became partaker with them of the rich root of the olive tree,

Romans 11:24 NASB - For if you were cut off from what is by nature a wild olive tree, and were grafted contrary to nature into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these who are the natural branches be grafted into their own olive tree?

Yes, OK. They were branches cut off but from their own tree. I said that slightly wrong. But the meaning is the same. Thanks for pointing it out.