ECT How is Paul's message different?

Shasta

Then explain Galatians 2 in relation to Acts 15 and your claim right here. There are only 500+ posts and no one has done it.

Explain what your difficulty with it is. I am not going to guess what you think nor am I going to do background research to find out what your opinion is. You already know my view.

Cross Reference

The phrase "as you have received Christ Jesus so walk in Him" shows that our first step of faith that brought us into right relationship with God must be followed by an ongoing WALK of FAITH (Colossians 2:6).

A person walking by faith (i.e., trust in, belief in, dependence upon, confidence in, Jesus) will not be walking in immorality. The two ways of life are contradictory and mutually exclusive. Under the Law, the idea was that IF people abstained from immorality and practiced the ceremonial law ("touch not," "handle not") then they would be in right relationship with God (Colossians 2:20-23).

In the NC the ceremonial part of the law has been done away with but righteous requirement (or intent) of the moral law has not been dispensed with rather, it is fulfilled as we walk in the Spirit (Romans 8:4).

Paul said,

"Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
(Galatians 5:16)

He did not say "if you try very hard not to fulfill the lusts of the flesh then you will be walking in the Spirit." Yielding to the Spirit comes first (Romans 6:12-14). It is the Father's will that not only our actions but our inner thoughts and deepest motives be in conformity to His nature of love. In the OC a person had to try very hard to do this and, in the end, they could not succeed. In the NC, the sacrifice of Christ made a way for God's Spirit to live inside us even before we are perfectly in His image. From this position, the Holy Spirit is able to "write His laws on our hearts" (Jeremiah 31:33, 2 Corinthians 3:6)He did not do all this so we can live like children of the devil and yet still call ourselves sons of God.

It is not hard to interpret Colossians 1:21-23so long we keep in mind the simple tenses of the verbs and refrain from importing "paradigms" until the work of exegesis is done.

21And you, who once were alienated and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds

The word "alienated" speaks of Colossian's past. Using the perfect participle shows it as an active state IN THE PAST.

22a he has now reconciled in his body of flesh by his death,

This was about an event (their reconciliation to God) that happened and was completed IN THE PAST.

22b in order to present you holy and blameless and above reproach before him

This part of the verse refers to the ultimate "presentation" of the believer to Christ. It is a FUTURE event. The Father's INTENTION and PURPOSE is that when that time arrives we will be standing before him holy, blameless and above reproach.

Had Paul left off the rest of the passage here we might get the idea that this end is already settled and secure. Then it would be stating that SINCE we are "blameless and above reproach" now then we necessarily will be THEN. However, Paul adds a condition:

23 IF indeed you continue in the faith, stable and steadfast, not shifting from the hope of the gospel that you heard, which has been proclaimed in all creation under heaven, and of which I, Paul, became a minister.

The condition for our being among those who will be "presented blameless and above reproach before Him" is that we

(1) CONTINUE IN THE FAITH (i.e., continuing in our faith-relationship to Christ) and that we

(2) ARE NOT MOVED AWAY FROM THE GOSPEL (i.e., that we do not reject or abandon the truth that saved us).

You asked before where the warning was. Here it is. In fact, there is both hope AND warning in this verse, depending on whether our eyes are "fixed on Him" or whether we, like Lot's wife, are looking longingly back to the pleasures of sin.

The exegesis of this passage is so simple and its meaning so clear that it requires a considerable subversion of hermeneutics to make it mean anything else. Ultimately, what it shows is that Paul did not teach a gospel of antinomianism.

Amen! Welcome aboard!

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Where is your reply to my last and the one before that? Its been so long and so many I am loosing track. Perhaps that this is just your way to change the subject?

Post numbers, please.

So far as I know, I've responded to everything.

That is except for where you are trying to get me to read your mind. I don't participate in such things.

The only thing I'll give you is that Jesus said exactly what He meant and whatever passage you have in mind means EXACTLY what it seems to say - IN CONTEXT! The book of Revelation is written to and about ISRAEL, not the Body of Christ.

Now, if you have a point to make, make it.

Or don't, I don't care which. You've proven to be jerk that has no intention of having a real conversation anyway so suit yourself.

Resting in Him,
Clete

heir

TOL Subscriber
Act 10:36 The word which God sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ: (he is Lord of all:)
Act 10:37 That word, I say, ye know, which was published throughout all Judaea, and began from Galilee, after the baptism which John preached;
Act 10:38 How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.
Act 10:39 And we are witnesses of all things which he did both in the land of the Jews, and in Jerusalem; whom they slew and hanged on a tree:
Act 10:40 Him God raised up the third day, and shewed him openly;
Act 10:41 Not to all the people, but unto witnesses chosen before of God, even to us, who did eat and drink with him after he rose from the dead.
Act 10:42 And he commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is he which was ordained of God to be the Judge of quick and dead.
Act 10:43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.
Act 10:44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
Act 10:45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
Act 10:47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
Act 10:48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.
The gospel of Christ isn't there!

Cross Reference

You didn't specify what the danger is.

And he never suggests a word about losing your salvation. He's making the same point he made in Galatians 5 when he said...

Galatians 5:2 Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing.​

He's saying in THIS life. He's talking about sanctification, not salvation. Context is everything.

Resting in Him,
Clete

P.S Hey! You changed your post while I was responding to it! That's cheating.

Paul isn't saying you have to obey commandments, he says just the opposite! (Colossians 2:20-22)

How one leaves this life having received salvation will determine his destination in heaven. Do you agree with that? That is the message Paul tries to convey and that is the essence of the gospel Jesus Preached.

heir

TOL Subscriber
"If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister"
Colossians 1:23 (KJV)

"If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled" 'in the gospel that came before me that Jesus preached unto His Disciples for which I am made a minister as they are.'
:nono:

Matthew 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

If what Paul preached were the same gospel as you say above: the end would have come, but the end didn't come proving yet again that it's NOT the same gospel!

(not to mention that you took Colossians 1:23 KJV out of context)

give it up!

heir

TOL Subscriber
Paul's message is not different. Being the apostle to the Gentiles, his intended audience is different, in most of his letters, and also some mysteries the Lord clarified through Paul, but Paul's teachings are in keeping with and an expansion of the same teachings of the Lord Jesus, those things universal the Lord taught.
The "but now" where the righteousness of God without the law is manifested (Romans 3:21-22 KJV) is most certainly different than what the Lord preached on earth (Matthew 23:1-3 KJV, John 14:15 KJV)!

There are not multiple gospels, as some claim, rather truth expanded upon by Paul's ministry, as surely as scripture is an ongoing, unfolding revelation of God's dealings with Israel, first, then all mankind, through the gospel of the Lord Jesus.
Something that was kept secret since the world began, but now is made manifest,...which Paul's gospel was as saith the scripture:

Romans 16:25 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,

Romans 16:26 But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:

Romans 16:27 To God only wise, be glory through Jesus Christ for ever. Amen.

is not the same as that which was spoken by the mouth of all God's holy prophets since the world began (Acts 3:21 KJV) so no need to say it's all the same when clearly it can't be!

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
. . . and one has to be very foolish to believe it isn't.
Galatians 2:7-8 New King James Version (NKJV)

7 But on the contrary, when they saw that the gospel for the uncircumcised had been committed to me, as the gospel for the circumcised was to Peter
8 (for He who worked effectively in Peter for the apostleship to the circumcised also worked effectively in me toward the Gentiles),

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Galatians 2:7-8 New King James Version (NKJV)

7 But on the contrary, when they saw that the gospel for the uncircumcised had been committed to me, as the gospel for the circumcised was to Peter
8 (for He who worked effectively in Peter for the apostleship to the circumcised also worked effectively in me toward the Gentiles),

The only difference in that verse is the circumcised and the uncircumcised.

The gospel is the same.

There are not two gospels, never were, never will be.

Eph 4:4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
Eph 4:5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
Eph 4:6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

LA

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The only difference in that verse is the circumcised and the uncircumcised.

The gospel is the same.

There are not two gospels, never were, never will be.

Eph 4:4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
Eph 4:5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
Eph 4:6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

LA
I'll let you take that up with Peter in Acts chapter 2 and with Paul in 1 Corinthians 15.

Cross Reference

1 Corinthians 2:6-8 KJV

"Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, *in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith— that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, that by any means possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead." Philippians 3:8-11 (ESV)

*Such a desire is what one receives when he is born again. Nothing else suffices, does it? I would say, Paul certainly understood that. Try believing that as he did.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
:nono:

Matthew 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

If what Paul preached were the same gospel as you say above: the end would have come, but the end didn't come proving yet again that it's NOT the same gospel!

(not to mention that you took Colossians 1:23 KJV out of context)

give it up!

Every generation has to hear the same gospel.

In order for the whole world to be judged as to who will live on mortally and who will die, (the days of Noah) the one and only gospel of Christ will be preached in power throughout the world in the last 3.5 years before Christ returns to raise the saints to Himself in the clouds.

Rev.ch 14 Rev.ch 11, Priests and Prophets of the Bride.

Fruit thereof, the great multitude of Rev.ch 7.

The overcomer saints of all ages- Rev.ch 21.

LA

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Every generation has to hear the same gospel.

In order for the whole world to be judged as to who will live on mortally and who will die, (the days of Noah) the one and only gospel of Christ will be preached in power throughout the world in the last 3.5 years before Christ returns to raise the saints to Himself in the clouds.

Rev.ch 14 Rev.ch 11, Priests and Prophets of the Bride.

Fruit thereof, the great multitude of Rev.ch 7.

The overcomer saints of all ages- Rev.ch 21.

LA

Do you believe that you need to be water baptized to be saved?