Homeschooling Robs Children

SOTK

Originally posted by Christine

He doesn't think someone's qualified to speak on an issue unless they've "been there, done that." :rolleyes:

Are you dense? My problem with you and how you disrespected me was explained quite clearly by myself and others in that last homeschooling thread of yours. I stated often in that last thread that I respected your right to your opinions as long as you respected mine. As far as I am concerned, you sinned against me and remain unrepentant about it. I used to have a lot of respect for you, Christine, eventhough we haven't seen eye to eye on certain issues. Obviously, that has changed. You crossed the line and it's obvious to me you have a lot of growing up to do.

I can tell you one thing; my kids might be in public education but they would never disrespect their elders as you have done nor be blinded by their own pride.

In Christ,

SOTK

Last edited:

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I can tell you one thing; my kids might be in public education but they would never disrespect their elders as you have done nor be blinded by their own pride.
That's great. I just hope you realize that it will be in spite of public school, not because of it.

This guy isn't even a Christian. You can read a lot of what he has to say, just look him up on the internet: Underground History of American Education by John Taylor Gatto.

If you can be shamed into getting your kids out of public school, that would be my honored service to you and your children.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Yorzhik

That's great. I just hope you realize that it will be in spite of public school, not because of it.

This guy isn't even a Christian. You can read a lot of what he has to say, just look him up on the internet: Underground History of American Education by John Taylor Gatto.

If you can be shamed into getting your kids out of public school, that would be my honored service to you and your children.

Yorzhik,

It is not our job, as homeschooling parents, to shame non-homeschooling parents into pulling their kids out of public schools. I believe, without a doubt, that homeschooling is the best thing for children and for parents. But, I also believe, without a doubt, that it is the parents' responsibility to decide what is best for their children, not their friends' children, or their neighbors' children, or even their nieces and nephews.

There are families who do have to have the income from two working parents (I don't know if this is the case in SOTK's family or not). My own opinion should have nothing to do with how they raise their kids unless they ask me for advice.

What you're trying to do to SOTK right now is pretty much the same thing my own family is trying to do to me about putting my daughter back in public school. But, I'll tell you like I tell my own family. It's none of your business what he does about his childrens' educations.

I don't mean to be rude to you. But, I honestly get tired of people telling parents how to raise their children. I hear this all the time. Most of the homeschooling parents I know believe that it's the best thing for children to be homeschooled. But, they also recognize that they cannot force parents to do what they do.

Crow

Originally posted by Gerald
Are you certain that bizarro and basically harmless is preferable to...the alternative...? :noid:

Just doing my part to curdle the milk of human kindness... ;)

The school my nephew goes has one of the worst bunches of kids I have ever seen. The school expects almost nothing of their students, and it shows. Take my nephew. He has a D+ average, and yet he was passed into the next grade. He reads on about a 3rd grade level, and he's in the 9th. And there's nothing wrong with his smarts--he's just not going to do what doesn't interest him.

He's going to make his own decisions regarding what he believes, regardless of where he gets (or doesn't get) his education. We've had a few discussions about religion and faith, and he's undecided. I'm concerned, but I realize that not all people make their choices early--I was over 40 when I did.

I don't want him to be 25, unable to hold a job, and hanging out with junkies.

If kids want to achieve, then they can in the worst of schools. But not every kid does. It's kids like my nephew who definitely shouldn't be in a public school. Not only does he disrupt the rest of the class, but he has plenty of fellow goofs to socialize with, as opposed to actually learning anything. And he just keeps getting passed on to the next grade.

I wish his parents would do something different with him, but that's their call. I worry a lot about this kid.

Last edited:

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Okay Nori, I'm just full of vinegar tonight for some reason.

Me too. :) I don't want to be rude. Homeschooling is a subject near and dear to my heart. But, like I said a couple of times, so is parenting. :)

I have a hard time when I see people telling other parents how to parent. I get it all the time from my own family. I think that's the main reason I keep wanting to stand up for SOTK (that, and I think he's a pretty nice guy). :)

I go through spurts with this. Most of the time, you will see me arguing for homeschooling. But, that's because most of the time people are saying that parents cannot teach their children as well as public school teachers can. Right now, it's more of a thing about parents being responsible for the choices about their own children.

BTW, I had an arguement with my mom today about my sister being responsible for her own children. That's one of the reasons my mom's moving back to California. She wants to "take care of my nephew." She's definitely not going to like my sister's plan to homeschool him and move him to Arkansas.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SOTK

Nori,

Thank you for your supportive and encouraging words! I sincerely appreciate them. :) I hope some of the others around here learn to follow your tact. It's one thing to disagree on an issue but quite another to pass judgement or to ridicule.

Not a problem. I just have to do and say what's in my heart.

I hope :jessilu: knows what a special mother she has in you!

In Christ,

SOTK

Not yet. She's 14 and "knows more than I do" right now. She'll realize that I'm not so stupid later in life. :chuckle:

SOTK

I'm not necessarily implying that it has anything to do with Public Education. Christine knows what I'm talking about. The comment was meant towards her, obviously, and not you. My kids attitude and behaviorisms come from my wife and I and our instruction of the Bible. In other words, they don't need homeschooling to be brought up right in Christ.

Shame?? You ought to be ashamed of yourself for even stooping to such a ridiculous and hurtful remark! My family is quite happy with our decisions regarding education and we do not require nor want your service. Instead, what we should have is your support, brotherly love, and acceptance. Obviously, that's too much to ask of you. Kindly reserve your "shame" for yourself.

In Christ,

SOTK

Last edited:

SOTK

Originally posted by ebenz47037

Not a problem. I just have to do and say what's in my heart.

Well, thanks again for continuing to stick up for me on this! I do realize what your opinion on this issue is, and I really don't have a problem with it. :) As I have said repeatedly, homeschooling has my support. I just don't think it's the only option. I came to a decision which I feel is the best for my children, and as you have so rightly and eloquently stated, it's my business.

As for your heart, it's a big one! :)

Originally posted by ebenz47037
Not yet. She's 14 and "knows more than I do" right now. She'll realize that I'm not so stupid later in life. :chuckle:

I can relate to that! :chuckle: She will realize it though! :)

In Christ,

SOTK

Christine

Originally posted by SOTK

Are you dense? My problem with you and how you disrespected me was explained quite clearly by myself and others in that last homeschooling thread of yours.
SOTK, the "others" you refer to our yourself and Firechyld. Unless I've forgotten someone, there was no one else saying that I was being disrespectful.

I stated often in that last thread that I respected your right to your opinions as long as you respected mine. As far as I am concerned, you sinned against me and remain unrepentant about it.
SINNED How? By supposedly disrespecting you???

I used to have a lot of respect for you, Christine, even though we haven't seen eye to eye on certain issues. Obviously, that has changed. You crossed the line and it's obvious to me you have a lot of growing up to do.
I have not changed. Perhaps your outlook on me has. Do I have some growing up to do, sure, but I'm not sure it's in the areas you think it is. My parents (the ones that matter here) see nothing wrong with what I do.

SOTK, you refer back quite a bit to the "other thread." Have you read our dialouge there lately? I asked you questions that were short and to the point. I could have been taken as being "curt" but I fail to see how I was disrespectful. However, the way you came at me, just because I asked you a few questions was quite strong. By the way, my father has cautioned me about how I debate with adults, such as yourself, who are older than me. He has told me to be respectful and courteous, but that is not to prevent me from debating with them or telling them they are wrong. How are you defining disrespectful?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Well, I'm saying it now. Christine, you have been very disrespectful in your attitude towards SOTK.

the Sibbie

Re: Homeschooling Robs Children

Home-schooling robs children
By MARGARET W. BOYCE

What an ego trip for a parent -- to be all things to your children, to
control every thought, every concept that enters their world.
I highly doubt some woman would bother to make the sacrifices that homeschooling moms need to make just for a good old ego trip.

There is far more to an education than a curriculum -- it
includes summer break, Friday nights and graduation.
It's news to me that homeschoolers don't have summer breaks, Friday nights to hang with friends and graduations. :rolleyes:

The real trip was for the mothers, who
received the big emotional rewards. My response is: Mothers, get a life. How
unfair it is for you to take away your own child's life in order to gratify
yours? Is this what we must expect from the "me first" generation as it
raises their families?
Actually, she's got it backwards. Mothers who homeschool there children are actually sacrificing a lot of their free time. I just recently talked to a mother who was proclaiming how glad she was to have her son out of the house every day now that he's started school. She also mentioned that her husband is at home during the day and leaves for work right before her son comes home from school. So he really misses his dad and won't be able to see him at all until maybe the weekends. I mentioned that she could homeschool him and she curtly said, "I'm not for homeschooling." Try telling me that that isn't a "me first" attitude!

The
public school system is the very cornerstone of democracy in America. We
need to cherish it and nurture it.
If my kids have a higher chance of getting shot or having to deal with all the peer-pressure of having sex at a young age, etc., NO THANKS! Judging by her attitude, I wouldn't want her kids' attitudes to rub off on my kids.

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by lighthouse

Well, I'm saying it now. Christine, you have been very disrespectful in your attitude towards SOTK.
Welcome to TruthSmack.com

philosophizer

Re: Homeschooling Robs Children

Home-schooling robs children
By MARGARET W. BOYCE

The role of a parent is vital in a child's education. However, without all
four of the pillars provided by home, school, church and community working
together, we have a precarious foundation for the next generation. The
public school system is the very cornerstone of democracy in America. We
need to cherish it and nurture it.

What a ridiculous article! She apparently subscribes to that whole "it takes a village" notion.

philosophizer

Originally posted by Crow

I wonder why this woman feels that homeschool kids have no friends? Or why she feels that it is her decision whether parents should have the option to school their kids or not?

She cites that one has to have a license to nurse and be a lawyer. This it true if one is doing this activity for the public for profit. One has the right to act as his own counsel without a law degree, just as parents have performed nursing activities for their kids and within ther families since time immemorable.

Kids have the right to an education. They do not have an obligation to a public school education. Homeschooling and private schools are a good alternative.

The Columbus Ohio area published a list of the schools it deemed to be substandard based on tests and how long the school had been on the list. Some had been there for 5 years. If I had a kid in one of those 5 year failures, I would be negligent if I let my kid go to such a miserable disgrace of a learning institution.

It's the parent's choice. And no one is destroying their community and joining the "opposition" if they homeschool. What a nutcase.

Right on! :thumb:

If my kids have a higher chance of getting shot or having to deal with all the peer-pressure of having sex at a young age, etc., NO THANKS! Judging by her attitude, I wouldn't want her kids' attitudes to rub off on my kids.

Frankly, I don't believe it's the peer pressure that has kids having sex at a young age, it's the pressure of the rather strong natural human sex drive. Those who have the conviction to resist it will do so regardless of any peer pressure. Those who do not have the conviction will give into it.

I think the quality of homeschooled education depends on the parents administering the lessons. My roommate in college was homeschooled, and he was perhaps the most intelligent and learned person I have ever known.

Then again, his mother was a professor of English and his father held a Master's in Mathematics and a Ph.D. in Literature, and was a freelance playwright...

I have a public school education. I am pleased with it. I enjoyed my time in high school, I had many great experiences, and what I learned adequately prepared me for college. I think that homeschool can work for some, while public school can work for others.

the Sibbie

Originally posted by avatar382

Frankly, I don't believe it's the peer pressure that has kids having sex at a young age, it's the pressure of the rather strong natural human sex drive. Those who have the conviction to resist it will do so regardless of any peer pressure. Those who do not have the conviction will give into it.
That's not true. Even if you have the conviction, after being around people with lower standards, you convincing yourself that perhaps bending the rules a bit won't harm anything, even when you know in the back of your head that you shouldn't be doing this and later on regret giving in to temptation. I'll shamefully admit that I'm guilty of this. :(

Actually what you said resembles something my aunt recently said to me. I mentioned that my cousin should just get married already since they already live together (which is pretend marriage). She (what I consider to be a strong Christian) said "Why? This way they still have that option to leave if they wanted to." Which shocked me coming from her. I told her, "But they are already acting like they are married. A piece of paper won't make much of a difference." She told me, "Well if they had the conviction that co-habiting is wrong they wouldn't do it." But I know that isn't true since there are plenty of Christians that do the very same thing, even if they know it's wrong. It's called weakness (in that state peer-pressure doesn't help). Just because someone can't overcome something doesn't make it right.