Is White Privilege Real?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I was wondering if he'd be able to see past the yarmulke.
Oh yeah, all those devil Jews too.

Cru doesn't support anyone unless they are men that are a sexually promiscuous, drug using, out of work wuss that blames women for their own shortcomings, like he is.
Those "devils" made him to do those things.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
You're actually around 2.5 times as likely to be killed by a police officer if you're black. Source: Chicago Tribune, July 11, 2016

I thought you liked your FBI statistics?

All of a sudden their wrong though, right :rolleyes:

According to the 2015​
FBI hate crime statistics, the latest available, there were 613 anti-white-related crimes out of 5,850 total cases. That's around 10.5 percent of all reported hate crimes, and within the yearly average, federal numbers show.

When a hate crime against blacks is a Dairy Queen employee shouting racist slurs to a customer, whereas a hate crime against whites is holding a mother and son hostage before preceding to orally rape them, have them swallow chemicals, and murder them, then well..

you get the picture.
Guess which one made national headlines, and which one didn't get passed local news :wave2:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I thought you liked your FBI statistics?

All of a sudden their wrong though, right :rolleyes:

As reported in the Chicago Tribune, Jan. 6, 2017:
There wasn't a conflict. You just don't read very well, I suppose. The first was speaking to the likelihood of a black man being shot by police. The second dealt with racially motivated crimes.

When a hate crime against blacks is a Dairy Queen employee shouting racist slurs to a customer, whereas a hate crime against whites is holding a mother and son hostage before preceding to orally rape them, have them swallow chemicals, and murder them, then well..
No, my irrational one. Cherry picking one end of the spectrum for blacks and a grotesque other end for whites only illustrates your problem...well, some of it.

you get the picture.
Guess which one made national headlines, and which one didn't get passed local news
Prove it.

Selaphiel

glassjester said:
I've met too many good black people to believe that adherence to (or rejection of) an obviously destructive value system is not an individual choice.

I did not claim that individual choice is irrelevant. But individual choice as a will fully separated from circumstances is a myth. The fact is that most white people have a far easier starting point due to social circumstances. If you watch a series like "The Wire" (yes, it is fiction, but it is fiction based on reality), do you really think that "he or she made a bad individual choice" explains the fate of the characters in the Baltimore projects? Some escape, but the majority are bound by their circumstances and lose their fights. And obviously not all black people come from the same circumstances.

But is that what you're saying is unintentionally happening? White people are keeping non-white people down?

Prejudice are holding them down.

Is this also the only escape from "ghetto" culture?

Insofar as we need to dismantle social structures that create ghettos. Placing the blame solely on the will of the inhabitants of ghettos for their circumstances is the opposite of that

glassjester

I did not claim that individual choice is irrelevant. But individual choice as a will fully separated from circumstances is a myth. The fact is that most white people have a far easier starting point due to social circumstances. If you watch a series like "The Wire" (yes, it is fiction, but it is fiction based on reality), do you really think that "he or she made a bad individual choice" explains the fate of the characters in the Baltimore projects?

So to what degree do personal choices actually contribute to upward mobility? And what's your evidence?

Some escape, but the majority are bound by their circumstances and lose their fights.

How did the escapees get out?

Prejudice are holding them down.

Evidence?

Insofar as we need to dismantle social structures that create ghettos.

Alright, how?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
applied by authority, either explicitly or implicitly

and instead of the tack others have been taking by pointing to the smoke of statistics and demanding that there must be a fire, show me a fire
I still think that is too narrow. Take a look at what TB posted earlier in the thread about jobs. More call backs for white-sounding names. It looks like that study was from Chicago and Boston. Do you think those results were because of management's explicit or implicit direction? I don't.

Also, my initial questioning in this thread was about a more innocent way that I think white people could be privileged. I asked about opportunities that people may get that aren't completely because they earned it but because of their connections or situation. Here are a couple examples that I have in mind from my own life. The place where I work has (or used to have) summer positions that were mostly filled by high-schoolers or maybe college people too. My sister worked there and helped me get into that position. I then worked there through high-school, college, and eventually got a FT position which I'm still in. By "helped" I don't mean that she hired me, or even that I got the job solely because of being related to her. But without that connection it's likely I wouldn't have gotten it. I think it was relatively common for these summer positions to be filled by kids of other employees. Another example is that I lived at home longer than many people. I commuted to college and then when I did get a FT job I stayed at home and saved until I could purchase a house. I was able to put down 20% down so I already have a significant amount of equity in the house. Granted some people could stay at home as long as I did but would choose not to because they want the independence, but I also think others wouldn't have that opportunity.

I think benefits that people get that they don't work for can be underestimated. I recommend Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell on the topic. People tend to help others in their circle. And in my experience circles are mostly racially uniform. And with the discriminatory history that we have whites are the majority in positions of stability and power. Helping your own isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does mean that those on the outside have to work harder to make progress.

I'm OK with the term 'white privilege' but maybe that could be changed because of what it might imply. White privilege doesn't mean that no white person struggles. It doesn't mean that white people are getting what they have because of their whiteness. Appalachia is a common example of entrenched white poverty. Maybe you could say that there is an inertia that works against those at the bottom of society and that it affects blacks more than whites because of our history.

In this post I'm not denying that there are also explicit or implicit biases, like in hiring or the legal system, but I don't think that is the only way to see how 'white privilege' may come about.

ClimateSanity

Would you call Russia our friend? A neutral party?

They are not out to destroy us. They are not an ally yet. Our sanctions against them are in condemnation for crimea which is not our national interest...purely global. Discussing such things is not treasonous. Obama only had a few more weeks in office. His policy is not in view here. Russia wanted to know Trumps attitude toward those sanctions and that is reasonable a d not dangerous.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
i think it's telling that town thinks there's a difference
I'd hope so. I don't tend to feel my way into or out of positions. I suspect that people who do, who are largely led by their emotions, will tend to ascribe that quality to others, assume it out of hand. Beyond that, I'd understand if someone who was black was hurt by the n-word, or someone Jewish wounded by the use of an epithet or a Nazi symbol painted on their temple. There's an intimate and personal connection in it that has to be understood.

it puts the "redskins" thread in a whole new light
Where I find your obsession with how I think and what I post telling, and that you're still thinking about a fairly old post/thread in the scheme of things.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I'd hope so. I don't tend to feel my way into or out of positions.

of course you do

you're either too retarded to recognize it or you're operating in a state of self-delusion

self-delusion is, after all, a chronic trait of the mentally disordered liberal mind - witness the deluded way they bought into the lie of "hope and change" nine years ago

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
of course you do
To those playing at home, that's Sod trying to set up what comes next. Though when you consider it, which is more than he'll ever manage, the strain of going...eight words before the first spittle flecked unburdening must have been monumental.

you're either too retarded
And he's off (either).

I omit repeating what wasn't really worth reading the first time.

Last edited by ok doser; Today at
03:24 PM.

And that, folks, was the best he could muster AFTER an edit. :plain: No, really. He edited that.

Last edited:

Arthur Brain

of course you do

you're either too retarded to recognize it or you're operating in a state of self-delusion

self-delusion is, after all, a chronic trait of the mentally disordered liberal mind - witness the deluded way they bought into the lie of "hope and change" nine years ago

To obsessively stalk and troll other posters to the point of distraction is a sign of emotional retardation , and that word is legitimate in its use here and not the puerile insult variety.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
To those playing at home, that's Sod trying to set up what comes next. Though when you consider it, which is more than he'll ever manage, the strain of going...eight words before the first spittle flecked unburdening must have been monumental.

And he's off (either).

I omit repeating what wasn't really worth reading the first time.

And that, folks, was the best he could muster AFTER an edit. :plain: No, really. He edited that.

that was a "witty" and "clever" rebuttal :thumb:

no really - it was - did you have your son write it?

now, if you'd like to return to the topic under discussion - the difference between "being offended" and "having hurt feelings", i would draw your attention to one of my favorite resources, the good people at oxford:

Definition of offend in English:

offend
verb

1with object Cause to feel upset, annoyed, or resentful.

now, at the risk of offending your easily hurt feelings, i suggest that you stop being such a retard :)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
that was a "witty" and "clever" rebuttal :thumb:
Well, at least you can recognize it. :plain: So that's something.

no really - it was - did you have your son write it?
You should probably not drag my son into your personal problems in any way.

now, if you'd like to return to the topic under discussion - the difference between "being offended" and "having hurt feelings", i would draw your attention to one of my favorite resources, the good people at oxford:
I used it, to note Merriam Webster, as that which causes dislike, as I noted in contrasting it with strong feeling.

No go find something else to blather about that has nothing to do with anything outside of your demonstrable obsession with every word I write around here.