In Case You Missed It...

Nineveh

Merely Christian
The debate between Dr. Jason Lisle and Eugenie Scott on CNN's Paula Zahn Now, Aired November 29, 2004 - 20:00 ET.

ZAHN: Joining me now to debate this Eugenie Scott, director of the National Center for Science Education. She joins us from San Francisco tonight. And from Cincinnati, Jason Lisle. He has a Ph.D. in astrophysics and works with a pro-creationism group called Answers in Genesis.

Welcome, both of you.

Jason, let's start with you tonight. If you were to teach creationism in a classroom, what would you teach?

JASON LISLE, ANSWERS IN GENESIS: Well, I would show that the scientific evidence, when you understand it, is consistent with what the Bible has to say about creation.

If I had the -- if I had the legal right to talk about the Bible, I would use that. If I didn't, I would at least show that the evidence is consistent with there being a creator with design.

For example, we see created kinds -- we see different kinds of organisms in the world and we see them reproducing after their kinds. We don't see one kind of organism turning into other kind of organism. That's not something that we actually observe in nature. And that's something that evolution -- evolutionists say is required.

ZAHN: So Eugenie, how would you explain that?

EUGENIE SCOTT, DIRECTOR, NATIONAL CENTER FOR SCIENCE EDUCATION: Well, hearing a creationist define evolution is a little bit like having Madeline Murray O'Hare define Christianity. You're not really going to get the -- the straight story there.

The way evolution is taught at the university level is the way it should be taught at the high school level. And that's really what we're talking about here. It's not between evolution and science.

ZAHN: What do you mean by that?

SCOTT: At the university level, which is where I used to teach, we teach evolution, biological evolution, as the inference that living things had common ancestors. And we teach it neutrally. We don't teach it that God did it or God had nothing to do with it. We just present the science.

And that's what should be done at the high school level.

ZAHN: Jason, I want to share with you a result from the latest CBS/"New York Times" poll, which show that 65 percent of those people polled were in favor of teaching both creation and evolution in public school classrooms. Do you appreciate these numbers?

LISLE: I do. I think that a lot of people realize that it would be very smart to teach both creation and evolution if that were possible. Because...

ZAHN: So you don't have a problem with both being taught side by side?

LISLE: Not at all. In fact I encourage people to actually teach evolution. But teach it warts and all. Show the problems with it, as well, and then show what the creationist interpretation of the evidence is. Because we feel that the creationist interpretation of the evidence makes a lot more sense when you understand it.

ZAHN: What about the argument Eugenie made that you can teach it in a more neutral way, and I'll let you expand on that in a moment, Eugenie?

SCOTT: Thank you.

LISLE: Well, there's no neutral ground, is there? I mean, you're ultimately either for what God has said as word or against it. And that's what the real issue is here.

ZAHN: Eugenie?

SCOTT: No, we're treating this as if there are two alternatives, evolution, and the institute, or the answers in Genesis' version of creation.

But you know, his version of creation, which is everything was created all at one time in six days, 10,000 years ago, is not what Catholics believe. It's not what Episcopalians believe, and it's certainly not what Hopi believe or what Navajo believes. So you can't say teach both, because there's more than two alternatives.

Now my view, the view that the National Center for Science Education takes, is that we should know more about a lot of creationisms, plural. But it has no place in science class. I think comparative religion is a wonderful study, and we should be more theologically literate than we are. But keep it out of science class, because it is not scientifically demonstrable.

ZAHN: So Jason, would you support the idea of moving that into a religion class?

LISLE: I have no problem with creation, evolution being taught in a religion class, as well. But it would be nice if the scientific aspects of the creation models, just the idea that there is an intelligent creator, would be brought up in a science classroom.

There's scientific evidence supporting that position. I mean, is the evolution model so weak that its adherents feel the need to suppress any alternatives?

SCOTT: I don't think it's a matter of...

ZAHN: Eugenie, there's a lot of, you know, strong words that are used when it comes to this debate that creationism is actually being censored out of the curriculum.

SCOTT: Of course. It's being censored out of the science curriculum, because, contrary to the claims that have just been made, there are no scientific data supporting it.

Look, the fact of the matter is that science is not a fair process. I mean, it's not a democratic system. The creationists have the same right that I have to make their position to the scientific community and convince them that there is evidence supporting the idea that everything was created all at one time. The problem is, there are no data. They haven't made the case. But what they want to do is make an end-run around the scientific community and go directly to the school district, as opposed to the normal process of having these ideas filter down from the scientific community.

You know, the thing is, scientists and teachers aren't trying to get creationism into this -- into the curriculum. It's the politicians. And what this has done is politicize science education in a very negative fashion.

ZAHN: Well, Jason's a scientist. He's trying to get it into the curriculum.

LISLE: Yes, and you know, real science, real science thrives on competing models.

SCOTT: That's right.

LISLE: A real scientist...

SCOTT: Make your argument to the scientific community.

LISLE: A real scientist would not squelch the evidence.

SCOTT: Don't make it to a -- don't make it to a high school teacher.

LISLE: But see, I find it interesting that evolutionists would try to use political pressure to suppress certain ideas. For example Russ Humphries, he's a Ph.D. nuclear physicist, and he has a model of how magnetic fields work. It's based on their being created 6,000 years ago. And he's able to actually predict the magnetic fields of the planets Uranus and Neptune based on creation.

And yet, most students will never hear about that, because we're not allowed.

SCOTT: And there's -- and there's a very good reason for that.

ZAHN: All right, Eugenie, you get the last word tonight in the debate. The very good reason for that is what, Eugenie?

SCOTT: The very good reason for that is that he has to fool around with some constants that completely violate the laws of physics, which is why these arguments are not made in the scientific literature. They're made -- they're made politically at the local school board. And that's not the place for them.

ZAHN: Eugenie Scott, Jason Lisle, thank you for educating us tonight. Appreciate it.

LISLE: Thank you.

SCOTT: Thank you for asking us.

ZAHN: My pleasure. Part of the television evolution has been the rise of a series called reality TV. But you've never seen it quite like this. "The Apprentice" with politics, but without the Donald, when we come back.

cite It's almost at the bottom of the page.

Skeptic

Scott made a good point: Make your argument to the scientific community, before trying to teach it in high school science classes. If a theory stands up to scientific scrutiny by the scientific community, then it can filter down to the science class room. Don't skip the scientific scrutiny, then try to teach some form of creationism as a legitimate scientific alternative to evolution.

Last edited:

aharvey

Originally posted by Nineveh

Septic,
Do you still believe it should be ok for people to marry animals?

Now there's a world-class non sequitur!

Here's the kicker:

"Jason, let's start with you tonight. If you were to teach creationism in a classroom, what would you teach?

JASON LISLE, ANSWERS IN GENESIS: Well, I would show that the scientific evidence, when you understand it, is consistent with what the Bible has to say about creation."

Forget the fact that this is not even an accurate statement. To say a piece of evidence "is consistent with" a particular hypothesis means nothing more than it is possible to frame that evidence in such a way that it does not actively contradict the hypothesis. It doesn't mean that the hypothesis would in any way predict the evidence. It doesn't mean the evidence in any way supports the hypothesis. It is the very weakest relationship between evidence and hypothesis.

Not only that, but YEC's employ this "standard" on an item-by-item basis, which sets them up for some major contradictions. I'm convinced this is one reason YECs refuse to put together a formal model, with specific premises, assumptions, and predictions. I have to dig out my copy of Woodmorappe's hilarious book Noah's Ark: a study in impracticality (okay, that's what it should have been called!) for a particularly nice example of this.

Meanwhile, I'm still eagerly awaiting some specific guidance on what I should be teaching my students about creationism.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Originally posted by aharvey

Now there's a world-class non sequitur!

Not really. See, I don't like carrying on convos with people who are insane. Septic once said he thought it was a keen idea for people to marry animals. Now, if that's who you like to converse with, have it. I'll pass.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
The real "kicker" is the open letter that will prolly never be addressed by Scott:

Dr. Humphrey’s letter to Dr. Scott

Hi NCSE folks:

Please relay this to Dr. Scott. Having watched her talk about my theory of planetary magnetic fields on the Paula Zahn show tonight, I’m mildly curious as to which “physical constants” she is alleging that my theory changed in making the predictions Jason Lisle mentioned. Would she please specify them? Has she even read the Creation Research Society Quarterly article in which I made those predictions?23

By the way, I thought Dr. Lisle won the debate. He looked sharp and well-informed, which he is.

Hoping to get Genie up to speed,

D. Russell Humphreys, Ph. D.
Institute for Creation Research

cite

Skeptic

Oh please, I asked you twice because impurex thought you were joking.
What did you ask and how did I respond? My memory isn't what it used to be.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
It's easy to settle, do you think it's ok for humans to "marry" animals, or have "relations" with them? I certainly hope you have changed your mind on it, so here is the opportunity to set the record straight :)

Skeptic

It's easy to settle, do you think it's ok for humans to "marry" animals, or have "relations" with them? I certainly hope you have changed your mind on it, so here is the opportunity to set the record straight :)
I don't think it is a "keen idea" for humans to "marry" animals. I think it is a pretty silly idea. Would I advocate a law against a rare and silly thing like that? Probably not. Is it "ok"? That's a silly moral judgment that each individual human should make for themselves.

As for "relations" with animals, people have been doing this for thousands of years. Does this make it right? No. Is it wrong? It depends on whose moral principles you want to follow. The moral principles contained in the Bible are not necessarily absolute principles dictated by God. Biblical principles are as much a product of human invention as any others. I don't advocate for "relations" with animals. Would I advocate a law against a rare and silly thing like that? Probably not. Is it "ok"? That's a silly moral judgment that each individual human should make for themselves.

It's funny how so-called moral people can think it is "ok" to slaughter animals, hunt them in different ways, eat them, torture them in order to make safe cosmetics, force them as slaves to do our work, and have them as pets. But when it comes to those rare and outrageous times when some idiot wants to have "relations" with them, ...... oh, my!!! :shocked:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Skeptic

I don't think it is a "keen idea" for humans to "marry" animals. I think it is a pretty silly idea... Is it "ok"? That's a silly moral judgment that each individual human should make for themselves.

As for "relations" with animals, people have been doing this for thousands of years... Is it wrong? It depends on whose moral principles you want to follow. I don't advocate for "relations" with animals... Is it "ok"? That's a silly moral judgment that each individual human should make for themselves.
:vomit:

It's funny how so-called moral people can think it is "ok" to slaughter animals, hunt them in different ways, eat them, torture them in order to make safe cosmetics, force them as slaves to do our work, and have them as pets. But when it comes to those rare and outrageous times when some idiot wants to have "relations" with them, ...... oh, my!!! :shocked:
I don't think it's okay to test make up on animals. But I'm definitely a meat eater!:firechyld

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Originally posted by Skeptic
Would I advocate a law against a rare and silly thing like that? Probably not.

Does this mean you do not support upholding the law already on the books, or work to have the ones in place removed?

Is it "ok"? That's a silly moral judgment that each individual human should make for themselves.

Silly or not, you don't seem to have changed your ideas on it. That's too bad.

As for "relations" with animals, people have been doing this for thousands of years. Does this make it right? No. Is it wrong? It depends on whose moral principles you want to follow. The moral principles contained in the Bible are not necessarily absolute principles dictated by God. Biblical principles are as much a product of human invention as any others. I don't advocate for "relations" with animals. Would I advocate a law against a rare and silly thing like that? Probably not. Is it "ok"? That's a silly moral judgment that each individual human should make for themselves.

We just went through that once in your first paragraph. What do you say? Do you think the one person who opts to take advantage of a goat is "ok" in your book?

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by lighthouse

I don't think it's okay to test make up on animals.
Why not?

What alternative do you support?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Turbo

Why not?

What alternative do you support?
Human testing. Humans can consent. Animals can't. One of the reasons I'm against people marrying animals.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by lighthouse

Human testing. Humans can consent. Animals can't.
Animals don't consent to be killed, and eaten, or even penned for that matter. But you aren't a vegetarian, are you?

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Now, now Philo.... septic hasn't actually said it's "ok" for people to have relations with animals yet, let's wait until his tap dance comes to an end and we get a clear understanding of what he does think :)

(see...harve? I'm even trying to give your evo buddy a break here...)