Is constant confession needed for forgiveness?

Brother Ducky

-what happened to the calvinists?
-it is a simple question
-do calvinists say the Our Father?

Can't speak for all Calvinists, but the liturgy of the RCA states under the head of intersession:

"The intercessions shall conclude with the Lord’s Prayer."

So the answer to the question is at least some do.

Arianadia

Do you not believe that all of your trespasses are forgiven (Colossians 2:13 KJV)?

Hi Heir, I really like your we-are-already-saved attitude and yes I do believe our trespasses are forgiven, but I still think it is good to apologize for making mistakes and for acknowledging the mistakes one is making. How does one learn if one doesn't acknowledge the mistakes one is making? What do you think Heir? Is constant confession required to receive forgiveness, or are we already forgiven such that our confessions are not even necessary? I am cautious to think that way though because one can become arrogant in believing they are forgiven no matter what and therefore can do no wrong, no?

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
-what happened to the calvinists?
-it is a simple question
-do calvinists say the Our Father?

You mean the Lord's Prayer?

Yes. We especially like the 'thy will be done'. We take that part seriously :plain:

What does that have to do with anything?

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
So just once then?

What about the conditional forgiveness part?

^
Oh great, I made one of the mad Madists mad. Now they're circling around like vultures :rolleyes:

Go fix your decoder ring. It's broken.

That still does not answer the question of how the elect knows he/she is elected.

What is with the obsession with this? A person needing to 'know' they are saved..
The problem here is very simple- when a person is going around so arrogantly sure of their salvation, they aren't doing any more than tempting the Lord.

Salvation is something that one works out with 'fear and trembling'. When you have millions of Christians walking around in their frankly mediocre spirit being so smug about their salvation, there is a problem.

jzeidler

^
Oh great, I made one of the mad Madists mad. Now they're circling around like vultures :rolleyes:

Go fix your decoder ring. It's broken.

What is with the obsession with this? A person needing to 'know' they are saved..
The problem here is very simple- when a person is going around so arrogantly sure of their salvation, they aren't doing any more than tempting the Lord.

Salvation is something that one works out with 'fear and trembling'. When you have millions of Christians walking around in their frankly mediocre spirit being so smug about their salvation, there is a problem.

Look at what the verse says as to why there is "fear and trembling" it's cause you're not doing the work, it's God doing the work through you.

musterion

^

And there it is. Back in the 1600s he'd have used the term presumption, which I believe Calvin - Catholic at heart that he was - was fond of using.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Hi Heir, I really like your we-are-already-saved attitude
It's not an attitude, but a reality! 1 Corinthians 15:2 KJV, 1 Corinthians 1:18 KJV, Ephesians 2:5 KJV, Ephesians 2:8-9 KJV, Titus 3:5 KJV
)and yes I do believe our trespasses are forgiven, but I still think it is good to apologize for making mistakes and for acknowledging the mistakes one is making.
You posted verses that show a conditional forgiveness because they are written to the lost sheep of the house of Israel Matthew 10:5-6 KJV, 15:24 KJV (not us) who will not have their sins blotted out until the times of refreshing that shall come from the presence of the Lord (second coming) Acts 3:19-21 KJV) whereas we in the Body look back having "now received the atonement (Romans 5:11 KJV).
How does one learn if one doesn't acknowledge the mistakes one is making?
Confession for Israel had nothing to do with "learning", but identification with the Lord Jesus Christ! (Matthew 3:6 KJV)
What do you think Heir? Is constant confession required to receive forgiveness, or are we already forgiven such that our confessions are not even necessary?
We are already forgiven all trespasses (Colossians 2:13 KJV). Why would any of us want to ask for something we already have as if we don't have it? It's unbelief! Don't you think God tires of hearing you ask for something that He said is a done deal?
I am cautious to think that way though because one can become arrogant in believing they are forgiven no matter what and therefore can do no wrong, no?
Our being forgiven has/had nothing to do with what we have done, but by the grace and mercy of God 2 Corinthians 5:19 KJV, Ephesians 1:6-9 KJV, Colossians 1:14 KJV, Colossians 2:13 KJV

Being sure of salvation is not arrogance it is confidence in the Lord's faith and finished work (Ephesians 3:12 KJV). I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day (2 Timothy 1:12 KJV). And if you have trusted the Lord believing the gospel of Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV) so should you (Romans 8:35-39 KJV, Ephesians 1:13-14 KJV)!

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
And there it is. Back in the 1600s he'd have used the term presumption, which I believe Calvin - Catholic at heart that he was - was fond of using.

Calvin was not 'Catholic at heart'.
Some people are just so heretical that any vestige of archaic Christianity is 'Catholic'.

The real reason people are against Calvinism, even if it isn't fully realized, is because the doctrine omits any person's condemning of a Calvinist. They were just predestined, you see :rolleyes:

Sorry that the real Gospel expels the nonsense of those such as on this thread :idunno:

musterion

Calvin was a baptized Catholic with no recorded testimony of coming to faith in Christ via the Gospel of the grace of God.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Calvin was a baptized Catholic

Cool story.

You know who else was a baptized Catholic?

EVERYBODY

with no recorded testimony of coming to faith in Christ via the Gospel of the grace of God

When you publicly call the Pope the son of perdition and kick every Catholic out of your city, there is no need for such a testimony- it speaks for itself.

Calvin is a co-champion of the Reformation. Why do you think it's called REFORMED doctrine..

I don't understand you all sometimes :freak:

Arianadia

It's not an attitude, but a reality! 1 Corinthians 15:2 KJV, 1 Corinthians 1:18 KJV, Ephesians 2:5 KJV, Ephesians 2:8-9 KJV, Titus 3:5 KJVYou posted verses that show a conditional forgiveness because they are written to the lost sheep of the house of Israel Matthew 10:5-6 KJV, 15:24 KJV (not us) who will not have their sins blotted out until the times of refreshing that shall come from the presence of the Lord (second coming) Acts 3:19-21 KJV) whereas we in the Body look back having "now received the atonement (Romans 5:11 KJV). Confession for Israel had nothing to do with "learning", but identification with the Lord Jesus Christ! (Matthew 3:6 KJV)We are already forgiven all trespasses (Colossians 2:13 KJV). Why would any of us want to ask for something we already have as if we don't have it? It's unbelief! Don't you think God tires of hearing you ask for something that He said is a done deal? Our being forgiven has/had nothing to do with what we have done, but by the grace and mercy of God 2 Corinthians 5:19 KJV, Ephesians 1:6-9 KJV, Colossians 1:14 KJV, Colossians 2:13 KJV

Being sure of salvation is not arrogance it is confidence in the Lord's faith and finished work (Ephesians 3:12 KJV). I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day (2 Timothy 1:12 KJV). And if you have trusted the Lord believing the gospel of Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV) so should you (Romans 8:35-39 KJV, Ephesians 1:13-14 KJV)!

True Heir we are saved already. Still how can you be certain of who the lost sheep are and who are in the Body, as you put it? Is it not true that only God can know those who are lost and those who are found? Also why is the second coming necessary if we are all already saved, if that reality is in the here and now? (I do believe we are saved in the past, present, and future tense. I am simply asking the questions because I am interested in your answers and any insight you can provide.)

Also how did Israel in the OT identify with Christ if people only met Christ in the NT? Sorry I did not quite understand this argument concerning learning with regards to confession.

I must say I don't believe that an all powerful God tires at all and instead I believe that He has the patience and understanding to hear all and every request no matter how small or insignificant they may be. Remember Christ said not to keep the Children from Him, so why then when asking for forgiveness would God tire of hearing from His children? Is it really unbelief to request something you already have? For example, we know we have God's Love, we believe this, and yet we continue to ask God for more of His Love, because we believe, because we have learnt to appreciate Him and His Love...how is this unbelief? Also God is Love, and Love enjoys fellowship and sharing. I also remember reading a passage in the Bible, I forget now the exact passage, but it spoke about how when we ask God for something it pleases Him, when we ask Him for help, when we turn to Him, we are showing that we do believe in Him, we are putting our trust in Him, we are saying I know you have saved me, and having done so I ask for you to remove any fear or doubt and in doing so save me once again.

True we are forgiven by His Grace and Mercy, but I believe we are required to show some form of humility on our part, in the end it is about our personal relationship with God. That said, I don't believe any one person can judge another's heart or say that they do or do not believe in God. I believe only God knows the hearts of His children and has the right to judge this. A person may perhaps point out where another might work to deepen their faith but I don't think it right for that person to state outright that another is a believer or not simply because that other person does not think or believe the same way they do. No?

Looking forward to hear more of your thoughts on the subject Heir.

musterion

When you publicly call the Pope the son of perdition and kick every Catholic out of your city, there is no need for such a testimony- it speaks for itself.

That speaks only to what he didn't believe any longer.

Calvin is a co-champion of the Reformation. Why do you think it's called REFORMED doctrine..

That's nice.

So when you find Calvin's testimony of when he heard and believed the Gospel of grace, which Rome has never preached and in fact officially anathematized at Trent, you let me know.

I don't understand you all sometimes :freak:

There's a good reason for that.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
So when you find Calvin's testimony of when he heard and believed the Gospel of grace, which Rome has never preached and in fact officially anathematized at Trent, you let me know.

Basing your opinion on a formality is stupid.

Tells me all I need to know about you all.

There's a good reason for that.

Because you all are detached from reality and reason :idunno:

heir

TOL Subscriber
True Heir we are saved already.
I am, but are you? And if so, how?
Still how can you be certain of who the lost sheep are and who are in the Body, as you put it?
There is no Israel of God today. They fell, diminsihed and were cast away for a reason and a season. God is not dealing with a nation, but the filling up of Christ's Body which is the church (Ephesians 1:22-23 KJV).
Is it not true that only God can know those who are lost and those who are found?
Again, not talking about Israel as they are Hosea 1:9 KJV, The Lord knoweth them that are His (2 Timothy 2:19 KJV).
Also why is the second coming necessary if we are all already saved, if that reality is in the here and now?
Israel's salvation is future, for that is God's covenant unto them, when He shall take away their sins (Romans 11:26-27 KJV, Acts 3:19-21 KJV, Hebrews 8:8-12 KJV, Hebrews 10:17 KJV ).