I have a question about observing God’s commands in light of New Testament scriptures

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Bradley, I agree with you but, Paul doesn't. If you read Ephesians 2:15, Paul said that the Law was abolished on the cross. Since, of course, he was talking about Jesus, he implied that Jesus was not saying the truth in Mat. 5:17-19, even after Jesus said that to achieve salvation, one must listen to "Moses" aka the "Moral" Law. (Luke 16:29-31)

Paul said that the Law does not prevent a Gentile from coming to God, because of Christ.

Ben Masada

Very true sin makes you want to run and hide and love Romans :) Paul's illustration of why when the sign say's "Wet Paint Do Not Touch" we just got to touch it, the law does the opposite and makes us sinners but the Spirit sets us free :)

True that sin makes you want to run and hide, but the Law makes you understand the reason why you have to run and hide. To run and hide is not the solution but to set things right with the Lord so that our sins, from scarlet red become as white as snow is the solution through repentance and obedience to the Law.(Isaiah 1:18,19)
There is no need to run and hide as the Law teaches to stand and face sin with knowledge.

djhow

That's what repentance is :) when you can tell everyone all of your sins, confess your sins one to another bring them into the light and have no fear for you will find forgiveness :) it's funny how counselling works by first being honest about your problem?

Ben Masada

Paul said that the Law does not prevent a Gentile from coming to God, because of Christ.

It was to the Gentiles (Romans) that Paul said they were free of the Law. (Romans 7:6 or 6:7) I am not too sure. Then, when Jesus himself commanded his disciples to spread the gospel of salvation throughout Israel, he forbade them to take the way unto the Gentiles. I always wondered about this text because I am sure he was aware that the Jews had been assigned as light unto the Gentiles. (Isaiah 42:6)Besides, he himself proclaimed the Jews as light of the world. (Mat.5:14)

Ben Masada

That's what repentance is :) when you can tell everyone all of your sins, confess your sins one to another bring them into the light and have no fear for you will find forgiveness :) it's funny how counselling works by first being honest about your problem?

Not really everyone but those whom we have offended.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
It was to the Gentiles (Romans) that Paul said they were free of the Law. (Romans 7:6 or 6:7) I am not too sure. Then, when Jesus himself commanded his disciples to spread the gospel of salvation throughout Israel, he forbade them to take the way unto the Gentiles. I always wondered about this text because I am sure he was aware that the Jews had been assigned as light unto the Gentiles. (Isaiah 42:6)Besides, he himself proclaimed the Jews as light of the world. (Mat.5:14)
God did what He wanted to in reaching the people with the truth, from Jesus' ministry and beyond.

John 4:22 NASB - 22 "You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, for salvation is from the Jews.

Matthew 28:18-20 NASB - 18 And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."

Luke 24:47 NASB - 47 and that repentance for forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in His name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem.

Acts 17:26-27 NASB - 26 and He made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined their appointed times and the boundaries of their habitation, 27 that they would seek God, if perhaps they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us;

Ben Masada

It depends on your Christian "background". If you have been raised on "Replacement Theology" then what I posted will not make sense. Replacement Theology was the underlying theology developed in the 1st Century following the destruction of the Temple in 70 AD. The vast majority of Christendom follows Replacement Theology.
On the other hand, some have discovered that the Body of Christ is a distinct entity completely separate from Israel and Judaism. Most of the Bible is directed at Israel. However, if you are of Replacement Theology then "Israel" no longer exists and never will ever exist, so all of the Bible would apply to you, be written to you and for you. That would of course include the 613 Commandments in the Old Testament (ie: the LAW).

Romans 11:13
1 Timothy 2:7
2 Timothy 1:11

If by the body of Christ, you mean a reference to Jesus, it is wrong to say that it is a distinct entity completely separate from Israel and Judaism. Jesus was a Jew whose faith was Judaism and the 613 commandments are composed of ritual commandments never to be applied to the Gentiles qua Gentiles but to the Jews only until the Gentiles convert to Judaism according to Halacha aka Jewish law.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Tambora,

No one was under the Law of Moses during the time of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden.
I never said they were.

But there was a time when a law/command did come to Adam.
Law/command with TKGE.
There was no law/command with the Tree of Live.

God expected them to obey His command. There was no sin until they disobeyed. The result of their sin was death. They lost their innocence. The loss of their innocence was the result of disobeying the command.
I believe that God expected that they would disobey.
Otherwise there would be no need for redemption from it.

Jesus was innocent having never sinned. He was tempted in all ways as we are however. But when you are tempted you have a choice what to do about it. Do not choose to disobey God in any area of your life.
Has anyone ever obeyed 100% other than Christ?
If there was ever a law/command given that could justify, then justification would come through the law.
But it doesn't.
The law justifies no one.

What Paul was talking about was how his flesh rebelled against God's command, when knowledge of the command came. I don't think Adam and Eve were in the same situation.
Why not?
Adam did not realize he was naked until the TKGE.
Paul did not realize coveting was wrong until the law.

It was a law/command that manifested both the shame of nakedness for Adam, and it was the law/command that manifested the shame of coveting to Paul.

I also believe God's commands are good.
They are so good that no one could pass.

Obey God's commands, and you will do well.
You can try it yourself and fail as all other besides Christ have done.
Under the law, all are found lacking.

You're right, it is a choice.
Be under the law and be bound to keep every jot and title of it, or be found guilty of all of it.
Or, you could put your trust and faith in the only one that did have perfect righteousness and obedience, who imputes His perfect righteousness and obedience, as the risen Lord Jesus Christ told Paul to preach.

Galatians 3:11 KJV
(11) But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.

Galatians 3:12 KJV
(12) And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.

Choose wisely.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I never said they were.

But there was a time when a law/command did come to Adam.
Law/command with TKGE.
There was no law/command with the Tree of Live.

I believe that God expected that they would disobey.
Otherwise there would be no need for redemption from it.

Has anyone ever obeyed 100% other than Christ?
If there was ever a law/command given that could justify, then justification would come through the law.
But it doesn't.
The law justifies no one.

Why not?
Adam did not realize he was naked until the TKGE.
Paul did not realize coveting was wrong until the law.

It was a law/command that manifested both the shame of nakedness for Adam, and it was the law/command that manifested the shame of coveting to Paul.

They are so good that no one could pass.

You can try it yourself and fail as all other besides Christ have done.
Under the law, all are found lacking.

You're right, it is a choice.
Be under the law and be bound to keep every jot and title of it, or be found guilty of all of it.
Or, you could put your trust and faith in the only one that did have perfect righteousness and obedience, who imputes His perfect righteousness and obedience, as the risen Lord Jesus Christ told Paul to preach.

Galatians 3:11 KJV
(11) But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.

Galatians 3:12 KJV
(12) And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.

Choose wisely.

Do you remember Romans 8:1-4 NASB? Salvation or justification is not by the Law, but by Jesus Christ. Knowing that you are not justified by the works of the Law (the Law) but by the blood of Jesus, are you going to obey God and Jesus Christ? Do you obey God's commands or pretend they don't exist?

Ben Masada

God did what He wanted to in reaching the people with the truth, from Jesus' ministry and beyond.

However, not to include the Gentiles. (Mat. 10:5,6) How do you explain that?

John 4:22 NASB - 22 "You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, for salvation is from the Jews.

This is a reference to universal salvation. Salvation from catastrophic events akin to the Flood. (Genesis 8:21,22)Jeremiah read that text and concluded that as long as Israel remained as a people before the Lord forever, the natural laws would operate according to creation. (Jeremiah 31:37) Last but not least, Jesus read both texts, from Genesis and Jeremiah and concluded that indeed salvation came from the Jews.(John 4:22)

QUOTE]

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
However, not to include the Gentiles. (Mat. 10:5,6) How do you explain that?

This is a reference to universal salvation. Salvation from catastrophic events akin to the Flood. (Genesis 8:21,22)Jeremiah read that text and concluded that as long as Israel remained as a people before the Lord forever, the natural laws would operate according to creation. (Jeremiah 31:37) Last but not least, Jesus read both texts, from Genesis and Jeremiah and concluded that indeed salvation came from the Jews.(John 4:22)
There was a time when Gentiles were not included.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Do you remember Romans 8:1-4 NASB? Salvation or justification is not by the Law, but by Jesus Christ. Knowing that you are not justified by the works of the Law (the Law) but by the blood of Jesus, are you going to obey God and Jesus Christ? Do you obey God's commands or pretend they don't exist?
I put my trust in the only one that has perfect obedience and righteousness, rather than any of my own.
Any righteousness of my own (or yours) is just a filthy rag because we have lived a 100% life of righteousness and obedience.
And because we have not kept every single jot and title of the law, we were already found guilty of the whole law.

Even the slightest deviation from the law/command is sin (James 1:10).

To sin is to miss the mark.
It's an archery term.
The only way to reach the perfect goal is to hit the bullseye.
Anything short of the bullseys won't cut the mustard.

So how's that law business going for ya so far, Jacob?
Do ya hit the bullseye every single time, or do you sometimes miss the mark?
Know anyone other than Christ that has?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I put my trust in the only one that has perfect obedience and righteousness, rather than any of my own.
Any righteousness of my own (or yours) is just a filthy rag because we have lived a 100% life of righteousness and obedience.
And because we have not kept every single jot and title of the law, we were already found guilty of the whole law.

Even the slightest deviation from the law/command is sin (James 1:10).

To sin is to miss the mark.
It's an archery term.
The only way to reach the perfect goal is to hit the bullseye.
Anything short of the bullseys won't cut the mustard.

So how's that law business going for ya so far, Jacob?
Do ya hit the bullseye every single time, or do you sometimes miss the mark?
Know anyone other than Christ that has?

You said you are 100 percent perfect and righteous or obedient or whatever. It's not true. But you can still obey God.

Romans 3:31 NASB - 31 Do we then nullify the Law through faith? May it never be! On the contrary, we establish the Law.

Was the Law established by faith here as a part of Paul's argument to say no one is able to keep the Law but that faith came first? Or, is this saying that after you have faith you ought to obey God's commands?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You said you are 100 percent perfect and righteous or obedient or whatever. It's not true.
I said Christ is the only one with perfect righteousness and obedience.

Romans 3:31 NASB - 31 Do we then nullify the Law through faith? May it never be! On the contrary, we establish the Law.
And in that law was the perfect and spotless substitution that would die IN YOUR PLACE, so you could live.
That wasn't part of the law for no good reason.

Was the Law established by faith here as a part of Paul's argument to say no one is able to keep the Law but that faith came first? Or, is this saying that after you have faith you ought to obey God's commands?[/QUOTE]
Has your obedience of the law been perfect?
You cannot fail at any point of the law, or you are guilty of the whole law.

So, have you ever failed at any point of the law, or have you kept the whole law perfectly?
The law will condemn you as guilty if you haven't..

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I said Christ is the only one with perfect righteousness and obedience.

And in that law was the perfect and spotless substitution that would die IN YOUR PLACE, so you could live.
That wasn't part of the law for no good reason.

Has your obedience of the law been perfect?
You cannot fail at any point of the law, or you are guilty of the whole law.

So, have you ever failed at any point of the law, or have you kept the whole law perfectly?
The law will condemn you as guilty if you haven't..

When I was a child I sinned and accepted Christ as my Savior. Now my life is about obeying God and sharing the gospel.

Ben Masada

There was a time when Gentiles were not included.

Please I need a quote for that one because, there were converts from the Gentiles since long before Jesus was born. The message in Isaiah 56:1-8 is meant to be about the Gentiles; converts from the Gentiles Ruth was also a convert from the Gentiles.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Please I need a quote for that one because, there were converts from the Gentiles since long before Jesus was born. The message in Isaiah 56:1-8 is meant to be about the Gentiles; converts from the Gentiles Ruth was also a convert from the Gentiles.

Are you talking about a natural born Jew (a person born a Jew, and circumcised according to the Law), a proselyte, convert, sojourner, or resident?

There are many verses that talk about the Gentiles being a part of God's plan. But circumcision and keeping the Law in its entirety did separate the Israelite and the Jew from those outside of Israel who were uncircumcised.

Bradley D

What Jesus fulfilled on the cross was the perfect sacrifice. There would no longer be any need for anymore animal sacrifices. A Christian goes directly to Christ our High Priest in heaven for forgiveness of any sin they commit truly repentant of.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
In the case of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil the command was there not to eat of this tree, but nothing was wrong until the command was transgressed in disobedience (sin).

The point I've been making and that Paul made throughout his entire ministry is that the command is there NOW for you not to partake of the Law just as the command was there for Adam not to partake of the Tree. It's the same command, made by the same God for the same reason!

So, I have a question about obeying God's commands....