Is marital rape scripturally defensible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
You have the equation backwards.

All rape involves sex.
Not all sex involves rape.

Therefore
Rape = sex, but sex != rape.

Right, right, but applying rape laws to a marriage doesn't weaken the institution of marriage. You aren't criminalizing sex. You are criminalizing an act of violence against a spouse.

genuineoriginal

Right, right, but applying rape laws to a marriage doesn't weaken the institution of marriage. You aren't criminalizing sex. You are criminalizing an act of violence against a spouse.
A wife goes to the police with this story:

When he ended up falling asleep on her bed, she changed into pajamas and climbed in next to him. Soon, he was putting his arm around her and taking off her clothes. ‘I basically said, “No, I don’t want to have sex with you.” And then he said, “OK, that’s fine” and stopped. . . . And then he started again a few minutes later, taking off my panties, taking off his boxers. I just kind of laid there and didn’t do anything — I had already said no. I was just tired and wanted to go to bed. I let him finish. I pulled my panties back on and went to sleep.’”

Six weeks later, the woman reported that she had been raped.

Should anyone listen to her?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Extroverts. :nono:

Of course, this is something of a paradox. Introverts don't get the girls. you kind of have to be an extrovert to be bold enough to talk to women.

Women should know better! Man up and talk to the guy who's minding his own business and looks, for all intents and purposes, dead to the world!

He's more afraid of you than you are of him. Trust me on this one. :sozo2:
:chuckle:

genuineoriginal

Are you saying that abusing your spouse doesn't violate the command to love one another? :freak:
Are you saying that you don't know how to read good?

I asked where Matthew 7:12, 1 John 3:15, 1 John 4:20, 1 Corinthians 13, and Romans 13:8 mentioned spousal abuse, and never got a good answer.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
A wife goes to the police with this story:

When he ended up falling asleep on her bed, she changed into pajamas and climbed in next to him. Soon, he was putting his arm around her and taking off her clothes. ‘I basically said, “No, I don’t want to have sex with you.” And then he said, “OK, that’s fine” and stopped. . . . And then he started again a few minutes later, taking off my panties, taking off his boxers. I just kind of laid there and didn’t do anything — I had already said no. I was just tired and wanted to go to bed. I let him finish. I pulled my panties back on and went to sleep.’”

Six weeks later, the woman reported that she had been raped.

Should anyone listen to her?

No, and I've said a few times now that I'm not talking about that scenario.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Are you saying that you don't know how to read good?

I asked where Matthew 7:12, 1 John 3:15, 1 John 4:20, 1 Corinthians 13, and Romans 13:8 mentioned spousal abuse, and never got a good answer.

Do you think abusing your spouse is an act of love?

genuineoriginal

No, and I've said a few times now that I'm not talking about that scenario.

This thread is speaking about this:

_____
Sexual ethics: Consent: Present and historical perspectives

From a human rights and international law perspective, consent is a key issue in sexual ethics. Nevertheless, historically, this has not necessarily been the case. Throughout history, a whole range of consensual sexual acts, such as adultery, fornication, interracial or interfaith sex, 'sodomy' (see sodomy laws) have been prohibited; while at the same time various forced sexual encounters such as rape of a slave, prostitute, war enemy, and most notably of a spouse, were not illegal. The criminalization of marital rape is very recent, having occurred during the past few decades, and the act is still legal in many places in the world.
. . .
Enthusiastic consent, as expressed in the slogan "Yes means yes," is typically the focus of liberal sexual ethics, rather than marriage. Under that view passivity, not saying "No," is not consent.
_____​
First, rape is redefined to mean a non-consensual act.
Next, rape is redefined to include sex between a husband and a wife.
Third, rape is redefined to include all sex that in not actively consented to.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Restraint/and forcing sex on another person IS rape ... including those who are married to their victim.

It happens, but is rarely reported due to those members of society who promote the act of rape by bashing the victims.

Status
Not open for further replies.