Is the age of the Earth connected to Jesus' second coming?

S-word

BANNED
Banned
Your imagination isn't a very convincing argument.

The Bible says the Earth was made in six days and there is no reason to believe it did not happen about 6,000 years ago.

SARCASIM.

Of course the earth was made in six 24 hour days, 6,000 years ago, what would those dumb scientists know? They even reckon that the earth is a sphere, good heavens everyone knows that the earth is Flat, and that its the centre of all that exists. We know that the entire cosmos that was created by some nameless alien life form, some 10 thousand years ago revolves around our flat earth, don't we Stripe?

marhig

Your imagination isn't a very convincing argument.

The Bible says the Earth was made in six days and there is no reason to believe it did not happen about 6,000 years ago.
Stripe time to God isn't the same as our time. As it says in the Bible, a day is like a thousand years and a thousand years is like a day in the Lord.

When Jesus said that Abraham rejoiced to see his day, go you think that he meant a literal 24 hour day?

6days

Stripe time to God isn't the same as our time. As it says in the Bible, a day is like a thousand years and a thousand years is like a day in the Lord.

When Jesus said that Abraham rejoiced to see his day, go you think that he meant a literal 24 hour day?
In the English language, how do you know what anyone is talking about, if words just mean anything you want? It's the same in Hebrew...we understand the meaning of words by CONTEXT.
Ex. 'In my fathers day, it took 3 days of walking during the day to get to the city'.
See... I used the word 'day' 3 times...all with different meanings but you were able to understand each by CONTEXT.
Likewise with the word 'yom' in Hebrew, we understand the meaning in Genesis 1 as what we call a 24 day because of CONTEXT. Check out the hundreds of times the word is used outside of Gen.1 in the OT... Do you think Jonah was in the fish 3,000 years? No...So why be silly with Genesis and reject good exegetical interpretation?

James Barr, Professor of Hebrew Bible at Vanderbilt University, former Regius Professor of Hebrew at Oxford.
"Probably, so far as I know, there is no professor of Hebrew or Old Testament at any world-class university who does not believe that the writer(s) of Genesis 1-11 intended to convey to their readers the ideas that (a) creation took place in a series of six days which were the same as the days of 24 hours we now experience; .. Or, to put it negatively, the apologetic arguments which suppose the "days" of creation to be long eras of time, the figures of years not to be chronological, and the flood to be a merely local Mesopotamian flood, are not taken seriously by any such professors, as far as I know.".

MartinLuther
"When Moses writes that God created heaven and earth and whatever is in them in six days, then let this period continue to have been six days, and do not venture to devise any comment according to which six days were one day. But if you cannot understand how this could have been done in six days, then grant the Holy Spirit the honor of being more learned than you are. For you are to deal with Scripture in such a way that you bear in mind that God Himself says what is written. But since God is speaking, it is not fitting for you wantonly to turn His Word in the direction you wish to go."

marhig

In the English language, how do you know what anyone is talking about, if words just mean anything you want? It's the same in Hebrew...we understand the meaning of words by CONTEXT.
Ex. 'In my fathers day, it took 3 days of walking during the day to get to the city'.
See... I used the word 'day' 3 times...all with different meanings but you were able to understand each by CONTEXT.
Likewise with the word 'yom' in Hebrew, we understand the meaning in Genesis 1 as what we call a 24 day because of CONTEXT. Check out the hundreds of times the word is used outside of Gen.1 in the OT... Do you think Jonah was in the fish 3,000 years? No...So why be silly with Genesis and reject good exegetical interpretation?

James Barr, Professor of Hebrew Bible at Vanderbilt University, former Regius Professor of Hebrew at Oxford.
"Probably, so far as I know, there is no professor of Hebrew or Old Testament at any world-class university who does not believe that the writer(s) of Genesis 1-11 intended to convey to their readers the ideas that (a) creation took place in a series of six days which were the same as the days of 24 hours we now experience; .. Or, to put it negatively, the apologetic arguments which suppose the "days" of creation to be long eras of time, the figures of years not to be chronological, and the flood to be a merely local Mesopotamian flood, are not taken seriously by any such professors, as far as I know.".

MartinLuther
"When Moses writes that God created heaven and earth and whatever is in them in six days, then let this period continue to have been six days, and do not venture to devise any comment according to which six days were one day. But if you cannot understand how this could have been done in six days, then grant the Holy Spirit the honor of being more learned than you are. For you are to deal with Scripture in such a way that you bear in mind that God Himself says what is written. But since God is speaking, it is not fitting for you wantonly to turn His Word in the direction you wish to go."
God can do anything, but my point is, that a day isn't always a literal 24 hour day in the Bible, a day means different things, as you can see from my last post.

I.e.

1 Thessalonians 5

For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night

6days

And which day do you believe that we are living in today? The sixth day in which God created mankind, or the seventh day of God's rest?
Not sure if you noticed, but the seventh day of the creation week ended long ago. God rested...past tense.

6days

God can do anything, but my point is, that a day isn't always a literal 24 hour day in the Bible, a day means different things, as you can see from my last post.
I agreed with you. But we always understand the meaning from context.
Here is a test... Gen. 2:4 This is the history of the heavens and the earth when they were created, in the day that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens

Does that mean God created everything in just 24 hours? Or in 1000 years?
No... You understand from CONTEXT, that it refers to the time when God created.
NOW... the previous verse... Gen. 2:4 "Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made." Easy to understand from context, isn't it? God is referring to a period of 24 hours same as in Ex.20:11 "For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy."

Dr Peter Barnes, lecturer in church history at the Presbyterian Theological Centre in Sydney said “…if God wanted us to understand the creation week as a literal week, He could hardly have made the point any clearer…. The theological argument is also compelling. According to the Bible, there was no death until there was sin. The creation is cursed only after Adam sinned (cf. Genesis 3; Romans 5:12–21; 8:19–25). This implies that all the fossils of dead animals must date from after Adam’s fall. If there was blood and violence in the creation before Adam sinned, the theological structure of the biblical message would appear to suffer considerable dislocation."

Truster

daqq, nice try, but since the sun is about 4.6 billion years old.

When Adam was created he was 30 years of age. A fully mature man seemingly with a history of growth, but Adam did not go through the birth growth episodes. The earth was also created in maturity and fitted for the use of mankind.
The first sign given at Cana was turning water into wine. This normally passes through a timely process. Messiah declared Himself to be the Creator in bypassing the usual process and turning the water into mature wine.

marhig

I agreed with you. But we always understand the meaning from context.
Here is a test... Gen. 2:4 This is the history of the heavens and the earth when they were created, in the day that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens

Does that mean God created everything in just 24 hours? Or in 1000 years?

No, it means that God created everything in his time, in his day. Not necessarily in one day and not in a thousand years but in his day.

And you can see that the days of creation may not be literal days because God talks about the evening and the morning, where as we go from morning to evening.

God always goes from darkness into light, but flesh always turns light into darkness unless we are born of God.

God works in the darkness and it is made manifest in the light. His creation isn't like how our minds view creation and his mind isn't like our mind. And we can't understand the mind of God unless the spirit reveals it to us.

6days

No, it means that God created everything in his time, in his day. Not necessarily in one day and not in a thousand years but in his day.
Correct... God tells us He created in six days. EVERY...EVERY time in the OT (and in the Hebrew language) when a number is used with the word day... it ALWAYS...ALWAYS refers to what we know as 24 hour days.
Why are you so intent on rejecting what scripture clearly tells us, and ignore the Hebrew grammar?.... "For in six days, God created the heavens and the earth, and everything in them"

The creation days as normal periods of 24 hour days is consistent with the plain reading throughout scripture...and the predominant interpretation of scripture from the time of Jesus... until recently.

marhig

Correct... God tells us He created in six days. EVERY...EVERY time in the OT (and in the Hebrew language) when a number is used with the word day... it ALWAYS...ALWAYS refers to what we know as 24 hour days.
Why are you so intent on rejecting what scripture clearly tells us, and ignore the Hebrew grammar?.... "For in six days, God created the heavens and the earth, and everything in them"

The creation days as normal periods of 24 hour days is consistent with the plain reading throughout scripture...and the predominant interpretation of scripture from the time of Jesus... until recently.
I see all of it differently, I don't believe that Adam was the first man either. I just don't see it as you do, and I'm not rejecting it, I said God can do anything, he can create all creation in one day if he wishes to. But I believe Moses is talking in the spirit and with wisdom. As I said the evening as the morning were the first day. God's days are different to ours.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

6days

I see all of it differently, I don't believe that Adam was the first man either.
You seem to believe things quite differently than what God's Word plainly says. And, to arrive at your "different" opinion, you reject Hebrew grammar, exegetical study of scripture and the historical understanding of the church back to the time of Jesus. People who reject "first Adam" as the first man often believe in a different "Last Adam", and a compromised gospel, not connecting the purpose of Jesus physical death to the punishment we deserve for sin. (1Cor. 15)

Atheists seem to understand that if they can get people to reject the historical gospel, they have succeeded in destroying the Gospel. From atheists.org/atheism
"if Adam and Eve and the Talking Snake are myths, then Original Sin is also a myth, right? Well, think about it.
"Jesus’ major purpose was to save mankind from Original Sin. Original Sin makes believers unworthy of salvation, but you get it anyway, so you should be grateful for being saved (from that which does not exist)Without Original Sin, the marketing that all people are sinners and therefore need to accept Jesus falls moot.

"All we are asking is that you take what you know into serious consideration, even if it means taking a hard look at all you’ve been taught for your whole life. No Adam and Eve means no need for a savior. It also means that the Bible cannot be trusted as a source of unambiguous, literal truth. It is completely unreliable, because it all begins with a myth, and builds on that as a basis. No Fall of Man means no need for atonement and no need for a redeemer. You know it."
(Above quote from an atheist)

I said God can do anything, he can create all creation in one day if he wishes to.
Of course! But, if He had created everything in one day, He would not have told us it took Him six days. You are attempting to add secular opinions into scripture, which ultimately destroys the purpose of Christ going to the cross.

WatchmanOnTheWall

Do you sincerely believe that the world is only 6000 years old?

Consider that Earth time was not created on the first day.

Millions of years could have passed before the Sun and Moon were made. History may have started 6000 years ago, but not the creation.

Sent from my iPad using TOL

One of the very first things God created was time itself:

Genesis 1:1
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

The word 'beginning' means that before this moment time did not exist but at this moment there was a beginning to all things that God was creating. At this beginning God also created the three Heavens; The Spiritual, Space and the atmosphere of Earth along with creating the Earth as well - All instantaneously. Time began at this moment which was at the beginning of the first day.

God can do anything, and He does it perfectly.

S-word

BANNED
Banned
Not sure if you noticed, but the seventh day of the creation week ended long ago. God rested...past tense.

Oh, I see, so then, what day are we now living in, according to you, we cannot enter into God's rest. How long do you believe a creative day is? A 24 hour day, a thousand year day, a ten thousand year day, or a cycle of universal activity?

S-word

BANNED
Banned

The word 'beginning' means that before this moment time did not exist but at this moment there was a beginning to all things that God was creating. At this beginning God also created the three Heavens; The Spiritual, Space and the atmosphere of Earth along with creating the Earth as well - All instantaneously. Time began at this moment which was at the beginning of the first day.

And the earth was without form, it had no shape, all that the earth would be created from was pure energy, and it was void, it was without mass then God said; "Let there be light."

This was not the light of our sun, which God did not create until the fourth creative day.

This is the condensed account of creation as recorded in Genesis’.....…”In the beginning God created the universe=heavens, and earth was formless and void and darkness was upon the face of the deep and God’s active force was moving on the face of the waters.* Then God said let there be light.”

Here is the scientific theory of creation........In the beginning, there was the “BIG BANG” which spatially separated the infinitely dense, infinitely hot, infinitesimally small singularity, which event spewed out a liquid like soup of electromagnetic energy in the trillions of degrees, it was from the quantum of that liquid like electromagnetic energy (Waters) that the earth and all the heavenly bodies would be created, and although, all that the earth was created from, was already there in the beginning, the earth at that time had neither shape, which meant it was formless, nor mass=void, and no suns had yet come into existence to light up the darkness of the expanding space.

But there was momentum within that ever cooling cosmic cloud of wave particles which are the quantum of that liquid like electromagnetic energy, which wave particles are not really particles at all, as they have zero mass and no electric charge, yet they carry angular and linear momentum.*One would expect, that those wave particles which are the quantum of the liquid like (Waters) electromagnetic energy, would have continued to expand further and further away from each other in the expansion of the universal building material.

But with the angular momentum of those waves they collided with each other in nuclear fusion in the creation of the first basic molecules. As the universal temperature dropped to some billions of degrees, the dark energy which was the expansion’s acceleration force, began to form into dark matter, hydrogen and helium, with trace quantities of lithium, beryllium, and boron. As the universe expanded and cooled, more hydrogen molecules were formed, and from these, after some thirty million years of attraction, came the formation of the first generation gigantic stars, from which the galaxies would later be created.*

And God said, “Let there be light.” Which was not the light of our sun within this minor solar system within this Milky Way galaxy, which solar system would not be created for some nine billion years after the creation of those first massive stars that lit up the darkness of the bottomless pit.

6days

S-word said:
Oh, I see....

Unfortunately, you don't. You are trying to add secular opinions about deep time... and billions of years of death into God's creation week. *Your addition of death before sin destroys the gospel and the purpose of Christ at the cross. We know from scripture...death enteted the worls through the sin of one man. God tells us He created everything in six days...and rested (past tense) on the seventh day.*

See Gen. 2:3 The english word 'rested' is *is from the Hebrew word 'shabat', meaning finished. God finished his creation week with a day of rest... a model for us as explained in Ex. 20:11

S-word said:
..., according to you, we cannot enter into God's rest.
Believers can enter God's rest; See Hebrews 4. This does not mean we get an eternal weekend as believers. *Heb. 4 obviously *does not mean that the 7th day still continues...in which case everyone would still be living in the 7th day. It is parallism... we can enter into God's rest.*

S-word said:
How long do you believe a creative day is? ...

From Hebrew grammar.... from exegetical study of scripture (context), *from the definition God provides in Genesis 1....from the words of Jesus and various Bible authors...the creation days are what we refer to as 24 hour days.*

6days

S-word said:
And the earth was without form, it had no shape
Yes... God formed and filled the earth over the course of six days.

S-word said:
This is the condensed account of creation as recorded in Genesis’.....…”

The really condensed version is Ex.20:11...'In six days God created the heavens and the earth and everything in them'
S-word said:
Here is the scientific theory of creation........In the beginning, there was the “BIG BANG”

There is no such thing as a scientific theory of creation. That is merely an attempt to compromise God's word with secular opinions. Big Bang Theory contradicts what God tells us in many ways.

S-word said:
which spatially separated the infinitely dense, infinitely hot, infinitesimally small singularity, which event spewed out a liquid like soup of electromagnetic energy in the trillions of degrees
That is a good example of how your non scientific beliefs contradict God's Word.

Our planet was a watery in the beginning, before the stars were created.

keypurr

Earth time did not start on day one. Time is measured in heaven with a longer yardstick friend. God's first creation was not time, it was his son with whom he created all through.

Agree that the world was perfect, notice I said was.

Sent from my iPad using TOL