Homophobia

Truster

There was an article about how disgusting homophobic's are in our local paper today. I was a little upset about this so I added this comment. I fully expect it to be deleted.

''Homophobia is a fear of homosexuals and it can't be helped. I'm homophobic and I can honestly say it is not through choice...its the way I am and I would ask people to accept me the way I am''.

Is this not a reasonable request?

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
There was an article about how disgusting homophobic's are in our local paper today. I was a little upset about this so I added this comment. I fully expect it to be deleted.

''Homophobia is a fear of homosexuals and it can't be helped. I'm homophobic and I can honestly say it is not through choice...its the way I am and I would ask people to accept me the way I am''.

Elton John made the same request.

GFR7

Unfortunately, you're fighting a losing battle, as gay advocates have it all figured out. They always and everywhere say, "Being gay is not a choice. Being a hater is always a choice." They say this openly, and see no irony in what they're saying. :think:

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Homosexuality is an abomination to God! I think it
should be treated as a sin. Personally, GM couldn't
have a homosexuality as a friend! On the other hand
they ought not be discriminated against in the
workplace or any other establishment!

Truster

Just received a reply to my post.

-----I accept you the way you are.

To which I replied:

Thank you ------- its not my fault I was made this way. It was a very hard thing for me to do in coming out as homophobic, because there is so much hatred towards us. I've already received two red thumbs down. People are so nasty.

oldhermit

Defending homosexuality is a rationalization process by which people attempt to normalize deviant choices that cannot be justified through any psychological exercise. This is simply an attempt to placate a conscience that cannot harmonize the thing one desires and the moral limitations that prohibit the behavior. Homosexuality is not a biological issue, it is a sin issue. It is not socially acceptable behavior, it is a social and moral disgrace. Homosexuality is not an illness nor is it some type of genetic abnormality. It is certainly not engineered biologically at birth. Homosexuals are NOT born gay. This is nothing more than an attempt to appeal to the scientific community and call them as a witness against the defense of scripture to defend this perverted behavior. Homosexuality is a learned behavior and a matter of choice, not a predilection. There is no "pride" in it, nor should it be afforded any measure of dignity. IT IS SIN and in the end it will destroy all who engage in it or stand in its defense. Attempting to explain it away scientifically is simply an attempt to excuse the behavior and marginalize it's shame.

Huckleberry

Defending homosexuality is a rationalization process by which people attempt to normalize deviant choices that cannot be justified through any psychological exercise. This is simply an attempt to placate a conscience that cannot harmonize the thing one desires and the moral limitations that prohibit the behavior. Homosexuality is not a biological issue, it is a sin issue. It is not socially acceptable behavior, it is a social and moral disgrace. Homosexuality is not an illness nor is it some type of genetic abnormality. It is certainly not engineered biologically at birth. Homosexuals are NOT born gay. This is nothing more than an attempt to appeal to the scientific community and call them as a witness against the defense of scripture to defend this perverted behavior. Homosexuality is a learned behavior and a matter of choice, not a predilection. There is no "pride" in it, nor should it be afforded any measure of dignity. IT IS SIN and in the end it will destroy all who engage in it or stand in its defense. Attempting to explain it away scientifically is simply an attempt to excuse the behavior and marginalize it's shame.
I agree with everything you say here...but, let me suggest the possibility, for your consideration, that there is a middle ground between personal choice and biology. I do not think the sexual orientation itself is typically chosen and its development, just like heterosexuality, is largely out of one's control. Nonetheless most do embrace. But can that not be said of the average heterosexual as well, in this society where fornication is not merely accepted but even glorified?

Bearing in mind as well that this is true for man's sin nature itself. Not chosen but usually embraced. I don't think one can fairly, or rightly, despise a person for being homosexual. No more than one can despise another for being a sinner to begin with, at least. For embracing that sin and the championing of that sin that we see all around us today, that at least we can rightly despise.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Fags and their supporters will all be tormented day and night. Thank God!

alwight

Homosexuality is an abomination to God! I think it
should be treated as a sin. Personally, GM couldn't
have a homosexuality as a friend! On the other hand
they ought not be discriminated against in the
workplace or any other establishment!
One is NOT born gay. Being gay is a lust of the flesh and is a chosen,
sin.
Apparently then you chose to be heterosexual rather than homosexual because if you hadn't chosen to be heterosexual then you think that God would choose to consider you an abomination?
I don't think I ever had to choose, and I don't worry about what your God might think, nor could I choose to be gay, still it takes all types I suppose. :think:

gcthomas

Fags and their supporters will all be tormented day and night. Thank God!

It's funny that a cigar smoker wants to stamp out fags...

lets-face-it-you-could-get-hit-by-a-bus-tomorrow-go-on-have-a-fag.jpg

:idunno:

PureX

Well, your fears are not relevant to anyone but you. So in that sense I think it's an odd request, as it's asking for some special consideration that is neither necessary nor relevant to anyone but you.

Unless, the consideration you're asking for is related to how you BEHAVE toward others because of your fears. Your behavior toward those whom you fear may be a relevant issue to others if your behavior effects the lives of others.

Are you asking us to accept some behavior on your part that effects the lives of others?

Truster

Well, your fears are not relevant to anyone but you. So in that sense I think it's an odd request, as it's asking for some special consideration that is neither necessary nor relevant to anyone but you.

Unless, the consideration you're asking for is related to how you BEHAVE toward others because of your fears. Your behavior toward those whom you fear may be a relevant issue to others if your behavior effects the lives of others.

Are you asking us to accept some behavior on your part that effects the lives of others?

So you don't understand the point I was making?

PureX

So you don't understand the point I was making?
I understand it just fine. You were trying to play the victim of your own bigotry.

But no one else really cares about your bigotry (fear, as you want to call it) unless it manifests in actions that harm other people. And then we care not so much because you're a bigot, but because you want to harm other people.

Truster

I understand it just fine. You were trying to play the victim of your own bigotry.

But no one else really cares about your bigotry (fear, as you want to call it) unless it manifests in actions that harm other people. And then we care not so much because you're a bigot, but because you want to harm other people.

So I point out that I'm a bigot (homophobe) and you think you need to point that out to me? .....if that makes any sense to you.

alwight

As an old git myself I can remember when here in the UK being gay was against the law. It was common for most people, in their ignorance, to assume that homosexuals were simply evil perverts. I thought that way too, and I was just as homophobic as anyone else as I recall.

But the law didn't stop homosexuals being that way, that's just how it is. The law just drove homosexuality underground while most people could pretend that gays didn't exist or that they were just evil criminals.
Now, in arguably more enlightened times, we don't get away from our homophobia by pretending homosexuality doesn't exist, it is just a fact of life.

Having met many openly gay people since those times and have considered many as friends and good acquaintances, I certainly have no desire to become gay or even try it but I have pretty much lost my homophobia completely.
That said, if I'm honest some of the more extravert and overt gays I can still find a bit scary I suppose. Maybe homophobia is genetic too to some extent? :think:

It isn't good to spend your life with an unwarranted or irrational fear, which is why I'm glad that times have changed. Perhaps if you took the time to get to know ordinary gay people instead of simply vilifying them with doctrinal claptrap and hatred, you wouldn't have to become gay, but things might change for you too? :plain:

PureX

So I point out that I'm a bigot (homophobe) and you think you need to point that out to me? .....if that makes any sense to you.
You were trying to pretend that your bigotry isn't a choice, and you were looking to provoke a real or imagined attack for it so you could play the victim of some sort of 'counter-bigotry'. But the truth is that no one cares what you are afraid of, or whom you choose to despise because of your own fear and bigotry. All that matters to the rest of us is how you behave toward us as the result of your fear and bigotry. And even then, we only care if your behavior negatively effects our well-being, or the well-being of others.

However, if you come to places like TOL or the op-ed pages of newspapers, where we are all being invited to express our opinions, then of course you will find yourself being accosted and debated by people who disagree with you. But you are certainly not a 'victim' of their opinions in those instances. And in the case of the people whom you wish to harm because of your bigotry (gays), you are the victimizer, not the victim.