Homeschooling Robs Children

firechyld

The only reason any of you can think of for killing humans being wrong is "God said so"? You people scare me. And the "teacher" in the example is an idiot. I seriously doubt that scene would play out that way.

A quick question for homeschoolers: How does the homeschooling system prepare students for learning in a tertiary environment? Once a student hits university/college, they are going to have to know how to learn in a classroom environment. How do you deal with this when teaching a child in a homeschooling environment?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
fc-
God never said it was wrong to kill another human being. He said it was wrong to kill an innocent human, but it is not wrong simply because He said it is wrong. It was wrong well before that. Basically, it is not wrong because God said it is wrong, but rather, God said it is wrong, because it is wrong.

firechyld

God never said it was wrong to kill another human being. He said it was wrong to kill an innocent human, but it is not wrong simply because He said it is wrong. It was wrong well before that. Basically, it is not wrong because God said it is wrong, but rather, God said it is wrong, because it is wrong.

So why does the article imply that the "right" response to that question is "Because God said so"? That's just silly.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
The person who wrote the article has some good points, but isn't right about everything. But, as you do with Planned Parenthood, we can't throw it all away based on one faulty premise.

ShadowMaid

Originally posted by firechyld
A quick question for homeschoolers: How does the homeschooling system prepare students for learning in a tertiary environment? Once a student hits university/college, they are going to have to know how to learn in a classroom environment. How do you deal with this when teaching a child in a homeschooling environment?

Wow! That makes us sounds like we never experience outside life!

Those things that you mentioned don't seem like things that would take a long time to adapt to.

firechyld

lighthouse..

The person who wrote the article has some good points, but isn't right about everything. But, as you do with Planned Parenthood, we can't throw it all away based on one faulty premise.

I'm not throwing away all her points. I'm throwing away that ridiculous scenario and the conclusions she drew from it.

Shadowmaid...

Wow! That makes us sounds like we never experience outside life!

I'm not talking about outside life. I'm talking about a classroom learning situation. If you go on to tertiary education, you ARE going to have to know how to deal with it.

Those things that you mentioned don't seem like things that would take a long time to adapt to.

They are. I've been in classroom schooling my whole life, and I still have trouble adapting to the slightly different model that is a university lecture theatre and tutorial group. How much harder is that going to be for a student who has never had to deal with a classroom situation?

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Look, the problem with most Public Schools is not necessarily the School.
Right, it's the government school system.

It's parents.
Wrong. If you understood anything about human nature, you would understand that when responsibility is taken where it was previously held by someone else, the person that held it before tends to relinquish their responsibility. If you want parents to be responsible, then don't advocate a system that allows the removal of parent's responsibility, which is what public school allows.

Sure, there are bad school administrators and there are bad teachers. Some Public Schools in some states and in some cities are probably terrible, however, the success of a child's education isn't completely dependent upon the school, the teacher, or the administrators. The success of the child's education is dependent upon the active involvement of the parents in their children's lives.
Right! The success of a child's education is dependent upon the active involvement of the parents in their children's lives! That's a great description for homeschooling. Why do you subject your children to government schools whose intent is to thwart your premise?

If a kid fails, it's because his parents let him fail.
That, and the government schools don't care if the kid fails, either. Read the book.

Most schools offer solid curriculum…
Except for the part where they teach the children they are slime that came to life by accident. And another part where they discourage phonics. And the other parts where teachers who teach bad things are rarely discouraged.

…and most teachers are good teachers.
This would only be true if teachers didn't know how bad the system was. They do know how bad it is, so they are culpable. We know this is true because:
1. My mother, a teacher in the late 50's early 60's recognized how bad the system was even in the "good" school districts, and the system certainly hasn't gotten better with age!
2. John Taylor Gatto chronicles the evidence, read about it here: http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/
3. The Thomas B. Fordham Institute tracks the percentage of public school teachers that send their kids to private school (Hint – the percentage is WWWWWAAAAAYYYYYY higher than the general population, even in rural districts)

In fact, most teachers have my sincere respect. My dad is a teacher, my grandmother was a teacher, and I have three aunts and one cousin who are teachers.
Now I see you have an emotional interest in saying public schools are good. I understand, but you should at least learn to temper your loyalties with some facts.

What a fantastic job! Yes, they get paid for this job, but they are also being of service. They need support from their communities and from their classes' parents, because it is a big job. If they fail, it's because their classes' parents failed them. It always goes back to the parents. If a child is struggling, the parent needs to step in. If a parent wants their child to learn more on a subject, than the parent needs to step in.
Patently wrong. See above.

Speaking of parental involvement, my family is Christian. We are raising our children as Christians. They are involved in our Church, go to Sunday School, choir, Awana, and are taught the Bible by their parents. As I'm sure you do, we parent with God and His Word in mind. Our kids are taught to have faith and to lean on Him.
Great. Your children might survive because you are doing so well with them when they are not in school. Just remember, they will survive because of your constant re-training, and in spite of their schooling.

Forgive me for saying this, but I sometimes wonder how much faith you have in your children and in God by how much some of you homeschoolers fear Public Education. Sure, some things at school are different than what is taught at home. They experience different schools of thought and meet different children who are raised differently. You fear this. I can see it in your words. I just don't. I really don't think it confuses them as much as you would have us Christian Public School supporters believe. In fact, I've seen the opposite. I think it strengthens the Christian child's faith as well as provides opportunites for growth, for compassion, for realistic questions, for witnessing, and for love.
At least you admit it takes faith to put one's children in harm's way. Frankly, I keep my kids out of danger. But I guess I'm funny that way.

So, danger? My kids are only in danger if I abandon them from my involvement in their education.......from their lives.
At least you admit that leaving kids on their own is dangerous. And especially because the evidence is clear that many wolves prowl the government schools systems hallways with impunity (even encouragement). And this, coupled with the fact that the only system that lets you leave-your-kids-and-forget-about-them is the government schools system. It's hard to do if you are private schooling, and almost impossible with homeschooling.

What do you think, Yorzhic, Christian familes who choose public education are not involved? What do you think.....that we just have them go to school and call it good? No, we most certainly don't. My wife volunteers in our kids classes and I visit often. Besides this, there are huge amounts of time spent with our kids and their homework as well as our own brand or twist on what they have learned. A lot of you "Christian" homeschoolers attempt to paint the average Christian public schoolers as stupid and uninvolved.....that we are monsters for sending our kids to Public School.
Just remember, they will survive because of your involvement, and in spite of the schooling they get in the government school system.

See, this is why I get so upset with Christians like you. You aren't any better than the dysfunctional organized religion type Christians that I have chosen to stay away from for so long. You seem to have it in your head that if a Christian doesn't do something which you think is Christian we aren't Christian. I know, I know.....you haven't said that, but that's what I perceive to come next.
That would only be because you are irrational and paranoid. Instead of understanding the compelling evidence presented to you for your own good; instead you stop your ears and scream pejoratives at those who disagree with you.

Christine came dangerously close to that and might have well said it. It's in her words and it's in yours. It's in a lot of posters I see at TOL who go out of their way to blast Public Education and any Christian who chooses to not completely agree that Homeschooling is the only option.
Anyone who's read this thread even superficially realizes that you are overstating the situation. Why do you overstate it? What are you afraid of? Possibilities include: your emotional attachment to teachers in your family, or you know you are putting your children at risk and don't want to realize your internal conflict, or both. You might even have another reason you haven't alluded to, but these are the only two you've mentioned so far.

Case in point; you just attempted to paint an even worse picture of me by comparing my support of public education with abortion....murder. That I'm causing the destruction of my kids like I would if I aborted them! You're sick, and I feel sorry for you.
I was using a bit of a generality there. Abortion doesn't kill all the kids that undergo the procedure, but that is the aim of abortion. So because that is the intent of abortion, we say, "don't have an abortion and destroy your children." even though not ALL children are sure to be murdered by abortion. In the same way, the intent of public schools is to harm your children, so we use the English literary convention of speaking of a part being the whole.

Your attempt to say that I'm equating abortion with public school when my intent to show that we should care for one another is clear and telling of your shrill extremist stance.

You have done nothing but convince me that I have made the right decision and as Nori has warned....... pushed me even further away from ever considering homeschooling, or at the very least, supporting it. In fact, other than Nori and a few other homeschoolers I respect at TOL and in my own life, I'm beginning to have a low opinion of most of you.
Good! I'm glad we are getting you to commit one way or the other. As God said, "I'd rather you be hot or cold."

There.....that's more than I was gonna post and more than you deserve. This all started because I stated that it was "okay" to believe in other options besides homeschool.
That's a lie, we've all stated there are more options than just homeshooling (although homeschooling is the best option). Tutoring and private school (if one chooses a good one) are good options as well. You didn't "stated that it was "okay" to believe in other options besides homeschool", you said that public school was a GOOD idea. And that deserves a rebuttle.

I was attacked....not the other way around. In fact, I have stated from the beginning that it's a personal decision. A parent's decision.....a decision which is none of your business and none of mine. If you take anything away from this argument, I hope you take away that. As I have said before, homeschoolers are entitled to their opinions. In the future, I just hope some of you learn to "sell" it in a different way. Obviously, attempting to demonize us isn't gonna work.

SOTK
I don't know about that SOTK. I'm mean, it seems that attacking you and demonizing you has resulted in one good thing… at least you seem to be solidly cold now.

And one more thing, it is my business to warn people that they are putting their kids in harm's way.

Christine

firechyld,

The "scenario and the conclusions" seem ridiculous to all those who ignore, reject, and defy God the Creator. Any vestige of morality and truth in these non-ordained institutions and reprobate people are borrowed, or stolen, capital from God's system of morality and truth. Only the Christian worldview is intelligible. All others, shall we say, are "just silly."

Christine's dad

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hey, Christine's dad, glad to see you jump in here. And that's a great point you make, as well!

Crow

And that may well change. I don't know about Aussieland, but there is a trend in the US for more and more schools to allow some of their courses to be taken online, and in some cases, one can earn their degree entirely online from a "traditional" school. People with GEDs are admitted to tertiary environments and do just fine. People leave educational institutions and enter the job force, which is nothing like school, and manage to learn.

I imagine if homeschoolers were all failing miserably in college and flunking out in droves, people wouldn't homeschool their kids, but that doesn't seem to be the case. They adjust just fine.

I've seen 60 year olds learn to use computers and the net, firechyld. Most people are pretty adaptable.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hi Christine's dad! :wave:

Crow

I went to over a dozen schools in my first 9 grades--a result of my family moving frequently. I adapted to everything from private schools to a private tutor to a huge inner city school to a small public school in the sticks. True, I didn't learn much of anything at school because my father also taught me at home and I tested out several grades ahead of my level throughout my class clown career. But when there was something new to learn in school, I did.

If a kid is so unadaptable that they cannot adapt to a new system of learning, then a public school grad could not adapt to college, as it is much different than high school. Nor could anyone make the transition from school to job, and we know that most do fine. There will always be some unadaptable people, firechyld, but I believe that is a personal quality, not a result of how one is educated.

firechyld

Christine's dad...

firechyld,

The "scenario and the conclusions" seem ridiculous to all those who ignore, reject, and defy God the Creator. Any vestige of morality and truth in these non-ordained institutions and reprobate people are borrowed, or stolen, capital from God's system of morality and truth. Only the Christian worldview is intelligible. All others, shall we say, are "just silly."

Christine's dad

Hrmmm. I can see where your daughter gets much of her attitude.

My point was that the author painted a highly inaccurate and unlikely picture of a classroom situation, and then proceeded to draw extreme conclusions from that example. That's all I meant by my statement... not that homeschooling is necessarily a bad choice.

Drawing those same conclusions from more realistic scenarios, or (even better!) from actual data, would not be as ridiculous as the example given.

Crow...

And that may well change. I don't know about Aussieland, but there is a trend in the US for more and more schools to allow some of their courses to be taken online, and in some cases, one can earn their degree entirely online from a "traditional" school. People with GEDs are admitted to tertiary environments and do just fine. People leave educational institutions and enter the job force, which is nothing like school, and manage to learn.

I imagine if homeschoolers were all failing miserably in college and flunking out in droves, people wouldn't homeschool their kids, but that doesn't seem to be the case. They adjust just fine.

I've seen 60 year olds learn to use computers and the net, firechyld. Most people are pretty adaptable.

I wasn't intending to imply that homeschooled kids will necessarily flunk out of college... just that they're on the back foot when it comes to adjusting to tertiary learning environments. I was wondering how homeschooling parents deal with that, if they deal with it at all.

It may not be a critical issue, but anything that disadvantages your kid should be addressed.

Crow

I wasn't intending to imply that homeschooled kids will necessarily flunk out of college... just that they're on the back foot when it comes to adjusting to tertiary learning environments. I was wondering how homeschooling parents deal with that, if they deal with it at all.

It may not be a critical issue, but anything that disadvantages your kid should be addressed.

Most of the people I personally knew who had difficulty in college did so because they could not adjust to having to discipline themselves to study and pull material from text as opposed to having someone lecture it to them. They simply did not have the discipline to make themselves seek knowledge that was not lectured to them. Suddenly, instead of spending 40 ish hours a week in class, they only spent about 15.

Homeschoolers as a whole come to a tertiary school with more independent study skills, and I would suspect a bit more disciplined. I don't see this as being on the "back foot."

It's up to the parents which perceived advantage they desire for their kids.

firechyld

Most of the people I personally knew who had difficulty in college did so because they could not adjust to having to discipline themselves to study and pull material from text as opposed to having someone lecture it to them. They simply did not have the discipline to make themselves seek knowledge that was not lectured to them. Suddenly, instead of spending 40 ish hours a week in class, they only spent about 15.

Homeschoolers as a whole come to a tertiary school with more independent study skills, and I would suspect a bit more disciplined. I don't see this as being on the "back foot."

It's up to the parents which perceived advantage they desire for their kids.

Fair call. :)

Still... do we have any homeschooling parents around whose kids are university age, or near university age? I'd like to know if anyone has had some experience with this...

Crow

Fair call. :)

Still... do we have any homeschooling parents around whose kids are university age, or near university age? I'd like to know if anyone has had some experience with this...

Christine is about 18--ask her.

I recently took courses on the net. Much nicer than getting out of my butt-ugly tore up garden clothes and making the commute. You lose out on some of the social aspects, but I can socialize plenty without school.

Crow

I know some friends from PA who's kids went to college after homeschooling, but they did not do it in the "straight from school" way--they went into the armed forces, and took some classes while there via distance learning, so those would not be typical cases. When they first set foot on a college campus, they will be several years older than many of their peers, with around 2 years worth of credits and government money to pay for the rest of their education.

There are probably a few around here somewhere who went from homeschooling to college in a more traditional way.

My friends kids did not take this option because they did not want to graduate with huge debt hanging over their heads. Their way, they will have most of their education paid for by the time they graduate. They have done well, both in their military service and their distance courses, so far.