ECT Holy Laughter: Christian Behavior or Something Else

nikolai_42

Nik, ya gotta know that there is a Spirit bearing witness; the Holy Spirit Jesus said would guide us into ALL TRUTH.

I agree...110%!

But does that always mean our inital responses are correct?

EDIT : And what do you tell someone who doesn't have the discernment? Who do they believe? There has to be some grounding beyond "I feel it's correct"

Aimiel

Through His guidance, I've seen salvation happen from my preaching or sharing and healing happen through my prayers, I've seen wonders, signs and heard angels. I expect even more in the future.

God's Truth

Through His guidance, I've seen salvation happen from my preaching or sharing and healing happen through my prayers, I've seen wonders, signs and heard angels. I expect even more in the future.

We still have to watch our doctrine closely.

1 Timothy 4:16 Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.

Cross Reference

That is a lot of insinuation packed into a single sentence. I can only take it that you distrust his ministry because of its size and popularity?

Lets leave this with me answering your above question:

I don't believe preaching to the church should be anyone's ministry.

You mentioned Jesus. Jesus never preached. He taught and not to a church __ and the crowds were different no doubt, when He did teach.

Omt: Do you teach? A teacher should teach what God gives him to teach. He should spiritually own what he teaches. Sorry, no canned sermons alowed.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I was EXTREMELY skeptical of 'holy laughter' until I attended a meeting where just that broke out through the crowd. The preacher testified that he had heard of hundreds of cases of lifelong depression being lifted when people encountered laughter brought on in a meeting by The Holy Ghost. I couldn't stop laughing, and though I was not suffering from depression, it was an experience I will never forget. He asked that anyone with a healing testimony come forward to testify as to what The Lord had done and I've never seen a longer line of people waiting to testify. The first one to speak couldn't stop laughing long enough to testify and the laughter continued for hours. We came back through the convention center about an hour-and-a-half after they excused everyone and there were still several dozen people lying in the floor or sitting in their seats laughing un-controllably. I believe it is a wonder and KNOW that it was God. You don't have to guess when it is from God. If there is any doubt, it is NOT God. It was NOT manufactured. It was The Holy Spirit Who brought it to pass.

It can certainly be a release from hidden tensions.

LA

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Anyone watch the videos I posted? Anyone have anything they want to say about it? I posted it for your benefit. It would be descent and right to comment on it.

None of it is, of God! That's all we need to know! The Pentecostal/
Charismatics have always been a little "Strange!" Barking, standing
up in church and supposedly delivering a message from God, jerking
their heads back and forth, crawling on the floor like an animal,
acting drunk, laughing hysterically, etc. None of that comes from
God! It's emotionalism gone mad! These "churches" look like a
representation of "Bedlam!"

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
I think most of this nonsense occurred in the 1990s? Todd Bentley bragged
about kicking an older woman in the face with his "biker boot!" He claimed
God told him to do it!

rougueone

Spurgeon embodied this passage :

Of such an one will I glory: yet of myself I will not glory, but in mine infirmities.
For though I would desire to glory, I shall not be a fool; for I will say the truth: but now I forbear, lest any man should think of me above that which he seeth me to be, or that he heareth of me.
And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.
For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

2 Corinthians 12:5-10

When I read men like Spurgeon and John Newton, I see the utter dependence on God that defined their lives. Men who know (in a real and deep sense) that they cannot lead their own lives but are called to reflect His and be led by His Spirit.

AMEN X's 100,000,000,000,000...............

Wisdom from Oswald Chambers

To those who have had no agony Jesus says, “I have nothing for you; stand on your own feet, square your own shoulders. I have come for the man who knows he has a bigger handful than he can cope with, who knows there are forces he cannot touch; I will do everything for him if he will let Me. Only let a man grant he needs it, and I will do it for him.”
The Shadow of an Agony

Aimiel

The shaking, barking, falling down and other such stuff is (most often) flesh on parade. There's no Holy Spirit involved, it's the person's own spirit or mind driving it. God doesn't want anyone to fall down due to His Presence. He wants people to stand in His Presence. Again: there wouldn't be counterfeit wonders if there weren't real ones the enemy is trying to foist upon us. Discernment is necessary. There is coming a time when one will have to be filled with The Holy Spirit in order to survive. It's here now.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
First, a definition from Wikipedia on what Holy Laughter is for any that might not know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_laughter

From the Grace to You website, the following article from Phil Johnson:

http://www.gty.org/blog/B130610/not-laughing-now

My wife and I left the Charismatic movement before "Holy Laughter" became more common in the movement. We left because of the influx of "New Age" ideas and techniques being brought into the Church. To see "Holy Laughter" in action, just go to youtube.

After viewing youtube videos, what do you think? Is there a connection between the "New Age Movement" and "Holy Laughter"?

1 Corinthians 14:33 for God is not a God of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints.

Its something else.

Cross Reference

AMEN X's 100,000,000,000,000...............

Wisdom from Oswald Chambers

To those who have had no agony Jesus says, “I have nothing for you; stand on your own feet, square your own shoulders. I have come for the man who knows he has a bigger handful than he can cope with, who knows there are forces he cannot touch; I will do everything for him if he will let Me. Only let a man grant he needs it, and I will do it for him.”
The Shadow of an Agony

How much has Chambers affected your over all understanding, roug? What works do you possess of him?