How the Gospel Works

beloved57

The salvation of what he cherishes has already taken place in Jesus Christ. Open your eyes. You have ALREADY been reconciled to God by Jesus Christ, 2 Corinthians 5:18, 19. God offers the free gift of salvation to everyone. All that he asks of you is to believe it.

False Gospel and comments !

God's Truth

But, we stand as one against anti-Trinitarian heresy.

Right. You are like half siblings.

You both argue who obeys God the least.

Jesus says believe and obey.

Faith only says: "No, I will believe in you but I will not obey until after you save me".

Calvinists say: "No, I cannot believe and obey you until you first save me".

Unbelievable.

musterion

Right. You are like half siblings.

You both argue who obeys God the least.

Jesus says believe and obey.

Faith only says: "No, I will believe in you but I will not obey until after you save me".

Calvinists say: "No, I cannot believe and obey you until you first save me".

Unbelievable.

You obey less than anyone on TOL because of your lying insistence that you obey Him more and better than anyone on TOL. Lying is never, ever obedience to a holy God.

Last edited:

glorydaz

I think we all agree on these scriptures, but we come away either thinking 'we' matter, or God matters. 1 Corinthians 3:15 And even in this, I think we have some agreements but ultimately we come away either thinking 'we' are important and that's okay, it is someone who feels loved by God, or that "He" is important and unless the Lord builds the house, we labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

I'm not sure if I answered your question satisfactorily, but I endeavored and tried to be thorough while addressing it.

Why on earth would it need to be an either or proposition? I certainly don't see it that way. God's desire is that we all be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth. This one verse alone disproves what you claim.

2 Corinthians 5:20
Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.​

glorydaz

Example: Regardless of Clete's stance, it affords an opportunity to discuss important matters. As inept and childish as he has been this thread, it has led, by example, to your and my more meaningful exchange and, I believe, a better use of this thread and honoring to God because it is genuine, honest, and both of us seeking to honor God, among what we both cherish in God in common, as well as being used by God to hone or change our conceptions. Ecclesiastes 3:1 to Proverbs 16:4

:vomit:

musterion

This one verse alone disproves what you claim.
Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.​

I met a Calvinist once who signed loudly and rolled his eyes when I brought that up. He never did address it though. :think:

Lon

Then you are against GOD's will, you are against what GOD has ordained.
Yes, a glass darkly, but 'no' not out of His will. To me, it is a dichotomy akin to a rock God cannot pick up. In it, the definition of 'will' is different AND incidentally, why we Calvinists get slammed.
Why on earth would it need to be an either or proposition? I certainly don't see it that way. God's desire is that we all be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth. This one verse alone disproves what you claim.
James Hilston, not a Calvinist (MAD in fact), believes this and argues it well and logically. He has a good article on this well worth reading several times concerning God's will, prescriptive and declarative. He has this condensed in his JamesHilston.com blog somewhere. It was easier when it was Googlable and linked in his sig. RC Sproul addresses this in about ten articles. He is a Calvinist, but again, this is not a specifically Calvinist doctrine. I have read several who are MAD express exactly the same.
You are somebody that is saying that it is wrong for a person to be as GOD ordained that person to be.
Does that honestly sound logical to you?
The parable of the wheat and tares describes a need for God to enact both His plan, and His plan amidst a foreign influence: Tares in His field. As such, He 'prescribes' that the angels do nothing to harm the tares, that no wheat should suffer. God then ordains that His wheat (us) are the important and cherished, and to be brought to fruition against what He desired. The 'autonomy' of man, I believe, is the result of this hands-off approach. It isn't a gift, but ordained in that it must proceed until the end of the harvest.

It is wrong for us to be among weeds. Romans 8:28 assures us God has our best interests. While 'hands-off' is the directive to angels, we are very secure in His hands. All wheat are His and He will not lose one of them.
I met a Calvinist once who signed loudly and rolled his eyes when I brought that up. He never did address it though. :think:
Hilston and AMR have both addressed God's Decretive and Prescriptive will. Though 1 is a Calvinist, and the other MAD, they both say nearly the identical thing, both even referring to one another over the matter. Therefore, it is not a Calvinist specific doctrine. It needs to be investigated as the biblical expression it is. Even when I disagree with Hilston, I have a very hard time defying his logic. He is one of the better thinkers, not just on TOL.

musterion

Hilston and AMR have both addressed God's Decretive and Prescriptive will. Though 1 is a Calvinist, and the other MAD, they both say nearly the identical thing, both even referring to one another over the matter. Therefore, it is not a Calvinist specific doctrine. It needs to be investigated as the biblical expression it is. Even when I disagree with Hilston, I have a very hard time defying his logic. He is one of the better thinkers, not just on TOL.

I genuinely like you Lon, I hope you know that, but I could not care less what anyone says on this particular topic. Want to know why? God CANNOT will anyone to do that which He condemns and THEN blame them for "choosing" to do it.

Titus 1:2
Heb 6:18
1 Sam 15:29

Page after page of thread upon thread to the contrary count for NOTHING against that.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The parable of the wheat and tares describes a need for God to enact both His plan, and His plan amidst a foreign influence: Tares in His field. As such, He 'prescribes' that the angels do nothing to harm the tares, that no wheat should suffer.
The good and bad live together, and the sun shines on the just and the unjust alike.
But hasn't it already been ordained exactly who the wheat and tares are per GOD's will?
Are not both the wheat and tares being exactly as GOD planned for them to be at any given point in their life?

God then ordains that His wheat (us) are the important and cherished, and to be brought to fruition against what He desired.
Fruition of what???
How can anything that happens be against what GOD desired if it was GOD that ordained it to happen that way?

The 'autonomy' of man,
What does that mean?

I believe, is the result of this hands-off approach.
What is "this hands-off approach"?

It isn't a gift,
What isn't a gift?

but ordained in that it must proceed until the end of the harvest.
What proceeds until the end of the harvest?
Are you talking about the wheat and tares growing together till the harvest?
If so, the wheat and tares are being exactly what GOD ordained them to be and it would be impossible for them to ever be anything but what GOD has programmed, by His election and non-election, them to be.
Neither the wheat or the tares could ever be guilty of opposing GOD's will because they are exactly as GOD desired to ordain them to be before they were ever born.

musterion

The good and bad live together, and the sun shines on the just and the unjust alike.
But hasn't it already been ordained exactly who the wheat and tares are per GOD's will?
Are not both the wheat and tares being exactly as GOD planned for them to be at any given point in their life?

Fruition of what???
How can anything that happens be against what GOD desired if it was GOD that ordained it to happen that way?

What does that mean?

What is "this hands-off approach"?

What isn't a gift?

What proceeds until the end of the harvest?
Are you talking about the wheat and tares growing together till the harvest?

Let's let John Calvin answer that.

henslowe-and-fennyman.png