Is White Privilege Real?

kmoney

Hall of Fame

http://lancasteronline.com/news/pen...cle_14995884-ef0c-11e6-89fc-ab2e1c82ddfb.html

Elizabethtown College student group will wear white puzzle piece pins to think about 'white privilege'

A group of students at one local college is looking to raise awareness about what it means to live with “white privilege.”

The Elizabethtown College Democrats are launching a project Saturday in which they will ask students and others to wear a white puzzle piece pin every day to encourage them to think deeply about how racial identity affects their life, directly or indirectly.

The project was borrowed and adapted from a Lutheran pastor’s similar effort in Wisconsin.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

http://lancasteronline.com/news/pen...cle_14995884-ef0c-11e6-89fc-ab2e1c82ddfb.html

Elizabethtown College student group will wear white puzzle piece pins to think about 'white privilege'

A group of students at one local college is looking to raise awareness about what it means to live with “white privilege.”

The Elizabethtown College Democrats are launching a project Saturday in which they will ask students and others to wear a white puzzle piece pin every day to encourage them to think deeply about how racial identity affects their life, directly or indirectly.

The project was borrowed and adapted from a Lutheran pastor’s similar effort in Wisconsin.

if i wear a white pin, will people do things for me?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

http://lancasteronline.com/news/pen...cle_14995884-ef0c-11e6-89fc-ab2e1c82ddfb.htmlElizabethtown College student group will wear white puzzle piece pins to think about 'white privilege'A group of students at one local college is looking to raise awareness about what it means to live with “white privilege.”The Elizabethtown College Democrats are launching a project Saturday in which they will ask students and others to wear a white puzzle piece pin every day to encourage them to think deeply about how racial identity affects their life, directly or indirectly.The project was borrowed and adapted from a Lutheran pastor’s similar effort in Wisconsin.

I think a key idea here is awareness. Chances are, those who are least aware of having white privilege are most likely to argue that there's no such thing.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Get a bunch of white people talking about how privileged they are?

And then what? Go out and give a bunch of black guys small business loans?

What will they actually accomplish?

Rather to understand the defacto privleges you've complacently enjoyed and subseqently taken as the norm is not experienced universally. Perhaps this revelation may change some hearts and minds.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
How much more likely are men to be shot by the police, than women? Or 20-year-olds compared to 70-year-olds?
You're asking different questions, but you aren't addressing the answer to this one. If you think there's data that women or the elderly or kids get disparate treatment by all means make the case.

Are those differences caused by discrimination?
What differences? You're assuming an undemonstrated correlation. I'm speaking to one actual date.

What were they doing when they were shot by the police?
We know they weren't attacking anyone.

What should those percentages look like?
You'd expect one of two answers. In a perfect world they'd resemble the population. But then, blacks are involved in a disproportionate number of crimes. While it's true that some of that is a distortion founded on the disparate and demonstrated tendencies of prosecutors to bring charges more readily against minorities, specifically blacks, than their white counterparts on the same charges (especially drug related) it's still higher than a representational slice.

So say it might look like the actual statistics on criminal activity. Is it your contention that an 80/10 split is representative and reasonable?

On stop and frisk
And what should those percentages be, and why?
See my above.

Whites were more likely to be carrying contraband?
Yes.

So should the police stop whites more often, based on that fact?
Not necessarily, but it would make more sense. Isn't that the argument so many of you are making on the right when it comes to terrorism and profiling? And the fact that it isn't what's happening, that worse than that it isn't even proportionate, speaks to bias.

If so, should the cops in NYC stop blacks and latinos more often if they are more likely to be carrying contraband?
I'm not advocating profiling. I'm noting troubling statistical truths that don't reflect a reasonable methodology on the part of the police.

What were they arrested for?
I can tell you that studies of arrests, convictions and sentencing show the same sort of disparate treatment when the facts of the case and elements are the same. That's one reason this information didn't particularly surprise me.

Without any details related to the questions above, these statistics don't necessarily indicate a bias.
Simply untrue.

Do you think all racial differences are due to racial discrimination?
That's a peculiar sentence. It's missing pieces. Racial differences isn't the phrasing. Differences in treatment where race is the dissimilar element and the elements of a crime are equally present would by definition be a matter of racial bias.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
i guess you need to explain what you think you mean when you use the term

Are whites in positions of authority and/or status (social, corporate, governmental, etc.) in a proportion greater than their proportion of the population both historically and continuing in the present day? I think the answer to that is a clear yes.