It's All Buddha

ShadowMaid

I was looking back on this thread, which was when I actually really first started to debate. Wow! That was a year ago! And I didn't know to much about debating then. :chuckle:

wickwoman

Hmmm. Since this thread was resurrected from the bone pile. I think posting the original idea again is worth our time:

wickwoman said:
You’ve heard the saying: “it’s all good.” There are things that happen to us and we judge them constantly as good or bad. The first key: they do not happen TO us, they just happen. The second key: they are neither good nor bad, they just are.

This thread had been called "new age drivel" which part of the above quote qualifies as this? I would like to know just exactly which part of it is "new age drivel." Or, could it be that it is just common sense?

Everything that happens forms the person we are. And, if we judge certain happenings as bad and others as good, we deny that our life has purpose and that the person we are today is who we are supposed to be!

wickwoman said:
This is a Buddhist way of thinking about the things that arise that we would judge as good or bad: “it’s all buddha.” For all that happens is part of the whole. The good parts of us, the bad parts of us, are all part of our essence. Without the experiences that shape us – good and bad – we would not be the people we are today. Without the experiences that will come along today and tomorrow, we would not be the people we are to be in the future.

It’s about living without resistance to what comes along, surrendering to our lives with appreciation for things as they are, appreciating every moment as part of a the greater whole that is our life.

I hear the doomsday messages of some religions today and think to myself lately, “it’s all buddha.” I am not alarmed at the growth of “sin.” When I see the world, I see the evolution of humanity towards an ever higher awareness of the earth, ourselves, and of God.

And, Poly, where did you get the peace love and joy part of the subject. Perhaps some of the later posts were full of these ideas. Do you have a problem with peace love and joy or just in general with people who try to look at life in a positive light? Well, if you do, maybe you're onto something. What we all need to do, is look at life realistically. There are positive and negative experiences. But, this is because we judge them so. So the only real barrier to peace of mind is our mind. And, the weighing and judging it does every day.

noguru

Dread Helm said:
You might want to lay off the Crack.

:chuckle: That's pretty funny.

But, why would you say that? I gave it up a while ago. Perhaps, I should go back, since you didn't like my response.

Why did you capitalize crack? Is that because it is your God? :thumb:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
wickwoman said:
You’ve heard the saying: “it’s all good.” There are things that happen to us and we judge them constantly as good or bad. The first key: they do not happen TO us, they just happen. The second key: they are neither good nor bad, they just are.

This is a Buddhist way of thinking about the things that arise that we would judge as good or bad: “it’s all buddha.” For all that happens is part of the whole. The good parts of us, the bad parts of us, are all part of our essence. Without the experiences that shape us – good and bad – we would not be the people we are today. Without the experiences that will come along today and tomorrow, we would not be the people we are to be in the future.

It’s about living without resistance to what comes along, surrendering to our lives with appreciation for things as they are, appreciating every moment as part of a the greater whole that is our life.

I hear the doomsday messages of some religions today and think to myself lately, “it’s all buddha.” I am not alarmed at the growth of “sin.” When I see the world, I see the evolution of humanity towards an ever higher awareness of the earth, ourselves, and of God.

wickwoman,

Does this not violate the idea of karma that buddhism has? Or am I misunderstanding what karma is?

But other than that I think it is a good post. Even bad things can serve a purpose and we can learn and grow from them. As Nietzsche says, "What does not kill me makes me stronger". The only part I disagree with is the part about sin. You say that you aren't alarmed at the growth of sin, and you say that we are evolving towards a higher awareness of the earth, ourselves, and of God. If we are becoming more aware of God do you not think that sin would be decreasing? I know I'm looking at this from the standpoint of Christianity so I have a certain moral standard to judge what is "sin" and to measure if sin is growing, but the Christian set of morals isn't so different from what most religions ascribe to, and what atheists ascribe to. So if people are becoming more aware of God, how is sin growing? We must be quite rebellious in this awareness.

Kevin

wickwoman

Hi Kevin. This is a very old thread. And I was freshly interest in Buddhism. But, it's still relevant. You said:

kmoney said:
Does this not violate the idea of karma that buddhism has? Or am I misunderstanding what karma is?

The idea is that both good and bad circumstances are just what is. And what is, is the best teacher we have. We regard all dharmas as one. That is, they all come from the same source and are the stuff that we are made of. So, we do not sit down and sift the good from the bad. We realize that good and bad are opposite sides of the same coin.

kmoney said:
The only part I disagree with is the part about sin. You say that you aren't alarmed at the growth of sin, and you say that we are evolving towards a higher awareness of the earth, ourselves, and of God. If we are becoming more aware of God do you not think that sin would be decreasing? I know I'm looking at this from the standpoint of Christianity so I have a certain moral standard to judge what is "sin" and to measure if sin is growing, but the Christian set of morals isn't so different from what most religions ascribe to, and what atheists ascribe to. So if people are becoming more aware of God, how is sin growing? We must be quite rebellious in this awareness.

Depends on what you define as sin, Kevin. Growth of violent crime can be attributed to population increase and overcrowded conditions. But, if you are calling homosexuality a sin and adding it to the pile of human degredation, then I'd disagree strongly. But, it is my opinion that awareness is on the increase and it is in proportion to the dissatisfaction people have with their lives. As dissatisfaction increases, people will begin to look outside the norms to find fulfillment. And, this is a great place to be.

docrob57

wickwoman said:
Depends on what you define as sin, Kevin. Growth of violent crime can be attributed to population increase and overcrowded conditions. But, if you are calling homosexuality a sin and adding it to the pile of human degredation, then I'd disagree strongly. But, it is my opinion that awareness is on the increase and it is in proportion to the dissatisfaction people have with their lives. As dissatisfaction increases, people will begin to look outside the norms to find fulfillment. And, this is a great place to be.

Sorry to come in late on this discussion, could I ask for a few definitions or clarifications? Awareness of what is on the increase? What norms will people look outside of to find fulfillment, and why is this a great place to be? Does you opinion of homosexuality determine whether or not it is sin, and, how would you define sin?

Thanks in advance.

wickwoman

Dear Docrob:

"Sin" is the word people use to describe things they believe God disapproves of, nothing more. It is not a real thing or something you could put your hands on or look at. My definition of homosexuality is of no consequence. Homosexuality is a difference in sexual preference, nothing more.

The normal place people look for fulfillment is in things like money, houses, cars, jobs, etc. But, I believe the more complicated and stressful our lives get, the more we see it is all meaningless to seek after these things. That is why I believe the technological growth and advances, the complicated nature of things, the "global" community, have added to the confusion, but will push us to a simpler existence, a return to the basics eventually.

docrob57

wickwoman said:
Dear Docrob:

"Sin" is the word people use to describe things they believe God disapproves of, nothing more. It is not a real thing or something you could put your hands on or look at. My definition of homosexuality is of no consequence. Homosexuality is a difference in sexual preference, nothing more.

The normal place people look for fulfillment is in things like money, houses, cars, jobs, etc. But, I believe the more complicated and stressful our lives get, the more we see it is all meaningless to seek after these things. That is why I believe the technological growth and advances, the complicated nature of things, the "global" community, have added to the confusion, but will push us to a simpler existence, a return to the basics eventually.

The Biblical concept of sin is not so much doing what God disapproves of, it is missing the mark, or falling short of what God expects. Homosexuality falls within this definition of sin.

I can agree with the fact that the things people often seek for fulfillment are "false gods." I am not sure why the rest of your assertion holds. One thing you said before, that good and bad are both sides of the same coin . . . can you define the coin?

wickwoman

Dear Docrob:

The coin is our life. It is made up of joy and sorrow. And, to try to weed out the good from the bad, we lose the stuff that is used to teach us.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Dread Helm said:
It's all, like, good wicky! Like, Peace out dude, I think i'm gonna, like, fall over from that overdose, dude! But Listen to this dude, it's like all profound, dude... :rolleyes:

Dude, do you take this dude to be your lawfully wedded dude?
I Dude!

Opps, wrong thread dude.....

wickwoman

On Fire said:
Got any dates for aroma therapy?

I believe it was invented by rock concert goers in the 60's: "Man, what's that smell, smells like burning hair . . . cccccccoooooooooolllllllll. mmmmmmmmmaaaaaaannnnn. I feel so dreamy.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
wickwoman said:
Hi Kevin. This is a very old thread. And I was freshly interest in Buddhism. But, it's still relevant. You said:

The idea is that both good and bad circumstances are just what is. And what is, is the best teacher we have. We regard all dharmas as one. That is, they all come from the same source and are the stuff that we are made of. So, we do not sit down and sift the good from the bad. We realize that good and bad are opposite sides of the same coin.

wickwoman,
My point about your post violating karma was this....you said that events don't happen TO us, they just happen. That was what I was thinking went against the teaching of karma. I thought karma said that things DO happen TO you and what happens TO you depends on what you do to others. But I can still see what you are saying. Nice insights.

As far as my definition of sin? I tried to be careful to not use my Christian definition of sin because I knew you'd ask that. That is why I said not the Christian moral code, but the sins that are generally common to every moral code whether you are christian, buddhist, atheist, etc...Therefore I would include violence but not include homosexuality in this discussion.

But, it is my opinion that awareness is on the increase and it is in proportion to the dissatisfaction people have with their lives. As dissatisfaction increases, people will begin to look outside the norms to find fulfillment.
I agree. People do seem to be searching for something more and spirituality (not in a christian sense) is more common.

Kevin