How are light-years measured?

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I am interested to know the answer to this question.

It seems to me that something that is for example a light-year away, if that could be measured, would only appear to us as it did a year ago and not as it is now. If we cannot observe it as it is now, how do we know how far away it is?

Relatively near stars can be measured by parallax. It means that look at a star at a certain exact time of year and measure the angle it is from earth.
Then you wait 6 months until the earth has moved round to the opposite side of the sun and you measure the angle again. You then just do some simple trigonometry (because you know far it is from one side of the sun to the opposite side as earth orbits) and work out the distance to the star.
It's not very accurate because our sun will be moving relative to the other star. But you hope that in 6 months it won't be too far out.
Nothing much in astronomy is all that accurate. Give or take a few billion miles is pretty close to perfection in the grand scheme.

In terms of stars, you cannot know for sure what is happening now. Even with our own sun, it takes about 8 minutes for light to arrive here. So if the sun suddenly ceased to exist, we would still be bathed in light and experience orbital motion for 8 minutes and then it would be darkness and chaos. But I can't think why you would want to know where a star was now or what it was doing now. Such information is purely academic because we only know what we can see.

Over longer distances (intergalactic) you measure by red shift. The assumption is that the chemicals in space are the same chemicals as on earth. Indeed the same all over the universe. There isn't a different periodic table in different galaxies.
This assumption means that each chemical element gives off a specific combination of wavelengths of light. Element A gives off a spectrum of X and element B gives off a spectrum of Y. And - this is important - there is nothing in between X and Y.

So if you see the spectral signature of an element that looks a lot like that of element A except that it is shifted 30% towards the blue end of the spectrum, then such an element does not exist in the periodic table so it must element be A that is producing it but the source of the light is moving towards us at 30% of the speed of light. Such relative motion would cause the spectral signature to be compressed in much the same way as the sound of a train appears high pitched as it approaches you and lower pitched as it hurtles away from you. Most of the distant galaxies we observe are red-shifted, meaning that they are hurtling away from us.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
That is a good question.

The distance in light years is defined as the product of the speed of light and the time the light has taken to arrive, which effectively means how far was it away when the light was emitted. (Specifically: the light-travel distance)

The distance that object is now is called the proper distance, and has to be calculated to allow for the motion in the intervening time. It can't be directly measured.

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distance_measures_(cosmology)
I'm not sure whether I should think about measuring distance or think about what is a red shift.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
UNTELECTUAL

TYPE GOOGLE SEARCH ON YOUR COMPUTER

AND THEN YOU TYPE - ASTRONOMICAL UNIT AU

AND NEXT YOU TYPE - STAR TREK YOUTUBE

AND NEXT YOU TYPE - BBC WORLD NEWS
I don't know why you would say this.

Why Star Trek and why BBC World News? I am a United States Citizen and I don't have a great interest in Star Trek.

Maybe I should look at the definition of an astronomical unit?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I checked with an astronomer I know, Riley Sinder, and he writes:

The unit usually used in professional astrometry is the distance that light travels in vacuum in one Julian year. Because it includes the word year, the term light-year is most often used when expressing distances to stars and other distances on a light year.

Astronomers do the same thing when figuring out the distance at which one astronomical unit subtends an angle of one second of arc. A 1987 monograph by Australian creationist Barry Setterfield had stimulated me to examine this problem.

If we cannot observe it as it is now, how do we know how long a foot or a meter is -- you are comfortable with these units because you use them every day. "Light year" is just a unit called a light switch – there it is! We don’t have to wait for the room to light up.

You are used to measuring distances in either inches/feet/miles or centimeters/meters/kilometers, depending on where you live.

We don't directly measure distances to anything light years away by timing light.

"Light year" is just thousands of years old, and yet we can see stars that are billions of light-years away. The distances are gigantic.

I thought he might be able to explain it in a way you could understand. (WFTH-I)
This doesn't help me.

Here is why... I can measure a think using a ruler or a yard stick because we have a standard measure for an inch or a foot. The same could be said for metric units. But light cannot be measured by these distances.

This comes back to what is the speed of light and how do we know.

Then how do we know the distance of any astronomical object?

What is a red shift and how do we know this is relevant to measuring distances?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Light travels at 186,000 miles per second.

Lightng travels at half that which is 93,000 miles per second.

Angels travel at the speed of lightning.

Eze 1:14 And the living creatures ran and returned as the appearance of a flash of lightning.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eze 1:13 As for the likeness of the living creatures, their appearance was like burning coals of fire, and like the appearance of lamps: it went up and down among the living creatures; and the fire was bright, and out of the fire went forth lightning.
Da 10:6 His body also was like the beryl, and his face as the appearance of lightning, and his eyes as lamps of fire, and his arms and his feet like in colour to polished brass, and the voice of his words like the voice of a multitude.
Mt 28:3 His countenance was like lightning, and his raiment white as snow:
These are interesting verses. I do not understand them.

Lightning, or a flash or lightening, is very fast.

Caledvwlch

These are interesting verses. I do not understand them.

Neither does OCTOBER23, apparently. So angels move as fast as lightning? (Resisting urge to link to a youtube version of Carl Douglas' Kung Fu Fighting) Like, all the time, or just when they feel like it?

Lightning, or a flash or lightening, is very fast.

Or, as we would say up here in NH, "Wicked fast, bub."

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Relatively near stars can be measured by parallax. It means that look at a star at a certain exact time of year and measure the angle it is from earth.
Then you wait 6 months until the earth has moved round to the opposite side of the sun and you measure the angle again. You then just do some simple trigonometry (because you know far it is from one side of the sun to the opposite side as earth orbits) and work out the distance to the star.
It's not very accurate because our sun will be moving relative to the other star. But you hope that in 6 months it won't be too far out.
Nothing much in astronomy is all that accurate. Give or take a few billion miles is pretty close to perfection in the grand scheme.

In terms of stars, you cannot know for sure what is happening now. Even with our own sun, it takes about 8 minutes for light to arrive here. So if the sun suddenly ceased to exist, we would still be bathed in light and experience orbital motion for 8 minutes and then it would be darkness and chaos. But I can't think why you would want to know where a star was now or what it was doing now. Such information is purely academic because we only know what we can see.

Over longer distances (intergalactic) you measure by red shift. The assumption is that the chemicals in space are the same chemicals as on earth. Indeed the same all over the universe. There isn't a different periodic table in different galaxies.
This assumption means that each chemical element gives off a specific combination of wavelengths of light. Element A gives off a spectrum of X and element B gives off a spectrum of Y. And - this is important - there is nothing in between X and Y.

So if you see the spectral signature of an element that looks a lot like that of element A except that it is shifted 30% towards the blue end of the spectrum, then such an element does not exist in the periodic table so it must element be A that is producing it but the source of the light is moving towards us at 30% of the speed of light. Such relative motion would cause the spectral signature to be compressed in much the same way as the sound of a train appears high pitched as it approaches you and lower pitched as it hurtles away from you. Most of the distant galaxies we observe are red-shifted, meaning that they are hurtling away from us.
This explains the basics of how these measurements could possibly be done.

I don't know which of these measurements would have been attempted first, perhaps parallax and a near star. But in this method how would you determine the angle from theoretically two locations? Would a person take data for an entire year of days?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Neither does OCTOBER23, apparently. So angels move as fast as lightning? (Resisting urge to link to a youtube version of Carl Douglas' Kung Fu Fighting) Like, all the time, or just when they feel like it?

Or, as we would say up here in NH, "Wicked fast, bub."
Your post here reminds me of this verse for some reason.

Hebrews 1:7 NASB - And of the angels He says, "WHO MAKES HIS ANGELS WINDS, AND HIS MINISTERS A FLAME OF FIRE."

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
I am interested to know the answer to this question.

It seems to me that something that is for example a light-year away, if that could be measured, would only appear to us as it did a year ago and not as it is now. If we cannot observe it as it is now, how do we know how far away it is?
You might start here. There is no one simple answer.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
This explains the basics of how these measurements could possibly be done.

I don't know which of these measurements would have been attempted first, perhaps parallax and a near star. But in this method how would you determine the angle from theoretically two locations? Would a person take data for an entire year of days?

You just point your telescope at the star and measure the angle it makes with something fixed like true north pole. It doesn't really matter so long as you use the same method to get a bearing when you are on the other side of the sun. You then work out what the angles are to the star from the line that joins the two points in space where you took the measurements from. It's just basic trigonometry.
Earth is about 93 million miles from the sun so you can get a base line of 186m miles. The larger the base line the more accurate you will be. But it wouldn't help much to take a bearing every day because your base line would not be long enough.
To make sure that you had the right base line you must time your measurements so that they each take place on exactly opposite positions to the sun about 6 months apart.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
You just point your telescope at the star and measure the angle it makes with something fixed like true north pole. It doesn't really matter so long as you use the same method to get a bearing when you are on the other side of the sun. You then work out what the angles are to the star from the line that joins the two points in space where you took the measurements from. It's just basic trigonometry.
Earth is about 93 million miles from the sun so you can get a base line of 186m miles. The larger the base line the more accurate you will be. But it wouldn't help much to take a bearing every day because your base line would not be long enough.
To make sure that you had the right base line you must time your measurements so that they each take place on exactly opposite positions to the sun about 6 months apart.
Certainly the length of a half year is half the length of time of a year, which perhaps would need to be determined.

As for an angle, you are talking about more than one. You are using an angle to get an angle somehow?

Jedidiah

Earth is about 93 million miles from the sun so you can get a base line of 186m miles.
Anybody else a bit creeped out that it takes exactly 1,000 seconds for light to travel from one end of the earth's orbit to the other ?

Just me then.

:carryon:

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Anybody else a bit creeped out that it takes exactly 1,000 seconds for light to travel from one end of the earth's orbit to the other ?

Just me then.

:carryon:
I don't know that it does.

What do you know of that determines this? What is measuring what?