Is Enyart worshipped like Jesus

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Lighthouse said:
Thus speaketh Mateo.:rolleyes:

Here, Mateo, have a clue: Bob Enyart posts on TOL quite a bit. He is a moderator here. And the only agreement he had for BRVII was that he have the right to publish and sell it. And his agreement included that Zakath have the same right. And, of course, the owners of TOL also have the same right, but that's because they own TOL. They would have had that right, regardless.

Bob has not asked to reserve that right for his other posts. So don't be a tool, Mateo.
Mateo gave me negative rep for this. What a :baby:.

drbrumley

Mateo said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by temple 2000

Not everyone has a concept of God like Mr. Enyart. Is he privy to some information the rest of us are not? Does he and you, his followers, think everybody else is wrong? He says that God is not nice and we shud not be nicer than God. Huh?

Initially I thought maybe the premise of this thread was a bit over stated. It would appear that, at least in this isntance, that it is not.

The utterances of The Bob = the word of God.

Time for an intervention...
What a bonehead. The utterances of The Bob do NOT = the word of God.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
taoist said:
Context is always key. In point of fact, Bob is not popular. He's considered something of a kook even amongst mainstream christians and rather below average even in the fundamentalist community. His show audience, those not of his religious persuasion, tune him in for amusement only. But this website belongs to a member of his congregation, so of course you'll see something of a skew toward his opinions.
Oddly enough, some unbelievers have tuned into his show, and ended up getting saved. There was even a homosexual who thought the Bible meant something other than it said on homosexuality concede that he was wrong, and submit to God, and His truth, after calling in to Bob's show to tell him he was a "sorry excuse for a Christian, and a human."

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Mateo said:
Now, admittedly, the desire for the bad guys to get thier comeupance is something approaching universal. Where I fail miserably is in trying to suggest to some of those who post here that, to one extent or another, we're all bad guys (that is, sinners) and that the God of the Bible is nowhere said to be more tolerant of one sin than the other. So when this site's merry band of would be Homo killers gathers together to do God's work for Him to pillory the next to stumble into thier midst it doesn't seem they recall that this same Bible says that they will be judged in like manner for a much larger laundry list of don'ts...

... one of my personal favorites is hypocracy.
You're a sinner? I thought you were a Christian, set free from sin, and made a slave to righteousness, by the sacrafice of Christ. I apologize for my mistake.

Flipper

Lighthouse said:
Oddly enough, some unbelievers have tuned into his show, and ended up getting saved. There was even a homosexual who thought the Bible meant something other than it said on homosexuality concede that he was wrong, and submit to God, and His truth, after calling in to Bob's show to tell him he was a "sorry excuse for a Christian, and a human."

Hm. And when was the last time that happened, hey?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Flipper said:
Hm. And when was the last time that happened, hey?
I don't know. But I know that at least one person here became a Christian because of Bob's show, and another became a Christian, after being an atheist, after reading Bob's book, The Plot.

temple2006

drbrumley said:
What a bonehead. The utterances of The Bob do NOT = the word of God.

That is what I think too. Somewhere, if I remember correctly, the argument was put forth - "Only the Scriptures------Sola Scriptura". So it follows that everyman for himself and yet you find some posters hanging on every word Bob says and "The Plot" seems to be in the same league as the Bible.

Mateo

temple 2000 said:
That is what I think too. Somewhere, if I remember correctly, the argument was put forth - "Only the Scriptures------Sola Scriptura". So it follows that everyman for himself and yet you find some posters hanging on every word Bob says and "The Plot" seems to be in the same league as the Bible.

Actually, "The Plot" costs quite a bit more to purchase than the Bible. I'm not exactly sure what that says about the worth of what was said by their respective authors,,, and to whom it was spoken... and heard

Last edited:

JoyfulRook

temple 2000 said:
That is what I think too. Somewhere, if I remember correctly, the argument was put forth - "Only the Scriptures------Sola Scriptura".
Yeah that doctrine is called: Stupidity.

JoyfulRook

Mateo said:
Actually, "The Plot" costs quite a bit more to purchase than the Bible. I'm not exactly sure what that says about the worth of what was said by their respective authors,,, and to whom it was spoken... and heard
Maybe you should get it and find out instead of just whining about it here. :think:

beanieboy

Yorzhik said:
But I doubt any position that one would agree with Bob about is believed by blind faith. Can you name the positions that the people you might call an "Enyartite" believe on blind faith? or do they have evidence apart from Bob that shows the position to be correct?

Would you feel better if those that you might call an "Enyartite" would list the things they disagree with Bob about? because we certainly wouldn't want you to be uncomfortable.

I don't have a problem with people agreeing with Bob. Bob states a thesis, then supports it. However, if you look at how he supports it, ie., Jesus called people dogs, so I can call people any filthy name I can come up with, it really is questionable. When you look up the verse, (Jesus' robe is touched by a Gentile. He says, "the master does not take his food from his children to give to the dogs", she responds, "But even the crumbs from the masters table falls to the dogs". He then uses her as an example of strong faith - that even when Jesus pushes her away, she does not go away. ) Now, I don't know how you can take that example, and then think you can use derogatory words to anyone you choose.

He says that Jesus called people vipers and snakes, but he did that to the Pharisees that were actually leading people away from God, while claiming to lead people toward God. For that, they were seen as vipers and poisonous to the soul.

Does anyone weigh that? Usually not. It might effect your rep points.

In conclusion, Enyart's point is that one should not be Nicer than God, and therefore, people freely mock, get angry, and dehumanize just about anyone without thinking about it twice.

I can understand that one should not encourage people to do anything detrimental, nor not speak out when they see a grave wrong, yet to challenge Bob has a huge attack of the clones response.

And the basic idea - that people are being overly nice, and should be more, well, hostile - that alone makes me question. The idea that "Jesus did this, so you should, too" is also very questionable. God killed flooded the world, except for Noah and his family. Who are you killing to be more like God?

Most people talk about the world being cold and uncaring, and Enyart encourages people to be cold and uncaring out of love, to be mocking out of love, and to hate out of love.

He has an article that says that love the sinner, hate the sin, is not biblical, then encourages people to hate the sinner.

The Gospels weren't full of Jesus encouraging people to be more gruff, more mocking, more hateful, but to be more understanding, more humble, more compassionate.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
docrob57 said:
I must agree. I was just beginning the process of sacrificing one of my dogs to Pastor Bob when I read this. I guess it will have to wait for another day.
Tsk, tsk, tsk...

You should know that it's cats, not dogs! I'm glad you saw the error of your ways... ;)

beanieboy

PureX said:
That's a very reasonable comment.

Why do you think that this does not happen with someone like Billy Graham, though? Or does it?

Hm.
I don't think it happens to Billy Graham because he has so much humility. Enyart spends a lot of time debating, or arguing to see who can prove their point, who is right. Graham simply tries to call people to God. I don't think he pretends to be better than others, but acknowledges that he, too, falls short. The whole "o lamb of God, I come" is a very humble song, and people are called out of their own convictions, from the Holy Spirit, as opposed to being called because Billy Graham thinks they are disgusting.

Graham has a less world-view. He doesn't see shock jocks, then ape them to win over the world. I've always questioned that method, like the Church Spectacular that MegaChurches have come up with. It seems to toss aside the sense of holiness for flashiness, and always leaves a strange taste in my mouth, as if that is how far you have to go to sell Jesus.

taoist

Lighthouse said:

Check out the Levitical punishment for failing to attend church. Nope, no hints, check it yourself. Then consider the implications of the Levitical treatment of homsexuality.

Context, I said.

Certainly, you can find members of TOL who have become Christians after listening to Bob's show. My friend Deb aka Crow, for example.

Humankind makes up an incredibly diverse population. Any behavior which can occur, generally does, in smaller or larger proportion. The search for spiritual truths is endemic. I've been through the mill from non-believer to fundamentalist to hard atheist to seeker to Taoist. A study of comparative religions is as essential to defining one's belief as knowledge of a foreign language to one who would understand the grammar of English. One may practice a religion without it, but, from the outside, it's much like looking for wine in a well. You can find a dipperful from the middle more winelike than one from the bottom, but if you never search the vineyard, you'll never find a grape.

On a road trip across the US and Canada, I ran into a local in Ohio as I stopped to fill the tank on my Yamaha. After a bit of conversation, he expressed a sentiment I'd heard many times before, that there was so much richness in the States, that there was no need, perhaps even a reason not to, travel abroad. We Americans are only five percent of the world, and to ignore the other ninety-five percent of human experience seems to me inappropriate to the fulness of being human.

I might say the same about the majority of the world which is not christian, or even the majority of America which is not fundamentalist, or the majority of fundamentalists who are not Enyartian.

In peace, Jesse

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
beanieboy said:
I don't have a problem with people agreeing with Bob. Bob states a thesis, then supports it. However, if you look at how he supports it, ie., Jesus called people dogs, so I can call people any filthy name I can come up with, it really is questionable. When you look up the verse, (Jesus' robe is touched by a Gentile. He says, "the master does not take his food from his children to give to the dogs", she responds, "But even the crumbs from the masters table falls to the dogs". He then uses her as an example of strong faith - that even when Jesus pushes her away, she does not go away. ) Now, I don't know how you can take that example, and then think you can use derogatory words to anyone you choose.

He says that Jesus called people vipers and snakes, but he did that to the Pharisees that were actually leading people away from God, while claiming to lead people toward God. For that, they were seen as vipers and poisonous to the soul.

Does anyone weigh that? Usually not. It might effect your rep points.
The only thing that affects your rep points is making mistakes about the point like you are doing here (at least from the majority of the people who we are talking about).

beanieboy said:
In conclusion, Enyart's point is that one should not be Nicer than God, and therefore, people freely mock, get angry, and dehumanize just about anyone without thinking about it twice.
You missed the point. The point is not that we are free to "dehumanize just about anyone without thinking about it twice." The point is that name-calling is acceptable when used appropriately. i.e., one must "think about it twice" just like Jesus did.

beanieboy said:
I can understand that one should not encourage people to do anything detrimental, nor not speak out when they see a grave wrong, yet to challenge Bob has a huge attack of the clones response.
You certainly overstate your case. The attack of the clones only comes on the points where you are wrong. If it is felt that you should know better, then name-calling is appropriate.

beanieboy said:
And the basic idea - that people are being overly nice, and should be more, well, hostile - that alone makes me question. The idea that "Jesus did this, so you should, too" is also very questionable. God killed flooded the world, except for Noah and his family. Who are you killing to be more like God?

Most people talk about the world being cold and uncaring, and Enyart encourages people to be cold and uncaring out of love, to be mocking out of love, and to hate out of love.

He has an article that says that love the sinner, hate the sin, is not biblical, then encourages people to hate the sinner.

The Gospels weren't full of Jesus encouraging people to be more gruff, more mocking, more hateful, but to be more understanding, more humble, more compassionate.
Right. And SOMETIMES mocking someone is the most compassionate thing one can do for them. And it's never encouraged to be used to any more degree than necessary.

beanieboy

Yorzhik said:
The only thing that affects your rep points is making mistakes about the point like you are doing here (at least from the majority of the people who we are talking about).
You missed the point. The point is not that we are free to "dehumanize just about anyone without thinking about it twice." The point is that name-calling is acceptable when used appropriately. i.e., one must "think about it twice" just like Jesus did.
You certainly overstate your case. The attack of the clones only comes on the points where you are wrong. If it is felt that you should know better, then name-calling is appropriate.
Right. And SOMETIMES mocking someone is the most compassionate thing one can do for them. And it's never encouraged to be used to any more degree than necessary.

You just made a case for what I am saying.
Where in the bible does Jesus encourage his disciples or anyone else to start namecalling or mocking other people? When is it "necessary"? In what way is mocking someone compassionate?

Enyart has you believing that this is somehow biblical.