Is White Privilege Real?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Just one? Here's one: White people aren't treated as representatives of their entire race, such that the actions of one are interpreted as the actions of all.

Get your head out of the sand. One example of many:

Netflix Announces New Series 'Dear White People' and Shows Their True Colors

“America needs a new voice of reason. Class begins...”

Netflix is telling us that all white people are out of touch with reality and need to be schooled. All of them. There aren’t any qualifiers here. Every “white person” from Bernie Sanders and Ann Coulter to Donald Trump and Diane Feinstein is out of touch when it comes to black people...more at link

Another:
Since it was uploaded to YouTube on Wednesday, it has been viewed more than 214,000 times. More than 54,000 people gave it "a thumbs down" while just 2,800 reacted positively.

Of the more than 20,000 comments the clip drew, many described it as racist while some users threatened to cancel their Netflix subscription in protest.

Netflix announced a new racist anti-white show called "Dear White People." Would it be OK to make a show called dear black people? No.
— Makada ���� (@_Makada_) February 8, 2017
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2017/...trailer-sparks-backlash-netflix-faces-claims/

Last edited:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
And maybe that is your liberal utopian imagination to keep from acknowledging reality.

I was waiting for my interview and the black interviewer was walking out along with the last person before me to be interviewed (i was slotted last) and even though the interviewer said it quietly, i still heard her, she said to the black woman (both had just looked at me) "Dont worry about her, i take care of the sistas" .

So yes, i am 100 percent positive that was i passed over for being white. It happens all the time, but white don't sue people because of it or riot in the streets and break stuff.

i was denied an offer of a position in an entering med school class back in ...1992 (?) because they hadn't filled their quota for females and minorities

meh :idunno: turned out for the better

glassjester

unanswered post 149:

which privileges are those?

be precise and succinct

if you read them, you ought to be able to provide some high points

:think: you didn't read them, did you?

I read them. Not very compelling.

I would be sincerely willing and interested, however, to hear TH's re-telling of the most convincing evidence presented in his links.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
And maybe that is your liberal utopian imagination to keep from acknowledging reality.

I was waiting for my interview and the black interviewer was walking out along with the last person before me to be interviewed (i was slotted last) and even though the interviewer said it quietly, i still heard her, she said to the black woman (both had just looked at me) "Dont worry about her, i take care of the sistas" .
You should have sued for discriminatory practice. If someone is stupid enough to say that where you could hear it (instead of simply assuring the woman of color in her office that she was going to be taken care of) then it's a safe bet that wasn't her first rodeo and there could be a paper trial of habit.

So yes, i am 100 percent positive that was i passed over for being white. It happens all the time, but white don't sue people because of it or riot in the streets and break stuff.
Mostly it works the other way. Blacks only make up around 12% of the population. Of those who are in a position to do what you overheard, if all of them were similarly motivated, the rule would still be something else. And, in point of fact, the tendency toward favoritism runs the other way, even among minorites. I linked to an article that referenced a study on bus drivers, white and black, and how both appreciably gave breaks to whites over blacks. Even identically dressed soldiers or businessmen ran into it. So you caught a little of what happens more routinely and has historically to blacks, who mostly interview with white people for jobs under other white people. You had the opportunity for a real insight into the stupidity of racially motivated hiring practices. But worse than that is the less thought-out tendency of people to simply read-in a superiority to whites over blacks and lighter skinned blacks over darker skinned blacks and without any conscious effort make a racially weighted choice.

"White privilege" is a made up thing to make blacks look like victims to them.
You're wrong and there are enough studies on the point (I linked to a couple of articles that referenced a few) that there's no excuse for you to hold that ignorant an opinion, but you've already proven you're invested in clinging to that mindset and given a chance to speak to and examine your bias you won't.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I read them. Not very compelling.

I would be sincerely willing and interested, however, to hear TH's re-telling of the most convincing evidence presented in his links.
Where I'd be interested in hearing why you found them uncompelling. What in particular? I did a bit of looking for you and gave you another advance, my own, along with some statistical data to consider. I'd like to see your thinking on that as well.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
You're wrong and there are enough studies on the point

No there isn't. There is biased nonsense that ignores the real reasons why blacks aren't doing as well as whites.

Legitimate, rational, and even self-evident reasons.

There is no rational basis for 'white privilege'- you're all just a bunch of damn idiots stigmatizing white people for being successful.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Where I'd be interested in hearing why you found them uncompelling. What in particular? I did a bit of looking for you and gave you another advance, my own, along with some statistical data to consider. I'd like to see your thinking on that as well.

instead of giving him an "advance" (whatever goofy thing you mean by that), why not just stop playing games and give him what he's asking for?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
According to Town Heretic, there is no such thing as: demeaning white people
It's possible to demean people who are white, but I believe you'd be hard pressed to demean many because they're white. Give a few examples of what you have in mind. But lose the "according to Town Heretic".

making comedy of white people
You're really just continuing your habit of making crap up, aren't you? White people have been lampooned a good bit. Eddie Murphy was beloved by blacks and whites for doing it.

, or desensitizing others to problems white people face in the media :rolleyes:
Because we mostly run the media and our problems tend to be problems of privilege and power, when considered as a whole.

American History X was directed by a Jew- I mean go figure.
Powerful film. You think it should have been directed by a racist instead?

Who's the odd one out in that movie? Not the black gangs taking over and killing innocent people, or illegals sabotaging businesses- it's the white guy with a swastika who really was the victim from the get go
You didn't really understand that movie, did you.

glassjester

Alright, you choose your favorite, and I'll comment.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
No there isn't. There is biased nonsense that ignores the real reasons why blacks aren't doing as well as whites.

Legitimate, rational, and even self-evident reasons.

There is no rational basis for 'white privilege'- you're all just a bunch of damn idiots stigmatizing white people for being successful.
No, you're just a guy yelling at facts and people who present them because you can't approach either objectively and aren't interested in either the education or self-examination that could lead you out of the bias that blinds you. You'd have to understand how peer reviewed, bias filtered inquiry works and why it is reliable, that sort of thing. You don't want to know.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Alright, you choose your favorite, and I'll comment.
Well, I gave you an argument to consider and a number of sources to reflect on...I meant to hear your particular thoughts on them, or at least on my particular thoughts and the statistical data as a point of entry into a serious conversation. So begin with what I wrote you directly. It's a good enough place to start getting into particulars.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
It's possible to demean people who are white, but I believe you'd be hard pressed to demean many because they're white. Give a few examples of what you have in mind. But lose the "according to Town Heretic".

All things in media directed towards whites is to either stigmatize them with guilt for being white or make cracks at their culture to make them less appealing.

You didn't really understand that movie, did you.

I understand that the white guy pays the piper for reacting to the injustice around him more so than anyone else, and that the Nazi cause was applied to him to limit the audience's compassion.

If he were not a racist, the audience would have considered everyone else evil. But they didn't- instead black men ought to be shown compassion and illegals felt sorry for.

It's a good movie as ling as you simply don't apply it to reality :rolleyes:

quip

BANNED
Banned

No one is claiming that whites never get discriminated againt. You've never had to deal with systematic discrimination on a daily or such a widespread basis.

That's why this experienced is so poignant to you...its such an affront to your normal way of life.
Now simply take that anger and frustration and empathise with minorities who deal with a white-bred good 'ol boy system practically daily.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
No, you're just a guy yelling at facts and people who present them because you can't approach either objectively and aren't interested in either the education or self-examination that could lead you out of the bias that blinds you. You'd have to understand how peer reviewed, bias filtered inquiry works and why it is reliable, that sort of thing. You don't want to know.

Nah.

What you have are people making racist conclusions from statistics.

You look at poverty and say 'white privilege!'. You don't say '70% fatherless household'.
There is a higher rate of two-parent white families in poverty, at that.

These are facts that deduce a reality, your agendas simply gather statistics and dumb it all down to racism or sexism. Like your 'male privilege'- myriads of evidence show that women are more privileged than men, but as I've stated and as you've done, you make presumptions from statistics :rolleyes:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
All things in media directed towards whites is to either stigmatize them with guilt for being white or make cracks at their culture to make them less appealing.
You can't begin to make that case. Try it. Most of the successful characters you're going to see on on television are white. Television has done a better job in recent years of representing minorities in more than simply supportive roles, but from newscasts to serial television, the landscape is still largely white and affirmational, especially in terms of presenting authority.

I understand that the white guy pays the piper for reacting to the injustice around him more so than anyone else
That sounds serious. What does it mean? Whites pay what price and in what way do they react to injustice more than others? I'm looking for specifics to support your broad brush. Show me how that's true in logical parts.

, and that the Nazi cause was applied to him to limit the audience's compassion.
Well, no. The whole film is about where the hatred of ignorant people comes from and how it warps, perverts, and destroys even what the racist loves.

If he were not a racist, the audience would have considered everyone else evil. But they didn't- instead black men ought to be shown compassion and illegals felt sorry for.
You're so blinded by your hostility you can't even watch a movie that has something to say to you about its origins and chains. Remarkable.

It's a good movie as ling as you simply don't apply it to reality
I thought it struggled to connect the dots on Derek's transformation. The prison sequences could have been better strung together, though part of Derek's humanizing through close contact/exposure to someone he's been conditioned to hate and see as something lower was a nice touch. I've heard a number of people who would admit to racist tendencies in their youth say that military experience changed their view. My father was a pitcher for the Navy. He'd been indifferent to the race question until his service, but the experience changed that for him. The film was also good at presenting the notion of a surrounding hostile tribalism of racial politics and the hypocrisy that tied those factions together by necessity.

Arthur Brain

According to Town Heretic, there is no such thing as: demeaning white people, making comedy of white people, or desensitizing others to problems white people face in the media :rolleyes:

No Dave Chapelle, Soul Plane, White Girls, Dear White People, White Privilege, anon anon.

American History X was directed by a Jew- I mean go figure. Who's the odd one out in that movie? Not the black gangs taking over and killing innocent people, or illegals sabotaging businesses- it's the white guy with a swastika who really was the victim from the get go :freak:

Wow, if that's the message you got from 'American History X' then you should really avoid a career as a film critic...

:freak:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Nah. What you have are people making racist conclusions from statistics.
No, that just tells me you aren't actually looking at the data. When it notes white people making racist, negative assumptions about black people and when I note studies demonstrating the way even minorities view them largely, it's not creating a racist statement, it's recognizing the objective power of race in influencing choice.

glassjester