How are light-years measured?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
We measure how far away an object was using Pythagoras theorem. We can then determine how many light years it took for the light to get here. Then, if the object is moving, we can find out where it is now.
If an object is moving and it takes half a year to make the determination of where it is by parallax, does that mean our conclusion about where it is is skewed?

OCTOBER23

where the center of the universe

-- First you have to undo Orions Belt and find his bellybutton.

Job 38:31 Canst thou bind the sweet influences of Pleiades, or loose the bands of Orion?

Job 9:9 Which maketh Arcturus, Orion, and Pleiades, and the chambers of the south.

Am 5:8 Seek him that maketh the seven stars and Orion, and turneth the shadow of death into the morning, and maketh the day dark with night: that calleth for the waters of the sea, and poureth them out upon the face of the earth: The LORD is his name:

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
By uniform, I mean that the distribution of galaxies and gas has the same broad pattern in every direction we look. The background radiation is very nearly identical in every direction - identical to such a degree it placed severe limitations on the possible differences. Since everywhere looks the same, and the same near as far, then the universe should look the same from any location and looking in any direction.
Obviously when we look at the sky we observe different objects. What does it mean for everywhere to look the same?
Yes. The steps to confirm the accelerating expansion have been carried out independently and there is a strong consensus.
Independently in regard to what?

Also, if this is true there are two questions I have.

We mentioned the edge of the universe and if there is one. What about the universe expanding at different rates in different locations, extended to (theoretically?) discuss the observations of these edges if possible?

The other item of concern I have is one discovery overriding or challenging another. In terms of measurement, for example, if we observe an object is faint and we observe a red shift on faint objects, is that red shift the same or different? An object can be fainter than the distance we determined? What is measuring what? These are two different observations, and how we evaluate these observations or measurements in respect to each other is important... and back to the fact that we are observing light which has a speed and we are determining distance with parallax though in respect to different (astronomical) objects. Perhaps faintness has to do with luminosity? But luminosity is a study in itself. We come back to how a traveling body which emits a constant sound does sound different depending on its direction... whether it is traveling toward us or away from us, and at what distance to the side as well. The speed of sound and the speed of light... how were they determined?
Our galaxy is gravitationally bound and immune to the current rate of expansion, as is the local cluster of galaxies and probably the extended cluster. The expansion effect is very weak on these relatively short distances.
Would you say this is true of all the galaxies, not just our own?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
And, if the Universe is shape like a Klein bottle (a four-dimensional sphere) then every point in the universe is the center of the universe. Consider the 3-dimensional equivalent of the surface of a sphere.
This simply changes our perspective on observation. It does not change the objects we observe.

gcthomas

If an object is moving and it takes half a year to make the determination of where it is by parallax, does that mean our conclusion about where it is is skewed?

If you followed the link and looked at the graph I indicated earlier, you'd have seen how the annual parallax and proper motion can be separated and analysed independently.

Caledvwlch

What does this say for whether or not the universe has an edge? I would assume this would say it does not. Then the question is if it had a beginning.

I am not equipped, after fifteen minutes of wikipedia, to answer this question. I do know, that the more we learn about the universe, the weirder it gets. And that makes me giggle.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
where the center of the universe

-- First you have to undo Orions Belt and find his bellybutton.

Job 38:31 Canst thou bind the sweet influences of Pleiades, or loose the bands of Orion?

Job 9:9 Which maketh Arcturus, Orion, and Pleiades, and the chambers of the south.

Am 5:8 Seek him that maketh the seven stars and Orion, and turneth the shadow of death into the morning, and maketh the day dark with night: that calleth for the waters of the sea, and poureth them out upon the face of the earth: The LORD is his name:
Are you talking about the constellations?

I'm not discussing Orion's belly button. I don't know that he has one and I think you are being silly.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
If you followed the link and looked at the graph I indicated earlier, you'd have seen how the annual parallax and proper motion can be separated and analysed independently.
I have gone to each of the links in the thread, and I didn't find anything conclusive about this matter. Would you like to remind me or show me?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I am not equipped, after fifteen minutes of wikipedia, to answer this question. I do know, that the more we learn about the universe, the weirder it gets. And that makes me giggle.
If a thing can be measured a short distance away from you, then so can a thing a long or far distance away from you be measured.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Which I believe is the principle behind the homogenous universe theory.
I'm not sure about that, but measuring (the distance of) an object on the earth is different from measuring the distance to a star by parallax or to measure something even further away by observing light.

So if we can measure something 5 feet away, and we can then measure something 10 feet away, does that mean we can measure something a light-year away?

gcthomas

I'm not sure about that, but measuring (the distance of) an object on the earth is different from measuring the distance to a star by parallax or to measure something even further away by observing light.

So if we can measure something 5 feet away, and we can then measure something 10 feet away, does that mean we can measure something a light-year away?

If the size of the earth is measured, then that can be used as the basis of measuring the distance of Venus by the parallax method as it passes in front of the sun. Then we know the distance to the sun by knowledge of orbits.

With the distance across earth's orbit as the baseline you can triangulate the positions of many stars.

Some nearby stars (Cepheid Variable stars) communicate their absolute luminosities with their period of brightness variation, so this pattern can by used to judge the distances of many near and middle distance galaxies. (the dimmer they appear the further the are, and this can be calculated)

In many of those measured galaxies there have been Type 1A supernovae. Enough to determine that their intrinsic brightnesses are uniform, so they can be used to determine the distance of even more distant galaxies, since they are much brighter than Cepheids.

And so the scales of the universe are known, with the redshifts giving expansion rates.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
If the size of the earth is measured, then that can be used as the basis of measuring the distance of Venus by the parallax method as it passes in front of the sun. Then we know the distance to the sun by knowledge of orbits.

With the distance across earth's orbit as the baseline you can triangulate the positions of many stars.

Some nearby stars (Cepheid Variable stars) communicate their absolute luminosities with their period of brightness variation, so this pattern can by used to judge the distances of many near and middle distance galaxies. (the dimmer they appear the further the are, and this can be calculated)

In many of those measured galaxies there have been Type 1A supernovae. Enough to determine that their intrinsic brightnesses are uniform, so they can be used to determine the distance of even more distant galaxies, since they are much brighter than Cepheids.

And so the scales of the universe are known, with the redshifts giving expansion rates.
Your post doesn't make sense to me.

Can you explain the method of calculation by parallax of venus in front of the sun (without looking at the sun that is :) )?