Homeschooling Robs Children

Rolf Ernst

Yeah, homeschooling robs children because it teaches them to read and think. The government schools are doing all they can to prevent their students from being deprived like that by deliberately dumbing them down, drugging them, and making sure they get a good close look at the violence and evil in the world by bringing both of them into the school. That way they won't be culturally deprived or shocked when they see drugs and sex in society and murder on the streets after they graduate with a diploma they can't read.

Last edited:

the Sibbie

Originally posted by Rolf Ernst

Yeah, homeschooling robs children because it teaches them to read and think. The government schools are doing all they can to prevent their students from being deprived like that by deliberately dumbing them down, drugging them, and making sure they get as good close look at the violence and evil in the world by bringing both of them into the school. That way they won't be culturally deprived or shocked when they see murder on the streets after they graduate with a diploma they can't read.
NOW YOU'RE TALKING! :rolleyes:

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Originally posted by Rolf Ernst
Yeah, homeschooling robs children because it teaches them to read and think. The government schools are doing all they can to prevent their students from being deprived like that by deliberately dumbing them down, drugging them, and making sure they get as good close look at the violence and evil in the world by bringing both of them into the school. That way they won't be culturally deprived or shocked when they see murder on the streets after they graduate with a diploma they can't read.
When did all this start, exactly?

I graduated HS in 1983, and I never experienced anything like that the whole time I was in school, and I was in a big inner city school in Alabama (second only to Mississippi in terms of crappy schools.).

the Sibbie

Originally posted by Crow

I met ebenz's kid and Christine and Elaine a few months ago. They weren't nutbars and they were 3 nice intelligent kids.

Then there are the kids my nephew hangs out with in his public school. And the get up they adopt over the summer. One, in particular, comes to mind....

Picture a somewhat dumpy kid of around 16. His hair is cut about 1/4 inch long all over his head except for 3 inch bangs which hang, lank and greasy, upon his pimple bespecked foreheand. The bangs are streaked blond (on black hair) in a manner resembling prison stripes. Blue spray paint or dye or who knows what has been applied to the rest of the hair in a somewhat dappled pattern. One eyebrow is pierced 3 times. He wears hoop earrings in both ears, and a zircon stud in his nose.

The t-shirt is black, sleveless, and conspicuously unclean. Eau de pitt is painfully evident.

He affects the layered look for his lower body. A layer of bare love handle, with a saucy hint of cleavage. A layer of exposed underwear. A layer of baggy pants, sagging in the manner of one who has loaded one's undergarment.

The sandals are of the style once known as "Ho Che Minh. The toenails are laquered black.

I guess it all depends on what you consider to be a nutbar. :chuckle:
Crow, that was painfully hilarious! :darwinsm:

the Sibbie

Originally posted by Crow

Sometimes, I just have to look at them, even though they're gross as heck. It's like passing a really horrible car wreck--no matter how civilized you pretend to be, you just gotta look.....
:darwinsm: !!!!

Originally posted by the Sibbie

That's not true. Even if you have the conviction, after being around people with lower standards, you convincing yourself that perhaps bending the rules a bit won't harm anything, even when you know in the back of your head that you shouldn't be doing this and later on regret giving in to temptation. I'll shamefully admit that I'm guilty of this. :(

Actually what you said resembles something my aunt recently said to me. I mentioned that my cousin should just get married already since they already live together (which is pretend marriage). She (what I consider to be a strong Christian) said "Why? This way they still have that option to leave if they wanted to." Which shocked me coming from her. I told her, "But they are already acting like they are married. A piece of paper won't make much of a difference." She told me, "Well if they had the conviction that co-habiting is wrong they wouldn't do it." But I know that isn't true since there are plenty of Christians that do the very same thing, even if they know it's wrong. It's called weakness (in that state peer-pressure doesn't help). Just because someone can't overcome something doesn't make it right.

I think we all have that weakness. It's part of being human.

If you fell to temptation, ask yourself - what tempted you? Your body? Or the influence of your friends?

I see your point that the influence of others can make it harder to resist the desires of the body, but that doesn't change the fact that it is the desires of the body that is the prime motivator. I've never met anyone who has sex solely because it's socially "cool". I believe the converse is true: Being sexually active is socially "cool" because sex is something that is desirable for (most) people.

It seems as it takes a powerful motivator to willingly abstain from what are biologically wired to do. For some people (myself :ha: ) a lack of a partner, or waiting for a partner to be willing, is quite the motivator. For others, religious conviction does the trick...

Christine

Originally posted by lighthouse

Well, I'm saying it now. Christine, you have been very disrespectful in your attitude towards SOTK.
Brandon, I realize that when it comes to education (homeschooling VS. public-schooling) we are of differing views. Put our differences aside for a moment and read what I said and what SOTK said. If you were not of the same mindset he is, would you think me disrespectful?

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Christine

Brandon, I realize that when it comes to education (homeschooling VS. public-schooling) we are of differing views. Put our differences aside for a moment and read what I said and what SOTK said. If you were not of the same mindset he is, would you think me disrespectful?

Christine, you and I agree about homeschooling vs. public schooling and I think you were very disrespectful to SOTK here. IMHO, there's no call for that at all.

SOTK

SOTK, the "others" you refer to our yourself and Firechyld. Unless I've forgotten someone, there was no one else saying that I was being disrespectful.

SINNED How? By supposedly disrespecting you???

I have not changed. Perhaps your outlook on me has. Do I have some growing up to do, sure, but I'm not sure it's in the areas you think it is. My parents (the ones that matter here) see nothing wrong with what I do.

SOTK, you refer back quite a bit to the "other thread." Have you read our dialouge there lately? I asked you questions that were short and to the point. I could have been taken as being "curt" but I fail to see how I was disrespectful. However, the way you came at me, just because I asked you a few questions was quite strong. By the way, my father has cautioned me about how I debate with adults, such as yourself, who are older than me. He has told me to be respectful and courteous, but that is not to prevent me from debating with them or telling them they are wrong. How are you defining disrespectful?

Christine,

You either don't get it or you don't care. Personally, I think it's the latter. Either way, I really don't have much else to discuss with you. As long as you remain unrepentant, I don't see much need for us to continue to dialogue.

SOTK

P.S. My 10 year old read what you wrote in the other thread and wanted to know why you talked to me like that. I wonder why she could pick up on your disrespectful attitude and you can't??

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SOTK

Yes, all this from a room full of experts in here. :yawn: I noticed most of you are parents. :rolleyes:
SOTK uses the :rolleyes: smilie.

He doesn't think someone's qualified to speak on an issue unless they've "been there, done that." :rolleyes:
Christine uses the :rolleyes: smilie.

Date of birth issues (elder/youngin') aside, neither party was considerably more disrespectful than the other. But, I am biased, I like both SOTK and Christine, and hate to see any of them bellyache over this. Hopefully we'll all remember this is a "bring your thick-skin" kind of board and move on.

:noid:

Christine

Originally posted by ebenz47037

Christine, you and I agree about homeschooling vs. public schooling and I think you were very disrespectful to SOTK here. IMHO, there's no call for that at all.
:nori: I have respect for you and your opinions. However, I believe :lucky: already pointed out why I don't see that as being disrespectful. FYI, if it's the smilie ( :rolleyes: ) that gets you, I did consider leaving it out, but since SOTK used it, I thought "why not."

Christine

Originally posted by SOTK

Christine,

You either don't get it or you don't care. Personally, I think it's the latter. Either way, I really don't have much else to discuss with you. As long as you remain unrepentant, I don't see much need for us to continue to dialogue.
I don't see much need for continued dialogue either, but you're the one that's jumping in every time I start a homeschooling discussion. Oh, and I'm not unrepentant. If there was something to repent from, I would repent.

P.S. My 10 year old read what you wrote in the other thread and wanted to know why you talked to me like that. I wonder why she could pick up on your disrespectful attitude and you can't??
Either you're not telling all that your daughter said, or the girl didn't see it as disrespectful. You don't quote her as saying I was disrespectful. It could be that your daughter wondered why someone was questioning her fathers beliefs. I know if I was her age I would probably assume my father was right, and would wonder why someone would question him. Try showing her other debates with other people you've been involved in on TOL and she if she doesn't have the same reaction ("Why are they talking to you like that?")

Christine

Originally posted by Lucky
Date of birth issues (elder/youngin') aside, neither party was considerably more disrespectful than the other. But, I am biased, I like both SOTK and Christine, and hate to see any of them bellyache over this. Hopefully we'll all remember this is a "bring your thick-skin" kind of board and move on.
I have no intention of "bellyaching" over this, :lucky: However, if it continues to come up, I feel I should defend myself. :)

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

:nori: I have respect for you and your opinions. However, I believe :lucky: already pointed out why I don't see that as being disrespectful. FYI, if it's the smilie ( :rolleyes: ) that gets you, I did consider leaving it out, but since SOTK used it, I thought "why not."

Christine, I don't have any more or less respect for you. It had nothing to do with the smilie. It was what you said. In a way, it's funny because I usually tell :jessilu: that it's pretty much the way she says something and not what she says. In this case, it was what you said, not how you said it.

I asked SOTK what he meant by his comment. And, you decided to tell me what you thought. And, as I told you in my PM, if it hadn't been for the stuff I'm going through with my mom right now, I probably wouldn't have said a word. I've kept my opinion to myself throughout this whole thing with you and SOTK until now.

I care very deeply for both you and SOTK. You need to realize that it's not your job to convince him that he should homeschool his kids. The way you've been going about trying to convince him of the error of his ways is obviously not working. If anything, it's turning him further against homeschooling.

In this case, I think you need to learn a little tact. :) In my opinion, what you said was disrespectful to SOTK. I know you (and others) don't see it that way. I watched the whole thing between you and SOTK in the other thread as well. I noticed that he didn't start getting disrespectful of you until you wouldn't lay off telling him that he was wrong, under any circumstances, for sending his children to public school. It's not your call, Christine. It's his.

He felt that your harping on him about homeschooling after he told you that it was his decision was disrespectful. You, obviously, don't think it is disrespectful to tell an adult parent how to raise his children.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by Lucky

SOTK uses the :rolleyes: smilie.

Christine uses the :rolleyes: smilie.

:noid:

Lucky's right.

I've briefly researched this 'feud' [:chuckle:] and I don't see a problem.

I am a Homeschool StepDad and appreciate what it takes to homeschool children, but SOTK made a valid point when he said that some homeschoolers overtly attack the public school system and attack the parents of children in Public schools. Some parents don't homeschool for any number of reasons, that doesn't mean they should be derided.

There is nothing wrong with vehemently disagreeing with each other, God knows I don't have a problem with using strong, condecending language, but I don't think there is any reason for either SOTK or Christine to hold a grudge. This is 'lightweight' compared to a lot of other arguments I've seen at TOL.

Trust me! :angel:

Move on to the next topic, don your thick skin and let it rip!

:BillyBob:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I'm beginning to rethink my stance on the academics of homeschooling being better.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by lighthouse

I'm beginning to rethink my stance on the academics of homeschooling being better.

What are you talking about, Gerald was Publically schooled!!! :freak:

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm not necessarily implying that it has anything to do with Public Education. Christine knows what I'm talking about. The comment was meant towards her, obviously, and not you. My kids attitude and behaviorisms come from my wife and I and our instruction of the Bible. In other words, they don't need homeschooling to be brought up right in Christ.
My comment had little to do with your discussion with Christine. I was talking about your kids in public school. They will have respect for their elders despite their public school training, not because of it. Did you read what John Gatto had to say? The evidence is compelling.

Shame?? You ought to be ashamed of yourself for even stooping to such a ridiculous and hurtful remark!
The man doth protest too much, methinks; "ridiculous and hurtful remark!"? C'mon, it wasn't that bad. Your kids are in danger, you should reconsider. But I'll admit that shaming you into the correct position may not be the best tactic. However, please listen to sound reason and remove your kids from public school.

My family is quite happy with our decisions regarding education...
Then you don't understand the danger your children are in.

... and we do not require nor want your service.
I see you no problem dishing it out. Why can't you take it?

Instead, what we should have is your support, brotherly love, and acceptance.
I should support the destruction of your children with brotherly love and acceptance? Now that really upsets me. If someone told you to accept a mother murdering her children with "brotherly love", wouldn't you be incensed at that suggestion?

Obviously, that's too much to ask of you. Kindly reserve your "shame" for yourself.
It's not too much to ask. Just convince me that public schools don't destroy kids as the mountains of evidence so far shows they do. And BTW, there is no shame in being on the side with the greatest evidence, so why do you suggest that I reserve my shame for myself?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I was publicly schooled as well, but I know the difference between "are" and "our." As do many of my frineds who were in public school. And I know kids from public school who don't. As well as some other things. And I have noticed that there are the same differences in homeschooled kids, as well. So I'm not sure what to think anymore.