ECT Holy Laughter: Christian Behavior or Something Else

nikolai_42

I was EXTREMELY skeptical of 'holy laughter' until I attended a meeting where just that broke out through the crowd. The preacher testified that he had heard of hundreds of cases of lifelong depression being lifted when people encountered laughter brought on in a meeting by The Holy Ghost. I couldn't stop laughing, and though I was not suffering from depression, it was an experience I will never forget. He asked that anyone with a healing testimony come forward to testify as to what The Lord had done and I've never seen a longer line of people waiting to testify. The first one to speak couldn't stop laughing long enough to testify and the laughter continued for hours. We came back through the convention center about an hour-and-a-half after they excused everyone and there were still several dozen people lying in the floor or sitting in their seats laughing un-controllably. I believe it is a wonder and KNOW that it was God. You don't have to guess when it is from God. If there is any doubt, it is NOT God. It was NOT manufactured. It was The Holy Spirit Who brought it to pass.

I was reading something recently by a man skeptical of an older "revival". His statement was that the test of the revival was not the immediate fruit but the long term fruit. Emotions and endorphines are powerful (short-term) things. If you went back to the same people a year after that, would their depression still be gone? And remember, the fruit that immediately sprung up usually has no good root...

Cross Reference

I was EXTREMELY skeptical of 'holy laughter' until I attended a meeting where just that broke out through the crowd. The preacher testified that he had heard of hundreds of cases of lifelong depression being lifted when people encountered laughter brought on in a meeting by The Holy Ghost. I couldn't stop laughing, and though I was not suffering from depression, it was an experience I will never forget. He asked that anyone with a healing testimony come forward to testify as to what The Lord had done and I've never seen a longer line of people waiting to testify. The first one to speak couldn't stop laughing long enough to testify and the laughter continued for hours. We came back through the convention center about an hour-and-a-half after they excused everyone and there were still several dozen people lying in the floor or sitting in their seats laughing un-controllably. I believe it is a wonder and KNOW that it was God. You don't have to guess when it is from God. If there is any doubt, it is NOT God. It was NOT manufactured. It was The Holy Spirit Who brought it to pass.

I, too, have witnessed quite a bit, i.e., folk standing motionless for way long periods of time looking like a windmill and other such extra normal displays including, of course, laughing.

Here is what I see that adds to make confusion of all this in the minds of the believer [skeptics I dismiss], i.e., the opportunity to witmess of real live wheat and tares being expressed/witnessed in the same room. The counterfeit and the genuine all together with the sign seekers exploited by Satan in bringing about the confusion.

OMT that bothers me: Where are the changed lives from it all?

Aimiel

I was reading something recently by a man skeptical of an older "revival". His statement was that the test of the revival was not the immediate fruit but the long term fruit. Emotions and endorphines are powerful (short-term) things. If you went back to the same people a year after that, would their depression still be gone? And remember, the fruit that immediately sprung up usually has no good root...

Wow. You're good at spotting clouds in silver linings. :duh:

nikolai_42

Wow. You're good at spotting clouds in silver linings. :duh:

People who look for such signs are usually people who follow "moves" - both of which are serious concerns. And that was the point of the OP - "holy laughter" as a movement.

God's Truth

I've previously seen videos of people howling and barking like dogs. Since dogs are considered an unclean animal, I have a difficult time believing those instances were brought on by the Holy Spirit. Watching some of the videos in the past have sent chills up my spine, and not the good kind.

Excellent point about people making barking sounds like dogs. Since when is sounding like a dog something the Holy Spirit wants us to do?

I was surprised to see Kenneth Copeland accepting of this type of "anointing".

I know this woman who went to one of the churches mentioned in the video that does these things. This woman said she couldn't stop laughing and had so much fun. She told me about all kinds of sounds people were making and rolling on the floor. She wouldn't watch the youtube videos I sent her, and she acted like I was trying to destroy her happiness. She asked what will it hurt as long as it makes her feel good.

nikolai_42

Depressing.

And there, I think, is the problem. People can't often distinguish between the work of God in one individual and the work of God in large numbers at once (not today, anyway). That is, just because one applies biblical reasoning to a large scale event, doesn't mean everyone is lumped into the same category. That, in fact, was part of my point. Not to judge anything before its time - which, in fact, those who want to jump on the bandwagon immediately are actually doing as well.

It shouldn't be confused with acknowledging the work of God in an individual's life. But that was not what I was doing.

This is one of the problems of signs and wonders - it only appeals to the immediate.

God's Truth

I, too, have witnessed quite a bit, i.e., folk standing motionless for way long periods of time looking like a windmill and other such extra normal displays including, of course, laughing.

Here is what I see that adds to make confusion of all this in the minds of the believer [skeptics I dismiss], i.e., the opportunity to witmess of real live wheat and tares being expressed/witnessed in the same room. The counterfeit and the genuine all together with the sign seekers exploited by Satan in bringing about the confusion.

OMT that bothers me: Where are the changed lives from it all?

You are missing the point. There is no truth in any of that kind of behavior.

Aimiel

One thing that most people don't realize is that God has feelings. He loves to laugh. He cries. His feelings are far more profound, deep and pure than ours. When He is in a giving mood, He gives good gifts to His children. He wants to give eternal life to every soul, if they'll believe in Him. I believe that we'll see even greater signs, wonders and miracles than men have yet seen or even imagined, before we get this job done.

nikolai_42

One thing that most people don't realize is that God has feelings. He loves to laugh. He cries. His feelings are far more profound, deep and pure than ours. When He is in a giving mood, He gives good gifts to His children. He wants to give eternal life to every soul, if they'll believe in Him. I believe that we'll see even greater signs, wonders and miracles than men have yet seen or even imagined, before we get this job done.

How are you going to distinguish between true miracles and lying signs and wonders? Remember that even Pharaoh's magicians could apparently "replicate" some of the judgments God brought on Egypt...

And he doeth great wonders, so that he maketh fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men,
And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.
And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.

Revelation 13:13-15

And I saw three unclean spirits like frogs come out of the mouth of the dragon, and out of the mouth of the beast, and out of the mouth of the false prophet.
For they are the spirits of devils, working miracles, which go forth unto the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty.

Revelation 16:13-14

And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.
Revelation 19:20

Cross Reference

I want a sustaining message, the srength of Himself that I know will keep me during the period of tribulation that is quickly approaching, should my years be prolonged to experience it..

Excellent point about people making barking sounds like dogs. Since when is sounding like a dog something the Holy Spirit wants us to do?

I was surprised to see Kenneth Copeland accepting of this type of "anointing".

I know this woman who went to one of the churches mentioned in the video that does these things. This woman said she couldn't stop laughing and had so much fun. She told me about all kinds of sounds people were making and rolling on the floor. She wouldn't watch the youtube videos I sent her, and she acted like I was trying to destroy her happiness. She asked what will it hurt as long as it makes her feel good.
That's a troubleling attitude. Is that what church has become? A place to just feel good? There are drug dens where people just want to feel good.

nikolai_42

I want a sustaining message, the srength of Himself that I know will keep me during the period of tribulation that is quickly approaching, should my years be prolonged to experience it..

Behold, the hour cometh, yea, is now come, that ye shall be scattered, every man to his own, and shall leave me alone: and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me.
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

John 16:32-33

Aimiel

Was there anything at the service that made you feel uncomfortable, not of the Holy Spirit? Or were you convinced this was of the Holy Spirit from the beginning? You may not be able to answer this, but did anyone claim healing who has now lost that healing? I believe God's healing is normally permanent, not dependent upon our emotion.

I know when it is God.

Aimiel

I've previously seen videos of people howling and barking like dogs. Since dogs are considered an unclean animal, I have a difficult time believing those instances were brought on by the Holy Spirit. Watching some of the videos in the past have sent chills up my spine, and not the good kind.

There wouldn't be counterfeit if there weren't any genuine wonders.