In Case You Missed It...

One Eyed Jack

Originally posted by jjjg

Nin, how does this theory you posted explain that their has been reversals in the magnetic poles in the Earth's history that are accurately measured in the tens of thousands of years?

How do you know these measurements are accurate?

Nineveh

Merely Christian
I posted it so folks who might be interested in what Dr. Humphreys has to say would have the info. Is there a problem with that?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Stratnerd

maybe you have an example where evolution has been falsified?
It'll be posted when you post an example of evolution being empirically proven.

One Eyed Jack

Because we know the decay rate of radioactive isotopes within the rocks.

How do you know what the ratio of parent to daughter material was when the rock first solidified? Without knowing that, you can't use the decay rate to extrapolate the rock's age.

aharvey

Originally posted by Frank Ernest

Neanderthal "man." DNA testing has shown it non-human. Evolution fails.

Hmm. Do you have any idea what you mean here?

For example, how did DNA testing show Neanderthals to be "non-human"?

What are the DNA criteria for being considered "human"?

What do you mean by "human" (you would have to know this in order to proclaim something to be "non-human," right?)? Being in the species Homo sapiens? Being in the genus Homo?

If DNA showed NM to be "non-human," did it indicate what NM was instead?

And how does any of this add up to "evolution fails"? Why would "evolution" require that NM be "human," whatever that means?

aharvey

Originally posted by lighthouse

[Originally posted by Stratnerd

maybe you have an example where evolution has been falsified?]

It'll be posted when you post an example of evolution being empirically proven.

Lighthouse, you mistyped "No I don't, but it doesn't matter because the Truth has been revealed to me."

Come on, admit it. For one thing, what do you even mean by "empirically proven"? Or "proven," for that matter? Surely you know that "proof" is the domain of mathematics, not science. And since you are no doubt following the creationist's misuse of the term "evolution" to mean something like "protocell to human," you know that it would be theoretically impossible to "empirically prove" something like that anyway.

And that's fine, you are more than welcome to your beliefs, but please don't try to bring them into a science class unless you're going to have the science to back them up!

Stratnerd

Neanderthal "man." DNA testing has shown it non-human. Evolution fails.

this post makes no sense or you just don't understand evolution, human evolution, or science or all the above.

Falsification involves prediction. Prediction is an explicit statement of a hypothesis regarding an outcome based on theoretical components.

So if evolution were true then Neanderthals = modern humans? That doesn't make any sense. If evolution is descent with modification then why would we expect Neanderthals = modern humans?

The DNA studies you were referring to (I'm assuming) are those that show that modern humans were not direct descendents of Neanderthal man. I fail to see how this falsifies evolution. Please enlighten.

Stratnerd

lighthouse,

Evolution can be emperically proven in the sense we can show in a lab that descent with modification occurs.

If you are talking about the historical aspects of evolution then emperical evidence is impossible (as is any other historical study) but you can generate testable hypotheses.

aharvey

Originally posted by One Eyed Jack

How do you know what the ratio of parent to daughter material was when the rock first solidified? Without knowing that, you can't use the decay rate to extrapolate the rock's age.

Given the tens of thousands of times (conservatively!) that geologists have used radiometric dating, you'd think that such an obvious and elementary point would have occurred to at least one of them!

Caine

BANNED
Banned

Questions of God or even materialism are metaphysical questions. They are philisophical arguments based on what we can learn from physical science but they are not part of physical science.

jjg, I do not agree. The existence of the physical universe is not a metaphysical question. It is quite obvious that materials/the universe exist, unless you employ some dubious and/or contradictory logical proofs to the contrary.

With that being said. Yes, the questions of whether "God exists/is responsible for the material world" do seem to be a metaphysical question. This would also imply that the opposite side or atheism is also determined through metaphysics. An agnostic is basically saying; "I do not trust any knowledge based entirely and stringently on metaphysics."

Last edited:

jjjg

BANNED
Banned
Caine, that's all I simply said is that God or atheism are metaphysical questions.

I never said the existence of the universe does not fall into physics.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by aharvey

Lighthouse, you mistyped "No I don't, but it doesn't matter because the Truth has been revealed to me."

Come on, admit it. For one thing, what do you even mean by "empirically proven"?
Empirically proven means proven physically, does it not? A proof that you would accept...

Or "proven," for that matter?
It was proven to me, by means other than physical. I accept that, because it was proven. End of story.

Surely you know that "proof" is the domain of mathematics, not science. And since you are no doubt following the creationist's misuse of the term "evolution" to mean something like "protocell to human," you know that it would be theoretically impossible to "empirically prove" something like that anyway.
Do what? I beleive in modification of species, to their surroundings: i.e., adaptation.

Can evolution, the idea that all that exists shares a common ancestor, be proven, at all? That is what evolution believes isn't it? I know that it does not teach that we evolved from apes, but it teaches that we have a common ancestor with them, doesn't it?

And that's fine, you are more than welcome to your beliefs, but please don't try to bring them into a science class unless you're going to have the science to back them up!
If it can't be proven, then why should it be taught is if it is true, in a science class? If they are going to teach evolution, why not creationism? They are both considered to be possible by various scientists. And then there are those who believe them both to be nothing more than theories. So why not teach them both? Why not teach the various creationism beliefs. Judaism and Christianity are not the only systems of beleif to believe in creationism.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Stratnerd

lighthouse,

Evolution can be emperically proven in the sense we can show in a lab that descent with modification occurs.
And this I believe. But it can not be proven that humans share an ancestor with apes. Or that all that exists shares a common ancestor.

If you are talking about the historical aspects of evolution then emperical evidence is impossible (as is any other historical study) but you can generate testable hypotheses.
Exactly.