Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

Timotheos

You are the one who questioned whether I have read your beliefs.

The scriptures speak about LIFE TO OUR SPIRITS. The scriptures also say our spirits cannot die by the hands of men; and, that Jesus preached the gospel to the spirits of those who died long ago.

You said you believe what the Bible says. When I showed you other things the Bible says, you only wanted me to read what you believe.

You prove you do not only believe what the Bible teaches.

The verse you posted didn't say what you said it said.

God's Truth

John 3:16?

That scripture says God so loved the world.

God love 'us' is in general.

God does not even know you unless you love Him, and we love God by obeying.

1 Corinthians 8:3 But whoever loves God is known by God.

1 John 5:3 In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome,

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
what is essential.....

what is essential.....

Dear freelight,

No, I would not condemn my children to such. Jesus said we all must be like children to enter heaven, so all of the children, even certain adults, are safe and go to heaven.

But you insist that God will roast his children forever and ever to no end. This is insanity, let alone a blight against the good, wise and merciful nature of 'God'.

I've noticed that the NKJV doesn't translate well, especially Isaiah 45:7. My KJV has a nice center reference also.

The NJKV does just fine, an improvement of the KJV in various ways. We might also note that the KJV is NOT the most accurate translation that exists, so I beg to differ with the 'KJV-only' folks.

Yes, it is a parable, but in Rev. 19:20, it says that those who received the mark of the beast were thrown in the lake of fire and Rev. 20:10 says that the beast, false prophet and Satan shall be there forever.

I believe we've already covered that the greek word 'aion' refers to an 'age' or indefinite period of time, and does not necessarily mean a never ending duration of time. Hence the term 'forever and ever' in the English language does not approximate the true meaning of the original language.

Honest Questions and Answers about 'Hell'

They are His children, believe it or not. So were Hitler, Mussolini, even Pharoah of Egypt, or Khomeini or bin Laden. I would think that God, being as huge-hearted as He is, will send very few to the lake of fire, since they will be judged according to their works and also, man against Satan is hardly a fair match. So I'm sure God will take that into plenty of consideration. I see that if Hell is giving up those that are in it, then many of those in Hell could be forgiven. Only God knows.

All comes under the ultimacy and government of God's eternal justice and mercy, mediated by his eternal love and wisdom. Can anyone fathom his infinite love? Who can measure it?

And there is no mention of it all being a different time for each soul to spend in the Lake of Fire as if it were jail.

But note that according to the law of compensation (karma)...each will only suffer the penalty for his own sins, not more or less severe, and will owe the debt that is commensurate to the crime committed, having to 'do time' only in proportion to that sin, for such is the law in its perfect fairness, measure for measure. Again we call this 'karmic inter-action'...the 'law of compensation'; 'law of justice', 'cause/effect', 'law of self-responsibility', etc. - it all refers back to 'action' which is what 'karma' means, and its accompanying effects.

'Fire' is also a metaphor or symbol for the purifying flame of God's holy presence, which incinerates or transforms all that is not of God into only pure God-substance, where all the dross is burned away, leaving on the pure gold of divinity, or divine potential of the soul intact. Does he not baptize us in the holy spirit and fire? - such is a regenerating/revitalizing/purifying flame!

Also, those who turn many to righteousness Shall BE as the stars forever and ever. (Daniel 12:3). You can bet on it.

Yes, the light of truth and justice blazes on forever.

There is no problem unless you feel you are not keeping His commandments, which are your works. Loving God, and loving each other are the most important. The others fall into place here and there.

Aumen. The law is love itself, the fundamental principle behind all relations. It is primary (first principle), while all else is secondary (relative).

"Love God and your brother as you love and value yourself". - "Do this and you will live (have eternal life, by satisfying the law).

Thanks for your time and letting me bend your ear some.

To 'see' and 'hear' is everything. A pure heart is indispensable with a receptive spirit. - this is why only the pure in heart see 'God'. Purity enables true 'seeing', and it arises from the essence of pure 'being'.

pj

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
But you insist that God will roast his children forever and ever to no end. This is insanity, let alone a blight against the good, wise and merciful nature of 'God'.

The NJKV does just fine, an improvement of the KJV in various ways. We might also note that the KJV is NOT the most accurate translation that exists, so I beg to differ with the 'KJV-only' folks.

I believe we've already covered that the greek word 'aion' refers to an 'age' or indefinite period of time, and does not necessarily mean a never ending duration of time. Hence the term 'forever and ever' in the English language does not approximate the true meaning of the original language.

Honest Questions and Answers about 'Hell'

All comes under the ultimacy and government of God's eternal justice and mercy, mediated by his eternal love and wisdom. Can anyone fathom his infinite love? Who can measure it?

But note that according to the law of compensation (karma)...each will only suffer the penalty for his own sins, not more or less severe, and will owe the debt that is commensurate to the crime committed, having to 'do time' only in proportion to that sin, for such is the law in its perfect fairness, measure for measure. Again we call this 'karmic inter-action'...the 'law of compensation'; 'law of justice', 'cause/effect', 'law of self-responsibility', etc. - it all refers back to 'action' which is what 'karma' means, and its accompanying effects.

'Fire' is also a metaphor or symbol for the purifying flame of God's holy presence, which incinerates or transforms all that is not of God into only pure God-substance, where all the dross is burned away, leaving on the pure gold of divinity, or divine potential of the soul intact. Does he not baptize us in the holy spirit and fire? - such is a regenerating/revitalizing/purifying flame!

Yes, the light of truth and justice blazes on forever.

Aumen. The law is love itself, the fundamental principle behind all relations. It is primary (first principle), while all else is secondary (relative).

"Love God and your brother as you love and value yourself". - "Do this and you will live (have eternal life, by satisfying the law).

To 'see' and 'hear' is everything. A pure heart is indispensable with a receptive spirit. - this is why only the pure in heart see 'God'. Purity enables true 'seeing', and it arises from the essence of pure 'being'.

pj

Dear freelight,

I didn't say God will roast most of His children in the lake of fire. Only those whom He chooses, which happens to be Lucifer, Satan, the beast/antichrist, the false prophet, and the 666 who listened to the antichrist and received the mark of the beast, and certain others. If God wants to do it, like He says, it shall be. Why should the grievous sinners receive the same reward as the righteous. It makes no sense whatsoever. What are you so afraid of? I don't believe in karma as much as I believe in reconciliation for sins.

You seem to want to change the meanings of words to suit yourself. All I've done was quote the KJV scriptures. I'm aware that others books use different words, but God and Jesus use the word evil in the KJV and that's the Bible I go by. God will set us straight when we meet Him. He will tell me I'm wrong or you you're wrong.

I'm not going to keep arguing back and forth with you about things I've already explained myself on. If you don't like His ECT, then pray to Him about it. Not me. He created evil or calamities, or whatever you want to call it, but He created mortal evil also, because the devil surely didn't create it. God created everything. I don't want you to keep rehashing things we've already spoken about and I've explained my position on. I also don't want to post on this thread. It's too long and slow.

Last edited:

Ben Masada

I just believe what the Bible says.
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
The wicked shall perish, the wicked shall be no more.
All who believe in him shall not perish but will have eternal life.
The way is wide that leads to destruction, the way is narrow that leads to life.
The soul who sins shall die, but when a wicked person turns away from his sins, he shall surely live, he shall not die.

I believe the NT is wrong because death is not the wage of sin but of having been born. Many babies die without having ever had time to sin.

And for eternal life, that's a gift God never granted to man. On the contrary, man was banished out of the Garden of Eden in order not to eat of the tree of life and live forever. (Gen. 3:22) And the evidence that eternal life does not come as a result of believing in Jesus is the fact that we all die, believers or not. Even Jesus himself died.

If the soul who sins shall die it means that no one can die for the sins of another. (Jeremiah 31:30) Therefore, Jesus did not die for our sins.

Aimiel

I believe the NT is wrong because death is not the wage of sin but of having been born. Many babies die without having ever had time to sin.
Each child is born to sinners... therefore: they are subject to death.
And for eternal life, that's a gift God never granted to man. On the contrary, man was banished out of the Garden of Eden in order not to eat of the tree of life and live forever. (Gen. 3:22) And the evidence that eternal life does not come as a result of believing in Jesus is the fact that we all die, believers or not. Even Jesus himself died.
He submitted Himself to death, even though He never sinned. Because of that mis-carriage of justice, He is able to swap His Life for our death.
If the soul who sins shall die it means that no one can die for the sins of another. (Jeremiah 31:30) Therefore, Jesus did not die for our sins.
Jesus died, and it was our sins that caused His death.

God's Truth

That's morally contemptible. If you support such a concept, you need some help.

We do not live in our flesh forever because Adam sinned. That is why we die. We are all sinners. If you have been born and die before you sin, it does not mean there was a chance for you to live and never sin.

God's Truth

Jeremiah 31:30 is about earthly things. Jesus dying for our sins is about Spiritual things.

Jesus is God come in the flesh.

The old law was about earthy man. The new law is about spiritual man.

The old law said to be circumcised in the flesh, as a sign of faith. This is a teaching, a shadow, of what was coming, Jesus Christ. We are circumcised in the heart with the Holy Spirit as our sign of faith.

The old law said to observe special days. All those special days are about Jesus. Jesus came and we worship and observe him, not days.

The old law said to adhere to the dietary laws. The dietary laws are about a people being separate unto to God. Through Jesus all can come to God, and we are to separate ourselves from the ways of this world.

The old law said to do various external washings, just to worship God, just to be able to come to the temple. This is a teaching tool, a shadow of what was coming, for faith in Jesus’ blood cleanses us, and we are the temple of the living God.

The old law said to sacrifice animals, it was a teaching tool, it is a shadow of Jesus Christ, for Jesus is our Lamb of God.

Through Jesus, the punishment laws are no more, for we have mercy and forgiveness through Jesus Christ.

Jesus fulfilled the prophets’ means all the prophets prophesied about Jesus, and everything they said about him, he fulfilled.

xAvarice

BANNED
Banned
We do not live in our flesh forever because Adam sinned. That is why we die. We are all sinners. If you have been born and die before you sin, it does not mean there was a chance for you to live and never sin.

If we're all sinners yet we can get to heaven anyway - why be good? Just rape and murder until you're old and then apologise.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

Luke and Matthew both tell us the law was until John. With John came the introduction and the preachng of the kingdom of God, which is not based on Mosaic law. Therefore Jeremiah's statement is not applicable to John, Jesus, and no one else including you. But you need not be concerned about dying for someone else, that has been taken care of for you.

Ben, if you are ever going to learn anything about the NT you need to learn this.

I have sworn by Myself, the word has gone out of My mouth in righteousness and shall not return, that to Me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall take an oath. (Isaiah 45:23)

For it is written, "As I live, says the LORD, every knee shall bow to Me and every tongue shall confess to God." (Romans 14:11)​

As you can see Isaiah says there will be a resurrection and Paul says that Jesus Christ is the God of the OT.

A day is coming when you will bow to Jesus Christ, it is inevitable, it is prophesied, it will be. Why not start today ackowledging that Jesus is the Christ?

God's Truth

If we're all sinners yet we can get to heaven anyway - why be good? Just rape and murder until you're old and then apologise.
We are to believe in Jesus, have faith in what his blood does for us. We are to confess our sins, and repent of them; repenting of sins means to be sorry for them and to stop doing them. We also then live our new lives obeying Jesus. We have the Holy Spirit to comfort us, to fill our hearts with God's love.

These are no small things. Just think of the condition of the heart that does not want to be humble and submit to God. Think of the condition of anyone's heart that humbles itself and submits to God. It is as different as darkness and light.

Timotheos

That scripture says God so loved the world.

God love 'us' is in general.

God does not even know you unless you love Him, and we love God by obeying.

1 Corinthians 8:3 But whoever loves God is known by God.

1 John 5:3 In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome,

And the rest of John 3:16?

Aimiel

Galatians 6:7
Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

Ive told you before its not about being 'good' its about receiving His will and trusting in Him/ His ways, one who received His will for their life isnt going to be raping and murdering.

Tell me also how you know when you will die, to have time to later "apologize" and why you think God would not know the difference between between a sincere repentant heart and one that wasnt?